|SECTION 1: The Early Days||SECTION 2: More Early Days|
|SECTION 3: Omaha in 1870||SECTION 4: Present Day (1882)|
|SECTION 5: Crimes||SECTION 6: Fires and Public Works|
|SECTION 7: Health, Parks, Mail||SECTION 8: The Press in Omaha|
|SECTION 9: Press Continued||SECTION 10: Religious|
|SECTION 11: Religious (cont.)||SECTION 12: Cemetery and Schools|
|SECTION 13: Legal and Medical||SECTION 14: Opera House-Hotels-Business|
|SECTION 15: Societies||SECTION 16: Societies (Cont.)|
|SECTION 17: Business||SECTION 18: Manufacturing|
|SECTION 19: Manufacturing (cont.)|
20 - 46:
** Omaha Biographical Sketches **|
| ABLE~BARRIGER | BARTLETT~BOYD | BOYER~BURNHAM |
| BURR~CONKLING | COFFMAN~CREIGHTON |
| CRITTENTON~DIETZ | DINSMOOR~FAWCETT |
| FEARON~GAYLORD | GELATTE~GROSSMANN |
| GROSS~HAVENS | HAWES~HOILE |
| HOLDREDGE~JORGENSEN | JOSLYN~LEISENRING |
| LEHMAN~LOWE | LUDINGTON~MARHOFF |
| MANNING~MILLER | MILLSPAUGH~NINDEL |
| O'CONNOR~PEABODY | PAUL~READ | REDICK~ROGERS |
| ROSENBERY~SCOTT | SEAMAN~SIMPSON | SINCERE~STONE |
| STORZ~UMPHRESON | URLAU~WILBUR | WILDE~WOOD |
| WOODARD~ZEHRUNG | West Omaha Precinct | Douglas Precinct |
List of Illustrations in Douglas County Chapter
GEORGE A. JOSLYN, manager of the Western Newspaper Union, at Omaha, first located in that city in April, 1880, going there to establish a branch office of the Western Newspaper Union; principal office at Des Moines, Iowa, with branch at Kansas City, Mo. He was born in Lowell, Mass., in 1848, and went to Montreal, Canada, in 1865 to engage in the manufacture of paper collars for another party, which he followed for twelve years, then engaged in the printing business in the same city for three years. Mr. Joslyn is now manager of the Omaha branch of the Western Newspaper Union, printing patent insides for over 100 western papers. He is also proprietor of the St. Charles Hotel, which is conducted under his supervision.
S. T. JOSSELYN, paymaster Union Pacific Railroad, was born in Buffalo, N. Y., January 14, 1842. At the age of sixteen he was mailing clerk of the Buffalo Morning Express. In 1859 he became employed by the Illinois Central Railroad Company as storekeeper, at Amboy, Ill., and taught a winter term of school at Elkader, Iowa. In 1860-61 he enlisted as a private at the first call of the President, for three years service troops, on the breaking out of our late civil war, in the company which became Company C., Thirteenth Illinois Volunteer Infantry. Was made First Sergeant and First Lieutenant of the same company, was in command much of the time up to the expiration of our term of service. Captured flag at battle of Mission Ridge, Ga., November, 1863. Captured rebel flag of Eighteenth Alabama. Was also active Quarter Master of the Regiment for several months at the request of the Colonel. Was mustered out in the summer of 1864, at Springfield, Ill. Was then employed on the Winona & St. Peter Railroad, in Minnesota, as ticket and cash clerk, until January, 1866. From there to St. Joe on Hannibal & St. Joe Railway, until June, 1866. From there to Omaha and was at once connected with the Union Pacific opened Omaha Station and sold the first ticket out of Omaha over the Union Pacific. He was then transferred to the General Freight and Ticket Office, and was also clerk in office of General Superintendent Webster Snyder, and went to Green River in 1868 and kept the Company's store for contractors, and also built two miles of heavy grading at same time. In fall of 1868 he returned to Omaha and was appointed paymaster of Union Pacific. Is a member of Mount Calvary Commandery of Knights Templar. Married Miss Henrietta C. Cutler, of Buffalo, N. Y., September 21, 1969. They have two children, May E. and Blanche Hoxie.
CHARLES KAUFMANN, fire insurance and real estate, came to Omaha October 23, 1869. He was born in Prussia, October 23, 1848, and came to America in October, 1869. He engaged in his present business in the spring of 1880. He was elected a member of the City Council, in 1879, as Ward Councilman for two years, and in 1881 as Councilman at large, for another term of two years. He has been secretary of the Merchants and Manufacturers' Union of Nebraska, since its organization in February, 1881. He is one of the founders of the Omaha Turner's Society, which was organized in 1874, and was presiding officer of that society from 1877 to 1881. He was married at Omaha, July 3, 1871, to Anna Ficenez, a native of Austria. They have four children, Charles, John Edward, Anna Christiana C., and Julius.
EDWARD KAUFMAN, barber, 807 S. Tenth street, Omaha. Was born in Germany, August 15, 1854. Came to this country, August 28, 1880, and settled in Omaha where he has been in business since.
CHARLES J. KARBACH, wagon maker, horseshoer and repairer. Was born in Germany, in 1834, and was engaged in that country as a farmer. He came to America, in 1852, and was for two years employed learning the trade of wagon maker and blacksmith at Sheboygan, Wis.. Came to Nebraska in 1858, located at Omaha and opened wagon making and horseshoeing establishment, which he carried on for eleven years. In 1869 entered into wholesale liquor business in company with two others, they ran the business for some two years, then Mr. Karbach carried it on alone for four years. In 1875, he again opened a wagon making and horseshoeing establishment in company with Henry Grebe, they were in partnership together about eighteen months, since then Mr. Karbach has been engaged in the business alone. His son William assists him.
PETER J. KARBACH, wagon maker and blacksmith shop, was born in Germany in 1839. Learned the trade of blacksmith in that country. Came to America in 1857, was employed as a blacksmith in Chicago, Ill., then in St. Louis and St. Charles, Mo., for two years. Came to Nebraska in 1859, located in Omaha, he was employed by his brother, C. J. Karbach, for two years. In 1861, went to California, remained only a short time. Was then in the overland mail company's employ for one year in Nevada. Had a wagon and blacksmith business at Empire City, Nev., for three years. Returned to Omaha in 1866, and went into partnership with his brother, Charles J., in a wagon and blacksmith business, they continued together about two years, and since 1868 he has been alone, carrying on same business. Manufactures principally spring wagons, employs three men. He was married in Omaha, in 1868, to Margeret Lamb, native of Germany. They have five children. Arthur, Amanda, Emil, George, and Othalea.
A. N. KEAR, saloon and city weigh scales, dealer in cattle, etc., 2101 Cuming street, was born in Denmark, February 5, 1853. In 1873 he came to this country and settled in Omaha, and has been connected with his present business industries since. In 1875 he was married to Miss Christiana Smith, in Omaha. She was born in Denmark, August 20, 1849.
JOHN H. KELLOM, capitalist, Omaha, Neb., was born in Washington County, N. Y., in 1818, going to Auburn, N. Y, where he taught school, and took a course at Williams College, in 1842 went to Georgia and taught school for a number of years. He also read law, but never practiced, preferring teaching. Settled in Nebraska in 1856, locating at Omaha in 1857, opened a bank in connection with Mr. Gridley, at Buffalo, N. Y., but owing to the panic of 1857, only ran it six months; in settling up the affairs of the bank he took several acres of land as his portion, and offered it at $40 per acre, but could not sell it. He has since sold the land at $2,000 per acre. In 1858, in company with Henry Zoller, went into the grocery business. In 1859 was appointed Clerk of the U. S. District Court, also Clerk of the State District Court, holding the position three years. In 1862 was appointed U. S. Deputy Collector, and held that office for three years. In 1865, was commissioned as Postmaster at Omaha, and remained there nine months. In 1866 was selected by the school board to make arrangements for the establishment of a high school, and was retained as principal for three years. In 1880 went to California, and purchased an orange ranch of forty acres, having over 2,000 orange and lemon trees, some in bearing condition. Was married in July, 1850, to Miss Newell of Springfield, Mass.
WILLIAM T. KELLY, general superintendent of the Kansas Central R. R., was born in Wellsburg, W. Va., in 1842. In 1861 he enlisted in the First Virginia Cavalry, and served until the close of the war. He was then engaged in the livery business in Wellsburg until he came to Nebraska, in 1867. He located at Omaha, and entered the employ of the U. P. R. R. Co. Was employed as brakeman, but served in that capacity only a few weeks. He was then employed as freight conductor until March, 1873, when he was given charge of a passenger train. He served as passenger conductor until February 1, 1882, when he was given the general superintendency of the K. C. R. R., with headquarters at Leavenworth, Kan. He was married at Sioux City, Iowa, June 3, 1874, to Helen P. Briggs, a native of New Hampshire. They have two sons, Ralph, the oldest, and the baby, born December 28, 1881.
KENNARD BROS. & CO., wholesale druggists. The business now run by Kennard Bros. was established in 1856 by H. W. Tuttle. He was succeeded in 1857 by Bunn & Martin, who ran it until 1865. Martin & Vanderveer were their successors. Mr. Vanderveer died, and Martin conducted the business until 1875. Then F. B. Kennard, who had been with the concern since its infancy, became a partner under the firm name of Martin & Kennard. Martin sold out to Kennard & Forsyth, and they conducted the business until 1879, when the present firm was organized. F. B. and George A. Kennard, A. B. Carpenter and Edgar Zabriskie, constitute the firm. In 1860 the business amounted to $40 per day. In 1870 it had increased to $75 per day. Now they do about $225,000 a year, wholesale and retail. The give employment to twelve men. Their sales are in Nebraska, Iowa, Dakota, Colorado, Wyoming, Utah and Missouri.
HOWARD KENNEDY, secretary of land department of U. P. R. R., was born in Lansingburgh, State of New York, August 18, 1832. Spent his early life upon a farm, up to the age of seventeen years, when he went to Kinderhook Academy, and afterwards entered the Class of '57 in Williams College. While pursuing his studies there he spent part of his time, and also his winter vacations, as was the custom at that time, in teaching in Naperville, Ill., Kinderhook Academy, and in Mount Joy, Pa, continuing the same up to his coming to Omaha, in 1859; when he organized the first public school in Nebraska. He returned to Pennsylvania in 1860 and married Miss Maggie A. Long, of Mount Joy, Pa. From that time up to spring of 1865 he carried on a boarding school in Columbia County, N. Y., when he came to Nebraska City, and was appointed Receiver of U. S. Land Office. Upon the removal of that office to Lincoln, Neb., Mr. K. went there and remained until June, 1869, when he was appointed to his present position of secretary of land department of U. P. R. R. He is a member of the Order of Knights Templar of A., F. & A. M. Has been a member of the Board of Education since its organization in 1871 to 1881. Was President of the Board one term and Vice-President three terms. Mr. K. has taken an active part in school matters for many years, and was School Examiner for Otoe County, Neb. Has three children, Alfred C., Howard and Wynnie.
HON. BENJAMIN ELI BARNETT KENNEDY, second son of Hon. Samuel B. Kennedy, was born in Bolton, Chittenden County, Vt., April 20, 1827. He resided with his parents and worked on the farm until twenty-one years old. Acquired an academical education. Read law with Maynard & Edmonds (Senator Edmonds). Admitted to practice law before the county court at Burlington, Vt., September, 1853, and before the Supreme Count of Vermont in 1855. Removed to Omaha, Neb., September 14, 1858, where he has continuously resided and followed his chosen profession. He was elected Alderman, April, 1863, and to the office of Mayor in same year to fill the vacancy occasioned by the resignation of Mayor George Armstrong, and was re-elected to that office the following year. Has held the office of City Solicitor one term. Held the office of director of the city public schools eight years consecutively, commencing in 1864, during which time the present school system was established and course of instruction adopted. Was appointed a member of the Board of Education of the State Normal School in 1872 by the Governor and reappointed his own successor in 1877, and is at this time President of that Board. Was elected Representative in the Territorial Legislature in 1864 and to the Territorial Council in 1865. In 1866 was chairman of the joint committee on revision of the Statutes of Nebraska. Has served one term in the State Legislature as member of the House. Was one of the original incorporators of the Nebraska Academy of Sciences and has been corresponding secretary since its organization in 1880. Has been a member of the Douglas County Bar Association and the Douglas County Law Library Association since their organization and served as president of both. Also a member of the State Bar Association and of the State Board of Fish Commissioners, to which last-named office he was appointed by the Governor. In politics he is and always has been a Democrat and cast his first ballot for Lewis Cass for President. Is conservative in sentiment and believes in the right of every "free man" to freely exercise the elective franchise. Mr. Kennedy was married to Frances Gennet Nims, second daughter of Dr. Reuben and Sophia W. Nims, at Romeo, Mich., August 4, 1858. Mrs. Kennedy was born in Richmond, Chittenden Co., Vt., August 4, 1832, and removed to Michigan with her parents in May, 1853. They have three children, Fannie Adelaide, born February 1, 1860, William Hannibal, born August 23, 1864, and Charlotte Hannah, born September 22, 1866.
W. J. KENNEDY, dealer in agricultural implements, was born in Baltimore, Md., November 19, 1832. From 1837 to 1856 he lived in St. Louis, where he was, November 4, 1856, married to Mary M. Mundy, a native of New York, though reared in New Jersey. They have one daughter, Theo C. Mr. K. is the pioneer promoter of the Pioneer Hook and Ladder Company No. 1. He was a member of the City Council in 1860. He came to Omaha December 9, 1856, and engaged in the watch and jewelry business, establishing the first house of the kind here. He continued in that business eight and a half years, then went into the banking business for thirteen months, after which he formed a partnership with John A. Horbach in the commission business, continuing at this from 1865 to 1874. Since January 1, 1876, he has been in his present business. He represents the Davenport Plow Company, Pattee Bros., Monmouth, Ill., Union Corn Planter Works, James Selby & Co., Russell & Co.'s Threshing Machines, C. Aultman & Co., and Nichols, Shepard & Co., Mathew's Hand and Garden Seed Drill. He does a large retail business.
DAVID E. KEYES, of Henderson & Keyes, contractors and builders. Came to Nebraska in 1870. Located at Omaha. Was engaged in the building department of the U. P. R. R. Company for six months and then worked as a carpenter up to the spring of 1880, when he entered in present business in company with William Henderson, and they have continued together since. Born at Binghamton, N. Y., May 25, 1835. Learned trade of carpenter, serving at his trade a regular apprenticeship of three years. Was then employed at his trade in State of Wisconsin up to 1861, when he enlisted in the First Wisconsin Cavalry, served nearly three years. Then employed at trade in Chicago, Ill., up to 1869. Then in building department of C., B. & Q. R. R. for a short time. Married at Aurora, Ill., in 1866 to Isabella Howard, native of that place. They have two children, Maud and Eugene.
RICHARD KITCHEN, came to Omaha September 10, 1878, and opened the Withnell House, with which he has since been connected. He was born in Jefferson County, Mo., in 1835, he crossed the plains and has since been freighting and in the stock business and taking government contracts. He was occupied in this manner until he engaged in the hotel business. The Paxton Hotel is being built by Kitchen Brothers. Dick Kitchen will be the resident manager thereof.
BENJAMIN P. KNIGHT, County Commissioner, is engaged in farming on Section 27, Township 16, Range 12 Union Precinct, Douglas County. He located at Florence in June 1, 1856, engaging in the work of surveying town sites, etc., at which he continued for five or six years. He then took to farming, at which he has been uniformly successful. He has been a County Commissioner since 1872, and has devoted a large share of the past nine years to his official duties. Mr. Knight was at one time County Surveyor. He was born at North Brookfield, Worcester, Co., Mass., April 5, 1830, and lived there until his eighteenth year. He spent one year in New Hampshire, and three years in Boston prior to coming to Nebraska. He married at Charlestown, Mass, in March, 1857, to Miss Adaline F. Mason, a native of New Hampton, N. H. They have four children--Charles E., Henry B., Daniel R., and Frederick. The first day he arrived in Nebraska, he pre-empted his present farm and settled thereon two years later.
LOUIS H. KORTY, Assistant Superintendent of the Telegraph of the Union Pacific R. R., was born October 22, 1846, in Hanover, Prussia. The family came to the United State in 1849 and settled at Fort Madison, Iowa. At the age of fourteen he chose the telegraphic profession, in which he has served various companies in many of the principal cities in this country. In 1862 he joined the United States Military Telegraph Corps as operator and cipher clerk to various commanders of the Union Army in the Southwest, continuing in the Government service until 1867. In the Military Telegraph Mr. Korty rendered most efficient and valuable service to the Union cause, often being exposed to hardships and dangers in common with regularly enlisted men. He has a rare and valuable collection of autograph telegrams of both Union and Confederate Generals, which fell in his possession at various places during the war. In 1867, while at Houston, Texas, he was stricken with yellow fever in the epidemic of that year, and a change of climate compelled his return North, where he entered the service of the Western Union Telegraph Company at Chicago. He came to Nebraska in 1869 and entered the employ of the Union Pacific Railroad Company, and was appointed assistant superintendent of Telegraphs of that road in 1880. He is a member of Capital Lodge No. 3, A., F. & A. M., of Royal Arch Chapter No. 1, Senior Warden of Mt. Calvary Commandery No. 1, Knights Templar, Omaha; also a member of the several bodies of the Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite of Masonry to the thirty-second degree. Is Secretary and Treasurer of the Omaha Electric Company which owns and operates telephone exchange systems at Omaha and Council Bluffs. Mr. Korty is also largely interested in the extension of the telephone business throughout the West, and is the representative of the American Bell Telephone Company for the licensing of telephones for private lines for Nebraska and Wyoming. Mr. Korty married Miss Lizzie B. Sampson, of Chicago, October 14, 1871. They have one child--Gussie Louise.
CHARLES KREBS, freight conductor of Union Pacific Railroad. Was born in Switzerland, in 1846, came to America in 1850. He resided with his father in Dodge County, Wis., until he came to Nebraska in 1866, and located in Omaha; was employed as a laborer by the Union Pacific Railroad Company until 1868, then as a switchman up to 1874, was then engaged as a brakeman for eight months, since then as a freight conductor. Mr. Krebs was married at Omaha, Neb., in 1873, to Barbara Shavlick, a native of Bohemia. They have five children, Charles, Frank, Mamie, Annie, and Matilda.
ERNST KREBS, vinegar manufacturer, Jones street, between Ninth and Eighteenth streets, was born in Germany in 1830. In 1851 he came to this country and after traveling through the country till 1861, he came here and carried on a distillery till 1868. In 1872 he began his present business, and has successfully carried it on since; capacity of manufactory, ten barrels per day. He was married in 1866 to Miss Mary Rottler, who was also born in Germany, in 1837. They have a family of two daughters, Louisa and Mary, and one son, August.
EDWARD KREISSMANN, 914 Tenth street, proprietor of a restaurant, where he serves meals at all hours, also has a bar in connection, began business in 1867. He was born in Leipsic, Saxony, Germany, 1839, came with his parents in 1841 and settled in Boston, Mass. He went to sea at the age of twelve and one-half years, and followed that life for eleven years, beginning as ship boy and in one year was promoted to ordinary seaman. He went to navigation school and received a diploma as third mate. Then he went on a voyage to China, afterward went to the school again and obtained a diploma as second mate. Then he took another voyage to China and the East Indies, being gone eighteen months. He then went to school one month, passed as first mate and served four years in that capacity. He had charge of a Chinese junk in China, on the coast; made one trip and was shipwrecked by a typhoon, but was finally rescued by a Boston Vessel. He soon afterward started for the United States, and on the breaking out of the Rebellion, arrived at Brooklyn Navy Yard, and enlisted as seaman on North Carolina, and was sent with 150 men to Cairo, Ill., where they joined the Mississippi Squadron. He was put on the Carondelet, and was in the battles of Fort Henry, Donelson, Fort Pillow; went down and was at the taking of Memphis, Tenn. He was at Vicksburg on the 3rd of July, 1862, and was sent up the river above Vicksburg, to bring down the rebel gunboat Arkansas. They were accompanied by the gunboats Taylor and Queen of the West. They were obliged to retreat, being badly smashed up. They floated down the river and anchored above Vicksburg; next morning out of 140 men, 110 were sick with fever and ague. They were towed up to Mound City, Ill., for repairs. He was then put in the Marine Hospital, where he remained three months; was then put on the gunboat ram La Fayette, as Quartermaster, and acted in that capacity six months, then promoted to Chief Quartermaster, and held that position until after President A. Lincoln's death, when he resigned and went home to Boston, Mass., and settled some business matters and went to Chicago, Ill. Was there two years in the mercantile business, then went to St. Louis, Mo., bought a stock of $9,000 worth of goods. His goods were put on a steamer ready for shipment, and the steamer burned the same night and he lost all. He then lived in St. Louis, Mo., three months; was then married to Anna Hardwig, who was born in Saxony, Germany. He then went to Omaha, Neb., where he has since lived. He was the first manufacturer of awnings and tents, following it one year. Then went into his present business, first starting on the river side, where he remained eighteen months, then established near the Union Pacific Railroad Depot one season, then in his present place. He has been a Delegate to the County and State Conventions. His wife died November 6, 1880. He belongs to the Masonic Order of St. Louis, Mo., also to a German Order, named Harugari, a mutual insurance society.
WILLIAM KRELLE (Nindel & Krelle), was born in Germany, September 21, 1850, and came to America in 1870. He located in New York City for three years. In 1876 he came to Omaha. He was married at New York in 1875 to Frederika Schlieder, a native of Leipsic, Germany. They have four children, William George, Louise and Frederick. Mr. Krelle has been engaged in the hat business since his youth, and worked in hat factories prior to coming to Nebraska.
LOUIS KROITZSCH, proprietor of the Chicago Steam Dye Works, 1513 Douglas street, Omaha. Is a native of Germany, and came to Omaha in 1880, where he has successfully carried on his business since. In 1873, he was married to Miss Lizzie Harcus, who was born in Scotland, and came to this country in 1865. They were married in Grand Rapids, Mich., where Mr. K. had carried on his business for several years. They have one son, William James. Mrs. K. also carries on the dress and cloak making business in all its styles.
V. KUCERA, saloon S. Thirteenth street, was born in Austria in 1844, and came to this country in 1866 and settled in Omaha in 1868. He followed the cabinet makers' business here till 1870, when he opened the present business which he has carried on since. In 1864 he was married to Miss Annie Bursich. They have one son, V. Kucera.
[RESIDENCE OF N. A. KUHN, COR. OF DODGE AND JEFFERSON STREETS.]
NORMAN A. KUHN, druggist, came to Omaha in the spring of 1879 and has since been in the drug business. He was born in Hanover, Columbia Co., Ohio, March 15, 1854, and lived there until he was four years of age, when his parents moved to Salem, Ohio, that was his home until he came to Omaha. He is a graduate of the Philadelphia College of Pharmacy in the class of 1877. His business amounted to over $25,000 in 1881. The business of 1882 will amount to very much more than that sum. His store is located on the corner of Fifteenth and Douglas streets.
EUGENE KUONY, United States Government Storekeeper, Willow Springs Distillery, was born in Alsace, Germany, July 17, 1843. Was engaged in railroading and station agent in Germany. Came to United States July, 1870, locating in Fort Calhoun, Washington Co., Neb., engaged in clerking in store with his brother, J. B. He was appointed to present position December 1880. He was married in Omaha July 27, 1881, to Miss Anna Mehring, of Cedar Creek, Cass Co., Neb. She was born in Germany, October 7, 1858.
M. A. KURTZ, dealer in ladies' furnishing goods, suits and cloaks. Business established in 1868, by Kurtz, Mohr & Davis. Mr. K., has been alone since 1875. Mr. K., was born in Gettysburg, Pa., July 15, 1841. He enlisted in 1862, in Company F, One Hundred and Thirty-seventh Regiment Pennsylvania Infantry, Col. T. M. Bayne, and served until mustered out at expiration of term of service in 1863. Previous to the war was engaged in notion business in Pittsburgh, Pa., and after his return engaged in the same business in Philadelphia in which he continued until he removed to Nebraska in 1868. Mr. K. was married in Warsaw, N. Y., August 7, 1873, to Miss Belle Bristol, of Warsaw. Mr. K. is a member of the English Lutheran Church, is also a member of the Lock Club a literary society of Omaha.
G. B. LABAGH, storekeeper Union Pacific Railroad, is a native of Pennsylvania, and was born in Northumberland County, November 13, 1836. He remained upon a farm up to the age of nineteen, when he clerked for three years in the boot and shoe house of William E. Smertz & Co., of Pittsburgh, and afterwards in the wholesale boot and shoe house of King & Sterling in Philadelphia. He returned to Pittsburgh in 1861, and at the breaking out of the late Rebellion enlisted in Company F, Seventy-seventh Regiment Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, and was promoted to Quartermaster Sergeant of same regiment, and then to Quartermaster, and then made Division Quartermaster of First Division, Fourth Army Corps, was then detached and made Assistant Quartermaster, of Fourth Army Corps, until his resignation in 1865, when he carried on mercantile business in Peoria, Ill., until the fall of 1866, when he came to Omaha and became connected with the Union Pacific Railroad as clerk in supply department, and was promoted in 1870 to his present position. Mr. L., during the construction of the Union Pacific Railroad, had full charge of the handling of the supplies on the greater part of the line. Is a member of the Knights of Honor, No. 829, of Omaha, was a member of the City Council for two years. Married Miss Phoebe S. Molineux of Pittsburgh, Pa., March 29, 1864. They have two children, Charles G. and Mahela I. E.
JESSE H. LACEY, United States Government Storekeeper, Willow Springs Distillery, was born in Cadiz, Harrison Co., Ohio, July 8, 1826. Engaged in book and publishing business in Cincinnati, and in May, 1859, removed to Nebraska locating at Omaha, and engaged in wholesale groceries under firm name of Lacey & McCormick, succeeded by John McCormick & Co. In 1870 took a position as agent of the C., R. I. and C. & N. W. R. R., which he held about three years, then engaged in retail groceries, appointed to present position, December, 1880. He was married in Falmouth, Pendleton Co., Ky., to Miss Catherine T. Miser, she was from Zanesville, Ohio. Mr. Lacey held the position of Postmaster at Laceyville, Ohio in 1845-46. He is a member of the A., F. & A. M. Lodge, Chapter and Commandery, and of the Scottish Rite, 32d degree.
GEORGE BAKER LAKE was born in Greenfield, Saratoga Co., N. Y., September 15, 1826. His parents were natives of the Empire State, being descendants of the old English Puritan stock. His mother, Nancy Williams, was a lineal descendant of Roger Williams, whose name fills a sacred place in the annals of the American colonies. Walter C. Lake, the father of the subject of this sketch, was a farmer by occupation, and young George, the oldest in a family of six children, was educated on the farm, and followed the vocation of farmer until his majority. At the age of one and a half years he was deprived of the care of a mother, and when nine years old he was left an orphan by the death of his father. At this age he shoved his barge boldly out from shore and began the earnest conflict of life for himself. His father having removed to Ohio in 1835, a few months before his death, young George was left among strangers, but found ready employment among the neighboring farmers. His only schooling during his minority was the district schools of that new portion of the Buckeye State. After attaining his majority he entered Oberlin College and took an independent course of two years. In 1849 he entered the law office of W. F. Lockwood, at Elyria, Ohio, and after one year became a student in the law office of Clark & Burk, in the same city. In the fall of 1851 he was admitted to the bar before Judges Hitchcock and Spaulding in the Supreme Court of the State. On the dissolution of the partnership of Clark & Burk, in the spring of 1852, Mr. Lake entered into a partnership with Mr. Burk, with whom he continued a successful practice for two years. He then withdrew from the firm and formed a partnership with Lionel A. Sheldon, now a member of Congress from Louisiana. This partnership continued until his removal to Nebraska in 1857, when he settled in Omaha and continued the practice of his profession in partnership with A. J. Poppleton, one of the most eminent lawyers of the State and at present the attorney for the Union Pacific Railroad Company at a salary of $10,000 a year. In 1859 he was elected to the Territorial Legislature from Douglas County, to which position he has been returned by the suffrage of his constituents at three subsequent elections. In the session of 1865, he served as Speaker of the House. He was one of the committee to draft the first State Constitution, under which the State was admitted to the Union. In the fall of 1866 he was elected Associate Justice of the Supreme Court of the State, and held his first court under the Constitution in April, 1867. By virtue of his office under the Constitution, he is constituted one of the District Judges, and as such has the double duty of two laborious official positions--having performed over one-half the judicial business in the State. In 1871 he was elected as delegate to the Constitutional Convention. At the organization of that body he was placed at the head of the Judiciary Committee, and did good service as a member of several other important committees. In debate his voice was but seldom heard, and then with the force, logic and eloquence that carried conviction. As a lawyer, he ranks with the best in the State. As a judge, his decisions carry weight and command respect. As a citizen, he is among the most influential in Omaha; and as a man, he is honest, honorable, exemplary and commendable. Politically he was a Democrat until the beginning of the rebellion, since which time he has labored with the Republican party. He was married in December, 1851, to Miss D. A. Poppleton, in Belleville, Ohio, by whom he has one son, George E., now in his nineteenth year. In 1854 he lost his wife and was married to a cousin of his first wife and a sister to Hon. A. J. Poppleton, of Omaha, in June, 1856. From this union there was one daughter, Carrie Jane, now in her fifteenth year. In 1860 he lost his second wife, and in 1861 was married to Miss Abby Hays, by whom he has one daughter, Mary, now in her eighth year. Mrs. Lake is a native of Chicago, a strict member of the Episcopal Church; is an intellectual and estimable woman, a good companion and a mother worthy of her charge. Such is a brief record of George B. Lake. He started in life at the age of nine years, and has won the position he occupies by industrious habits and integrity of purpose.
W. E. LAUENSTEIN, groceries and provisions, commenced business in 1881; carries a stock of about $2,000. Mr. L. was born in Put-In-Bay, Ohio, March 30, 1861, engaged in farming until 1880, when he removed to Nebraska, locating in Omaha. Engaged in clerking in grocery store until he opened present business.
W. LAWRENCE, locomotive engineer U. P. R. R. Was born in Boston, Mass., July 15, 1846. In 1860 commenced to learn machinists' trade in shops of Illinois Central Railroad. Came to Nebraska in 1866 and engaged with the U. P. R. R. Has had charge of engine about five years. He was married in Omaha, in 1868, to Miss Shull, of Omaha. They have two children, Henry and Maud. Mr. L. is a member of the I. O. O. F.
JOHN C. LAWTON, Head Clerk Railway Mail Service, was born in Lancashire, England, December 2, 1845. Came to the United States with parents about 1850, located in Connecticut. Remained in Litchfield, Conn., until he was fourteen years old, then engaged in mercantile business until he came to Nebraska, January, 1872, settled in Omaha and took a position as Postal Clerk on the Omaha and Ogden Route from 1878 to 1881. Was in Chief Head Clerk's office, then resumed car service. Is now Head Clerk of car on the Omaha and Ogden route and is acting in place of Chief Head Clerk of Railway mail service during absence of the latter. Mr. L. is a member of the A., F. & A. M., Lodge and Chapter and also of the I. O. O. F. , and the K. of P.
C. A. LEARY, foreman of Locomotive Wood Works of Union Pacific Railroad was born in Brasher, St. Lawrence Co., N. Y., February 11, 1844. Until he was sixteen years of age, worked upon a farm, then worked as a millwright and carpenter in starch factories, saw and woolen mills for three years. In August, 1862, went to Wisconsin and worked as millwright at Oconto and Stiles. In 1866 came to Omaha and first worked with H. H. Visscher in building the Ladies Brick Building and Caldwell Block. In September, 1866 he became employed in the Locomotive Word Work Shop of the Union Pacific Railroad. Looked also after the water works of that road and helped put the machinery of machine shops. Then took a contract for building pilots and also built some twenty-five snow plows. In 1867 went to North Platte and assisted in putting up the machinery of the company shops. In 1868 was made foreman of locomotive woodwork, one of the three of the first employed in that department. Was a member of the Legislature in 1869-70, of Nebraska. Married Miss Louisa M. Burkley, of Omaha, November 18, 1870. (Her parents were early settlers of Omaha, having been here since 1855.) Had four children, two living, Henry and Mary.
EDWARD LEEDER, saloon, 1123 Chicago Street, Omaha, was born in Illinois, in 1850. In 1865 he came to Omaha and engaged in the employ of the Union Pacific Railroad, with which he remained until 1875, when he opened the present business, which he has successfully followed since. In 1872 he was married to Miss Kate Byers, who was born in Germany in 1856. They have a family of two sons and three daughters. They are Charles, Maggie, Gus., Bell and Gertchy.
P. S. LEISENRING, M. D., physician and surgeon, came to Omaha June 1, 1878, and has been in active practice ever since. He is a member of the State Medical Society and the Omaha Pathological Society. He was born in Sunbury, Pa., May 22, 1829, and educated at the Pennsylvania College, at Gettysburg, Pa. In March, 1852, he graduated from the Pennsylvania Medical College at Philadelphia and practiced at Altoona, Pa., before coming to Omaha. He has been City Physician for the past three years and Secretary of the Board of Health. He was married at Hampton Furnace, Lehigh Co., Pa., January 31, 1856, to Emma E. Sigmund, a native of Berks County, Pa. They have ten children, Louisa S., Frederick G., Harry G., Albert M., Lizzie N., Matilda, Bertha, Frank, Martin Luther and Sadie Bell. The Doctor is a professor of obstetrics and diseases of women in the Omaha Medical College. He is a Royal Arch Mason, K. of P., Medical Examiner for the U. B. of Pennsylvania, A. O. U. W., Northwestern A., F. & A. M. and Mutual Aid Society of Ohio. He is also a member of the Home Circle and Secretary of the Board of Health, director of the Y. M. C. A. and Douglas County Bible Society.