|SECTION 1: The Early Days||SECTION 2: More Early Days|
|SECTION 3: Omaha in 1870||SECTION 4: Present Day (1882)|
|SECTION 5: Crimes||SECTION 6: Fires and Public Works|
|SECTION 7: Health, Parks, Mail||SECTION 8: The Press in Omaha|
|SECTION 9: Press Continued||SECTION 10: Religious|
|SECTION 11: Religious (cont.)||SECTION 12: Cemetery and Schools|
|SECTION 13: Legal and Medical||SECTION 14: Opera House-Hotels-Business|
|SECTION 15: Societies||SECTION 16: Societies (Cont.)|
|SECTION 17: Business||SECTION 18: Manufacturing|
|SECTION 19: Manufacturing (cont.)|
20 - 46:
** Omaha Biographical Sketches **|
| ABLE~BARRIGER | BARTLETT~BOYD | BOYER~BURNHAM |
| BURR~CONKLING | COFFMAN~CREIGHTON |
| CRITTENTON~DIETZ | DINSMOOR~FAWCETT |
| FEARON~GAYLORD | GELATTE~GROSSMANN |
| GROSS~HAVENS | HAWES~HOILE |
| HOLDREDGE~JORGENSEN | JOSLYN~LEISENRING |
| LEHMAN~LOWE | LUDINGTON~MARHOFF |
| MANNING~MILLER | MILLSPAUGH~NINDEL |
| O'CONNOR~PEABODY | PAUL~READ | REDICK~ROGERS |
| ROSENBERY~SCOTT | SEAMAN~SIMPSON | SINCERE~STONE |
| STORZ~UMPHRESON | URLAU~WILBUR | WILDE~WOOD |
| WOODARD~ZEHRUNG | West Omaha Precinct | Douglas Precinct |
List of Illustrations in Douglas County Chapter
[W. T. SEAMAN'S WHOLESALE AND RETAIL PAPER AND STATIONERY HOUSE.]
W. T. SEAMAN, dealer in staple stationery, books, course and fine paper, etc. Is a native of New York City, and resided there until he removed to Omaha in February, 1868, and engaged in his present business, having had two years' experience in the business previous to his locating here. He, in 1878 opened a store with a $20,000 stock of goods in Council Bluffs, and in 1880 turned it over to his brother. He carries at present a $70,000 stock of goods in Omaha.
JOHN S. SEATON, merchant, was born September 12, 1823 at Union Town, Pa., and located here in 1855, coming from Baltimore, where he was engaged in the dry goods business for about thirteen years. He was one of the company of the firm of Slingluff, Devries & Co., wholesale dry goods merchants. In August, 1855, came to Bellevue, Nebraska and engaged in the saw mill business for about six months. Then opened up a store there of general merchandise, and after two years sold the business and went to farming in Sarpy County, until the war broke out, he then enlisted as a private in the summer of 1861 in the First Regiment of Nebraska Volunteers under Col. Thayer and Lieut. Col. Downs. Was in the battles of Fort Donelson, Shiloh, Corinth and several skirmishes, and in 1864 was ordered by the War Department to the plains, and was stage guard for Benjamin Holliday's mail, and was engaged in many battles with the Indians, and was mustered out of service July 1, 1868. Then went into abstracting titles of land for the Western Land Company for a short time, and in the fall of 1866 was appointed trader for the Omaha Indians, and in February, 1869 sold out, and in 1873 was appointed land agent by the Union Pacific Railroad Company, was agent for about six years. He then went into the grocery business. Married November 26, 1846 to Mary E. Rowles in Baltimore, who was born there. They have five children, Lizzie Ella now married, Charles, John H., Allen and Nora. He is a member of Masonic Order, Adherence Lodge No. 88, Baltimore, as Royal Arch. Also Member of I. O. O. F., And K. of P.
GEORGE L. SEYBOLT, Post Office Inspector, was born on a farm in Orange County, N. Y., April 21, 1835. He received his preliminary education in his native county and finished his studies at the State Normal School, at Albany, N. Y. He was engaged in teaching school and clerking in a drug store in New York City until 1857, when he removed to Nebraska, settled in Cass County, and engaged in the lumber business, afterward in farming, teaching school in the winters. In the session of 1859 and 1860 was elected Chief Clerk in the Legislature. In the spring he engaged in clerking and freighting to Denver Colo. In the sessions of 1860 and 1861 he was again elected Chief Clerk of the Legislature. After adjournment he returned to Denver where he had left his teams in the interior, and engaged in freighting between Denver and Montana. In the fall of 1864 he went to California and made purchase of stock which he drove to Montana. In the fall of 1865 he returned to Nebraska, and the next year he was engaged in operating a saw mill. In the fall of 1867 he was elected a member of the Legislature from Cass County. In 1868 he received an appointment in the Surveyor General's office under Dr. Livingston, continuing in this position until the fall of 1869, where he received an appointment as post clerk on the U. P. R. R. On January 1, 1874, was commissioned special agent of the Post Office Department, the title of the office being changed in 1880 to Post Office Inspector, the duties remaining the same. During a portion of his term his headquarters have been at Chicago, Omaha, and Portland, Oregon. He was married in Cass County, Neb., in April, 1864 to Miss Berger, of that country. They have four children--Fanny, George, Frederick, and Nellie.
REV. JOHN W. SHANK, Pastor of Eighteenth Street Methodist Episcopal Church, came to Nebraska in 1878, located at Seward and had charge of Methodist Episcopal Church for one year; then had charge of Methodist Episcopal Church at Fremont, Neb., for two years. He came to Omaha in September, 1881, and entered upon present duties. He was born in New York January 20, 1842, and was educated at the Garrett Biblical Institute, Evanston, Ill. He graduated there in 1865. Was ordained in 1865 at Aurora, Ill., by Bishop Thompson. Was two years missionary to South America. Returned in ill health in 1867 and was unfit for active duty for some time. Then had charge of the Methodist Episcopal Church at Monticello, Minn., for a year, and at Minneapolis, Minn., for a year, when he again became superannuated on account of ill health. Afterward transferred to Troy Conference, and for seven years served various charges in the State of New York and Vermont. He was married at Cape May, N. J., October 27, 1867, to Susan C. Brooks, a native of that place. They have four children--William W., Edmund S., John W., jr., and G. Adolphus.
BERNARD SHANNON, saloon, Southwest corner Capitol avenue and Tenth street, Omaha. He was born in Ireland 1833, and came to America in 1851 and settled in Philadelphia. In 1861 he enlisted in the services of his adopted country and raised Companies I and F, Twenty-fourth Pennsylvania, and took the lieutenancy of Company I, and remained in the service till 1864, when he was mustered out and honorably discharged. After his war services he turned his attention to the liquor business which he followed in Philadelphia till 1870 and when he came here and subsequently engaged at that business, and which he has successfully followed since. In September, 1861, he was married to Miss Alice Welch, who was born in Ireland in 1836. They have a family of two sons and two daughters. They are Margaret, John J., Mary and Bernard C. The two oldest were born in Philadelphia, and the others in Omaha. Mr. Shannon has been active in the political life of the Democratic party here, who have twice honored him with a seat in the City Council, in which he has served for four years.
W. A. SHARP, of the Omaha Omnibus and Carriage Line. Firm composed of M. W. Kennard and W. A. Sharp. Present firm organized in 1881. They run six 'busses, six carriages, and three baggage wagons. W. A. Sharp was born in Bedford County, Va., June 13, 1832. He moved with his parents about 1842 to Montgomery County, Mo. In 1850 he went to California, where for three years he was engaged in mining, then returned to Missouri and engaged in the stock business. About 1863 he moved to St. Louis, Mo., where he was engaged in the same business. In 1874 he moved to Nebraska, leaving his family in Omaha. He personally established a stock business in Ogalalla, Custer County. Mr. Sharp still has large cattle interests in these counties. He was married in Montgomery County, Mo., September 18, 1854, to Miss Mary L. Whiteside, of that county. They have eight children--Judith, Mattie, Ida, Ninnie, Georgie, Harry, Beula and Jack. Mr. Sharp is a Royal Arch Mason of Missouri.
OSCAR B. SHARPLESS, freight conductor on the U. P. R. R. He was born in Northumberland County, Pa., July 25, 1839. At twenty one years of age he entered the employ of the D. L. R. R. at Scranton, Pa., and was engaged on year as brakeman and baggagemaster. In 1861 he enlisted in the Ninety-third Pennsylvania Infantry as a private, serving in all four years and four months. He was promoted to First Lieutenant, and April 2, 1865, was brevetted Captain for gallant and meritorious service at the assault before Petersburg, Va. He came to Nebraska in May, 1867, located at Omaha and entered the employ of the U. P. R. R., was a brakeman for nine months, afterwards conductor of freight trains and yardmaster on the end of the track during the building of the road through to Utah. He returned to Omaha in November, 1869 and was then conductor of freight and passenger trains for three and a half years at that point, after which he visited California for six months, then re-entered the employ of the U. P. R. R. in December, 1873, and conducted from Cheyenne, W. T., for seven years. He returned to Omaha in November, 1880, and has been engaged in his present capacity since. He was married at Cheyenne, W. T., April 4, 1880, to Eugenia Armbruster, a native of Ohio. They have one daughter--Vera.
JOHN R. SHAW, of Shaw & Field, contractor and builders, came to Nebraska in February, 1881, and located in Omaha. He and Mr. John Field came together to this State to erect Boyd's Opera House, which they have just finished. They have also been employed erecting several business and private buildings. They employ some thirty men. He was born in Kentucky in 1849 and learned his trade of a carpenter there and was employed at it some twelve years. He went to St. Louis, Mo., in 1879 and entered into partnership with John Field in their present business. They remained there about six months, and were then engaged in building an opera house in Indianapolis, Ind., up to November 1, 1880. Then at St. Louis, Mo., until they came west.
JOHN SHEAHAN, foreman of helpers in the foundry of the U. P. R. R. Co. He was born May 23, 1855, in County Kerry, Ireland. He located here in October 1867, from Greensburg, Decatur Co., Ind. In 1869 and 1870 was farming and acted as foreman on John Kelly's farm in this county. In 1871 and 1872 was engaged by the O. & N. W. R. R. Co. to do work on their section. On April 3, 1873, he was engaged by the U. P. R. R. Co. as laborer in the foundry and after three years was made foreman of helpers. Then on the 17th of April, 1877, he left the company and went to Deadwood, mining, and remained there a short time. He then returned here and engaged with the U. P. R. R. Co. again as foreman. He was married September 22, 1881 in Douglas County, Neb., to Ellen Bagley, who was born in April, 1856. He belongs to the Union Pacific Fire Department, Durant engine No. 1 as first assistant.
SAMUEL SHEARS, proprietor of the Millard Hotel, was born in Rochester, N. Y., in 1828, and began the hotel business there with his father. He conducted the Clifton House, at Clifton, Niagara Falls, for twenty-two seasons, and also has had large experience in different hotels elsewhere, during the winter months. In 1872 he opened the Boody House, at Toledo, Ohio, and ran it for two years. In 1874 he joined the firm of A. C. Joslyn & Co., of the Burnett House, Cincinnati, Ohio, and continued with that firm until he moved to New York City, and was engaged as caterer, for hotels, until he came to Omaha, Neb., in April, 1881, and organized the company to build the Millard Hotel, and has had the management of it since it was finished. The Millard Hotel is owned by the Hotel Association of Omaha, incorporated May 9, 1881, with a capital stock of $100,000 all paid up. The stockholders are Samuel Shears, J. E. Markel, Thomas Swobe, Ezra Millard, J. H. Millard and George Giominni. The cost of the hotel building and lot is about $175,000 and the hotel is furnished by Messrs. Shears, Markel and Swobe. These gentlemen also run the Union Pacific Hotel at the transfer at Council Bluffs, Iowa, and the eating house at the Union Pacific R. R. depot at Omaha.
JOHN P. SHELBY, Clerk in the Quartermaster Department for the Government at Omaha, Neb. Mr. Shelby first settled in Omaha in 1877, but only remained a short time and returned to Ohio, where he lived until 1878, and then returned to Omaha and engaged as clerk in the employ of the U. P. R. R. Co., until the fall of 1880, when he went into the employ of the Government. He was born in Painesville, Ohio, June 18, 1859. He entered the Cincinnati, Ohio, St. Mary's College in 1873, where he remained four years, and graduated in the preparatory or business course. He was married in Omaha, February 7, 1881, to Miss Mary B. Creighton, who was born in Omaha.
P. P. SHELBY was born in Painesville, Lake Co., Ohio, June, 9, 1845. He lived upon a farm until 1861, engaged during the summer in the duties that devolve upon farmers' boys and attended school winters. At the breaking out of the late civil war, in 1861, Mr. Shelby enlisted in Company F, Twenty-ninth Regiment, Ohio Volunteer Infantry, in which he served until toward the close of the war, participating in many of the most important battles of the conflict. In the spring of 1866, he came to Nebraska and was engaged upon the construction of the U. P. R. R. immediately west of Fremont. On October 1, 1871, he was appointed to the position of local freight agent of the road at Omaha, having successfully discharged the duties of several subordinate offices during the years preceding the above appointment. He was raised to the position of Division Superintendent of the same road, March 27, 1872. Mr. Shelby was married to Miss Hannah O'Conner, of Council Bluffs, Iowa, July 3, 1873. Mrs. Shelby died May 2, 1879, leaving four children--Charles F., Paul M., Rose M. and Mary F. Mr. Shelby was a member of the Omaha Board of Education in 1873, and represented Douglas County in the State Legislature during the season of 1877 and 1878. On the 1st of July, 1878, Mr. Shelby was promoted to the position of assistant general freight agent of the U. P. R. R., the duties of which office he is discharging at this writing.
J. F. SHEELY, of the firm of J. F. Sheely & Co., pork packers, Omaha Stock Yards, is a native of Wurtemberg, Germany. In about 1842 came with his parents to Pottsville, Pa. There he ran a stationary engine and did other work till 1850, when he removed to New York, where he remained three years; thence to Delaware, where he joined his brother in the meat business; continued three years. November 1856, he came to Nebraska, where he has since resided. He at once bought out Joseph Reese in the meat business, and continued the business ten years. He then sold out this business and ran a steamboat two seasons. He then discontinued boating, and resumed the meat business, which he continued till August 15, 1881, when he sold out his retail business and bought out this packing house, formerly owned by D. Cook, January 15, 1880. They have been killing annually about 15,000 hogs, 1,200 head of cattle, 5,000 sheep, and employ about fifteen hands. Mr. Sheely mainly organized the fire department, and was Chief Engineer three and one-half years; has been a member of the Council; is a member of the I. O. O. F., and K. of H. Married in 1857 to Deborah Jones, of Salem, N. J.; they have two children, Lillie and Nellie.
[Portrait of N. Shelton]
NATHAN SHELTON came to Omaha March 20, 1868. He was assistant cashier and cashier of the U. P. R. R. until October, 1880, when he resigned and devoted his time to his private business. He organized the Omaha White Lead Works, and was secretary and treasurer of that company until June, 1881. He organized the Omaha Library Association, and managed it until it was turned over to the city. Mr. Shelton formed the City Water Works Company, of which he is treasurer. He gives his attention to investments in real estate, bonds, etc. He was born at Jamaica, L. I. October 12, 1846, and prior to coming to Omaha was in a bank in New York City. He was married at Grand Island, Neb., June 4, 1872, to Maria D. Jordan, a native of Chillicothe, Ohio, and a daughter of Robert C. Jordan. They have one son, Nathan Jordan. He is a member of the A., F. & A. M.
EDWIN H. SHERWOOD, dealer in real estate and proprietor of a stock farm of 320 acres located in town of Irvington. He makes farming his principal business, and owns the best grades of stock. He settled in Omaha in March, 1868. Was born in Southport, Fairfield Co., Conn., March 3, 1842. He entered the Andover College, Massachusetts, at the age of fifteen, and graduated when he was eighteen years of age. He soon after went to Europe on one of his father's vessels. His father Edwin Sherwood, was a large vessel owner. He returned from Europe and went to San Francisco, Cal., in 1861, where he engaged in the shipping and commission business, and remained till the spring of 1867, then returned to his native State and remained till he went to Omaha. He was married in Connecticut at home, January, 1868, to Miss Emma Rumsey, who is a native of Rochelle, N. Y. They have five children, whose names are Edwin E., Mary A., Nettie, Emma and Charles L. Mr. S. was County Commissioner from 1870 to 1873 inclusive.
CHARLES SHIVERICK, wholesale and retail furniture dealer, came to Omaha in April, 1871, commencing his present business at that time. He manufactures to some extent, and deals extensively in wholesaling, employing about a dozen hands. The business has of late materially increased, and he has recently doubled his store capacity, ranking the largest warehouse of the kind in Nebraska. The main salesroom comprises 8,000 square feet of surface. His stock is principally of the better grade, and from the best factories. His sales extend over Nebraska, Western Iowa, Wyoming, Utah and Idaho. Mr. S. is a native of Cape Cod, Mass.; moved to Chicago in 1864, and became secretary of the Thayer & Tobey Furniture Company. He was married at Omaha in February, 1876 to Miss Ella Crary. They have three children, Asa, Anna and Charles. Mr. Shiverick is an A., F. & A. M., and a member of the Capitol Lodge.
GEORGE W. SHIELDS, attorney, came to Omaha first in 1861. A month later he went to Utah, and remained there and in Wyoming until 1867, when he returned to Omaha. He read law with Gen. J. C. Cowin, and was admitted to the bar in June, 1876, since which time he has been in practice here. He was born in Paisley, Scotland, May 30, 1854, and came to America in 1861. He is a son of James and Jennie Shields, now residents of Omaha. G. W. was married at Omaha, April 15, 1880, to Eva M. Beard, a native of Salem, Iowa. They have one child, Robert J. Mr. Shields is a member of the Harmonic Society, Burns Club, and other social organizations. He is a notary public.
WILLIAM H. SHIELDS, passenger conductor of the U. P. R. R., was born in Pennsylvania in 1846. He learned the trade of saddler, serving four years; was then employed as a journeyman saddler for two years. In 1865 went to Denver, Colo; was engaged in teaming between Denver and North Platte in company with Henry Devoe until the fall of 1866, when they had all their stock stolen by the Indians. Mr. Shields then entered the employ of the U. P. R. R. in the construction department, working between North Platte and Cheyenne for one year; was then engaged conducting a freight train until 1870, when he was appointed passenger conductor. Mr. Shields resided in Wyoming Territory from July, 1867, until he came to Omaha, Neb. in 1876. He still occupies the position of passenger conductor. He was married in Cheyenne, Wyoming Territory, August 21, 1870, to Permelia Stanley, a native of Adrian, Mich. They have two children, Arthur and Edith.
REV. M. F. SHINN, came as a Methodist minister to the State of Iowa, in 1838. Came to Council Bluffs in 1850. He came to Omaha, Neb., in the winter of 1853 and took dinner with Mr. A. D. Jones, at Park Wild. He was born in Hillsboro, Highland Co., Ohio, January 3, 1809, and lived with his parents until he was fifteen years of age, when he went to Maysville, Ky., also at Washington, Ky., and engaged in tailoring three years. Then he went to Cincinnati and followed tailoring until 1828. He went to Augusta, Ky., then up the Kauawha River to its head, then located at the falls of the latter river, and soon became universally acquainted with the pioneers of that country. By accident he was one day called to see a sick person, whom he treated with such skill and success, that his reputation soon spread far and near. He soon had other professional calls, and his reputation as a doctor soon spread, and he there practiced with success until the winter of 1829. He then went to Jackson, Ohio, and there was married to Sarah H. Holcomb; from there he moved to Greenfield, Ohio, where he continued practicing and tailoring, and there himself and wife experienced religion in 1830. He at once assisted in church matters, obtained a library, etc., also soon obtained a license to exhort, and he preached with success until 1838, when they removed to Burlington, Ia., where he sought to invest some money in real estate, also was local preacher a short time. He soon ascended the Des Moines River, and preached in various places, and the following fall he was received into the Rock River Conference, and obtained his first appointment to Fairfield, Iowa. His wife died in August, 1839, in Van Buren County, Iowa. He continued preaching at Fairfield, Iowa, with great success. He then went to Mount Pleasant, Iowa, where he was the means of converting 600 people to the church and Christ. From there he went to Birmingham, Van Buren Co., and preached two years, which was the happiest years of his life. He was there married to Nancy Moffett, a native of Kentucky. He moved to Keokuk, Iowa, and preached one year. Then to Oskaloosa, Iowa, and preached one year, and from there he went to Philadelphia, Iowa, and preached one year. Returned to Keokuk, and built the first Methodist Church in that city. He preached there one year. Then went to Keosauqua, and preached there and in that vicinity one year. From there he went to West Point, Iowa, and preached one year. Then to New London, and preached two years with great success. Then went to Council Bluffs, being in 1850 or '51, and began preaching, his labors extending over the vast field in all points of the compass. He also distributed $1,000 worth of Sunday-school books and other literature, paying for the same from his own purse. He also built the first church in the latter city, which cost about $1,200, and it was paid for in full before it was occupied, paying $1,000 out of his own purse. He stimulated the citizens at Fremont, Neb., to build a church, by starting a subscription of $500, and loaning them $1,000. and by his efforts at the completion and dedication of the same, it was fully paid for. He has been the means of the erection of churches in several places in Nebraska. He has one son living twenty-eight miles west of Omaha, on the Union Pacific Railroad, whose name is Stephen D. Shinn, who is now married.
ADOLPH SIEFKEN, manufacturer of cigar boxes. No. 1408 Davenport street, Omaha. He was born in Odenburgh, Germany, in 1847. He was married in 1866, to Paulina Feckenscher, and came to America the same year. He learned the trade of carpenter, which he followed for three years. He came to Omaha in 1870, and established his present business in 1871, which he has since followed, using 100,000 feet of lumber per year, and employing six men in the manufacture of boxes. Studied farming in Germany.
HENRY SIERT, proprietor of a saloon, 1414 Farnam street, also furnishes meals for farmers, and keeps a feed and boarding stable, he began business in October 4, 1875. He can keep forty horses in his feed stables, and can accommodate twenty guests at his farmers' hotel. Has eight rooms in his hotel and saloon. He first settled in Omaha, March 13, 1867, and worked at various occupations up to 1875. Farmed in 1868, '69 and '70. He then moved to Plattsmouth, Cass Co., Neb., and kept a boarding house and saloon eighteen months. Then kept a railroad boarding house on the Burlington & Missouri Railroad, from Lincoln to Fort Kearney. He was foreman on the railroad grade seven months, then moved to Sheridan and Garden Grove, Iowa, as foreman on railroad grade, also kept a boarding house. Was there about three months, after which he went to Council Bluffs, Iowa, and fired for a steam shovel some time. Then to Omaha, in same business eighteen months, afterwards was fireman on the Union Pacific Railroad three months. Then worked in a lumber yard three months; afterwards in the smelting works about two years, running smelter No. 3; after which he visited his native country, Germany, six months, when he settled up his fathers' estate, Mr. John Siert. He then returned to Omaha, and bought his present place. He was born in the former country, August 2, 1842, emigrated to America in 1866. He was married in Omaha, Neb. October 13, 1867, to Miss Margaret Kounagel. She was born in Germany. They have three children, J. Henry, Mary and Anna. Mr. S. is a member of the Knights of Pythias, Lodge No. 4.
RICHARD SIEMON, proprietor Saratoga Brewery, head of Sherman avenue, opposite fair grounds, Omaha.
JULIUS W. SIEVERLING, veterinary surgeon, settled in Omaha in 1873 and began the above practice. He was born in Germany, November 8, 1840. He was eighteen years of age when he entered the Veterinary College in Hanover, Germany. He was there three years and graduated from the same, receiving a diploma. He then practiced his profession in the German army three years. Emigrated to America in 1865 and located in St. Louis, Mo., and practiced until 1873 at which time he settled in Omaha and began practice. He is veterinary inspector for the Western Horse and Cattle Insurance Company, of Omaha, Neb. He was married in St. Louis, Mo., in 1870 to Miss Elenora Baare, who is a native of Augusta, Mo. They have five children, named Julius D., Irwin R., Ella Fred W., and Louise.
WILLIAM SIEVERS, a member of the firm of Henry Bolin & Co., was born in Hanover, Germany, February 18, 1850. He came to the United States in 1869, locating in New York City, where he was engaged in clerking, with Lord & Taylor, dry goods, a line of business he followed in Germany. In 1871 he removed to Nebraska, locating in Omaha, remaining a short time only. He then went to St. Louis and engaged in clerking. Returned to Omaha, and in 1874 entered the firm of Henry Bolin & Co. He was married in Omaha, November 28, 1879, to Dora Mohr. She was born in Schleswig-Holstein, Germany. They have one child, Charles H., born November 21, 1880. Mr. S. Is a member of the Concordia Society.
EDWARD W. SIMERAL, attorney, came to Nebraska in March, 1870. He was with the Omaha Bee until 1874 as book keeper. He read law with Strickland & Webster and was admitted to practice in the fall of 1875. From 1876 to 1879 he was in partnership with James O. Adams, now of Washington, D. C., and since that time he has been alone. He was born in Steubenville, Jefferson Co., Ohio, May 9, 1853, and moved from there to Dubuque, Iowa, where his father engaged in the land business up to the breaking out of the war. Mr. Simeral has been preeminently identified with the anti-monopoly movement in Nebraska. He was attorney in the celebrated Indian citizenship case which was decided in his favor. He was also attorney in the Holly Water Works case and has defended Mr. Rosewater, editor of the Bee, in several libel suits.
CHARLES P. SIMMONDS, contractor and builder, was born in England in 1849. Came to America when quite young, leaned trade of carpenter at Newark, N. J. Served four years as an apprentice, then was for two years employed as a journeyman carpenter at the same place. Came to Nebraska in 1873. Located in Omaha and was employed as a journeyman carpenter for six years by Wm. Clegg. In December, 1879, commenced business as a contractor and builder in company with James Tyler. They continued business together for six months. Since then Mr. Simmonds has been alone. He has principally been engaged in erecting business and private buildings. Employs twelve men.
E. SIMON, dry goods, fancy goods, notions. In business saloon about four years. Succeeded Gladstone & Co. Mr. S. was born in Hungary, Austria, September, 25, 1840. Came to United States in 1860. Located in Cleveland, Ohio, then went to Toledo, Ohio, where he engaged in business. After spending a short time in Hamilton, he finally settled in Zanesville, Ohio, where he engaged in business under firm name for E. Simon & Co., Remained here about four years and then, in 1868, moved to Nebraska, locating in Omaha and engaged in firm of Gladstone & Co. He was married in Fremont, Ohio. October 18, 1865, to Miss Fanny Gladstone. Mr. S. is a member of the K. S. B., the Congregation of Israel, the Hebrew Benevolent Society, and the Hungarian Benevolent Society, of Cleveland, Ohio.
A. J. SIMPSON, carriage manufacturer, came to Omaha from California in the year 1858. His early youth and school years were passed in Cincinnati, Ohio, at the old Woodward High School. While a resident of California he was engaged in the Southern Mines from 1852 to 1855, after which he went to Sacramento and formed a partnership with Mr. C. H. Dewey in the carriage business. When he removed to Omaha he engaged in the business of carriage making and has continued up to the present time when he now employs some forty experienced hands in the various departments from which is turned out nothing but first class work and now representing the largest carriage manufactory in the Northwest. He was one of the organizers of the Pioneer Hook and Ladder Company and its second foreman, and the first chief of the fire department. In the organization of the Omaha National Bank he was one of the charter members and has continued to be one of the directors from its inception.
D. L. SIMPSON, foreman tool room U. P. R. R., was born in Thompsonville, Conn., November 23, 1836. At the age of nineteen commenced an apprenticeship at machine work in Cott's Armory, Hartford, Conn. Worked for seven years. Then worked in Hamilton, Ohio, in gun works of Camel & Gwinn, then in shops of Pennsylvania Central R. R., at Pittsburgh, then industrial works of Bennett & Sons for two years--one to Burnside Locomotive Works in Providence. In 1867 came to Omaha and after a trip to Colorado commenced as journeyman in shops of U. P. R. R. Then was sent to North Platte to get up tools for new shops there and from there to Rawlins and Wahsatch, following the road as it was built. In 1870, returned to Omaha and worked as journeyman in tool department of the U. P. R. R. and in 1871 was promoted to present position. Is a member of Capital Lodge A., F. & A. M. Married Miss Kate Sharpe, of Philadelphia, January 17, 1870. They have one child, Ella L.