|SECTION 1: The Early Days||SECTION 2: More Early Days|
|SECTION 3: Omaha in 1870||SECTION 4: Present Day (1882)|
|SECTION 5: Crimes||SECTION 6: Fires and Public Works|
|SECTION 7: Health, Parks, Mail||SECTION 8: The Press in Omaha|
|SECTION 9: Press Continued||SECTION 10: Religious|
|SECTION 11: Religious (cont.)||SECTION 12: Cemetery and Schools|
|SECTION 13: Legal and Medical||SECTION 14: Opera House-Hotels-Business|
|SECTION 15: Societies||SECTION 16: Societies (Cont.)|
|SECTION 17: Business||SECTION 18: Manufacturing|
|SECTION 19: Manufacturing (cont.)|
20 - 46:
** Omaha Biographical Sketches **|
| ABLE~BARRIGER | BARTLETT~BOYD | BOYER~BURNHAM |
| BURR~CONKLING | COFFMAN~CREIGHTON |
| CRITTENTON~DIETZ | DINSMOOR~FAWCETT |
| FEARON~GAYLORD | GELATTE~GROSSMANN |
| GROSS~HAVENS | HAWES~HOILE |
| HOLDREDGE~JORGENSEN | JOSLYN~LEISENRING |
| LEHMAN~LOWE | LUDINGTON~MARHOFF |
| MANNING~MILLER | MILLSPAUGH~NINDEL |
| O'CONNOR~PEABODY | PAUL~READ | REDICK~ROGERS |
| ROSENBERY~SCOTT | SEAMAN~SIMPSON | SINCERE~STONE |
| STORZ~UMPHRESON | URLAU~WILBUR | WILDE~WOOD |
| WOODARD~ZEHRUNG | West Omaha Precinct | Douglas Precinct |
List of Illustrations in Douglas County Chapter
ALBERT ABLE, locomotive engineer, U. P. R. R., was born in Denmark in 1853 came to America in 1866, located in Springfield, Ill., and was employed in stone cutting for some eighteen months; then engaged as clerk in drug business in Madison, Wis., until he came to Omaha, Neb, in 1869. He was engaged two years as clerk in mercantile business. In 1871, entered the employ of the U. P. R. R. Co. as a switchman, was engaged in that capacity some six months, was then employed as a fireman until 1877, during which time he also served as brakeman for a few months; since 1877 he has been engaged in the capacity of locomotive engineer. Mr. Able was married at Omaha, April 18, 1876, to Daphne Critschfield, a native of Nebraska.
CHARLES ABNEY, engineer; residence, corner Fourth and Pacific sts.; was born in Greene Co. Ill., in 1832, but lived during the greater part of his youth in Quincy, Ill. In 1849 he learned his trade on the steamer Anthony Wayne, then running on the Mississippi River, running on various steamers until 1870, when he was employed as engineer of the Missouri River Bridge Co.'s boat Matamora, where he was employed until 1872, when he obtained his present situation of engineer of Willow Springs Distillery, Omaha. He was married in 1858, to Miss Emily Harris; they have three children--William, Elizabeth A., and James C.
C. G. AHLQUEST, tailor, was born in Sweden in 1822, coming to America in 1866, and settled in Omaha and worked at his trade with different merchant tailors until 1872, when he emigrated to Dakota where he remained two years, coming back to Omaha in 1874, remaining in Omaha since; is one of the best coat makers to the West, and his services are in good demand. Was married, in 1847, to Miss Johanna Caroline Hoe; six children--Hilda C., Charles O., Gustave W., Joseph T., Albert A., and Jennie.
W. B. ALEXANDER, bookkeeper with Dewey & Stone, Omaha, was born and reared in Rochester city, N. Y.; at the age of fifteen and in 1865 he engaged in the mercantile business and has followed it since. In 1868 he was married to Miss Sophia Rogerson, who was also born in Rochester; they have one son--Frank.
JAMES T. ALLEN, superintendent of tree planting for the U. P. R. R., was born in Pontiac, Mich., September 30, 1831; was reared in the nursery and tree business and was engaged in the mercantile business in his native place for six years; he is of Scotch descent, his father being a native of Glasgow, Scotland. In 1855 he went to Bellevue, Neb., and engaged in the hotel business, being proprietor of the Bellevue House, at that time the largest hotel in the Territory; in 1858 he removed to Omaha and became manager of the Herndon House; in 1861 he became its proprietor and remained as such until 1866, when he went to Julesburg, where he conducted the railroad eating house, he remained there one year and then went to Cheyenne and ran an eating house at that place for six months; upon returning to Omaha, was chief clerk in the P. O. for four and a half years, since which time he has been superintendent of tree planting for the U. P. R. R.; in 1872-73 he was president of the Nebraska State Horticultural Society. Was married, in Pontiac, Mich., in June, 1852, to Miss Elizabeth A. Buddington; she was born in Perry, Wyoming Co., N. Y.; They have seven children.
REUBEN ALLEN came to Omaha in 1871, he was born in Cadiz, Ohio, June 19, 1816, and lived in Ohio until 1840, when he moved to Mount Pleasant, Iowa. There he engaged in farming for several years and dealt a long time in real estate before coming to Omaha; he was engaged in the commission business here for nearly eight years, since which time he has been doing a general real estate business, handling his own property largely. He was married at Mount Pleasant, Iowa, June 19, 1844, to Eveline Caulk, a native of North Carolina; they have four children--Eliza C., now Mrs. W. W. Fink, of Des Moines, Iowa; Mary J., now Mrs. Charles L. Stafford, of Washington, Iowa; Robert E., Deputy U. S. Marshal, and Evalyn.
GEORGE W. AMBROSE, attorney at law, came to Omaha in March, 1867, and has practiced law since he came; he was State Senator in 1874-75; he was born in Detroit, Mich.; October, 5, 1836, and lived in Michigan until he came to Nebraska. He was educated at Ann Arbor and graduated from the law department in 1863; he commenced practice at Ann Arbor, and continued there until he came to Omaha in March, 1867. He was married at Adrian, Mich., January 12, 1862, to Addie E. Harrison; she was born at Ann Arbor, Mich.; they have one daughter--Mamie E. Mr. Ambrose is a member of the A., F. & A. M.
ANDREEN & VALIEN, manufacturers of fire and burglar proof safes. This firm also does a large business in repairing and wrought-iron work; they employ fifteen men and make 200 safes per annum. Gustave Andreen, the senior member of the firm, was born in Sweden in 1845, learned the trade of machinist there, serving five years; was then employed as a railroad engineer for two years; he came to America in 1869; was employed at Boston, Mass., in safe works for six months, afterwards as a machinist at Manchester, N. H., for one year, then foreman in safe works at Chicago, Ill., for two and a half years; in 1873 he came to Nebraska and carried on a machine and blacksmith shop at Tekamah for about eighteen months; came to Omaha in 1875 and began the manufacture of safes, which business he conducted alone up to July 19, 1880, when he was joined by Mr. Vallien. Mr. Andreen was married at Chicago, Ill., in 1873, to Amanda Johnson, a native of Sweden; they have three children--Alma C., Gustave and Olga.
GOTTLOEB ANDERES, brass finisher, in the employ of the U. P. R. R. Co., was born November 7, 1834, in Wurtemberg, Germany, and was educated in Germany before locating here. Was engaged in the silver-plating business for four years in Chicago and five years in Connecticut, then in May, 1868, located here and worked at his trade in this city; then was engaged by U. P. R. R. Co., and worked at silver-plating for the company for about five years, then as machinist in different capacities. Was married in September, 1860, to Caroline Stephens, in Connecticut, who was born in Bavaria, Germany, in 1842. Has five children: Charles and Edward, both in the employ of the U. P. R. R. Co.; George, apprentice to carpenter trade; August and Philip. Member of the I. O. O. F. for eleven years.
MRS. E. ANDRES, fancy goods and notions and dress making, Farnam street. Mrs. Andres was Miss Eva Flacker, born in Albersweiler, near Landau, Bavaria, Germany, June 27, 1842, and came to this country May 13, 1864. March 6, 1870, she was married to Philip Andres, who was born in Hesse-Darmstadt, Germany, Feb. 17, 1842, and came to the United States in 1852. Resided in New York city till 1877, when they came to Omaha, where they have been identified with each of their industries since, he as a jeweler and she as a dressmaker. Their family are: Emma, born April 23, 1871; Ida, October 7, 1873; Minnie June 8, 1875, and Selma, May 31, 1879.
EDWARD M. ANDERSON, of the firm of Lee, Fried & Co., came to Nebraska in September, 1874, locating at Fremont, where he engaged in the grocery, liquor and provision trade until August 30, 1880. He then sold out, and came to Omaha September 25th, becoming a member of the firm he is now with. He was born at Hanover, Germany, October 7, 1844, and came to America April 30, 1869. He resided at Toledo, Ohio, until September, 1874, in which month he moved to Fremont. He was married at Toledo, August 7, 1873 to Miss Ada C. Drury, a native of Tontogany, Ohio. They have one child, Alice.
LEVERETT M. ANDERSON, passenger conductor of the U. P. R. R., was born in Oxford, N. Y., October 6, 1841. He came to Nebraska in June, 1866, located at Omaha, and entered the employ of the U. P. R. R. as a conductor, which position he has occupied since. Was married at Oxford, N. Y., to Elizabeth Justice, a native of that place; she died March 27, 1877, leaving three children: Fred. W., Arthur Leverett and Edith E. Mr. Anderson was married again at Mount Pleasant, Iowa, February 12, 1880 to Ella M. Swan, a native of Greene Co., Pa.
EMORY ANDREWS, assistant Ry. P. O. clerk, Ry. mail service, was born in Oneida Co., N. Y., January 3, 1830. About 1843 removed with his parents to Hudson, St. Croix Co., Wis., where he attended school, and learned the printing business. Removed to Nebraska about 1869, locating in Lincoln, and engaged in the printing business; from there moved to Ashland, Neb., following the same occupation. In May, 1878, was appointed to the railway mail service in which he has since continued. Mr. A. is a member of the I. O. O. F. of Ashland, Neb.
DANIEL P. ANGELL, City Marshal, came to Omaha, Neb., in April, 1873. He engaged in the live stock business for about four years, and then was with T. A. McShane until he was appointed City Marshal, in April, 1881. He was Assessor in 1879 and 1880 for the Sixth Ward. Born in Plainfield, Windham Co., Conn., July 14, 1846, and lived there until he came to Nebraska. He was married in Plainfield, in June, 1872, to Ellen O. Shepard, a native of that place.
EWING L. ARMSTRONG, residence 718 N. Seventeenth street, Omaha; by occupation telegraph operator. Came to Nebraska in June, 1855 and located at Omaha; engaged in telegraphing in 1860, and has been identified with this business since. Was born in Chillicothe, Ohio, June 6, 1845; lived at native place about ten years and came to Omaha direct. Was engaged as military telegraph operator during the rebellion, and was attached to Gen. John D. Sanborn's command, with whom he served two years of field service. Has participated in every engagement with his command; place of operations was Army of the Southwest under Gen. Rosecrans. Entered the service in January, 1862; resigned in January, 1865. After leaving the military service, accepted a prominent position from the W. U. Telegraph Co., at Meadville, Penn., and had charge of their office for several years, leaving it direct for Omaha, where, in addition as telegraph operator, was Deputy Clerk of the Second Judicial District and Supreme Court of State. Has been identified with the Odd Fellows fraternity, and is presiding officer of Omaha Lodge, No., 2, I. O. O. F. Maiden name of wife was Mattie M. Farrington; was married August 15, 1872. At Chicago, Ill, Wife was born in Laporte, Ind. Names of children: Julia May Armstrong, Frank L. Armstrong.
GEORGE ARMSTRONG, Chief Deputy Collector of Internal Revenue, was born in Baltimore, Md., August 1, 1819, moved to Ohio in 1827, learned the trade of printer, and about 1845 was editor of the Ancient Metropolis, a daily and weekly paper published in Chillicothe, Ohio; was also at one time publisher of a paper in the same city. In 1844, he moved to Nebraska, settling in Omaha, where he engaged in manufacturing bricks, and building, the firm being Bovy & Armstrong. They put up the old capitol building, and others. One year later was elected Mayor of the city, and also Probate Judge, a position he retained until the breaking out of the war; was then commissioned Senior Major of Second Nebraska Cavalry (nine months troops ). On being mustered out, he recruited the First Battalion of Nebraska Veteran Cavalry, of which he had the command; they were afterwards merged with the First Infantry into the First Nebraska Cavalry. Mr. A. held a commission as Senior Major in the new organization. On the organization of the State government, in 1865, he was appointed Clerk of the District Court (Judge Lake's term), a position he retained until 1875; was then for one year in the law department of the U. P. Ry. Received his appointment to the collector's office, under Collector Robb, in August, 1878. He was married in Chillicothe, Ohio, August 25, 1844, to Miss Julia Ewing, of Chillicothe. They have three children--Ewing L., George R and Ella R. Mr. A. is a member of the Unitarian Church; is a member of the A., F. & A. M., being at one time G. M. Of the territory.
GEORGE P. ARMSTRONG, engineer, residence 1307 Cass street, Omaha, came to Nebraska in 1868 and located at Omaha; came out to superintend part of work on gas house. Was born in Edinburgh, Scotland, May 28, 1826; lived in native place until 1833, then located in Huron District, Upper Canada. Was in the army through the Mexican War, in 1846, and participated in the battle of Monterey; was mustered out in 1848. Maiden name of wife was Rebecca Davidson. Was married September 16, 1852, at Madison, Ind. She was born in Frankfort, Ky., Names of children are, George D., Thomas P. And William E.
ALFRED ARNEMANN, superintendent of agencies for the Western Horse and Cattle Insurance Co., of Omaha, Neb.; capital of the company amounts to $100,000. Mr. A. was born in Germany, December 15, 1835; emigrated to America in 1854, and located in Milwaukee, Wis., where he clerked in a grocery store one year; then taught private school under Frederick Hecker, in St. Clair Co., Ill., about eighteen months; after which he went to Guttenberg, Iowa, and lived about twelve years, first as clerk, then he began the manufacture of starch on his own account, which after a time he sold and began business as a brewer and continued about eight years, after which he sold out and removed to Omaha and taught school in the German English Society one year, then kept books in Krug's brewery two years, after which he began a German-English private school and continued five years, then was assistant chief clerk in the U. S. post office one year, and now is engages as first stated. He was married in Guttenberg, Iowa, in 1858, to Miss Josephine Schultz, who is a native of Mecklenberg, Germany. They have two sons and one daughter, Matilda, Alfred and August. Mr. A. is a member of the Royal Arcanum; he is also a poet of considerable note, being the author of some very fine German poems.
J. W. ARNOLD, bookkeeper, was born in Pennsylvania in 1841. In 1861 he came West, and after spending six years on the plains he went to Kentucky, when, after a short stay he returned to Omaha, and has been connected with his industry here since. October 18, 1871, he was married to Miss Emily E. Perkins, who was born in Hudson, Mich., in 1847. They have a family of one son, Gilbert Warren, the youngest, and two daughters, Cassie May and Inez Maria. In 1879 Mrs. Arnold, who had for several years previous attended to floriculture, was prevailed upon to open a business in that line, and her trade has been so very prosperous that she now proposes to enlarge upon her favorite industry and does a wholesale business, in which her unremitting attention must command the attention of dealers in flowers.
J. H. ARTHUR, agent Blue Line, and also of the East bound freight, Merchants' Despatch; was born in Hillsborough, Highland Co., Ohio, February 20, 1841; moved to Illinois in 1863, engaged in the office of the Illinois Central R. R. in Chicago, and at Cairo; came to Nebraska in 1868, located at Omaha and engaged in the office U. P. R. R. about one year. Later went into offices of C. & N. W. R. R. in Iowa, where he remained until appointed to present position in 1878. He was married in Hillsborough, Ohio, August 27, 1867, to Miss Mary M. Evans; they have two children, Bertrand and Henry. Mr. Arthur is a member of the Royal Arcanum.
S. F. ATKINS, foreman of Machine Shop No., 2, Union Pacific R. R., is a native of Massachusetts, and was born in Northfield, Franklin Co., November 15, 1844. First worked in Colt's Arms Manufactory, at Hartford, Conn., then in shop of New England Family Sewing Machine Co., at Orange, Mass. In 1864, came West and ran a stationary engine in the Holiday Pump Co.'s works in Batavia, Ill.; then worked in machine shops of C., B. & Q. R. R. at Aurora, Ill. In 1866, went to Chicago, in the Franklin Iron Co.'s shops; then to Hinsdale, N. H., in sewing machine works for one year, then returned to Chicago, in I. C. R. R. shops for three years, and in 1871 came to Omaha, and worked first as journeyman in ships of U. P. R. R., and in 1874 promoted to present position. Is a member of Omaha Lodge No. 2, I. O. O. F.
WILLIAM L. C. ATKINSON, locomotive engineer, U. P. R. R., was born in Cincinnati, Ohio, February 14, 1847. He enlisted October 21, 1862, Twelfth Iowa Infantry, as a private; was discharged December 24, 1863, and re-enlisted same day as a veteran in same regiment, serving until discharged, January 20, 1866. Was afterward employed as night clerk in hotel in Chicago, Ill., for several years; came to Nebraska in 1874, located in Cass County, and was engaged farming for two years; came to Omaha in 1876; entered the employ of the U. P. R. R. Co., as fireman; was engaged in that capacity until January 23, 1881, when he was appointed locomotive engineer. Mr. Atkinson was married at Lincoln, Neb., August 23, 1875, to Frances L. Snider, a native of New York.
JAMES ATWOOD, firm of Atwood & Fox, proprietors of a boarding and feed stable. Mr. Atwood began business in October, 1878, in company with W. F. Stoddard, and continued with him until spring of 1880, at which time Mr. Fox bought the latter's interest and became a partner. The capacity of their barn is fifty horses. They do an average business of $400 per month. Mr. James Atwood was born in England, November 30, 1852; emigrated to America in spring of 1868, and located in Union Precinct, Neb., the same year, where he was engaged in agricultural pursuits until he began business as above stated.
WILLIAM AUST, proprietor U. P. R. R. meat market, 621 N. Sixteenth street, is a native of Prussia; came to Chicago July 2, 1863; worked for the I. C. R. R. about two years, then removed to Oshkosh, Wis., and worked for his brother in the meat business. September 14, 1868, came to Omaha, opened a market, ran it about one year, also worked for Mr. Sheely about one year, then he went to Texas, remaining one year; in 1871 returned to Omaha and opened what is known as the U. P. R. R. market; now employs seven hands. Is a member of the K. of P., Omaha Mænnerchor, member of Engine Company No. 1, and a member of the Board of Trade. Married June, 1876, to Emma Muss, of Davenport, Iowa. They have two children, Alma and Amanda.
WILLIAM B. AUSTIN, engineer nail works, born in England in 1854. He learned his trade on the steamers of the Dublin & Liverpool Navigation Co.; he came to Omaha in 1873, being employed in the smelting works for some time; he was also in the mountains a short time. In 1879 he went into the company of this nail works. He was married in 1875, in Omaha, to Miss Frances N. Shelby, of Crawford County, Iowa. They have two children, John T. And William Henry E. He was employed by the Nail Co., in 1879.
JARED B. AYER, veterinary surgeon, office 509 and 511 S. Thirteenth street. He keeps a veterinary infirmary. Began business in April, 1869, since which he has been actively engaged in the practice excepting three months, during which he paid a visit to the Montreal Veterinary College, in the fall of 1881. He was born in Plattsburg, Clinton Co., N. Y., January 27, 1838. He enlisted as Veterinary Assistant Surgeon in the Second New York Cavalry in 1861; served nearly four years; after coming out of the army he went to Omaha and began the above practice. He was married in Omaha, in the fall of 1873 to Miss Sarah J. Austin, who died December 1, 1880. They have two children, named Bertie and Sadie.
GEORGE B. AYRES, M. D., physician and surgeon, was born at Oronoco, Olmsted Co., Minn., June 15, 1856. His parents removed to Vermont when he was but two months old, and twelve years later returned again to Oronoco, but soon after removed to Rochester to give him better opportunities at school. When seventeen years of age, George entered the Michigan University, at Ann Arbor, remaining there until 1876. He then entered the Long Island College Hospital, at Brooklyn, N. Y., and graduated from that institution in June of the same year, with the title of M. D. He then returned to Ann Arbor, and again entered the medical department of the University, graduating from there in the spring of 1877. He then went to Bowdoin College, Brunswick, Me., as assistant to A. B. Palmer, Professor of Principles and Practice of Medicine; he remained there during one session, and in June, 1877, returned to Ann Arbor, and received the appointment of assistant to C. L. Ford, Professor of Anatomy and Physiology in the University; he remained there as such, as well as Assistant Demonstrator of Anatomy, for three years, and removed to Omaha in September, 1880. He is association with Dr. Mercer in the U. P. R. R. surgical work, as well as doing a general practice; is Professor of Anatomy in the Omaha Medical College, of which he is one of the incorporators; is a member of the Michigan State Medical Society, and of the Ann Arbor Medical and Surgical Society.
FRANK E. BAILEY, of Bailey & Olsen, brick manufacturers and contractors, born in England 1833, came to America in 1850; learned trade of bricklayer at Cleveland, Ohio, and was also engaged in brickmaking; resided there nearly twenty years. Came to Nebraska in 1869; located in Omaha. Commenced in present business and conducted it three years alone, then for four years in company with Samuel Cafferty. In 1877 entered into partnership with Ole Olsen, and they have continued the business since. They make 3,000,000 brick per annum, employing thirty-two men and in building department about twenty men. They built the Creighton Block in 1875, B & M R. R. headquarters in 1878, Max Meyer Block in 1880, and they are now engaged in erecting Millard Hotel and other business buildings. Mr. Bailey was married at Cleveland, Ohio, October 17, 1856; to Mary E. Hunt, Native of Buffalo, N. Y. They have five children: Frank E., Yuba K., George W., Hattie and Ross.
H. W. BAIL, greenhouse and gardener, corner Eighteenth and Willow streets, Omaha, was born in Ohio in 1829, where he followed the agricultural industry till 1867, when he came here, and soon after engaged in his present business, which he has very successfully conducted since. In 1851 he was married to Miss Katalin Bales, who was also born in Ohio. They have one daughter.
CHARLES BALBACH, superintendent Omaha Smelting Works.
SAINT A. D. BALCOMBE, deputy collector of internal revenue, was born in Utica, Oneida Co., N. Y., June 12, 1829. His ancestors on his father's side first landed at Providence, R. I., and immediately settled in Attleborough, Bristol Co., Mass., where they continued for several generations. It was there his father, John L. Balcombe, was born. After living in several States, he finally settled in Minnesota, where he died in 1856, aged fifty-one years. Saint A. D. Lived at home until sixteen years of age, serving as clerk in the post-office, under his father, from 1841 to 1845. During these years of minority he attended school a few winter terms, but acquired his education mostly by night study, after the completion of his day's work. His invalid father, being poor, was not able to give his son a classical education. In 1845 he entered the drug store of Dr. Gill, in Battle Creek, Mich., where he acquired a knowledge of the apothecary and drug business. He continued in this business with different parties in Battle Creek until the fall of 1849, when he went to Elgin, Ill., and started in the drug trade in his own name. In the spring of 1854 he went to Minnesota, located in Winona, where he lived until his appointment as Winnebago Indian Agent in 1861. Mr. B. Settled in Omaha, Neb., in May, 1865. In 1866 he purchased the Omaha Republican and continued as its editor and proprietor until January, 1871, when a half interest was sold to Waldo M. Potter, who assumed editorial control, which he continued until the Tribune and Republican were consolidated in June, 1871, and the proprietorship changed into a company, the stock of which was divided in shares, Mr. B. owning over one-third, and was the general manager of the reorganized establishment until 1876, when he sold his interest. He was appointed Deputy Revenue Collector in 1878, a position he still retains. While a resident of Elgin, Ill, he was married to Anna E. Fox, April 24, 1851. They have five children: Urban B. Lesbie, now Mrs. L. S. Reed; Celma, now Mrs. H. G. Higginson; Mora and Mable. Mr. B. Was elected as a Republican member of the council in the Territorial Legislature of Minnesota in 1855. Was elected by the Legislature of Minnesota a Regent of the University of Minnesota in 1857. Was elected a Republican member of the Constitutional Convention, and was President thereof in 1857 in Minnesota. Was elected as a Republican member of the House of Representatives of the first State Legislature of Minnesota in 1857. In March, 1861, was appointed agent for the Winnebago Indians in Minnesota by President Lincoln, and confirmed by the Senate of the United States, and reappointed from Dakota Territory in March, 1865, by President Lincoln, but removed in November, 1865, by President Johnson for refusing to swear by the accidental President.
[Portrait of B. B. Barkalow]
B. B. BARKALOW, deceased, was born in Warren County, Ohio, October 5, 1819. He was engaged in lumbering, and in the forwarding commission business on the canal; moved to Nebraska in 1856, locating in Omaha, and was engaged in banking, dealing also in real estate. In 1858, he removed to St. Louis, from there to Burlington, Iowa, and then returned to Omaha, where he died September 1, 1854. He was married in Montgomery County, Ohio, January 19, 1842, to Miss Margaret Denise of Montgomery County. There are five children surviving, Derrick V., Sidney D., Newton E., Daisy B., Moses W., one daughter, Anna, died in 1872, aged twenty-two years.
[RESIDENCE OF S. D. BARKALOW.]
BARKALOW BROS., news agents U. P. R. R., firm composed of D. V. and S. D. Barkalow, commenced business in 1865. D. V. B. of above firm was born in Warren County, Ohio, February, 1843. In 1856 he removed with his parents to Omaha, Neb. Learned printing and telegraphy, and about 1862 was engaged as operator on the overland telegraph line. He married in Cheyenne, W. T., May 24, 1876, to Miss Kate Whitehead. They have two children, Weltha M. and Robert V. Mr. B. is a member of the Pleasant Hours Club. S. D. Barkalow of above firm was born in Warren County, Ohio, in 1844; removed to Omaha Neb., with his parents in 1856. At the age of fifteen years he commenced clerking, and at seventeen started in business for himself in book and stationery firm of Barkalow Bros.
JAMES H. BALDWIN, housemover, residence and office 524 S. Fifteenth street, Omaha. He was born in Yorktown, Westchester Co., N. Y., in 1825. He came to Omaha in 1856. In 1857-58 he was employed as foreman in the building of bridges on the roads from Omaha to Running Water, for which an appropriation had been made by the Government. During the year following he engaged in farming. In 1860 he undertook placer and quartz mining at Central City, Colo., which he followed for three years; he then engaged in the wood business in Omaha for two years, since which time he has followed his present business, employing from seven to twenty-five men and from two to four teams. He has an excellent outfit for housemoving, said to be the best west of Chicago. He also deals quite largely in real estate. He was married in 1853 to Miss Mary M. Payne, of Litchfield Co., Conn. They have two children, Dana J. And Darwin P.
M. T. BARLOW, of the firm of Caldwell, Hamilton & Co., bankers, was born in Greencastle, Putnam Co., Ind., January 31, 1844; was educated at Asbury University, Ind., and in 1863 moved to Nebraska, settling in Omaha, and entered the bank of B. M & Co.; has been a member of the present firm since 1867. He was married in Omaha December 19, 1867 to Miss Mary A. Hays, of Omaha. Mr. Barlow is a member of the A., F. & A. M., and of the Pleasant Hours Club.
CAPT. CHESTER BARNEY, superintendent job department Republican Printing office, Omaha.
J. R. BARNICLE, machinist in the employ of the Union Pacific R. R. Co., was born on the 27th of April, 1855, at Coventry, England, and located here March 18, 1868, with his parents, and attended school, availing himself of such educational advantages as he could get; was connected with the Herald office for one year and a half as printer, afterwhich was engaged by the U. P. R. R. Co., and been in the employ for last ten years, Married November 22, 1876, to E. T. Jones, who was born at Bolton, England; has two children, Henry Richard and Rollin Victor, both born in Omaha. Is a member of the I. O. O. F. Omaha lodge No. 2.
H. W. BARNUM, gang boss of building department of the U. P. R. R., was born in Danville, Canada East, August 27, 1840. Up to sixteen years of age he worked with his father in cabinet work, then went to Montreal, and in 1856 worked on the Victoria Bridge. In 1857 went to Vudraw on Ottawa River and worked in a glass factory for one summer, then returned to Danville and attended school, after which he went to New York State, and learned to make rakes. In 1861 went to Springfield, Mass., and worked as a carpenter and millwright, and for one year was foreman millwright in the U. S. Army at Springfield. Before the close of the late rebellion he enlisted for twelve months in the unattached heavy artillery. After his discharge worked as a foreman millwright for the Hazard Powder Co. at Hazardville, Conn., for eighteen months, then at Rockville, Conn., as contractor, carpenter and millwright. He then came to Council Bluffs, Iowa, and worked as a carpenter, and in 1868 came to Omaha and was employed as passenger and foreman in the shops of the U. P. R. R. He helped build the shops after their destruction by fire and also helped build the passenger depot at Omaha. He then took charge of the pattern shop of the car department and from there to his present position. Married Miss Mary A. Shaw, of Danville, Canada East, May 8, 1866. They have six children, Chas. E., William M., Horace, Freddie, George E. and Nellie Barnum.
J. M. BARR, car accountant of Burlington & Missouri R. R. in Nebraska, was born near Columbus, Ohio, October 11, 1855. First came to Nebraska and entered the service of above named Road in 1878 as secretary to A. E. Forzahin, land commissioner at Lincoln; was afterwards secretary and chief clerk to A. E. Forzahin, general manager at Omaha, and in connection with such duties was appointed car accountant in 1880.
MAJ. DAVID S. BARRIGER, vice-president of the Omaha Elevator Co., is a brother of Gen. John W. Barriger, of the U. S. Army, who was stationed at Omaha as Chief Commissary of the Department of the Platte from 1867 to 1873. Maj. Barriger was born in Kentucky, and served in the Subsistence Department of the U. S. Army from 1864 to 1879. He came to Omaha in 1867, and in 1875, in conjunction with John McCormick and Frederick H. Davis, organized the Omaha Elevator Co., and built the first grain elevator in Omaha. In 1879 he was Chairman of the Joint Committee of the City Council and Board of Trade on water supply of Omaha, which initiated measures resulting in the construction of the present water works in that city. In the same year he took a leading part in securing the establishment and building of permanent U. S. Army depots in Omaha. He was the projector, designer and superintendent of construction of the large grain elevator, built in 1881-82 at the eastern terminus of the main line of the Union Pacific Railway. This elevator has a storage capacity of 1,000,000 bushels, and a cleaning-and-grading capacity of 300 car loads per day. The building is 345 feet long, 90 feet wide and, to the top of the cupola, 135 feet high. It stands well above high-water mark, on a foundation of stone walls and piers laid upon heavy grillages, supported by 3,000 piles firmly driven. Upon this foundation, constituting the basement or first story of the building, rest the floor and the solid-built heavy plank walls and cross walls, which are carried up to the eaves and constitute the bins. The elevator is built after the Chicago style, with a cupola four stories high extending the entire length of the structure. The building contains 175 regular bins of 5,000 bushels capacity each, and 65 pocket bins of about 1,600 bushels capacity each. There are 45 weigh-hoppers of 700 bushels each, all provided with Fairbank's scales. There are also 16 cleaners of the most improved design. The ground floor, or basement of the main building is used for track purposes and spouting. In the first story of the cupola are located the spouts for distributing the grain to the bins; the cleaners are in the second story of the cupola; the weigh-hoppers with their scales are in the third story of the cupola, and the heavy elevating machinery is in the fourth story of the cupola. The engine room and boiler house are in a fire-proof brick extension at the east end of the main building. A huge india-rubber belt, driven by an immense cast-iron pulley, fourteen feet in diameter and weighing twenty tons, runs from the ground floor to the top of the cupola and propels the elevating and cleaning machinery. The engine is of the most improved modern design and was built to order by the inventor, Jerome Wheelock, of Worcester, Mass., whose engines took prizes at the Centennial Exhibition of 1876, the Paris Exposition of 1878, and the Miller's International Exhibition of 1880. It is a horizontal engine of 400 nominal horse power, with an automatic cut-off, and may be run condensing or non-condensing. It may be run as low as ten horse-power or can be made to develop 600 horse-power. Steam is supplied by four large tubular boilers of ample capacity for the requirements of the engine. In completeness and adaptability of machinery, this elevator is not surpassed by any in the world.