Location and Natural Features | Water Powers|
Grain and Fruit Raising | Early History
Early History of Fremont | A Reminiscence|
Organization | Means of Communication|
County Schools--County Poor
The County Agricultural Society
Fremont: Corporate History | Schools | City Park|
Fremont (cont.): The Press | Fire Department | Fires|
The First and The Last Murder | Societies
Business of Fremont | Banks | Shed's Opera House
Fremont (cont.): Hotels | Board of Trade|
Manufactories | Biographical Sketches
Fremont (cont.): Biographical Sketches (cont.)|
Fremont (cont.): Biographical Sketches (cont.)|
Fremont (cont.): Biographical Sketches (cont.)|
Fremont (cont.): Biographical Sketches (cont.)|
North Bend: Early History | The North Bend of Today|
North Bend (cont.): Biographical Sketches (cont.)|
Scribner: Biographical Sketches|
Pebble: Biographical Sketches
Hooper: Biographical Sketches|
Cuming Precinct: (Biographical Sketches)
Everett Precinct | Maple Precinct
Union Precinct | Webster Precinct | Elkhorn Precinct
List of Illustrations in Dodge County Chapter
Eno's Hotel.--This fine house, formerly known as the Occidental Hotel, is located on the corner of Sixth and Broad streets. It is especially popular with traveling men. The furnishings of the house are rich and tasteful, and the hotel is first-class in every respect. It is operated by E. L. Eno. The house, which is a large three-story brick structure, was erected by a stock company consisting of J. G. Smith, Towner Smith, Theron Nye, George W. E. Dorsey and S. B. Colson. It contains eighty rooms, and is 96x92 feet on the ground. The cost of its erection was $35,000.
The New York Hotel, situated on the corner of Main and Fifth streets, was erected in 1876 by the present manager and proprietor, J. N. McElroy. The house was opened to guests in July of that year, and has since maintained itself in the good graces of the public. The dimensions of the main building are 44x44 feet. It is three stories in height, with a tasteful mansard slate roof and an imposing cupola. The structure is of brick, with a wooden L behind, 30x22 feet. The hotel will comfortably accommodate seventy-five guests. Mr. McElroy has so been overrun with patronage that he has been obliged to rent rooms near by for the convenience of guests, so that the measure of his accommodations has been almost doubled. The property of the hotel proper is valued at $15,000. A four-story addition, 36x72 feet, is now being constructed.
The City Hotel, located on Main street between Fifth and Sixth, is one of the leading public houses of Fremont--in favor with a large class of people. J. H. Meyer, its popular landlord, erected the building in 1873, and has since remained sole proprietor. It is a wooden structure, two stories high, and will accommodate fifty guests. For their convenience a good livery stable is attached to the hotel. The value of the property, as it stands, is $10,000.
The European Hotel was erected by its present proprietor, Christ. Gabler, in 1881. It is a tasty-looking frame building, situated on Main street. It can accommodate twenty-five guests comfortably, and, together with the lot, is valued at $10,000.
There are a number of smaller hotels and boarding-houses scattered throughout the city. Chief are the Farmer's Hotel, built in 1867 by H. O. Matz, and now operated by H. O. Matz, Jr.; the Turn Halle, occupied by John Knoell; the Northwestern, by C. C. Thompson, and the Omaha, by John Jonas.
This was organized May 29, 1880, by the prominent business men of the city, a meeting having been called at the City Hall for the purpose. The following were the original members of the board: Z. Shed, G. W. E. Dorsey, L. D. Richards, Manley Rogers, Andreesen & Meyer, L. M. Keene, C. Christensen, H. J. Lee & Co., Nye, Colson & Co., Otto Magenau, Cole & Pilsbury, Arthur Gibson, D. Crowell, Huette & Son, Hopkins & Millard, J. J. Hawthorne, E. H. Barnard, Welty & Shervin.
The first officers elected were: President, Manley Rogers; First Vice President, H. J. Lee; Second Vice President, Otto Huette; Secretary, Arthur Gibson; Treasurer, E. N. Andreesen. The objects of the organization, as expressed in the preamble, are to promote the commercial, manufacturing and general interests of the city of Fremont and Dodge County.
Its meetings are monthly. Any business man of the city may become a member. Its membership at present comprises thirty-three of the business men of Fremont. Through its efforts the city has established its extensive creamery and canning works, as well as the free bridge across the Platte River. The present officers of the board are: President, Manley Rogers; First Vice President, H. J. Lee; Second Vice President, Otto Huette; Secretary, Arthur Gibson; Treasurer, A. P. Hopkins; Executive Committee, L. D. Richards, E. H. Barnard, Otto Magenau, L. M. Keene, William Fried, H. Fuhrman and George W. E. Dorsey.
Fremont Creamery.--One of the manufactures which is giving the city a name as a business center, is the creamery now being operated by a joint-stock company and situated in the southern part of Fremont, beyond the Sioux City & Pacific depot. It commenced business in November, 1881, and arrangements are still progressing to make it one of the most complete establishments of the kind in the United States. At first there was little faith in the practicability of the undertaking. J. J. Hawthorne, however, was the strong believer, when nearly everybody else wavered. He pressed the matter forcibly before the Board of Trade, and almost alone created a public sentiment in favor of the enterprise. To the energy of Otto Magenau is also much of the final success of the enterprise due. Some of the most prominent business men of Fremont are now stockholders, such as Messrs. M. Rogers, George W. E. Dorsey, O. Magenau, A. P. Hopkins, L. D. Richards, C. Christensen, E. H. Barnard, Theo. Huette, etc. The officers of the association are: J. D. Avery, President; Otto Magenau, First Vice President; L. D. Richards, Second Vice President; Otto Huette, Secretary; E. H. Barnard, Treasurer. When fairly in operation, it is estimated that the creamery will require milk of 2,000 and the cream of 5,000 cows to fulfill all requirements. J. D. Avery, President of the association and Superintendent of the factory, has had an experience of twenty years in the creamery districts of New York, and is well qualified to carry on this large undertaking to a complete success. The cheese-maker, C. W. Stevenson, the engineer and miller, P. Mickkelson, in fact most of the employes are not only experienced hands, but have seen service under the superintendency of Mr. Avery. The building, which presents a very substantial appearance, is built of red brick, and cost over $20,000. The plans were the work of Charles F. Driscoll, of Omaha; the contractor was Peter Nehrboss, of Fremont, and the entire erection has progressed under the personal supervision of Mr. Avery. Neither pains, money nor talent have been spared in any detail. One feature in the arrangement of the building is quite novel, but must prove of much advantage. All employes are to reside in the creamery. They will, therefore, always be on hand, ready to work. The living apartments on the second floor have been pleasantly furnished for this purpose. Everything, in short, points to the assurance that the creamery and those interested in it have "come to stay." Several of the largest stockholders have even purchased herds of cows, and are furnishing the creamery with much of the material supplied. Much stock has been sent from Kansas. Mr. Magenau has himself gone so far as to purchase a large farm and stock it, so positive is his conviction that the creamery is the "biggest thing on ice."
The building is situated near the Sioux City & Pacific and the Union Pacific depots, so that a side track will be built to it at little expense. Its dimensions are 50x100 feet, two and three stories high. It contains within the main walls thirty three rooms, exclusive of halls, including two refrigerators inclosed by four walls, three of which are built of brick and the space between filled with charcoal. The inside wall is made of ceiling one inch thick. The ice room is situated directly over the refrigerators, and is so arranged that a current of air is constantly passing over the ice and into the refrigerators, so that the latter can be kept at any desired temperature above 36°F. These arrangements insure sweet butter at all seasons of the year. The facilities for receiving milk and cream at the elevated driveway into the weighing-can, thence to the receiving vats on a lower level, are all brought to perfection with a view of saving labor and economizing both in strength and money expended. The milk vats (or cream-rising vats) are ten in number, and hold 4,500 pounds each. As in all creameries operated on modern principles, the milk is drawn off from below, leaving the cream to be collected afterward. Frazier's improved gang presses, having a capacity of twenty cheeses each, are brought into play. When fully pressed, they are placed in one of the curing rooms, which unitedly have a capacity of over five thousand cheeses. The curing process requires from thirty to sixty days. In the manufacture of butter, the cream is conveyed by conductors into vats standing in the butter room, provided for its reception. The churn is of 800 gallons capacity.
The following additional facts, taken from a local print, furnish everything else necessary to a complete understanding of this very complete establishment: The basement and first floor, including the floor of the refrigerators, are of patent stone and cement, laid by Samuel Hawver, of Omaha, and M. G. Cook of Fremont, and are equal in every respect to stone itself. The whey and buttermilk is conducted by means of stone underground pipes to vats about seventy-five feet west of the building, the whey for distribution among the farmers, and the buttermilk to be sold to such parties as desire to buy, patrons of the creamery always having the preference. The waste waters and slops are conducted by stone pipes to two cesspools about two hundred feet east and southwest from the building. These pools are laid with brick and arched over, preventing any possibility of offensive odors ever arising from them. All the openings to waste pipes and whey and buttermilk conductors, fourteen in number, are trapped, so as to prevent any possible taint or scent from these openings to reach the building.
The boiler, engine and fuel rooms are located in the southwest corner of the building. The boiler and engine were manufactured at the Fremont Foundry and Machine Shops, the latter having a capacity of twenty-horse power, and the former of thirty-horse power, furnishing steam for heating the entire building, from basement to garret, running the elevator, feed-grinding mill; curd-worker, churn and butter worker, also a rotary pump, with a capacity of throwing 120 gallons a minute.
The three floors directly over the last-mentioned rooms, are devoted to the grinding and storing of grain and feed. The grain elevator takes the grain from the basement to the third and fourth stories where are located the stock-hoppers, from which the buhr, which is on the second floor, is fed directly. The buhr is self-feeding, and has a capacity of sixty bushels per hour. The storage capacity for grain and feed is between one and two thousand bushels. This department is for the benefit of patrons of the creamery, that they may have the advantage of feeding ground feed to their milk cows. In this locality, where water and other cheap powers are not to be had, this branch is indispensable, and will prove a great benefit to the dairy men.
Foundry and Machine Shops.--In November, 1873, George Maxwell built a small foundry on First street. This he operated alone for four years. In 1877, Mr. Sang was admitted into partnership, the firm name being E. M. Maxwell & Co. In 1881, the firm of Maxwell & Sang was formed, and in May of that year a change in location to the present one was made. During the latter portion of that year, the partnership was dissolved by mutual consent, and Mr. Sang assumed entire control. The buildings, as they now stand, consist of a foundry, machine shop, etc., covering an area of 152x40 feet. Engines, boilers, hay and printing presses--everything in these lines--are manufactured. Mr. Sang is making arrangements to build a large blacksmith-shop, and add a bolt cutter, trip hammer, heading machine and other machinery, so that his present capacity for turning out work will be nearly doubled.
Maxwell's Foundry.--In January, 1882, Mr. Maxwell commenced the erection of buildings for a machine and general repairing shop. The main building is 74x26 feet, with an addition 30x24 feet. The shops will be put into operation at once, and be one of the leading industries of Fremont.
Lowry & Markey's Carriage Works and General Repairing Shop.--This establishment, located corner of Fourth and F streets, is one of the leading manufactories of Fremont. The buildings were erected, and the business was established by Messrs. Bellows & Crow in 1877. They continued to manage the business for two years, when the present firm rented the buildings. One year ago, they purchased the works, and now run them as their own property. The members of the firm are J. J. Lowry and J. D. Markey. Their factory, a two-story frame building, is 24x40 feet, and the general repairing shop 20x54 feet. An annual business of over $15,000 is transacted.
Fremont Flour and Feed Mills were erected in 1867. Messrs. Ostergard & Mikkelson sold out to the present proprietors, H. Sorrensen and John Madesen in November, 1881. The mills contain four run of stone, having a capacity of thirty barrels of flour and 400 bushels of feed daily. The brand of flour, "Best," is standard, and is rapidly gaining power in the market. The mills are located on Broad street, being the only manufactory of the kind in Fremont.
Fremont Brewery was erected in 1871 by Magenau & Co. After passing through several hands, Oswald Muller purchased the interest of his partner in 1879, and it is at present owned and operated by him. The original building was 24x40 feet. A fine malt house 24x80 feet has since been built, the building being three stories and basement. Ice houses have also been erected, so that the establishment is quite extensive and very complete, and at present covers ground nearly a block square. Mr. Muller manufactures 4,500 barrels of beer annually, supplying the county and a territory far beyond. The value of his property as it stands is placed at $20,000. The brewery and malt house are located on North Main street, opposite the City Park.
Fremont Canning Company was established in the summer of 1881 by Messrs. Biles, Lee and Ingalls. Apples, tomatoes and pie-plant are canned, and a business of over $2,000 transacted.
Thompson's Brick-yard is located about a mile from the city near the free bridge. It was opened in 1880, and has furnished about 400,000 brick per year since that time.
J. W. Harris' Brick-yard is located near the Sioux City & Pacific Railroad depot. It was opened in 1873 by Howard & Bothwell and continued by them until 1880, when Mr. Harris purchased it. Until 1880, the average number of brick made yearly was 300,000. Last year the number amounted to 950,000, worth about $7,000.
EPHRAIM A. ABBOTT, farmer, resides on Section 30, Town 18, Range 9, P. O. Fremont, is the son of Nicholas and Mary J. Abbott. Was born in Blue Hill, Maine, June, 1833. He came to Nebraska in 1861, living until 1867 in Douglas and Washington Counties. He has a fine farm of 1,220 acres on the line of the Sioux City & Pacific Railway, between Fremont and Nickerson; 450 acres are under cultivation, the remainder being grass land and all under fence; has good improvements, consisting of good house, barn and cattle sheds, etc. He is also extensively engaged in dealing in and raising live stock. Has been in the business since he came to the State. The first years he dealt exclusively in raising small grain. The past seven years he has devoted almost his entire attention to the stock business. Has at the present time a herd of 300 cattle and thirty head of horses and mules, 200 sheep. In the year of 1881, he sold $7,000 worth of fat cattle. His dealings in live stock aggregate over $10,000 per year. He was married at Fremont, March 29, 1870, to Miss Mary J., daughter of Hamilton and Sarah C. Dorsey. She was born in Loudoun County, Va., and came to Nebraska in 1869. They have five children--Myra Kate, Lizzie Keene, George Dorsey, Clara Frances and Pansy Jewett.
LUTHER J. ABBOTT, M. D., physician and surgeon, was born in Blue Hill, Hancock Co., Me., September 15, 1831. Moved with his parents to Troy, Miami Co., Ohio, in 1834, and lived there until he came to Nebraska in the summer of 1861; he then located on a farm at what is now known as Irvington, and engaged in sheep-raising and practicing for four years; then spent two years at Fontanelle, and finally came to Fremont, where he has resided since 1867. He is Assistant Surgeon for the Union Pacific Railway, and Surgeon for the Fremont Division of the Sioux City & Pacific Railway. He has been President of the State Medical Society. The Doctor has been a member of the Legislature, and was Pension Examiner for a great many years. He has been President of the Board of Education and member of the Board of Health. He is a Commissioner of the State Board of Insanity. He has also held various other positions. Was married at Troy, Ohio, in 1854, to Clara F. Culbertson, a native of that place. They have seven children--Anna E., now Mrs. E. M. Collins, of Fremont; Osee M., John W. C., Jennie H., Luther J., Edward C. and L. Keene; they lost one son--Ephraim B.
J. DIXON AVERY, President of Nebraska Creamery Association. Came to Fremont first in April, 1880, at the invitation of the Board of Trade. In August, 1880, the organization was perfected and he was then made President of the association. In August, 1881, he located at Fremont and superintended the construction of the building. He was born at Sherburn, Chenango Co., N. Y., and lived in Madison County, N. Y., for twenty years prior to coming to Nebraska. He has been engaged in the butter and cheese business for the past twenty years, eleven years of which time he has been in the creamery business. He has two children by his first wife, Fanny Keith, who died in October, 1875. The children are named Arthur Williams and James Dixon. His present wife, whom he married in March, 1877, was Mary Tidd, a native of Otsego, N. Y. They were married at Morrisville, Madison Co., N. Y.
JAMES BALDING, dealer in live stock, Fremont. Has dealt in live stock since 1865. In that year he started the first meat market at Fremont, and carried it on in connection with his other business until February, 1880. He is one of the largest stock dealers at Fremont. He does a business of nearly $50,000 per year. He deals largely in cattle and sheep, also to some extent in hogs. He handled during the year 1881, 300 head of native cattle in partnership with other parties; had 2,600 head of California sheep, and 250 head of hogs, besides 3,100 head of Oregon sheep which he fed during the winter of 1881-82. He is at present interested with Lee & Blewett, in Oregon cattle, purchased during the year 1882. He has also a grazing farm of 280 acres, sixty acres being under fence. He has ample facilities, feed lots, etc., for feeding 10,000 head of stock. He is the son of Thomas and Sarah Ann Balding, and was born in London, England, July 1, 1839. His parents emigrated to America when he was eight years of age, locating at Milwaukee, Wis. He was there engaged driving stock until 1865, when he removed to Nebraska, locating at Fremont. He was married at Fremont January 1, 1867, to Miss Fannie Bullock, daughter of Daniel and Lettie Bullock. She was born in the State of New York. They have one child living--Jessie Fremont. He is a Republican in politics.
CHARLES BALDUFF, bakery and restaurant, Fremont. Has been in business at Fremont since 1871; carries a stock of $1,000; does a business of $10,000 per year. He was born in Wurtemberg, Germany in 1842. Emigrated to America in 1845, with his parents, who located on a farm in Montgomery County, Penn. He remained on the farm with his parents until sixteen years old, when he began to learn the bakery business which he has since followed, except five years, two years of which he was in the army. He enlisted in Company B, Fifteenth New York Heavy Artillery, in 1864, serving in the Army of the Potomac until after the close of the war. He came to Fremont and engaged in farming until August, 1871, when he opened a bakery and confectionery store in Fremont. He has continued the business since that time, and now enjoys a large trade. He is a member of Centennial Lodge, No. 59, I. O. O. F., and of Fremont Lodge, No. 859, K of H. He was married at Fremont in 1868, to Christiana Boshe, who is also a native of Germany. They have seven children--George, Charles, Carrie, Fred, Louis, Willie and Alma May.
E. H. BARNARD, one of the founders of Fremont, was born in Kirkland, Oneida Co., N. Y., October 7, 1830, and was brought up on a farm. He had an apitude for mathematical studies, and at the age of twenty-one, after a few seasons of school teaching, began life as a civil engineer and surveyor, in Augusta, N. Y. But finding that too narrow a field, he packed his transit and in the spring of 1854 went West to "grow up with the country". and do what came to his hand. Arriving at Rock Island, Ill , he soon found employment in the land agency and insurance office of Messrs. M. B. Osborn & Co. The next year he was sent out to assist in establishing a branch office at Des Moines, Iowa, under the name of Osborn & Co., where he remained about a year. In August, 1856, he came to Nebraska in company with John A. Koontz, and on the 22d of that month discovered and claimed the site where now stands the city of Fremont. Forming a limited partnership, the two young men proceeded to construct a rude log cabin, which was the first building ever built in Fremont, and became at once a residence, boarding-house and hotel. He laid out the town and did such other surveying in the vicinity as was required for the first few months. But his energies were mainly devoted to farming and to the interests of the feeble little town until it had grown strong enough to take care of itself. He held the office of Probate Judge four years; was a member of the Territorial Legislature one term, and of the State Legislature two years. He was a member of the Board of Town Trustees for many years, President of the City Council one term, County Treasurer of Dodge County two years, and in 1869, received the appointment of Receiver of Public Moneys for his district, which he declined. He was married at Canajoharie, N. Y., April 7, 1858, to Emma L. Hodge, a native of that place. They have two sons living--Willis and Edwin H., Jr., and have lost two, Frank, aged two years, and Charlie, aged seven years. He is engaged at the present in the business of real estate, loans and insurance.
HON. H. P. BEEBE, farmer, P. O. Fremont, Section 4, Town 17, Range 8, was born in Rochester, N. Y., February 22, 1831. He is the son of Prentiss and Wealthy Beebe, the latter a cousin of President Pierce. When he was four year old, his parents moved to Detroit, Mich., remaining there two years and then moving to Green Bay, Wis. He was there married, in 1851, to Miss Lavina Hager, a daughter of Steadman and Lysa Hager. His wife is a native of Vermont. They have seven children living--Wealthy, the wife of Benj. F. French, of Fremont; Steadman; Frances, the wife of J. C. Wallingford, a farmer, in Dodge County; Henry, Curtis, Sarah and Rosa. His father having died, he, with his mother and family, moved to Nebraska in 1856, locating in Dodge County. In that year, he built a log house on the site of his present residence. The following winter was the severest Mr. B. has ever experienced in Nebraska. All supplies had to be obtained at Council Bluff. Mrs. B.'s father was frozen to death within a short distance of his home in a storm, which began on the lst day of December, 1856. He and his family are the first farmers that settled in this vicinity, and the log house above mentioned was the first house built west of the Elkhorn. He has a fine farm of 160 acres, of which eighty acres are under cultivation, the remainder being grass land. Mr. B. has been a Republican since the organization of that party. He was the first County Treasurer elected in Dodge County. He has since held the office of County Judge one term, and represented Dodge County in the first State Legislature held in Nebraska.
HENRY BECKER, bakery and confectionery, Fremont, has been in business at Fremont, Neb., since the early part of 1881; carries a stock of $400; does a business of over $5,000 per year. He was born in Hesse-Darmstadt, Germany, April 23, 1843. Came to America in 1860, locating at Pittsburgh, Penn., where he learned the bakery business, living there until 1865, when he went to Greenville, Penn., starting in business for himself. He remained there until 1875, when he went to Peoria, Ill., engaging in the same business until 181, when he moved to Nebraska, locating at Fremont. He is a member of the German Methodist Episcopal Church. He was married, in Chicago, Ill., January 17, 1865, to Miss Margaret Maurer, who was born in Pittsburgh, Penn. They have two children--Amelia and Harry.
WILLIAM J. BIGGAR, Western Union Telegraph Manager, and Headquarters for City Telephone Exchange. He is also proprietor of Semi-Weekly Press, a newspaper begun January 1, 1882, under firm name of Biggar & Garrett. Mr. B. settled in Fremont in 1867, as operator for Union Pacific Railway one year, at Brady Island, then returned to Fremont; since been engaged as agent and operator on Sioux City & Pacific Railway two years in Fremont, two years in Hooper, and two years in West Point, since which he has lived in Fremont, Neb. He was born at Niagara Falls, Canada, April 12, 1842; was married in Fremont, April, 1870, to Miss Rebecca A. Van Anda, of Mount Vernon, Ohio. They have three children--Charles Edward, Clifton James and Roy V. Mr. B. has been Postmaster of Hooper two years, and Notary Public for the past eight years.
J. V. N. BILES, dealer in general line groceries, queensware, woodenware, etc. Began the business in 1869. His annual sales are about $50,000. Employs from three to five men. He is also largely interested in hay pressing and shipping. He located in Fremont in October, 1869, and engaged in the above business. Mr. B. was born in Bradford County, Penn., February 5, 1837. He taught school in the East, and followed canal and railroad contracting, also followed the grocery business six years, previous to coming to Nebraska. Was married, in Wyalusing, Penn., October 6, 1861, to Miss Theresa H. Chamberlin, a native of the latter place. They have three children--William J., Fred E. and Edwin Louis. Mr. B. is now serving the third term as a member of the City Council. He is one of the leading members of Blue Lodge, No. 15, and Chapter Lodge, No. 7, A., F. & A. M.
E. A. BLUNCK, dealer in all kinds of agricultural implements; established the business in the spring of 1875, and sells on an average of $45,000 worth of goods. He first located in Fremont in 1874, and engaged as clerk in a machinery store, until he began his present business. He was born in Germany in Germany, August 18, 1852; emigrated to America in 1869. He attended school in Davenport, Iowa, two years, and worked at farming some length of time, and in the fire insurance business one year. He was married, in Fremont, Neb., in 1877, to Miss Bertha Kerkow, who was born in the province of Brandenburg, Prussia, Germany. Mr. B is a member of the I. O. O. F., and K. of H., of Fremont, Neb.
DR. JAMES M. BORGLUM, homoeopathic physician and surgeon, settled in Omaha in 1869. Began practice in 1874. Between the above dates was preparing for his chosen profession. He has a practice of from $200 to $400 per month. He was born in Denmark April 18, 1839; came to America in the spring of 1864; settled in Utah Territory, where he lived until 1869, and returned to Omaha. He has made physics a study for years, previous to settling in the West. He entered the Homoeopathic Medical College of St. Louis, Mo., in 1869, and graduated from the same institution in the spring of 1874, and began practice in Omaha. He moved to Fremont in the winter of 1874. He was married, in England, in 1864, to Miss Ida Michelsen, who was born in Denmark October 8, 1842. They have eight children--James M., clerking in dry goods store; Gutzen and Augustus, attending St. Mary's College in Kansas; Solon, Arnold, Anna, Dora and Francis, at home.
WILLIAM C. BRADY, firm of W. C. Brady & Co., dealers in general line groceries, established the business in January, 1880. Mr. B. settled in Fremont, Neb., in May, 1874, and clerked in a dry goods store until about 1880. He was born in Amboy, Lee Co., Ill., March 24, 1855. He began clerking in a dry goods store in his native place when he was quite young, which he followed until going West. Was married, in Fremont, September 20, 1877, to Miss Ella F. Kittle, a native of Buffalo, N. Y. Her parents moved to Fremont, Neb., in an early day, and erected the first log house in the place. They have one son--William C., Jr., born July 16, 1881. Mr. B. is a member of Fremont Lodge, No. 859, K. of H.
BROWN BROS., livery, feed and sale stable, Fremont. Have been in livery and feed business since June, 1880. They use in their livery business twelve to twenty-four head of horses and twelve to twenty vehicles, depending on the season of the year. They also keep a hearse, subject to the calls of the undertakers in the city. They do a livery and feed business of $3,500 per year. They deal in horses quite extensively, handling $20,000 worth per year, besides fifty to seventy buggies, which they dispose of annually. They feed annually 200 head of cattle for market, besides fifty to 100 head of stock cattle. In addition to this, they buy an average of 600 head fat cattle and 300 to 400 fat hogs, which they ship direct to market, doing a general live-stock trade. Their business in cattle and hogs amount to $25,000 per year. They own a large farm of 400 acres in Dodge County, of which one-half is under cultivation. They operate it themselves, employing two to four men. W. S. Brown was born in Fairfield, Iowa, in 1846. In the fall of 1863, he enlisted in Company I, Ninth Iowa Cavalry, as a private, being afterward promoted to First Sergeant, serving in the Department of Missouri and the Frontier until the spring of 1866, when he was discharged at Little Rock, Ark. He returned to his home in Fairfield, Iowa, and engaged in farming until the spring of 1868, when, with his brother Frank, he moved to Nebraska, locating in Dodge County, engaging in farming during the summer season, and in teaching school during the winters of 1872, 1873 and 1874, in the district in which they resided. He is a member of McPherson Post, No. 4, Grand Army Republic, at Fremont. In politics, he is a Republican, taking great interest in party matters, and the success of the Republican ticket. He was married, in Dodge County, Neb., in 1874, to Miss Ida Martin, who was born in Michigan. They have three children--Lottie, Arthur and Cora. F. F. Brown was born at Fairfield, Iowa, in 1848, living there until 1868, when he came to Nebraska with his brother, W. S., with whom he has since been in partnership. He was married, at Pleasant Plains, Iowa, in 1877, to Miss Annie J. Roberts, who is a native of Jefferson County, Iowa. They have three children--Nellie, Ernest and Bertha.