|SECTION 1: The Early Days||SECTION 2: More Early Days|
|SECTION 3: Omaha in 1870||SECTION 4: Present Day (1882)|
|SECTION 5: Crimes||SECTION 6: Fires and Public Works|
|SECTION 7: Health, Parks, Mail||SECTION 8: The Press in Omaha|
|SECTION 9: Press Continued||SECTION 10: Religious|
|SECTION 11: Religious (cont.)||SECTION 12: Cemetery and Schools|
|SECTION 13: Legal and Medical||SECTION 14: Opera House-Hotels-Business|
|SECTION 15: Societies||SECTION 16: Societies (Cont.)|
|SECTION 17: Business||SECTION 18: Manufacturing|
|SECTION 19: Manufacturing (cont.)|
20 - 46:
** Omaha Biographical Sketches **|
| ABLE~BARRIGER | BARTLETT~BOYD | BOYER~BURNHAM |
| BURR~CONKLING | COFFMAN~CREIGHTON |
| CRITTENTON~DIETZ | DINSMOOR~FAWCETT |
| FEARON~GAYLORD | GELATTE~GROSSMANN |
| GROSS~HAVENS | HAWES~HOILE |
| HOLDREDGE~JORGENSEN | JOSLYN~LEISENRING |
| LEHMAN~LOWE | LUDINGTON~MARHOFF |
| MANNING~MILLER | MILLSPAUGH~NINDEL |
| O'CONNOR~PEABODY | PAUL~READ | REDICK~ROGERS |
| ROSENBERY~SCOTT | SEAMAN~SIMPSON | SINCERE~STONE |
| STORZ~UMPHRESON | URLAU~WILBUR | WILDE~WOOD |
| WOODARD~ZEHRUNG | West Omaha Precinct | Douglas Precinct |
List of Illustrations in Douglas County Chapter
F. M. CRITTENTON, chief operator, W. U. Telegraph, was born in Ann Arbor, Mich., August 25, 1846, was educated in Marshall, Calhoun Co., Mich., September, 1861, enlisted in the First Michigan Engineers, and served until mustered out December, 1862. In 1865, he removed to Chicago, and engaged in bookkeeping, which he had learned in Eastman's Business College at Oswego, N. Y., about 1869, he commenced in his present profession, a business he has since followed. In the entire twelve years in the service of the Western Union Telegraph Co., Mr. C. has only been in three different offices. Came to Nebraska, July, 1880, settled in Omaha, and took his present position. He was married in Chicago, December 27, 1870, to Miss Agnes Kennedy, a daughter of J. M. Kennedy, formerly Superintendent of Police in Chicago. They have two children, Lillie and Jessie. Mr. C. is a member of the A., F. & A. M. and of the G. A. R. of Chicago.
LORENZO CROUNSE, U. S. Internal Revenue Collector. He was appointed in March, 1879. His jurisdiction extends over the entire State of Nebraska. He was born in Schoharie Co., N. Y., January 27, 1834, where he lived until 1864. He followed teaching school several winters to obtain the means to prosecute his studies in law. He was admitted to the bar in 1856 at Plattsburg, N. Y., He practiced at Fort Plain and made that his home. He was married in 1860 to Miss Mary E. Griffiths, who was born in New York City. He enlisted in the army as Captain of Battery K., First Regiment New York Light Artillery in September, 1861, and was wounded August, 1862, in the battle of Cedar Mountain, Va. He resigned in September 1862 and returned to his former home and resumed his profession until 1864, when he moved to Rulo, Richland Co., Neb., and there resumed practice of law. He was elected from the latter county to the Territorial Legislature in the fall of 1865, and served one term. He helped frame the first constitution of the State and advocated its adoption, before the people. In May of 1866 he was unanimously nominated for Associate Justice of the Supreme court, and was elected in June of same year. He assumed the duties of the same in March, 1867, when Nebraska was admitted as a State. He held the office the full term of six years, at the expiration of that time he was elected as Representative to Congress and took his seat in fall of 1872, held this office the full term and was re-elected and filled the second term, and held the same to the expiration of the term. He has held no public position since, until he was appointed to his present office. His residence now is sixteen miles above Omaha, at Fort Calhoun. He has three assistants in the office and two assistants outside. He has four children, named Jessie, William G., Gretchen and Marie.
GEN. GEORGE C. CROOK, was born in Wayne Township, Montgomery Co., O., September 8, 1830, and resided in Ohio until 1848. He then entered West Point, and remained there until 1852, when he graduated. He then entered service as a Brevet Second Lieutenant, stationed on the Pacific coast. Appointed to the Fourth Infantry July 1, 1852; Second Lieutenant, July 7, 1853; First Lieutenant, March 11, 1856; Captain Fourth Infantry, May 14, 1861; Colonel Thirty-sixth Ohio Volunteers, September 12, 1861; Brevet Major, May 23, 1862, for gallantry at the battle of Lewisburg. W. Va.; appointed Brigadier General of Volunteers, September 7, 1862, for gallantry at Antietam; Brevet Colonel, October 7, 1863, for gallantry at Farmington, Tenn.; Brevet Major General of Volunteers, July, 1864, for gallantry in West Virginia; appointed Major General of Volunteers, October 21, 1864; accepted same date; Brevet Brigadier General for gallantry in the West Virginia campaign; Brevet Major General, March 13, 1865 for gallantry at Fisher's Hill, Va., mustered out of the volunteer service, January 15, 1866; Major of Third Infantry, July 18, 1866; Lieutenant-Colonel Twenty Third Infantry, July 28, 1866; accepted October 6, 1866; Brigadier General U. S. A., October 29, 1873; accepted November 9, 1873. Appointed Major General commanding the Department of the Platte, April 1, 1875.
ALEXANDER CRUICKSHANK, senior partner of Cruickshank & Co., is a native of Aberdeenshire, Scotland, where he was born April 25, 1844. Served an apprenticeship in the dry goods business, in Aberdeenshire, and about 1858 became connected with W. & J. Campbell, of Glasgow, with whom he remained until 1864, in which year he emigrated to the United States, settled in New York City, and connected himself with A. T. Stewart & Co., having charge of the department devoted to Scotch embroideries. In 1868 he removed to Nebraska, settled in Omaha and established present business. He was married in Toronto, Canada, in 1867, to Miss Henrietta McKay, of Glasgow, Scotland, They have three children; Alexander Grant, James G. and Falconer George. Mr. C. is a member of the Second Presbyterian Church of Omaha, also of the Burn Club of the same city.
WILLIAM CRYDERMAN, contractor and builder, was born in Canada in 1844. Learned the trade of carpenter in Chicago, Ill., and was employed at it there seven years, and in Wisconsin for three years. He came to Nebraska in September, 1867, located in Omaha, and was employed by the U. P. R. R. Co. in bridge-building for three years. Was then mining in British Columbia and Washington Territory for two years, afterwards for eight years in Pipestone County, Minn. Engaged as a carpenter and builder. Returned to Omaha July, 1881, and entered into business as a contractor and builder, employing three men.
R. D. CURRY, saloon, Tenth street, native of Indiana, and came to Nebraska in 1867, and has been connected with barbering and saloon business since. Is present North Grand Treasurer of Colored York Masons of the State, also Treasurer of the William D. Matthews Lodge of Masons in the Blue Lodge.
ALEXANDER DAEMON, prop. of St. James Hotel, built in February, 1877. There are twenty rooms and can accommodate sixty guests. He also keeps a bar and lunch-room. They keep transient, day and week borders. Employ two clerks, one barkeeper and one runner. Average custom amounts to from $1,100 to $1,300 per month. Mr. D. was born, in Hesse-Darmstadt, Germany, November 1, 1842. Emigrated to America in 1857, settled in Cincinnati, Ohio, and lived until 1860. He enlisted in Co. G., Ninth Regt. Ohio Infantry in May, 1861. First for three months served the time, and re-enlisted for three years. He engaged in the battles of Mill Spring, Ky., Shiloh, Chattanooga, Missionary Ridge and Lookout Mountain, and many skirmishes. He was mustered out in Cincinnati, Ohio, in July, 1864. He then visited Cairo, Ill, St. Louis, Mo., where he remained nine months, and returned to Cairo, Ill., and lived two years, after which he went to Omaha, Neb., in 1869. He was married in Cairo, Ill, in 1865, to Miss Rosina Olthus. She was born in Holland. They have four children: Wilhelmina, Edward, Rosina and Anna. He is a member of the Knights of Phythias, also of the Omaha Mænnerchor.
T. H. DAILEY, bookkeeper of car and building department of U. P. R. R., was born at Tribe's Hill, Montgomery Co., N. Y., August 21, 1844. At the breaking out of our late civil war, he enlisted in Company H, Second Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, and was connected with the Army of the Potomac, and was in most of the engagements of that army from the first Bull Run battle up to that of Gettysburg. He was wounded, and taken prisoner at Gainesville, and paroled, and again wounded, and taken prisoner at Gettysburg, and recaptured, and from that confined to the hospital until his discharge in June, 1864. After close of the war clerked in a grocery store in Albany, N. Y. In 1866 and 1867 in a grocery store in Iowa. In 1867-68 he was employed on construction and train work in the C. M. & St. Paul R. R. through Iowa and Minnesota. In November, 1868, he came to Omaha, and was at once connected with the shops of the U. P. R. R. in charge of the supply department of car and building department, to which was afterward added the iron department, continuing in same up to 1873; then as timekeeper up to March, 1879, when he was made bookkeeper of the car and building department, his present position. He was a member of Board of Education for years 1877-78, member of City Council from April, 1879, to April 1882, and at present (1881-1882) President of the Council. He was married to Miss Mary A. Burke, of Iowa. They have three children, Edmond B., James P. P. and Julia A.
R. DANIELS, farmer and stock raiser and dealer in Short-horns, Cotswold sheep, Messenger horses and neat cattle, P. O. Omaha. Mr. Daniels was born in Devonshire, England, 1830, and came to this country in 1854, and was settled in Kalamazoo County, Mich. In 1866 he came to Nebraska and settled in Sarpy County. He was married to Miss Anna Isaac, who was also born in England. They have a family of three sons, Thomas, Edward and Richard. Mr. Daniels has been active in the introduction and rearing of fine-bred stock, and has taken the chief premiums in this line of industry in the State. He brought the first carload of thoroughbreds to the State, and has the reputation of raising the finest neat cattle for the Omaha market.
G. M. DARROW, manager of S. P. Morse & Co.'s Tenth street branch, was born in Albemarle County, Va., July 6, 1856. Attended the University of Virginia for a time, and then located in Washington, D. C., and from there moved to Omaha, Neb., in 1876, and engaged with S. P. Morse & Co.
EDWIN DAVIS, treasurer of the Omaha Publishing Co., was born in Oneida County, N. Y., July 17, 1836. Located in Shelbyville, Shelby Co., Ill., where he was engaged for five years in the grocery business. Came to Omaha on 4th of November, 1868, and was connected with the U. P. R. R. Co. as a car-builder for one year, then worked at the carpenter and joiner business in this city, and in 1872 leased the circulation of the Bee, becoming treasurer and director when it was formed into a stock company. The Bee has a daily circulation of 6,000, and is steadily increasing. Mr. Davis was married in September, 1874, to Elizabeth Clifton here, who was born April 27, 1848, in Vermillion County, Ill. Has one child, a son six years old. Mr. Davis is a prominent Mason, a member of Capitol Lodge No. 3, a 32° member of the Scottish Rite Northern Jurisdiction, also was Thrice Illustrious in the Council of Royal and Selected Masters. He also belonged to the Knights of Pythias, assisting in organizing Nebraska Lodge No. 1, of this city, as its first Chancellor. He is also a member of the Order of Odd Fellows, affiliating with Omaha Lodge No. 2. He is also treasurer of the Order of the Eastern Star, to which office he has been elected for three consecutive terms. Mr. Davis was formerly Master of Jackson Lodge No. 53, at Shelbyville, Ill., and High Priest of the Chapter of the same place. Mrs. Davis is connected with the Order of the Eastern Star for Past Matron and Grand Associate Conductress.
CHESTER B. DAVIS, civil engineer, came to Omaha in the spring of 1879 as engineer in charge of the U. S. River Improvement. In August, 1880, he left the Government service to assume management of the Omaha Foundry and Machine Co., he being one of the founders of the company, and is now secretary of the organization. When the water works project assumed definite shape in March, 1881, he was offered the position of chief engineer of construction and accepted. The works were built under his personal supervision. Mr. Davis was born at Troy, N. Y., October 21, 1853, and was educated at the Troy Polytechnic Institute, graduating there. He became mining engineer of the East Bank colliery at Coalburgh, W. Va., and was with that company in 1877 and 1878. In July, 1878, he was appointed U. S. Assistant Engineer in charge of river improvement at Atchison, Kan., and while holding that position also had charge of the U. S. work at Port Pleasant and New Madrid on the Mississippi River. He was married August 19, 1879, at Rochester, N. Y., to Hattie E. Harris, a native of that city. Mr. Davis is a member of the American Society of Civil Engineers.
GILMAN R. DAVIS & CO., blank books, stationery, etc., and carry a stock of about $5,000. Gilman R. Davis of above firm was born in Cincinnati, Ohio, August 24, 1854. Attended Dennison University for a time, then went to Rochester University at Rochester, N. Y. Entered Miami Medical College, graduating in 1878, and in 1879 graduated at the Homeopathic Medical College, of New York City. Engaged in the practice of medicine at Ironton, Ohio, and later at Cincinnati. In 1881 removed to Omaha, Neb. Mr. D. is a member of the Beta Theta Pi Fraternity and of the American Legion of Honor.
OSCAR F. DAVIS, land agent, was born in Onondaga County, near the village of Baldwinsville, N. Y., March 3, 1827. In 1850 he removed to Dubuque and was engaged in Government surveying in Wisconsin, Minnesota, Nebraska and Iowa. May 26, 1856, he came to Omaha, which has since been his home, and engaged in Government and general surveying and civil engineering, being City Engineer for some time. In the spring of 1867 he took charge of the Union Pacific lands. In 1868 was appointed land commissioner of the company, remaining in that position until 1878, when he resigned and in company with Webster Snyder engaged in a general land business. Mr. Davis was a member of the Territorial Legislature and was during the war of the Rebellion Provost Marshal for two years. Was married in Omaha April 22, 1863, to Sarah F. Dickinson, of Syracuse, N. Y.
JOHN DAWSON, a machinist in the U. P. R. R. shops, was born in the Parish of Pautstown, County Kilkenny, Ireland, in 1832, came to America in 1855; settled in New York, but soon after removed to Toronto, Ontario, where he remained ten years. From there he removed to Chicago, where he was employed by the C. R. & P. R. R. until 1868, when he again took up the western march, landing in Omaha, and has been in the employ of the U. P. R. R. since. In 1855 he was married to Miss Ann Brady, of the Parish of Dunderry, County Meath, Ireland. They have five children, Maggie, Kate, John, Willie and Ella.
MICHAEL DECKER, locomotive engineer, U. P. R. R., was born in Utica, N. Y., in 1850, At eighteen years of age entered the employ of the N. Y. C. R. R. Co., as fireman; was employed in that capacity until he came to Omaha, Neb., in 1873. He entered the employ of the U. P. R. R. Co. as fireman; was employed in that capacity four years, was then appointed engineer, and has filled that position since. Mr. Decker was married in Omaha December 17, 1876, to Kate Anderson, a native of Springfield, Ill.
JAMES THOMAS DeLAND, locomotive engineer, was born at Durhamville, Oneida Co., N. Y., February 10, 1850. Came to Nebraska in 1857 and resided with parents at Florence. Was engaged farming until 1871, when he went to Denver, Col. Was for six months in the employ of the Colorado Central R. R. Co. in civil engineer's corps. He came to Omaha in the spring of 1872. Was employed four and a half years as a fireman on the U. P. R. R. In October 18, was appointed locomotive engineer, and has filled that position since. Mr. DeLand was married at Florence, Neb., March 15, 1875, to Catharine Gunderson, a native of Norway. They have one daughter, Ellen E.
WILLIAM H. DeLAND, locomotive engineer U. P. R. R., was born in Durhamville, Oneida Co., N. Y., May 1, 1853. Came to Nebraska in 1857 and located with parents at Florence, Douglas County. In March, 1871, he entered the employ of the U. P. R. R. Co. as a fireman, and was engaged in that capacity for five years. November 6, 1876, he was appointed locomotive engineer, but only filled that position one week, being set back on account of precedence claimed by others. Was then employed in the machine department of the road as despatcher and in charge of the round house until 1878, when he was again appointed locomotive engineer, which position he has occupied since. Mr. DeLand was married at Omaha November 18, 1874, to Genevera Reeves. She came to Nebraska in 1858, and resided with her parents at Florence. They have two children, Claude and Harry Rollins.
FREDERICK DELLONE, contractor and builder. Born in York county, Pa, in 1838; learned trade of carpenter there and was engaged at it some four years. Then at Alton, Ill, for seven months. Came to Nebraska in 1860; located at Omaha. Commenced business as contractor in partnership with his brother Frank--style of firm, Dellone Bros.--and they continued together some twelve years, since which time Mr. Fred Dellone has been alone. Employs twenty-five to thirty men. Erected the U. P. R. R. headquarters in 1877; Creighton Block in 1874, also did the woodwork of the State Bank. Built the Herald office. In 1875, erected the U. P. Hotel at Grand Island, Neb., and 1876, another hotel for U. P. R. R., at Rock Creek, also numerous private buildings. Was elected City Councilman at large in spring of 1880. Married at Omaha, in 1867, to Jennetta Hayne, native of Illinois. They have three children: Lilian, Clara and Gertrude.
J. C. DENISE, M. D., physician and surgeon, was born in Miami Township, Montgomery Co., Ohio, December 3, 1828. He graduated from the Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia, in 1855, and located at Dayton, Ohio, residing there until August 18, 1861, when he was appointed Assistant Surgeon of the Twenty-Seventh Ohio Volunteers, and was promoted to Surgeon of the same regiment in 1863. Was mustered out at his own request in November, 1864, and, returning to Ohio, took contract as Acting Assistant Surgeon, U. S. A., and was assigned as executive officer of Tripler Hospital at Columbus, Ohio. When this hospital was discontinued in August, 1865, he was transferred to Dennison General Hospital, near Cincinnati, Ohio, where he remained until November of the same year, when he was appointed by the Governor of the Ohio as Surgeon of the Ohio State Soldier's Home, at Columbus. He remained in this position until the Home was closed in 1867, then removed to Omaha, and since the year 1868 has devoted most of his time to the practice of medicine--for the last five years giving especial attention to diseases of the eye and ear. Was appointed by President Grant as receiver of the land-office at Grand Island in 1869, and served in that capacity until 1872. He has been physician to the Nebraska Deaf and Dumb Institute since 1872. Was City and County Physician from 1868 to the winter of 1870-71. Is now United States Examining Pension Surgeon and Secretary of the Board of United States Examining Surgeons. Was one of the original organizers of the State Medical Society, and its first Corresponding Secretary. He was also one of the organizers of the Nebraska School of Medicine and subsequently of the Omaha Medical College, of which he is Secretary of the Board of Trustees, and in which he is Professor of Physiology and Clinical Lecturer on diseases of the eye and ear. Was married October 27, 1870, to Miss Mary C. Collier, a native of Steubenville, Ohio. They have three children living: Larimore C., Hettie C., Daniel L. They have lost one son, who died in infancy.
P. F. DENISON, conductor, U. P. R. R., was born in Delaware County, Iowa, March 17, 1857. Came to Nebraska with parents in May, 1861, and located in Jackson, Dakota County. Came to Omaha in 1877 and engaged with the U. P. R. R. Mr. D. is a member of the A., F & A. M., Court Lodge, No. 11.
REV. W. A. DENTON, Council Bluffs, Iowa, is a native of Kentucky. In 1854, he entered the ministry of the Christian Church in Iowa, at the age of twenty-nine, where he remained in its connection till 1857, when he came to Nebraska and located in Dakoto County, where he remained until 1859, when he removed to Desoto and conducted the ministry of his church there until 1863; then he went to Waterloo and was actively connected in the ministry there till 1874, when on account of ill health in his family he removed to Council Bluffs, where he has been identified since. In 1845 he was married to Miss Lucasse J. Logan, who was born and reared in Shelby County, Ky. They have a family of three sons and one daughter; James A., Lewis W., John W., and Pearl.
WILLIAM DEW, contractor and builder, Born in Toronto, Canada, in 1842. Learned trade of carpenter at Guelph, Canada, and was employed as a carpenter there for some years. Came to Nebraska in 1868; located in Omaha. Was employed at his trade (carpenter) for about four years; then farming one year at Washington County, Neb. Returned to Omaha in 1873, was employed as carpenter for some two years, and since then in present business, which consists principally in building private dwellings and business houses; employs some seven men. Married in Canada, in 1865, to Mary A. McConikia, native of that place. They have four children: George, William. Martin and Daisy.
M. L. DERWIN, stock dealer, Cuming street, is a native of Pennsylvania, and came to Omaha in 1862, where he has been identified with the saloon and stock-dealing business since. In 1875 he was married to Miss Silva Lawton. They have a family of one son, George, and one daughter, Ada Ama Zoe.
JOHN B. DETWILER, wholesale and retail dealer in carpets, oil-cloths, window-shades, mats, rugs, etc., was born in what is now Collegeville, Montgomery Co., Pa., October 20, 1845. He spent most of his early life after twelve years of age in West Virginia, and went from Wheeling to Iowa. Was married in Wheeling September 16, 1866, to Matilda A. Zimmer, a native of that place. They have three children, Augustus K., Carrie and Gracie. Mr. D. removed to Omaha in the fall of 1866, and engaged in the mercantile business, commencing his present business in 1868. He owns and runs a farm in Dodge County near Fremont, and has been a member of the Board of Education in Omaha.
HARRY DEUEL, ticket agent of Iowa lines, is a native of New York State, and was born in Clarkson, Monroe County, December 11, 1836. He came with his parents when quite a child to Farmington, Ill., and spent his early life on a farm and attending school. He came to Omaha in 1859, and first engaged in the forwarding, commission, and steamboat agency of John R. Porter, and remained with him until the completion of the K. C. & St. Joe, and Hannibal & St. Joe R. R.'s and was agent of those roads upon the completion of the B. & M. R. R., now the C. B. & Q. R. R. Was also its ticket agent. Upon the consolidation of the Iowa lines he was made general ticket agent, his present position. He is a member of Covert Lodge No. 11, A., F. & A. M. Past Master and Past High Priest of Royal Arch Chapter. Past Em. Commander of Mt. Calvary Commandery. Past Grand Master of State. First Grand High Priest of State. First Grand Commander of State. Honorary 33d Degree of the Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite. Married Miss F. J. Miller, of Tiskilwa, Ill., January 6, 1858. They have one child living, Charles L., and one dead, Blanche.
C. H. DEWEY, of the firm of Dewey & Stone, furniture dealers, was born in Kennebec County, Me. When one year old he removed to Ohio, and was reared in that State. In 1849 he removed to California, and subsequently lived in Iowa and Colorado. Located in Omaha in 1865, and engaged in the furniture business. Two years later E. L. Stone became associated with firm, and the business has since been conducted under the name of Dewey & Stone.
J. J. DICKEY, superintendent of telegraph department of U. P. R. R., and also of Western Union Telegraph Co., is the son of Hon. T. Lyle Dickey and Juliet E. Dickey, of Chicago, Ill., and was born at Rushville, Ill., April 11, 1839. At the age of sixteen he went to Missouri and taught school one winter, and the following winter taught also in Iowa. In the winter of 1857 he attended a course in Bell's Commercial College in Chicago, and in the years 1858-59-60 was engaged as a bookkeeper in Michigan and Wisconsin. He returned to Illinois in 1860, and in 1861 was married to Miss Carrie A. Honey, of Two Rivers, Wis. During the interval between the years 1860-61, he learned telegraphing in the private office of Judge John D. Caton, in Ottawa, Ill., and for five years was employed as general bookkeeper for the Illinois & Mississippi Telegraph Co. at Ottawa when the lines were leased to the Western Union Telegraph Co. He was transferred to the office of the superintendent of that company at Chicago, as chief clerk during the winters of 1866-67, remaining until August, 1869, when he was appointed to his present position to the U. P. R. R. at Omaha. He is largely interested in the development of the telegraph system of the West, and is at present President of the Omaha Telephone Co., Lincoln Telephone Co., the Utah, Montana and Ogden Telephone Co's and is also director in the Nebraska City, Marshalltown, Iowa, and Sioux City, Iowa, Telephone Co's. His wife died March 12, 1880, leaving three children, William Lyle, Lizzie Belle, and Arthur M.
GEORGE W. DICKINSON, train dispatcher, U. P. R. R., was born in Cleveland, Ohio, April 21, 1853. Was educated in the city and learned telegraphing there and in Chicago, where he moved in 1865, remaining about one year; then returned to Cleveland. Came to Nebraska in 1872, locating in Omaha, and engaged in telegraphing. Has been train despatcher since 1874. He was married in Omaha, February 22, 1879, to Miss Ella Cole, of Cleveland, Ohio. They have one child, George Edward.
EDWARD DIEDRICH, proprietor North Omaha Drug Store. Business established by Mr. D. in 1878. Stock about $2,500. The yearly sales amount to $6,000. Mr. Diedrich was born in Hesse-Cassel, Germany, June 17, 1847. Came to the United States in 1862, locating in New York City. Engaged in clerking some years, then opened a drug store, in which he continued about three years. After visiting Europe and different points in the United States, he removed to Omaha, Neb., in 1877. Is now studying medicine with the intention of adopting that profession. He was married in New York City to Miss Annie Feucht, a native of Germany, Mrs. D. died in Omaha, February 22, 1881, leaving two children, Joseph and Edward. Mr. D. is a member of the A., F. & A. M., I. O. O. F., also of the Omaha Medical College.
C. N. DIETZ, proprietor of the St. Paul's Lumber Yard, does a wholesale and retail lumber business. He located here in April, 1881, and started his yards in June of the same year. He has handled over 6,000,000 feet of lumber the past six months, and carries a stock of over 2,000,000 feet. Now he deals extensively in sash, doors, blinds and lime, and sells Omaha paints. The lime trade is very large. His trade is chiefly in Nebraska.