|SECTION 1: The Early Days||SECTION 2: More Early Days|
|SECTION 3: Omaha in 1870||SECTION 4: Present Day (1882)|
|SECTION 5: Crimes||SECTION 6: Fires and Public Works|
|SECTION 7: Health, Parks, Mail||SECTION 8: The Press in Omaha|
|SECTION 9: Press Continued||SECTION 10: Religious|
|SECTION 11: Religious (cont.)||SECTION 12: Cemetery and Schools|
|SECTION 13: Legal and Medical||SECTION 14: Opera House-Hotels-Business|
|SECTION 15: Societies||SECTION 16: Societies (Cont.)|
|SECTION 17: Business||SECTION 18: Manufacturing|
|SECTION 19: Manufacturing (cont.)|
20 - 46:
** Omaha Biographical Sketches **|
| ABLE~BARRIGER | BARTLETT~BOYD | BOYER~BURNHAM |
| BURR~CONKLING | COFFMAN~CREIGHTON |
| CRITTENTON~DIETZ | DINSMOOR~FAWCETT |
| FEARON~GAYLORD | GELATTE~GROSSMANN |
| GROSS~HAVENS | HAWES~HOILE |
| HOLDREDGE~JORGENSEN | JOSLYN~LEISENRING |
| LEHMAN~LOWE | LUDINGTON~MARHOFF |
| MANNING~MILLER | MILLSPAUGH~NINDEL |
| O'CONNOR~PEABODY | PAUL~READ | REDICK~ROGERS |
| ROSENBERY~SCOTT | SEAMAN~SIMPSON | SINCERE~STONE |
| STORZ~UMPHRESON | URLAU~WILBUR | WILDE~WOOD |
| WOODARD~ZEHRUNG | West Omaha Precinct | Douglas Precinct |
List of Illustrations in Douglas County Chapter
FEARON & COLE, wholesale commission merchants, and dealers in green fruits and foreign and domestic fruits and produce. David Cole of above firm was born in County Cork, Ireland, June 4, 1857. Came to the United States in May, 1874. Located in Boston, Mass., for a time, then moved to Chicago, Ill., and in 1877 settled in Omaha, and engaged in commission business with J. Phipps Roe. He was married in Omaha, May 26, 1880, to Miss Etta E. Smith, of Omaha.
JOHN H. FEENEY, firm of Feeney & Connolly, first boot and shoe store established on Sixteenth street, establishing a new era in that part of the city. He was born in Ireland, in 1849, and emigrated to America with his parents in 1854; settled in Chicago, where they lived until 1875. Mr. Feeney engaged in Chicago Type Foundry fifteen years, then went to Louisville, Ky., and worked for Robert Powell in the same business about seven months; then he went to Detroit, Mich., and worked in the Detroit Free Press office eighteen months, then he returned to Chicago and took charge of the Stereotype Works eighteen months, after which he went to Omaha, Neb., and took charge of the stereotype department of the Herald office two years then engaged in his present business. He is a member of the Land League, Branch of Omaha, also of the Union Catholic Library Association, of Omaha.
A. N. FERGUSON, attorney, son of the late Judge Ferguson, came to Nebraska in 1854, and settled in Bellevue, where he lived until 1871. He graduated from the Iowa Law School in 1870, and commenced to practice in Omaha in the spring of 1872. His father died in November, 1859, at the expiration of his term as a Delegate in Congress. He was a State Senator in 1876-77, and District Attorney for the Third District for two years. He is now a Member of the City Board of Education. He was born in Albany, N. Y., October 4, 1844, moving to Michigan when an infant. He was married at Omaha, April 15, 1879 to Miss Delia L. Sears, a native of New York; they have one child, Alice S. Helena E. Upjohn, widow of Judge Ferguson, now resides in Omaha; she is a native of England. The Judge has three sons, A. N., Alfred and William. The latter is now agent for the U. P. R. R. at Rising Station.
C. C. FIELD was born near Danville, Vermillion Co., Ill., August 20, 1847; his parents came to Centerville, Appanoose Co., Iowa, in 1851, and then moved to Troy, Kan., in 1858. He clerked several years in Kansas and Nebraska. Came to Nebraska in 1869, and located in Beatrice, Gage County. Came to Omaha in August 1873, and has been here off and on ever since. He located at 2022 Cuming Street, and opened a drug store, July 19, 1880, where he keeps a first-class line of drugs, paints, oils, school books, stationery and fancy articles. He is a member of the Omaha Lodge, No. 2, I. O. O. F., and Capital Lodge, No. 3, A., F. & A. M., and of Vesta Chapter, No. 6, Order of Eastern Star, of American Legion of Honor, Omaha Council, No. 320, and is an honorary member of Fire Company, No. 1, Omaha.
GEORGE W. FIELD, civil engineer and architect, was born at Chicago, Ill., in 1839. After an academic course at Iowa College, he was for a time in the employ of various railways, acquiring a knowledge of civil engineering and architecture being engaged in the different departments as topographical, mechanical and architectural draughtsman. In April, 1861, he left an almost completed classical course of study at the Iowa Wesleyan University to enter the army as a private in the First Iowa Infantry; and served in the campaign of that year in Missouri and Arkansas. He was afterward employed in the civil department in railway service until the close of the war, and returned to the North in broken health. In order to complete his studies, he entered Michigan University, graduating in 1868. With the object of quitting the practice of civil engineering and architecture, he gained admission to the law in 1868, with the purpose of practicing the specialties of railway and building law. However he remained in the profession of engineering, visiting all parts of the country in professional work. The intervals of such engagements were employed in planning the erection of various buildings. In order to acquire a knowledge of the artistic and decorative features of architectural treatment, a course of art study was pursued at the Chicago Academy of Design. He came to Omaha, Neb., in 1873, and shortly after was employed in the Military Department of the Platte, in architectural and civil engineering work; in which he still continues, in connection with his own private practice as an architect. Mr. Field has had a large experience in erecting military and civil buildings: hospitals, officers' quarters, barracks, depots, etc.; notably the planning the U. S. Military Headquarters, and Gen. Cook's residence at Fort Omaha, Neb. He also erected the water-works at Fort Omaha. The principal of the private buildings are A. L. Strang's business block at Omaha, erected 1880-81. Mr. Field was married at Oskaloosa, Iowa, in 1870 to Octavia S. Underhill, a native of New York City. They have two children, George E., and Alice A.
JOHN FIELD, of Shaw and Field, contractors and builders, was born in Kentucky, December 2, 1843. Learned trade of carpenter at Owensboro, Ky., with his father, Larkin Field, builder, of that place, and was with him up to 1867. Then at Leavenworth, Kan., he was employed as a journeyman carpenter for three years; then he returned to Owensboro, Ky., and carried on the business of contractor and builder for three years. In 1873 he went to Chicago, Ill., and engaged in contracting and building, there in Cook Co., Ill., for three years; was then at Louisville, Ky., and engaged in same business for a time; was also employed in the office of an architect for ten months, remaining in Louisville until July, 1879. He then went to St. Louis, Mo., and was employed as foreman of the building of Pope's Theater there for four months; then engaged in contracting until May, 1880. Then at Indianapolis, Ind., (built a theater for W. H. English) until October, 1880, after which he returned to St. Louis, Mo. Came to Omaha, Neb., with J. R. Shaw, in February, 1881, to build Boyd's Opera House; since they have been here have also been engaged in erecting business blocks and private buildings.
C. H. FITCH, hairdresser, 117 S. Fifteenth street, Omaha, is a native of New York. In 1887 he came to Nebraska, and has been connected with the present industry since. In 1876 he was married to Miss Lilian A. Sayward who was born in Maine. In 1862 Mr. Fitch enlisted in the Thirteenth New York State Volunteer Infantry, and remained in active service till the end of the war--was transferred to the One Hundred and Fortieth in 1863. Is present commander of the Grand Army Post No. 7, of this place.
GEORGE H. FITCHETT, carriage manufacturer, was born in West Troy, N. Y., in 1844. Learned trade of carriage painter at Poughkeepsie, N. Y., serving an apprenticeship for four years with Brooks & Marshall. Early in 1862 he enlisted in Company D, One Hundred and Twenty-eighth New York Volunteer Infantry as a private, serving until close of the war; when mustered out was Sergeant of Company D. He was then employed at his trade in New Haven, Conn.; Chicago, Ill., and New York City for several years. Came to Nebraska in 1869, located in Omaha and established a carriage shop in company with W. R. Morey. The partnership existed for a year; since then Mr. Fitchett has conducted the business alone.
GEORGE FLACH, cooper. Born October 12, 1846 in Hesse-Darmstadt, Germany. Came to St. Joseph, Mo., in 1871; worked there three years. In 1874 came to Milwaukee; worked there also about three years. He then returned to St. Joseph, where he remained till 1878, when he came to Omaha; bought out this business from his brother, which he has since carried on. He employs usually from four to six hands at this business. Married March 27, 1878, to Hannah Rosenkeuter, of Prussia. They have one son, Edward N.
CHARLES FLECK, proprietor Eagle House. Mr. F. Built the hotel in spring of 1876 and moved in July 15 of same year. It contains twelve sleeping rooms; can accommodate twenty-eight persons. There is a good barn in connection. He settled in Omaha in 1867, and followed tailoring until he began the hotel business. He was born in Germany November 14, 1836. Emigrated to American in 1867. He was married in Omaha in September, 1873 to Johanna Oleson, who was born in Norway. They have an adopted son named Charles.
W. M. FLEMING, foreman of pattern shop Union Pacific R. R., is native of Scotland, and was born in Kirkaldy, County of Fife, March 2, 1826. He learned his trade of pattern-making in Devon Iron Works, in Clakmananshire, for five years, then worked as journeyman for four years in the same shop; then worked for twelve years in pattern shop of Hannah, Donald & Wilson, eight years of which as foreman. He came direct from there in 1864 to Omaha, and worked in the brick-yard of John Withnell, also as carpenter and builder for Henry Vissher; from there to the shops of the U. P. R. R., as journeyman, and in 1868 made foreman of the pattern shop. Is a member of Beacon Lodge No. 20 I. O. O. F. Married Miss Isabella Bennett, of Clakmananshire, Scotland, July, 1846. Had ten children; nine living--William, Robert, Jane, Margaret, Marion, Mitchell, George, Charles and Catherine; one died--Isabella.
Rev. E. A. FOGELSTROM, pastor of Swedish Lutheran Church, corner Nineteenth and Cass. He was born in the Parish of Gryt, in the Province of Gastergotland, Sweden, in 1850. When eight years old he went to sea with his father, who was a sea captain. Following the sea, visiting this country frequently, till January 1, 1870, when he quit the sea and remained in America. In 1871 he began to study for the ministry at Augustana College, then located at Paxton, Ill., and next Rock Island, Ill., remaining there till 1877, when he graduated, being ordained a short time afterward; he received in that year a call from Brooklyn, N. Y., which he accepted, remaining there for two years. He established his first immigrant's mission for the aid of his countrymen coming to this country, prevailing upon the Synod to furnish the requisite assistance. In 1879 he accepted a call from the church at Omaha. Through his efforts his church is growing rapidly in numbers and influence. He is now Chairman of the District of Nebraska. Mr. F. is an active and energetic minister who is doing much for his church and his countrymen in this State. He was married in 1877 at Galesburg, Ill., to Miss Ida C. Larson.
JAMES FORSYTH, drugs, fancy goods, etc. In business under the present title about one year; succeeded Kennard & Forsyth. Carries a stock of about $6,000 and a yearly sales aggregate $12,000. Mr. F. was born in New York City March 6, 1838, of Scotch parentage. Came to Omaha March 7, 1864. Married March 25, 1869, to Miss Jennie A. Brown. They have one child, Fannie. Mr. F. has been in the drug business nearly all the time since he came to the State.
JOHN FOX, firm of Atwood & Fox, proprietors of a boarding and feed stable. The capacity of their barn is fifty horses. Their business average is fifty dollars per month. Mr. Fox was born in Salem, Licking Co., Ohio, November 23, 1852. His parents moved to Iowa, and settled in Council Bluffs in the winter of 1856-57; then located in Omaha the following spring. He has been engaged in farming considerable, which he followed until he entered into the business, as above stated. They show enterprise in their business.
JAMES S. FRANCE, Deputy-Surveyor of the Port, was born in New York City April 10, 1843. Was educated in the city and engaged in clerking in an importing house. Enlisted May 26, 1862, in Company B, Thirteenth Infantry, of Brooklyn, New York, and in August, 1863, was commissioned Second Lieutenant in Company B, Seventeenth Infantry, New York State Volunteers. Served until mustered out July 13, 1865. Held at this time a commission of Captain. Came to Nebraska December, 1868, located in Desoto, and in October, 1869, settled in Omaha. Engaged as bookkeeper with Hurford, Wilson & Edgar, wholesale hardware house, some 5 years; then with the First National Bank for about three years; then engaged with Caldwell, Hamilton & Co., bankers, where he is now employed. Was appointed Deputy-Surveyor of Port April, 1881. Mr. F. is a member of the A., F. & A. M. Lodge, Chapter and Commandery. Is P. M. of Covert Lodge No. 11, and now Em. Com. of Mount Calvary Com. No. 1, K. T. Is a Scottish Rite Mason, 18°. Is a member of the G. A. R. Was at one time Commander of George A. Custer Post No. 7; is also honorary member of the Volunteer Fire Department, of Omaha. Was Assistant Cheif three years. Mr. F. is also a member of the Pleasant Hours Club.
ELMER D. FRANK, clerk of the United States Circuit and District Courts, came to Nebraska, May 24, 1869. He located at Falls City and resided there until 1875. Since then his residence has been chiefly at Omaha. He was for some time deputy clerk of the two courts and became clerk of the District Court in March, 1879 and of the Circuit Court, November 19, 1881. He was born at Clearfield, Clearfield County, Pa., July 11, 1856, and lived in his native State until he moved to Nebraska. Mr. Franks was married at Decatur, Neb., October 13, 1880, to Miss Mary E. Burbank.
C. H. FREDERICK, dealer in hats, caps, straw goods and furs. Commenced business in Omaha in February, 1871, and has since been engaged in business in the same location. He was born in Hamilton, Madison County, N. Y., in May, 1828. When a boy he was taken to Philadelphia and was reared there. He commenced business at St. Louis in 1851, being in the hat business there. He raised the Ninth Missouri Volunteer Infantry and afterward filled the regiment in Illinois, and by recommendation of Governor Yates, the regiment was changed to the Fifty-ninth Illinois Volunteer Infantry. He entered the service in May, 1861, and gave up the colonelcy to a regular army officer, being commissioned Lieutenant-Colonel. He commanded the regiment and the second brigade of the Army of the Southwest with Gen. Jeff. C. Davis, in the campaigns through Missouri, Arkansas, Mississippi, Alabama, Tennessee and Kentucky. He served at Corinth and Stone River, and was wounded at Pea Ridge. Resigned in January, 1863. In September, 1863, he was appointed Lieutenant Colonel, Veteran Reserve Corps, and commanded the depot camp at Washington, D. C. organizing troops up to December. Commanded the Fifth Regiment Veteran Reserve Corps and Burnside Barracks and was a member of Generals Casey and Hancock's First Army Corps Boards for the examination of officers. Commanded a regiment and garrison in Indiana from July, 1865, to March, 1866. He was made Brevet Colonel United States Volunteers for gallant and meritorious service during the war, and breveted Brigadier General United States Volunteers for gallant and meritorious services during the campaigns of the Southwest and for conspicuous discipline and gallantry at the battle of Pea Ride. Ark. Was commissioned First Lieutenant Forty-fifth United States Infantry in July, 1866, Brevet Captain U. S. Army for gallant and meritorious service at Pea Ridge; Brevet Major U. S. Army for services at Stone River, Tenn. With his company at Ash Barracks, Nashville, Tenn., up to September, 1868. In Louisville, Ky., till December, 1868. Transferred to Fourteenth U. S. Infantry from Louisville to Fort Thompson, Dakota, until 1870. At Fort Omaha, Neb., until he resigned, December 31, 1870. In February, 1871, he started in business. Gen. Frederick was married at Binghamton, N. Y. in February, 1874, to Helen A., daughter of Major Augustus Morgan of that place. He is a member of the A., F. & A. M., I. O. O. F., and G. A. R.
ANDREW FREDERICKSON, dairy, corner Twenty-third and Mason, Omaha. He was born in 1830, in Denmark, where he lived until 1867, when he came to America. He was married in Denmark, in 1857, to Miss Carrie Larson. They have six children. He has been engaged in present business for past eight years, employing five men; two delivery wagons and eight horses. He has seventy-nine head of cattle in his dairy and does a large retail business.
EDWARD L. FREEMAN, firm of E. L. Freeman & Co., manufacturers of crackers and wholesale dealers in candies, nuts and cigars, 1113 Harney street. He began business in January, 1880, and manufactures 100,000 crackers a month. Employs twenty men. Sales extend through Nebraska and Wyoming. The salaries paid per month to employes equals $550. Mr. F. Was born in Macomb County, Mich., October 5, 1857. He lived in Michigan and Oberlin, Ohio, until he went to Omaha, Neb., in 1880. He is a member of the Masonic order of his native place in Michigan, also a member of the I. O. O. F., Beacon Lodge No. 20, of Omaha.
J. W. FREEMAN, R. P. O. clerk Railway Mail Service. Was born in Red Bank, Armstrong County, Pa., April 8, 1846. Enlisted in 1863 in Co. L, Twelfth Pennsylvania Cavalry and served until mustered out, July, 1865. Came to Nebraska in 1867, locating at Table Rock, Pawnee County, and engaged in carpentering, a trade he had learned in Pennsylvania. Appointed to present position December, 1880. Mr. F. is a member of the A. O. U. W.
EGBERT E. FRENCH, member of the firm of J. B. French & Co., wholesale grocers, was born in Pulaski, Oswego County, N. Y., September 22, 1841. He came to Omaha in 1867, having lived in Erie County, Pa., two years prior to his coming here. Was engaged in the insurance business in Omaha for seven years, and about six months after discontinuing that commenced in the grocery business with his brother, J. B. French. Was married in Union City, Pa., October 27, 1868, to Lizzie McLean. She was born in Waterford, Pa. They have four children, Florence V., Edwin A., Georgie M., and Guy B.
JOHN FRENK, proprietor of the California House, containing eighteen rooms and has accommodations for fifty guests. There are ten hands employed. Average number of guests forty. He is also engaged in freighting, where he employs five teams and does a general business in that line in the city. Also does large contracting and handling of freight. He first located in Omaha in 1868 and began the hack business and followed the same until 1876. Then sold out and went on his farm three miles southwest of the city and lived one year. Moved back to the city and began his present business. He was born in Germany, July 6, 1840. Emigrated to America in 1847. He was married in Syracuse, N. Y., in 1860, to Miss Sarah Root, who was born in the latter city. They have one daughter whose name is Nellie Frenk.
D. S. M. FRETWELL, auctioneer 1405 Douglas street. He was born in Wisconsin in 1827. When eighteen years of age he went to England, remaining a short time. Since that time he has traveled very extensively, having been in all the States and Territories of the United States. For seven years he traveled with various circuses. In 1855 he engaged in his present business which he since followed. He is probably the best salesman in the West, having a thorough knowledge of the business in all its branches. In addition to selling a general line of merchandise of all kinds, he is well known as a salesman of thoroughbred stock. He was married in 1863 at Delaware, Iowa, to Miss Mary A. Enas. They have two children. Mr. F. never uses alcoholic liquors of any kind.
CARL A. FRIED, with Lee, Fried & Co. Came to Nebraska in the fall of 1869, locating on a farm in Burt County. He remained there until January, 1872, then entering the service of H. J. Lee, of Fremont, Four years later he became a partner of Mr. Lee. He was born in Sweden, July 1, 1844, and came to America in 1862. Prior to coming to Nebraska he lived in Chicago. He was married in Geneseo, Ill., to Miss Mary Lobeck, April 1, 1866. They have seven children, Emily M., Matilda A., Evaline C., Ernest G., Esther B., Carl A. Jr., and Theron. Mr. Fried is a member of the A. F. & A. M. up to the thirty-second degree and is also a K. of H. He served about seven months in the construction corps, under Gen. Wright in the Army of the Mississippi.
GUST FRIES, carpenter and fence builder of iron, wooden and ornamental designs. He settled in Omaha in 1873 and worked by the day at various occupations about one year. He then went in company with Otto Buckbee in the fence business, carpenter work, etc., and continued two years when they sold out to C. F. Goodman and Mr. Fries took charge of the shop two years, after which he began business for himself in company with other parties in the same business and continued one and one-half years. Then bought the whole interest and has since conducted the same, employing two men to assist him. During the past year he has done between $7,000 and $8,000 worth of business. He was born in Germany, July 15, 1847. Came to America in the spring of 1869. Was married in Iowa City, Iowa, April 12, 1870, to Miss Johanna Thoelecke, a native of Germany. They have four children, George W., Rudolph, Charles A., and Henrietta H. Mr. F. belongs to the Knights of Pythias, Planet Lodge No. 4., holding the office of Past Chancellor. He is also a member of the Ohio Life Insurance Company.
CHARLES L. FRITSCHER, of firm of West & Fritscher, was born in Germany in 1841. Came to America in 1854. He learned the trade of cigar maker at Hamilton, Canada and was employed at it until 1861, then carried on a cigar factory for a few months at Brantford, Canada. Then employed at his trade again at same place for about two years. At New York for two years and also in other States for some time. He then carried on a cigar factory at Leavenworth, Kan., for three months. Came to Nebraska in March, 1867. Located at Omaha and has been a partner in this firm since. Mr. Fritscher was married at Omaha, in 1869, to Mary Schneider, a native of Ohio. They have four children--Louisa F., Charles L., Henry W., and Robert E.
J. S. FRUEHAUF, books, stationery, etc. In business since 1868. Carries a stock of $3,000 to $4,000 and the yearly sales aggregate $10,000. Mr. F. was born in Moravia, Austria, July 16, 1837. Came to the United States in 1866 and after clerking in different places finally settled in Omaha, Nebraska, in 1868 and started present business. He was married in Omaha, January, 1869, to Miss Fannie Betzele. She was born in Austria. They have four children, Fritz, Fannie, Louisa and Henry. Mr. F. Is a member of the Turn Verein.
A. W. FULLRIEDE, manufacturer and dealer in boots and shoes, 1312 Douglas street. Established in 1879, but ran a shoe manufactory since 1876. Employs six men. Trade amounts to $25,000 per annum. Was born in Germany, February 9, 1848. Learned his trade in the latter country and emigrated to American in 1868, and located in Chicago, Ill., and worked at his trade one year. Then went to Omaha, Neb. He worked at his trade until 1876, then began his present retail trade and manufacturing. He was married in Omaha, Neb., in 1875, to Lottie Graham, who was born in Missouri. They have one daughter, Mabel M. He is a member of the Lutheran Church, also of the I. O. O. F., No. 10 State Lodge.
JOHN B. FURAY, Post Office Inspector, was born near Hillsborough, Highland County, Ohio, his parents being from Ireland and old settlers there. Mr. Furay himself can readily speak the Irish language. Being raised on a farm he received only such educational advantages as the common schools afforded, and at seventeen he began teaching, attending Oberlin College as long as he could afford, until after the war commenced when he enlisted as a private in Company B. First Independent Battalion of Ohio Volunteer Cavalry (afterwards made into the Eleventh Ohio Cavalry regiment). Held all the non-commissioned positions of his company until September, 1864, when he was commissioned as First Lieutenant of Company G. of his regiment, and in October, 1865, was made Adjutant of the regiment, which commission he held until mustered out in July, 1866, his being the last regiment of Ohio troops discharged. After his discharge Mr. F. Emigrated to Nebraska, locating in Douglas County in the fall of 1866, where for a few months he worked as a common laborer on a farm and then taught a country school near Omaha for one term. In the spring of 1867, he went into the grocery business in Omaha, the firm being Furay & Harmon. In October, 1868, he was elected a member of the first State Legislature which convened at Lincoln in January, 1869. July 1, 1869, he was appointed local agent of the Post Office Department to supervise the transfer of mails between Omaha, Neb., and Council Bluffs, Iowa, and on August 1, 1870, was promoted to the position of Post Office Inspector, which position he has held ever since, during which time his duties being almost wholly upon the frontiers of civilization protecting and promoting the important service of the Department he represents; his life has been one constant adventure and his great success has earned for him the exalted rank he holds in that service. Mr. F. was married April 6, 1869, to Miss Kate M. McShane, a native of Perry County, Ohio. They have eight children, Edward S., Charles E., John B., Frank A., Clarence M., Alice L., James H., and Guy V.
MAJ. JOHN V. FUREY. His rank is Assistant-Quartermaster in the army. He first entered the Fourteenth New York State Militia in 1861 in April, going in as private, and served eighteen months in that capacity, when he was honorably discharged, and in 1864 he was appointed as Assistant-Quartermaster of Volunteers. He has served continuously from that date to the present time. He was transferred in that capacity to the regular army in May, 1867, coming to Omaha in the spring of 1876, and took station at the latter place in 1877. He was in Gen. Crook's campaign from 1876 to 1877, participating in the engagements against the Sioux nation of Indians. There are about seventy men under his present supervision in the Quartermaster Department, at the average wages of from $35 to $150 per month. He was born in Brooklyn, N. Y., March 22, 1839. He spent the early part of his life in the latter city, or until the breaking out of the Rebellion, when he enlisted as before stated.
BENJAMIN GALLAGHER, of the firm of Paxton & Gallagher, wholesale grocers, was born in Pleasant Grove Tp., Des Moines Co., Iowa, in 1840. He was engaged in the grocery business in Ottumwa, Iowa, for two years prior to his coming to Nebraska. In 1863 he came to Nebraska, and was sutler at McPherson about three years. He then went to Cheyenne and started a wholesale grocery house with a Mr. McGath, remaining there three years. He then removed to Omaha and engaged in the cattle trade for three years, and then engaged in the grocery business again, this time with F. C. Morgan, remaining with him about five years. In 1879 he went into partnership with William A. Paxton in the grocery business, and has followed this business since.
W. R. GAMBLE, proprietor of the "O.K." shaving and hairdressing emporium, S. W. corner Twelfth and Farnam streets, Omaha, came here in 1867, and has been successfully connected with his present business since. He is at present the Grand Master of the Free and Accepted Ancient York Masons for the State of Nebraska, and which honorable position he has held for the last four years.
J. W. GANNETT, auditor of Union Pacific R. R. Co., is a native of Massachusetts. Was born in Sharon, Norfolk County, June 5, 1831. Was for many years connected with the mercantile house of James M. Beebe & Co., in the city of Boston, and a member of the succeeding firm. J. C. Burrage & Co., until July 1, 1870, when he was elected auditor of the U. P. R. R. Co., to take charge of the accounts and financial affairs of the operating department of the company. Previous to that date he had no railroad experience. He is also secretary and treasurer of Omaha & Republican Valley R. R. Co.; Omaha, Nebraska & Black Hills R. R. Co.; Hastings & Grand Island R. R. Co.; Utah & Northern R. R. Co.; Echo & Park City R. R. Co.; Salt Lake & Western R. R. Co.; Greeley, Salt Lake & Pacific R. R. Co.; the Pacific Express Co., and treasurer of St. Joseph Bridge Co. Was elected Regent of the University of State of Nebraska in 1875, and re-elected in 1879. He married Miss Frances R. Josselyn, of Boston, and has one son, Earl W., born in August, 1867.
J. J. GARBER, saloon, North 21st st., was born and reared in Buffalo, N. Y. In 1861 he enlisted in Company H, First Wisconsin Volunteers, and after a three-months' service he re-enlisted as veteran in the Twenty-ninth Wisconsin, and remained in active service till the end of the war. Was honorably discharged as Sergeant-Major. After his services in the war he came here, and has been successfully connected with his present business since.
RALPH E. GAYLORD, son of the late Rev. Reuben Gaylord, attorney and counselor of law. He began the practice of law in Omaha in 1876, having been admitted to the bar of that year. He was born in Danville, Iowa, September 8, 1849. He entered the Iowa College at Grinnell, Iowa, in 1869, and entered the Sophomore class. Graduated in 1872, and took the A. M. degree at the time of graduating and the A. B. degree in 1875. He taught two years in the Omaha High School as assistant principal, after which he began the study of law in the law-office of Ambrose & Briggs, and was admitted to the bar as above noted. He has been connected with the schools of the city, either as a member of the Board of Education or in other capacities, for a number of years. He was a member of the Nebraska Legislature in the winter of 1879-80. He was married in Grinnell, Iowa, in October, 1879, to Miss Mary E. Timmerman, who was born in Buffalo, N. Y.
REV. REUBEN GAYLORD, the first Congregational minister, and one of the early settlers of Nebraska, was born at Norfolk, Litchfield Co., Conn., April 28, 1812. He was one of eight children, and his parents were of the genuine Puritan stock. His early boyhood was passed on his father's farm, where he enjoyed the benefit of a strictly Christian home. In 1830 he entered Yale College, at New Haven, Conn., where he took a high position as a scholar and a Christian student. In Greek, Latin and mathematics, his scholarship was of a high standard, and among the first he graduated with honor in 1834, having taken a full college course. Among those who were present and heard his graduating oration, was Prof. J. M. Sturtevant, who at once sought him out for tutorship in Illinois College, at Jacksonville, Ill. After consulting his parents and friends, he accepted the offer, and in the spring of 1835 went to Jacksonville to enter upon his labors as instructor. He remained there until September, 1837, and while performing the duties of tutor, studied theology under Dr. Edward Beecher, who was then president of the institution. In the fall of 1837 he returned East, and entered Yale Theological Seminary, where he graduated in 1838, and soon afterwards came West to Iowa. There, at the age of twenty-six, he commenced his chosen work of preaching the gospel, a work he dearly loved, and which he lived and died. He was the second Congregational minister in Iowa, coming into the Territory a few months after Father Turner. Many of the churches were gathered by him, and he was also one of the founders of Iowa College, and was for many years numbered among its trustees. He was one of three who formed the first Congregational Association of that State. Beside performing much missionary labor, he preached to the churches of Mt. Pleasant and Danville, and was settled Pastor at the latter place more than eleven years. Needing rest after years of constant labor, in September, 1855, he crossed the State of Iowa to the Missouri River with a horse and buggy, a distance of 300 miles, spending a part of a Sabbath in Omaha, then in its infancy. He was invited by Gov. O. D. Richardson, a gentleman who was once governor of Michigan, and an intelligent Congregationalist, to come and labor in Omaha. After returning to Eastern Iowa, and conferring with his family and brethren in the ministry, he asked a dimission from his pastorate, and as soon as practicable took his little family of five and started on the long journey to Nebraska. After many hindrances and much hardship, caused by encountering storms and fording streams with steep, icy banks, they reached Omaha on Christmas Day, 1855. In the post office he found a commission to labor in Nebraska, forwarded to him here by the Am. Home Missionary Society. There was then no church organization of any kind in the place, but about this time a small Methodist class was formed by Rev. Mr. Collins. The only place for holding religious service was the State House, and in this Mr. Gaylord preached every Sabbath afternoon. The one hotel in the town was kept by G. M. Mills, and was always more than full. The best Mr. Gaylord could do was to go into a small, unfinished house where he and his family were compelled to wage a constant warfare against the intense cold by day and by night, often afraid that some one of their number would literally freeze to death. The winter of 1855-56 will not soon be forgotten by those who were called upon to endure the privations and bear the hardships of pioneer life in Omaha. The thermometer was often down to 28°, and more than once stood at 30° below zero. The following winter was perhaps equally severe, but the new settlers had in the mean time gathered some comforts around them, and endured its severity with less suffering. The next spring, on Sabbath, May 4, 1856, he organized a church of nine members, and about this time a church edifice was commenced, which was so far completed by the following October that the basement was occupied for holding meetings. The building was completed in August of the next year, 1857. It was a neat, substantial edifice of brick, and the audience-room was rendered very pleasant and attractive by the ladies, who furnished it from the proceeds of a fair--the first ever held in Nebraska, and which netted $400. On the Second Sabbath in May, 1856, Mr. G. organized a Congregational Church in Fontenelle, Neb., forty miles northwest of Omaha, situated on the east bluff of the Elkhorn River. This place, for beauty of scenery and healthfulness of location, can not be surpassed in the State of Nebraska. It was named from the Indian Chief Logan Fontenelle, of whom the land was purchased. A colony had settled there from Quincy, Ill., late in the year of 1854. Many of these were Baptists, and wishing to locate a college which would grow up with the young State, procured a charter to that effect, but becoming discouraged, made proposals to the Congregationalists, which were accepted, and the charter was assigned to them. A college building was erected in 1856-57, and for many years a flourishing school was maintained, which sent out teachers and others whose influence has been widely felt for good. To establish this institution on a firm foundation, Mr. Gaylord raised considerable money, and for twelve or fifteen years gave to it much thought, time and effort. But it finally suffered some reverses from injury to the building by fire and wind, and a majority of the Congregational ministers wishing it removed to some other place, it was given up, and Doane College, located at Crete, Neb. took its place. The financial reverses of 1857-58 were a heavy blow to the prosperity of the youthful city of Omaha. It took away many valuable young men, and others, who had come hither to engage in business, and especially hindered all those church enterprises which were begun with so much hope and courage. Mr. G. continued to minister to the church in Omaha, and in the mean time visited other settlements, preaching and gathering other churches wherever there was sufficient encouragement to do so. In 1864 he was appointed agent for the A. H. M. Society, his field embracing the two western tier of counties in Iowa, and the whole of Nebraska. He accepted this appointment and after giving up his special care of the church in Omaha, entered upon these labors with the zeal and enthusiasm which characterized all his efforts. He resigned this work in 1870, the resignation taking effect in the spring of '71. During the summer of 1871 he was sent out by the A. H. M. S. to explore on the line of the U. P. R. R., and find openings for missionary labor. He visited Salt Lake City twice, and afterwards Colorado on the same errand. From this time for more than four years, while he still resided in Omaha, he constantly preached at LaPlatte, Papillion, and other places, where good needed to be done. About the close of the year 1875, he was requested to go to Fontenelle, as the church there was without a minister. This place had always been dear to him, and his love for the people had ever been reciprocated by them, and year by year for four years they invited him to remain with them. Much of this time he cared for the two churches of Jalapa and Fontenelle, holding three services and riding twelve miles every Sabbath. On January 2, 1880, soon after the commencement of his fifth year of labor in Fontenelle, and during the week of prayer, he was suddenly stricken down with paralysis, and after nearly thirty-six hours of apparent unconsciousness, passed away from earth. His remains were taken to Omaha, and on Tuesday, the 13th, were interred in Prospect Hill Cemetery. Two weeks later, by special request of Rev. Mr. Sherill, and a large number of Omaha people, a very interesting memorial service was held in the Congregational Church, which was participated in by many of the leading citizens and clergymen, who had gathered for that purpose. Mr. G. was married twice. First in October, 1838 to Miss Sarah Burton, of Plymouth, Ill, who died in less than two years, leaving an infant daughter. In November, 1841, he was again married, to Miss Mary M. Welles, of Newington, Conn., who still survives him. Of five children, only two are living. Mrs. S. C. Brewster, of Irvington, Neb., and Ralph E. Gaylord, of the law firm of Webster & Gaylord, Omaha, Neb. Mr. Gaylord, at the time of his death was sixty-seven years and eight months old.