|SECTION 1: The Early Days||SECTION 2: More Early Days|
|SECTION 3: Omaha in 1870||SECTION 4: Present Day (1882)|
|SECTION 5: Crimes||SECTION 6: Fires and Public Works|
|SECTION 7: Health, Parks, Mail||SECTION 8: The Press in Omaha|
|SECTION 9: Press Continued||SECTION 10: Religious|
|SECTION 11: Religious (cont.)||SECTION 12: Cemetery and Schools|
|SECTION 13: Legal and Medical||SECTION 14: Opera House-Hotels-Business|
|SECTION 15: Societies||SECTION 16: Societies (Cont.)|
|SECTION 17: Business||SECTION 18: Manufacturing|
The Manufacturing Interests of Omaha (cont.)|
Business Interests of Omaha | Recapitulation
20 - 46:
** Omaha Biographical Sketches **|
| ABLE~BARRIGER | BARTLETT~BOYD | BOYER~BURNHAM |
| BURR~CONKLING | COFFMAN~CREIGHTON |
| CRITTENTON~DIETZ | DINSMOOR~FAWCETT |
| FEARON~GAYLORD | GELATTE~GROSSMANN |
| GROSS~HAVENS | HAWES~HOILE |
| HOLDREDGE~JORGENSEN | JOSLYN~LEISENRING |
| LEHMAN~LOWE | LUDINGTON~MARHOFF |
| MANNING~MILLER | MILLSPAUGH~NINDEL |
| O'CONNOR~PEABODY | PAUL~READ | REDICK~ROGERS |
| ROSENBERY~SCOTT | SEAMAN~SIMPSON | SINCERE~STONE |
| STORZ~UMPHRESON | URLAU~WILBUR | WILDE~WOOD |
| WOODARD~ZEHRUNG | West Omaha Precinct | Douglas Precinct |
List of Illustrations in Douglas County Chapter
Omaha Barb Wire Company. Prominent among the rising manufacturing interests of the city of Omaha, is the making of barbed wire for fencing. This industry began July 1, 1881, under the management of a joint stock company, its officers being: Thomas Gibson, Pres.; W. J. Broatch, V.-Pres.; and M. M. Marshall, Sec., Treas., and General Manager.
Those owning stock in the concern are Thomas Gibson, W. J. Broatch, M. M. Marshall, G. W. Lininger, H. P. Devallon, O. N. Ramsey, A. T. Clark and George Gibson. About four months after it was put in operation, on October 26, 1881, the entire establishment was destroyed by fire.
The work of reconstruction was prosecuted without delay, and in the space of two weeks, was again in operation, making 150 tons of barbed wire fencing a month, or about forty miles of fencing per day.
The patent on this kind of fencing, belongs to an Eastern firm by the name of Washburn, Moen & Elwood, to whom all improvements on the patent have been deeded, after having been contested in the courts and adjudged infringements upon the original patent. A royalty or license is required to be paid this firm by any person manufacturing this kind of fencing, and are limited to the production of a certain amount. At first, the Omaha Barb Wire Company began the manufacture of what they called their own patent, but being adjudged an infringement, they deeded the improvement over to the original patentees, to whom they pay a license of $2,200 a year, and are limited to the production of 500 tons of wire fence for the year 1882, next ensuing.
The amount invested in the enterprise is $20,000; the machinery used being valued at $4,000.
The different articles of fencing made are the ring-barb or four point single wire; acme, or parallel visible wire, two points; twisted wire, four points, any style; and fence staples of all sizes. The goods find a ready market among the jobbers in Omaha, to whom most all the product is sold.
The articles made are of the best quality, made of steel wire with steel barbs, using the lock-stitch or Wells' barb.
The yearly production at $165, per ton amounts to about $85,000; giving employment to twelve men.
The Omaha Engineering Co. was incorporated March 1, 1882, with a capital of $10,00. The officers are: Chester B. Davis, Pres. and Engr.; W. H. J. Stratton, V.-Pres. And Supt.; Charles W. Mead Sec. and Treas.
The object of the organization is the design and construction of water-works, sewage, bridges and all other engineering structures.
Omaha Shot Factory. The Manufacture of shot and bar lead of all kinds, was begun in Omaha on November, 1880, by a stock company.
It is a close stock company, and was incorporated directly after the company became organized, the officers being: C. W. Mead, Pres.; F. C. Ripley, V.-Pres.; and C. H. B. Carter, Sec. and Treas.
The manufactory is built upon the most improved plans, in accordance with a system successfully made use of in Europe.
A shaft 100 feet deep is sunk to water, over which is erected a tower about sixty-five feet high, making a drop of 165 feet.
The building, substantially made of brick, is constructed with two wings, two stories high, projecting from each side of the tower. The entire length of the building is 175 feet by 45 feet in width.
The establishment is fully equipped with facilities for producing five tons of shot per day, and the goods are equal, if not superior, in quality, to those of any factory in the world.
To operate the establishment requires the employment of seven men. So far, the demand upon the goods turned out by the factory, has been equal to the supply and is constantly on the increase.
Omaha Iron and Nail Company. The mill, now known as the Omaha Iron and Nail works, was brought to Omaha from Dunleith, Ill., in 1878, by G. T. Walker.
During that year a building was erected and machinery put in, to the amount of $15,000, and at that time, the whole plant, as it is called, or the capital invested, amounted to about $25,000.
G. T. Walker was president of the organization and C. P. Birkett, secretary and treasurer. After the works were completed, a suspension of operation was necessitated, on account of a lack of funds to carry it on. In the spring of 1879 a new organization was effected, its officers being: John A. Creighton Pres.; G. T. Walker, V.-Pres. And Supt.; James Creighton, Sec. And Treas.; and John A. McShane, Asst. Sec and Treas., and R. W. Wilson, Asst. Supt.
At this time the capital stock was increased to $50,000 and new machinery added, sufficient to produce 200 kegs of nails per day.
In 1881 a further extension of the works was made and the amount invested or entire cost of the plant, aggregated $75,000, and the producing capacity increased to 350 kegs of nails daily.
During the past year 45,000 kegs of nails were produced, and the total sales amounted to about $230,000.
The entire works comprise a rolling mill, nail mill and keg factory, and keep in constant employ eight-five men and boys, in all the departments.
The nail mill is thoroughly fitted out with twenty six nail-cutters of the best make, among which are several self-feeders. Preparation is being made by the company, to replace twenty-two of the twenty-six nail machines, with self-feeders of the latest and most improved patterns, thus insuring greater uniformity in size and more perfect symmetry in the nails manufactured.
The nails are made by the double heating process, and are of a superior quality, commanding from 10 to 20 cents more, in price per keg, than those of most Easter manufactories.
The works are running to their full capacity but are unable to meet their present orders.
[OMAHA WHITE LEAD WORKS.]
Omaha White Lead Works. In 1878 W. A. Paxton, C. W. Mead, Levi Carter and S. E. Locke, formed a company for the establishment of a works for the manufacture of white lead. The association was incorporated with the following officers: W. A. Paxton, Pres.; C. W. Meade, V.-Pres.; N. Shelton, Sec. and Treas.; and S. E. Locke, Manager.
The establishment began with a paid up capital of $60,000. An increase of $30,000 has since been made, and the amount of paid up capital now aggregates $90,000.
As the result of the first year's operation the works turned out 1,000 tons of white lead.
The sales for that year amounted to $150,000. At first, the works gave employment to only twenty men, but at present, a force of forty men are constantly employed the year round, the works being kept in operation both day and night, and also on Sundays. The only cessation of the works is a week or two each year, when they shut down to make repairs upon machinery. The increase in the capacity of the works has been both steady and rapid, and is now double what it was at first. During the past year 2,000 tons of lead were made, representing a cash value of $300,000. The sales of 1880 aggregated $250,000. Shipments of goods are made, covering a territory extending from Cleveland, Ohio, to Salt Lake City, Utah, and from Manitoba in British America to Mexico. The manufactory is represented, on the road, by three traveling salesmen. During the past two years $15,000 worth of improvements have been made, in additional buildings, machinery, etc.
The supply of pig lead, for corroding purposes, is obtained from the smelting works, located at Omaha, which turns out about one-fifth of all the refined pig lead used in the United States; thus affording the lead works easy facilities for obtaining raw material, desirable for extensive production of white lead. The consumption of pig lead, for the last year, was nearly 2,000 tons. The article of white lead manufactured is of a superior class, equal in quality to that made anywhere in the United States.
The main building used in the manufacture of lead measures 200 feet in length by sixty feet in width, two stories high. Besides this, there are several smaller buildings used in connection with the works.
The company are, also, making preparation for the manufacturing of prepared paints and colors, to a large extent. For this purpose, a new building seventy feet long by forty feet wide, and two stories high is in process of erection. The building is to be fitted out with $15,000 worth of the most improved machinery used for such purposes. The new structure stands removed from the main works a distance of 125 feet, and the machinery is to be propelled by the same engine, by means of a wire pulley connection.
This department will be completed and ready for operation by early spring.
The present officers are: Levi Carter, Pres.; C. W. Mead, V.-Pres.; H. W. Yates, Sec. and Treas.; S. E. Locke, Manager.
Woodman Linseed Oil Company.--A manufactory for the production of linseed oil was started in Omaha, by Messrs. Harris, Taft and Woodman, in 1873, and known as the Woodman Linseed Oil Company.
Besides being the only establishment of the kind in the State, it was also the pioneer linseed oil mill in the West.
After the death of Mr. Harris, it came into the possession of the remaining members of the firm, Taft & Woodman, who continued to be the owners up to 1881, when it was incorporated as a stock company, under the above name, Clark Woodman becoming President, and Frank E. Ritchie Secretary and Treasurer.
The production of linseed oil is twenty-five barrels a day, or aggregating about 6,000 barrels annually, the article being of a superior quality. For the manufacture of this quantity of oil, it requires an annual consumption of 160,000 bushels of flax. A valuable and ready market is thus opened to farmers, for the sale of flax seed, and its adaptation to Nebraska soil, renders it a profitable crop to raise, commanding in price, from $1 to $1.15 per bushel. Hitherto, all the flax seed used by the establishment is the product of Nebraska soil.
The yearly sales of oil manufactured amount to $175,000 and finds a market mostly among jobbers in places west of Omaha and in Colorado and California; the surplus being consumed by the St. Louis and Chicago markets.
Besides the manufacture of oil, the establishment turns out oil cake to the amount of ten tons per day, or 3,000 tons annually, which is mostly shipped to Europe, for feeding cattle and other stock. The income from this branch of the enterprise amounts to some $12,000 a year, making the total sales, including oil, $187,000 per annum.
The mill is a substantial brick structure, forty feet wide by sixty feet long. The grain elevator belonging to the manufactory was destroyed by fire, in the fall of 1880, and is being replaced by a new one, forty-four by ninety feet, in dimensions, and having a capacity for the storage of 150,000 bushels of grain.
A force of twenty men is required to run the manufactory, and is kept in operation, to its full capacity, both night and day.
Nearly $15,000 is paid out annually for wages of workmen.
The estimated value of the entire establishment is placed at $60,000.
Show Case Manufactory.--This enterprise was established in Omaha about four years ago by O. J. Wilde.
Mr. Wilde does all his own work, amounting to about $2,000 a year.
The estimated value of his whole arrangement, including stock, building, lot, etc. is $2,500.
The most finished work in all classes of exhibition cases are here made, and a large assortment of ready made cases are kept on hand.
Brick Manufacturers.--Omaha contains ten brick yards for the manufacture of building brick, giving employment to over 100 practical brick makers, and owned and operated by the following parties: Withnell Bros., Baily & Olson, H. Deiss, J. Hunter, Ittner Bros., Henry Livesey, John Potter, Thomas Murry, John Kiewit and Samuel Cafferty.
During the last year it is estimated that over 12,000,000 brick were made. Of this amount the largest number were made by Withnell Bros., having made upwards 3,500,000. The next highest number were made by the Ittner Bros., they have burnt over 2,500,000, Bailey & Olson manufactured about 2,000,000, and Henry Livesey about 2,000,000.
For the production of these amounts there was employed by the four firms over 200 men.
Cigar Box Factory.--An establishment for the manufacture of cigar boxes, located at 1412 Davenport street, was started by Isaac Levi. After operating the factory for some time, Mr. Levi sold it in 1872, and Adolph Seifken, the present owner, became the purchaser, paying therefor the sum of $1,000.
The value of the annual product and sales at that time amounted to about $3,000. A large increase in the manufactory has since taken place, and the establishment now turns out about 100,000 finished cigar boxes annually, the sales amounting to some $10,000 a year. An average force of five girls and boys are kept in work by the factory.
A complete outfit of machinery for the manufacture of the boxes is provided and run by steam power.
The capital invested in the institution is estimated at nearly $7,000, including a stock on hand of about $3,000.
Cigar Manufactory.--There were in the city of Omaha in the year of 1880, fifteen firms and individuals engaged in the manufacture of cigars. They were Theo. Beck, Joseph Beckman, Pat Devitt, Joseph Jelen, S. Jorgensen, John Hops, W. F. Lorrenzen, Levy & Luke, F. Nachtigal, A. Shultz, F. H. Schwalenburg, A. F. Sigwart, West & Fritscher, C. H. Wilson, D. Levy and H. Durffel. Of these Pat Devitt, Joseph Jelen, A. F. Sigwart and C. H. Wilson, retired from the business.
During the year, as exhibited by the records of the revenue office, there were 2,313,900 cigars manufactured in the city. There were sold of this number 2,295,850.
The revenue tax collected from this course amounted to $13,775.10.
By far the most extensive cigar manufactory in the city is that of West & Fritscher, who manufactured nearly 2,000,000 cigars in the last year, in which they gave employment to fifty men and boys and three traveling salesmen.
The sales of this firm alone amounted to about $100,000 during the year 1881.
Omaha Safe Works. On the corner of Fourteenth and Jackson streets is located another manufactory, which, with the advance of time is destined to become of no mean importance.
In 1875 a small works was established by Gus Andreen for the manufacture of fire and burglar proof safes, etc. By industry and close application to business he managed to improve and enlarge the capacity of his works, and at this time he employs ten men.
In 1880 John Vallien was taken into the concern as a partner, and the business is now conducted under the firm style of Andreen & Vallien.
The works are also adapted to the manufacture of iron fencing and all kinds of wire work goods. The amount of yearly business is shown to be $25,000.
Nebraska Broom Factory. This factory began in the city of Omaha in 1872, under the proprietorship of August Randow.
The establishment turns out about 40,000 brooms annually, the sales amounting to some $8,000.
Four men are kept in constant employment. The value of the stock in trade, including machinery, is about $3,500.
Omaha Broom Factory.--In September, 1877, H. Harris began manufacturing brooms in Omaha.
His factory at first was quite small but has since grown largely, turning out about 15,000 brooms annually.
Mr. Harris employs three men in this work.
The value of his entire concern is estimated at about $2,000.
The Glencoe Mills were started in November, 1880, by William Marsh and W. A. Smith, who are engaged in making bolted meal, feed graham and buckwheat flour.
This mill has a capacity for grinding 200 bushels of grain per day, and represents a cash value of $6,000 and gives employment to three men.
Other Manufactures. Besides the larger manufactories of which a detailed history has been given, there are a number of smaller ones, which must also find a place among the manufacturing interests of Omaha. They are--
Gus Fries & Co., manufacturers of fence, boxes, etc.
Visscher & Hawyer, manufacture artificial stone.
H. G. Clark & Co., manufacture baking powder.
J. M. Brunswick, Balke & Co. Makers of billiard tables.
Meadimber & Daily, carriage makers.
Omaha Coffee and Spice Mills, H. G. Clark & Co. proprietors.
Henry Grebe manufactures a patent hay sweep; his own invention.
Omaha Stock Yards and Feed Mill, B. A. Hall, Superintendent.
Omaha City Mills, W. J. Welshans & Co. proprietors, make rye, graham and buckwheat flour, hominy, gritz, cornmeal and feed, and also are dealers in wheat flour. Annual sales from $75,000 to $100,000.
Capital invested $15,000.
C. F. Goodman, proprietor of the Nebraska Fence Works, makes all kinds of fencing and refrigerators.
Gibson & Scanlan are extensive manufacturers of bone dust and fertilizing material in which are consumed the carcasses of dead animals, offal from the packing houses, etc., and is thus rendered a valuable means of preventing the accumulation of filth in the streets and suburbs of the city.
H. S. Kennedy manufactures medicines.
P. H. Sharp & Son manufacture saddles and bridles.
The Omaha Shirt Factory, owned by P. Gottheimer, is the most extensive in the city, employing twenty-five hands, and does a large business.
W. H. Harrison's shirt factory, No. 1122 Farnam street, gives employment to fifteen hands and makes about sixty shirts per day. Mr. Harrison started his factory in December, 1878, and does a business amounting to $25,000 per annum.
Patrick J. Quealey is an extensive soap manufacturer, and turns out an excellent article of soap.
Pkorny & Segelke manufacture soda water.
J. F. Larimer makes spring beds.
A. Gorman and H. H. Marhoff manufacture trunks.
G. H. Haarman and Ernest Krebs manufacture vinegar.
T. L. Longprey is specially engaged in the manufacture of carriages and buggies.
Werner Baehl manufactures awning frames and also an invention for the stopping of runaway teams, of which he is the patentee, having taken out a patent July 15, 1879.
A. J. Simpson is the leading carriage manufacturer in the city, doing a large and thriving business in the making of all kinds of vehicles, making heavy shipments of his goods both east and west, and employing a large force of men.
William Snyder opened a carriage shop in Omaha, March 1, 1881, and notwithstanding his being an almost total stranger in the city, by reason of his extraordinary business tact has succeeded, in the short time he has been in operation, in building up an extensive and constantly increasing patronage.
W. L. Parrotte & Co. (W. L. Parrotte and C. S. Parrotte) commenced business as wholesale dealers in hats, caps, gloves, straw goods, etc., January 20, 1881. They employ six traveling salesmen, and have eight hands in the house at Omaha. Their sales are principally in Iowa, Nebraska, Wyoming, Utah, Colorado, Dakota and Kansas. W. L. Parrotte was with Keith Bros. & Co., Chicago, for nine years prior to the time he came to Omaha. C. S. Parrotte has been with the same firm, and more recently with Field, Leiter & Co., before coming here.
H. G. Clark & Co. (H. G. Clark, H. S. Cox and R. K. Taft) organized in January, 1881, succeeding the firm of Whitney, Clark & Co. They are engaged in the coffee and spice mill business, being also manufacturers of baking powder, flavoring extracts, Clark's bitters, green and roasted coffee, etc. They employ from eighteen to twenty men. Their sales are chiefly in Nebraska, Iowa, Wyoming, Utah, Colorado and Dakota. The business amounts to about $125,000 per annum. All the members of the firm are residents of Omaha.
A. Cruickshank & Co. (Alex. Cruickshank and Nathaniel Bell Falconer), dry goods merchants. This business was established by these gentlemen about eleven years ago. They are now doing a business of $250,000 per annum. The firm employs about fifty hands. The business is entirely retail.
Shreve, Jarvis & Co., wholesale dealers in men's furnishing goods, established business in June, 1880. The firm is composed of J. R. Shreve and Wm. R. Jarvis. The business for the year 1881 was $75,000, and that for the last six months prior to January, 1882, was as large as it was during the first year they were in business. The trade is principally in Nebraska, though they do something in Iowa and the Territories. They employ eight men in the various departments of their business, including themselves. They have four traveling salesmen.
B. F. Troxell & Co., commission merchants, storage and freight agents, are successors to C. C. Housel & Co., and began business July 1, 1881. They handle all the unclaimed and wrecked freight of the U. P. R. R., B & M. R. R. in Nebraska, and C., St. P. & O. R. R., and all roads running into Omaha. They do a business of about $250,000 annually. The firm are agents for the Erie & Pacific and Great Western Dispatch Fast Freight Lines.
Lee, Fried & Co., wholesale hardware merchants. The firm is composed of H. J. Lee, of Fremont, H. T. Clarke, of Bellevue, E. M. Andreesen, and C. S. Fried. The firm was organized March, 1880, and was composed originally of Messrs. Lee and Fried. Mr. Andreesen became a partner in September, 1880, and Mr. Clarke in January, 1881. The first year's business amounted to fully $150,000, and they are now doing fully four times as much. They carry on a general business in shelf hardware, tinners' stock, etc. Their sales are principally in Nebraska, Utah, Wyoming, Colorado and Iowa. They employ five traveling salesmen and twenty-five hands at headquarters.
Foster & Gray (William M. Foster and F. W. Gray), wholesale and retail lumber dealers. Mr. Foster is a resident of Chicago, Mr. Gray conducting the Omaha business. They deal in lumber, lime, cement, coal, etc. The lumber receipts of this firm in 1881 amounted to between 14,000,000 and 15,000,000 feet. They handle about 6,000 tons of coal principally anthracite, annually, and also about 11,000 barrels of lime, cement and plaster. They sell principally in Nebraska. They employ about thirty men on an average. The yards were established in 1867 by Harris & Foster.
Metcalf & Bro. (T. E. and J. M. Metcalf), commenced business in December, 1880, as jobbers of teas and wholesale dealers in cigars. The business for 1882 will probably amount to from $150,000 to $200,000. Their sales are principally in Nebraska, Wyoming, Colorado, Utah and Dakota. The business employs seven men in the various departments. They keep four traveling salesmen.
Lininger & Metcalf Co., dealers in agricultural implements, incorporated in December 15, 1881; capital $100,000. G. W. Lininger, Pres.; J. M. Metcalf, V.-Pres.; H. P. Devallon, Sec. And Treas.; F. E. Metcalf and C. Lininger, Directors. Office, corner Sixth and Pacific streets. They employ three traveling salesmen. The Metcalf Brothers were familiar with the agricultural implement business for fifteen years prior to coming to Omaha. Mr. J. M. Metcalf came to Omaha in December, 1880, and started in the wholesale business, merging finally into the present.
F. C. Cooper, dealer in farm machinery and forwarding of implements for manufacturers, commenced business about sixteen years ago. He does forwarding for Emerson, Talcot & Co., of Rockford, Ill,; Eagle Manufacturing Co., of Davenport, Iowa, D. M. Osborn & Co., of Auburn, N. Y., B. D. Buford & Co., of Rock Island, Ill., Moline Wagon Co., Newton Wagon Co., Batavia, Ill., G. W. Brown & Co., of Galesburg, Ill., Sidney Steel Scraper, of Sidney, Ohio., Winchester & Partridge Co., of Whitewater, Wis. Mr. Cooper has been a very successful business man. He is largely interested in mining matters.
The Omaha Implement Co., dealers in farm machinery, south-east corner of Thirteenth and Leavenworth streets. E. D. Van Court, Pres.; D. P. Burr, Sec and Treas. Their sales are principally in Western Iowa, Nebraska and Dakota. Since October 1, 1881, their sales have amounted to $65,000. They employ two traveling men. The company was incorporated October 1, 1881, with an authorized capital of $50,000. They are manufacturer's agents for the Abbott Buggy Co's. Timkin Spring Buggies, Peoria Plow Co., Hearst, Dunn & Co's. Peoria and Star Planters and Check Rower, Hart, Hitchcock & Co's. Drills, Excelsior Reaper and Mower, Davis' Oscillator Threshers, Tiffin Agricultural Works, Brown's Stalk Cutter and the Mishawaka Wagons.
Manning & Hess, agricultural implement dealers. The present firm was formed in October, 1881, doing a general farm machinery and forwarding business for manufacturers. They represent the Grand Detour Plow Co., Dixon, Ill.; P. P. Mast & Co., Springfield, Ohio; Mast, Foos & Co., Springfield, Ohio; R. H. & C McAvery, Galesburg, Ill.; Fairbanks & Co., St. Louis, Mo.; Kansas Mfg. Co., Leavenworth; Omaha Implement Co., Omaha; Bates, Phelps & Co., Minneapolis, Minn.; J. J. Budlong & Co., Aurora, Ill.; Sandwich Enterprise Co., Sandwich, Ill.; Racine Wagon and Carriage Co.; Buckeye Reapers and Mowers; Elwood Harvesters; Iron King Mowers; Marsh Harvesters. Their stores are in Douglas and Sarpy counties. They do the largest forwarding business in the State. They will handle this year about 150 carloads of agricultural implements, averaging about $3,000 a carload.
The American News Company of New York opened a branch at Omaha in July, 1882, at 215 Fourteenth street, for the purpose of supplying dealers with newspapers and periodicals.
The office is in charge of George H. Watts as agent; S. W. Johnson, Gen. Sept.
We have thus seen the varied and numerous manufacturing industries that have grown up in the city of Omaha within the short period of a quarter of a century. We have seen, too, the steady progress with which it has been made, keeping pace, from period to period, with the growth of the city. These manufactories, although we note them with small beginnings, many of them, indeed most of them, yet they have grown, in some instances, to become large establishments doing a business of millions of dollars annually, representing hundreds of thousands of dollars of invested capital, and giving employment to thousands of workmen.
Among these she numbers a mammoth distillery producing 1,250,000 gallons of spirits annually and doing a yearly business of $1,110,000, paying a revenue tax of $826,000 a year; five breweries making 34,200 barrels of beer per annum, and doing a business of $260,000; railroad shops representing an invested capital of over $1,000,000, and giving employment to 1,500 men; a linseed oil mill turning out 6,000 barrels of oil and 6,000,000 pounds of oil cake a year; a nail factory making 45,000 kegs of nails and doing a trade of $230,000 per annum, two planing mills doing a yearly business of $100,000 in the aggregate and employing forty-five men; a white lead works manufacturing 2,000 tons of lead in a year, the sales of which amount to $250,000; a shot factory capable of producing five tons of shot per day; there are also machine shops, boiler works, cornice works, manufactories for making barb wire fence, and other smaller factories, the aggregate business of which amounts to more than $475,000, and show an invested capital of $100,000.
Omaha has also the largest smelting and refinery works in America, doing a business of about $5,000,000 per annum, and giving employment to an average force of 350 men.
The aggregate annual business done by the leading manufactories of Omaha is over $6,800,000, and showing a capital investment of more than $1,100,000. Besides this are a number of small shops and factories which are not included in this computation.
Thus, have we seen the importance of the city of Omaha as a manufacturing point. She finds a market for her manufactured goods in all parts of the United States, England, Ireland, France, Russia and Japan.
Viewing the past history of this industry in the city, in connection with the present favorable outlook, we could almost say, that no prediction, regarding the future of Omaha as a manufacturing center, could be too extravagant.
[MAP of OMAHA CITY]