|SECTION 1: The Early Days||SECTION 2: More Early Days|
|SECTION 3: Omaha in 1870||SECTION 4: Present Day (1882)|
|SECTION 5: Crimes||SECTION 6: Fires and Public Works|
|SECTION 7: Health, Parks, Mail||SECTION 8: The Press in Omaha|
|SECTION 9: Press Continued||SECTION 10: Religious|
|SECTION 11: Religious (cont.)||SECTION 12: Cemetery and Schools|
|SECTION 13: Legal and Medical||SECTION 14: Opera House-Hotels-Business|
|SECTION 15: Societies||SECTION 16: Societies (Cont.)|
|SECTION 17: Business||SECTION 18: Manufacturing|
|SECTION 19: Manufacturing (cont.)|
20 - 46:
** Omaha Biographical Sketches **|
| ABLE~BARRIGER | BARTLETT~BOYD | BOYER~BURNHAM |
| BURR~CONKLING | COFFMAN~CREIGHTON |
| CRITTENTON~DIETZ | DINSMOOR~FAWCETT |
| FEARON~GAYLORD | GELATTE~GROSSMANN |
| GROSS~HAVENS | HAWES~HOILE |
| HOLDREDGE~JORGENSEN | JOSLYN~LEISENRING |
| LEHMAN~LOWE | LUDINGTON~MARHOFF |
| MANNING~MILLER | MILLSPAUGH~NINDEL |
| O'CONNOR~PEABODY | PAUL~READ | REDICK~ROGERS |
| ROSENBERY~SCOTT | SEAMAN~SIMPSON | SINCERE~STONE |
| STORZ~UMPHRESON | URLAU~WILBUR | WILDE~WOOD |
| WOODARD~ZEHRUNG | West Omaha Precinct | Douglas Precinct |
List of Illustrations in Douglas County Chapter
GOTTLEIB STORZ (foreman of the Columbia Brewery and owner of the Saratoga Brewery), brewer, Omaha, was born in Wurtemberg, Germany, in 1852. Came to America in 1872, and to Nebraska in 1876. Has followed this business for the last fifteen years. Is a member of the Odd Fellows, Knights of Pythias, Mænnerchor and Turnverein.
C. L. STRAIGHT, residence 1315 N. Twentieth street, carpenter. Came to Nebraska on the 10th of November, 1872, and located in Omaha. First business engaged in was at Omaha Linseed Oil Works, worked by Harris, Taft & Woodman, and remained about six months. Was born at Moscow, Claremont Co., Ohio, August 9, 1844. Lived in native place until twenty-seven years of age, and came to Omaha. Was in the army during the Rebellion; entered the service as private, August 30, 1864; participated in all battles with his command; was mustered out on June 15, 1865. Is connected with State Lodge No. 10, Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and is Secretary of same lodge. Wife's maiden name was Helen Pepper. Was married December 18, 1877, in Omaha. Wife was born near Brookville, Bracken Co., Ky. The children are Florence and William A.
A. L. STRANG, dealer in pumps, hose, belting, steam and water supplies etc., was born in New York City, July 19, 1843. He resided there until he was twelve years of age, when he removed to Batavia, Kane Co., Ill., remaining there until he settled in Seward County, Neb., in 1871. There he followed farming for one year, and then removed to Lincoln, Neb. He remained in Lincoln until he removed to Omaha, in 1875, and commenced his present business. Was married in Batavia, Ill., to Mary Carr, 1865. She died in 1876, leaving four children, Leonard, George, Laura and Rena. He married his second wife, Emma Bristol, at Batavia in 1877. Mr. Strang enlisted in August 1861, in Company B of the Thirty-sixth Illinois Cavalry, and served until September, 1864.
G. E. STRATMANN, foreman of the upholstering department U. P. R. R., is a native of Germany, and came to the United States in 1862. He served four years as a soldier in the Prussian army. At the commencement of our late civil war he was employed as a saddler in the Sixth Tennessee Volunteer Cavalry of the union army for two years and nine months. At the close of the war he started in the upholstery and carriage trimming business in Memphis, Tenn. In 1865 he took charge of the upholstering department of the Memphis & Charleston Railroad. Upon the breaking out of the yellow fever, at which time he lost his wife and two children, himself being sick, he was sent to the hospital in Chicago. Upon his recovery he commenced work in the upholstering department of the Illinois Central Railroad, in the winter of 1867-68 he was engaged by Supt. Snyder, of Union Pacific Railroad, to take charge of the same department at Omaha. Has held the present position continually up to the present time, except one year that he had charge of the Southern Railroad at San Francisco. He married again in Chicago Miss Augusta Zentgraf, of Chicago, October 20, 1867. They have five children, Amanda, Alma, Wanda, Augusta and Ernst.
J. STRICKLER, groceries and provisions, commenced in 1876, carries a stock of about $5,000 and does a business of $20,000 to $25,000 yearly. Mr. Strickler was born in Shenandoah County, Va., in 1830, left Virginia in 1856, and after remaining a short time in Missouri settled in Brownville, Nemaha Co., Neb., 1857, engaged in mercantile business until 1863, when he sold out and removed to Omaha, was for several years in grocery business, firm of J. Strickler & Co. They sold out and engaged in commission business in which he continued until 1876. Mr. Strickler was treasurer of Nemaha County two years.
CONRAD STROEBEL, groceries and provisions, was born in Germany, February 6, 1841. In 1873 he came to the Untied States and settled in Crete, Neb., engaged in farming. Moved to Omaha in 1875 and engaged in general occupations. Kept a boarding house and saloon for some time, commenced present business in fall of 1881. He was married in Germany August 15, 1869 to Miss Eliza Schroedel. They have one child, Lawrence.
JOHN STUBEN, dairyman, on Military road, one-half mile west of Deaf and Dumb Asylum, has been in the dairy business twelve years. He has fifty head of milch cows, selling from eighty to 120 gallons of milk daily. He employs two hands, one delivery wagon and six horses. He was born in Holstein, Germany, in 1837. He came to America in 1858, living in Indiana until 1869, when he came to Omaha. He was married in 1862 to Miss Amelia Rachka, at Lafayette, Ind. They have seven children.
HIRAM A. STURGES, attorney, came to Omaha September 1, 1875, and has engaged in practice ever since. He was born at Holly, Mich., April 23, 1850. He attended the Michigan University, graduating in 1873. In August, 1874, he came to Plattsmouth and was principal of the high school there. The year previous he had been principal of the high school at Frankfort, Mich. He was married at Bangor, Van Buren Co., Mich., to Miss Lora L. Conklin, a native of Detroit, July 21, 1875. They have one child, Pauline E. He is a member of the I. O. O. F., is a member of the firm of McKoon & Sturgis, the leading fire insurance agency in Omaha.
HOMER STULL, attorney at law, came to Omaha in February, 1871; for four years thereafter he was connected with the Omaha Herald, and has since 1875 practiced law. He is examiner of the United States Court and a member of the City Council. He served one year as Chairman of the Judiciary Committee and was in April, 1882, elected President of the Council. He was born in Rochester, N. Y., June 2, 1836, being educated at Genesee College, Lima, N. Y. He was a member of the firm of Stull Bros., attorneys at Rochester, for eight years prior to coming to Nebraska. Mr. Stull married in Rochester in 1866 Miss Marie Otto, a native of the Hartz Mountains, Germany. They have four children.
MOSE STURMAN, proprietor of Road House, corner Saratoga and Saunders streets, Omaha, was born in Brooklyn, N. Y., in 1828. He clerked in his father's store until he was twenty-one when he went to California where he learned the butcher business, which he followed for seven years, having a large contract to furnish meat for the government forces at Mendocino, Cal. At the end of this time he went to Oregon and engaged in the liquor business at Dallas and Umatilla Landing, Ore, and Fort Vancouver, W. T., at the same time. He afterward traveled through a great portion of the Pacific Coast, visiting all the mines of importance in that section. He came to Omaha in 1866, living there the greater part of the time since.
H. SUESSENBACH, superintendent, Willow Springs, Distillery, was born in Selesia, Prussia, November 13, 1839; came to the Untied States in 1862, visited Central America and South America, came to Nebraska in 1868, locating in Omaha. Became connected with Willow Springs Distillery in about 1873, in 1877 he went to Deadwood, D. T., and entered firm of Iler, McCaffney & Co., returned to Omaha in 1879 and took present position.
JOHN H. SULLIVAN, traveling salesman, with Tootle, Maul & Co. Omaha, was born in Boston, Mass., came to Nebraska in 1878, and has been actively connected with the present firm since. He married Miss B. A. Coleman, who was born in Ireland and reared in Boston.
JOHN SVACINA, saloon, S. Thirteenth street, was born in Bohemia in 1852. In 1872 he came to America, and settled in Omaha. In 1874 he opened the present business, which he has carried on since. In 1876 he was married to Miss Mary Krajicek, who was born in Bohemia in 1860. They have one son, Jacob Svacina.
G. SVANSON & CO., merchant tailors, 309 S. Eleventh street. Mr. Svanson is a native of Sweden, and came to America in 1868, located in Minnesota where he remained one year. He then came to Omaha, worked for F. J. Ramge and others till September 1, 1881, when they commenced this business. They are now prepared to furnish all materials in their line as good as can be found in the State, and will warrant a perfect fit. He was married in 1870 to Bertha Olsen, of Sweden, They have three children, one daughter and two sons. Mr. August Schipporeit, who is a member of the firm, is a native of Prussia and came to Omaha in 1876. He has also had a long experience in this business, having followed it since a boy.
THOMAS SWOBE, of the firm of Markel & Swobe, railroad dining hall Omaha and Union Pacific Hotel, Council Bluffs, was born in Fulton County, N. Y., March 17, 1843. When about fourteen years of age he removed to Niles, Mich., and enlisted October 16, 1861, in Company E, Twelfth Michigan Infantry, as a private. He re-enlisted when the Regiment veteranized, February 4, 1863, and was mustered out as First Lieutenant of Company K, March 6, 1866. He was engaged on staff duty for about two years. He was Quartermaster of the Second Brigade, Second Division, Seventh Army Corps. In 1865 he was appointed Post Commissary at Washington, Ark., by General Reynolds. In December, 1865, he was detailed as Adjutant General on General Dwight May's staff, Southern Division of Arkansas. He returned to Michigan, then went to Chicago, and went through Eastman's Business College. He came to Nebraska in August, 1866, located in Omaha and engaged in County Clerk's office one year, and was then appointed secretary of the Central Land Company, a position he retained for two years. He was then elected County Clerk of Douglas County. After serving one term he was then engaged in keeping books in a wholesale house in Omaha. In the spring of 1876 he entered into partnership with Markel in hotel, and keeping railroad dining hall. He was married in Omaha to Miss Alzina Scott, a sister of Mrs. Milton Rogers. They have two children, Edwin F. and Dwight M. Mr. Swobe is a member of the A. F. & A. M., Lodge, Chapter and Commandery, and junior partner of Shears, Markel & Swobe, of the Millard Hotel, and treasurer of the Hotel Association of Omaha.
FRANK SWOBODA, saloon, 80 Thirteenth street, was born in Bohemia in 1858. In 1876 he came to America and settled here. In 1879 he was married to Miss Phillipena Swoboda, who was born in Bohemia in 1860. They have one son, Frank.
C. F. TAGGART, Clerk, R. P. O. Ry., Mail Service, was born in Stockport, Morgan Co., Ohio, April 24, 1853, and moved from Perry County, Ohio to Nebraska in November, 1873, locating in Hamilton County. He was engaged in the hardware business in Aurora, Hamilton Co., but sold out after his appointment. He was appointed to his present position January 28, 1875. He was first on the O. & K. route, then transferred to the St. J. & O. R. P. O., and then to the O. & H. R. P. O.
C. T. TAYLOR, insurance agent, came to Omaha in September, 1870, and has been engaged in the life and fire insurance business ever since, being general agent for Nebraska, Colorado and Wyoming. He is also interested in mining operations in Colorado. He was born in Amherst, Nova Scotia, whence he came directly to Nebraska. He also transacts a real estate business at Omaha. He was married at Omaha November 17, 1874, to Catherine Boyd, a native of Zanesville, Ohio. They have one child, Mabel I. Mr. Taylor does a life insurance business of about $1,000,000 a year.
J. G. TAYLOR, assistant treasure of the B. & M. R. R. R., in Nebraska, came to Nebraska in 1870. He has been connected with the road since that date, and on August, 1, 1875, was appointed assistant treasurer of the company.
W. O. TAYLOR, business manager of Omaha Agency, of the Bradstreet Company. The Improved Mercantile Agency was established in Omaha in 1872. The house was originally started in New York City by J. M. Bradstreet in 1849 and was continued as a copartnership until 1876, was then organized as a joint stock company, under laws of the State of New York. The title bing the J. M. Bradstreet & Son Company, and shortly afterward changed to the present title. The house does a reporting business exclusively though they have every facility for attending to collections through their correspondents, and furnish the names of reliable attorneys for all legal business. Mr. Taylor was born in Providence, R. I., March 1, 1854. He received his education in that city, and in 1876 entered Bradstreet's office in Providence and came to Omaha in 1878 and took charge of this office. He was married in Omaha September 17, 1880, to Miss Fannie L. McConnell. They have one child, Mance. Mr. Taylor is a member of the Congregational Church, and during his stay here has been superintendent of the City Mission, and also of the Congregational Sunday school.
THE OMAHA IRON AND NAIL COMPANY was incorporated May 27, 1878, by G. T. Walker, Charles P. Burkitt, R. W. Wilson and W. C. B. Allen, capital stock $25,000. In the fall of 1879 the capital stock was increased to $50,000. Present officers John A. Creighton, pres.; G. T. Walker, v. pres. and supt.; Joseph Creighton, sec. and treas.; and John A. McShane, asst. sec. and treas. Board of Directors, John A. Creighton, G. T. Walker, John A. McShane, W. A. Paxton and Charles P. Burkitt. The company manufactures about 30,000 pounds of nails per day. Considerable of the machinery is automatic. They employ about sixty men and boys. G. T. Walker, v. pres. and supt., of this company, was born in England in 1837, came to America when quite young. Was for some six years in Grant County, Wis., was engaged in mercantile business in connection with a woolen mill. In 1876 he purchased the Northwestern Nail Works at Dunleith, Ill., with the intention of removing them. In 1877 he came to Nebraska and located in Omaha, he brought here the machinery, stock, etc., of the Northwestern Nail Works of Dunleith, Ill., and organized the present company.
JULIUS THIELE, proprietor of Tivoli Concert Hall and Summer Garden, 903, 905 and 907 Farnam street, Omaha. Mr. T. was born in Germany, 1843, and came to this country in 1863 and stayed in New York till 1868, when he came to Omaha, and has followed the musical profession since. Has carried on the Tivoli since 1879. In 1870 he was married to Miss Agnes Satorius, who was born in Germany, in 1853. The family are Julius, Adolph, Emma, Minnie and Clara, and Arthur who is buried in Sidney Cemetery, Nebraska.
AUGUSTUS E. THOMAS, passenger conductor U. P. R. R., was born at Madison, Ind., January 1, 1835. Was engaged farming with his parents until twenty-four years of age, when he entered the employ of the J. & I. R. R. Company. Was engaged as brakeman and conductor some eighteen months, he then came west and crossed the "plains" into Washington Territory. Afterwards was in Oregon and Idaho, where he was engaged teaming, mining, etc., for five years and six months, after which he ran a dairy at Council Bluffs, Iowa, until he came to Omaha, Neb., in August, 1868. Was engaged teaming for two years, then employed in a distillery for a year. In July, 1871, entered the employ of the U. P. R. R. Company as a brakeman, was engaged in that capacity eight months, then freight conductor until June 6, 1881, when he was appointed passenger conductor. Mr. Thomas was married at Madison, Ind., in the spring of 1868, to Eliza J. Logan, a native of Indiana. She died in 1877, leaving two children, Fannie and Daisy.
DEXTER L. THOMAS, attorney at law, came to Omaha, in April, 1870, and has since been engaged in practice, doing also a loan and real estate business. He was born in Newville, DeKalb Co., Ind., October 11, 1841. Prior to the war he was engaged in mercantile business. He enlisted in Company H, Eighty-eighth Indiana Volunteer Infantry, as a private, August 7, 1862, was mustered out as Captain of the same company. He was in all the engagements of his command, was in the Fourteenth Army Corps, and followed it in all its movements. He was mustered out June 17, 1865, and returned to his native place. Attended Hiram College for three years. For one winter he taught at high school in Butler, Ind. He spent six months in the County Recorder's Office, at Des Moines, Iowa. Two years, 1869 and 1870, he attended the Law School at Ann Arbor, commencing practice at Omaha, upon his graduation. He was married at Ann Arbor, Mich., October 27, 1870, to Miss Frances I. Jefferies, a native of Dexter, Mich. They have four children; Charles L., Hugh S., Clara Belle and Guy Dexter. Mr. Thomas is a member of the G. A. R.
CHARLES L. THOMAS, real estate dealer, was born in Newville, Ind., April 18, 1840. He engaged in mercantile business. When the war broke out he enlisted April 23, 1861, in Company F., Twelfth Indiana Volunteer Infantry, at Fort Wayne. He remained in that regiment one year, and then served three months in Company H, Fifty-fifth Indiana Volunteer Infantry. He was in all the engagements of his command while in the service. He returned to Newville, and was married there April 5, 1864, to Harriet E. Fusselman, a native of Stafford Township, DeKalb Co., Ind. They have two children; Minnie F., and Rollin R. Mr. Thomas is a member of A., F. & A. M. He came to Omaha, March 22, 1881, and is a member of the real estate and loan firm of D. L. Thomas & Bro.
G. W. THOMAS, Jr., Route Agent Railroad Mail Service, was born in Darke County, Ohio, in 1852, from there went with his parents to Davenport, Iowa and from there to Douglas County, Iowa, in 1863, where he was engaged in farming until 1881, when he received his appointment as Route Agent, running from Omaha to Ogden. Was married in 1876.
A. E. THOMPSON, Route Agent R. P. O. Railway Mail Service, was born in Plymouth, Conn., March 14, 1842. Enlisted May 12, 1861, in Company C, Third Connecticut three months' troops. Re-enlisted in 1862, in Company I, Fourteenth Connecticut. Discharged January 10, 1863, on account of sickness. Moved to Iowa in 1864, locating in what is now known as the town of Cresco, remaining about two years then settled in Winnesheik County, Iowa, two years, later removed to Rock County, Minn., and from there to Nebraska, in 1875, settling in David City, where he still resides. Was appointed to his present position, December 25, 1881. Mr. T. is a member of the G. A. R. of David City.
[Portrait of John M. Thurston]
HON. J. M. THURSTON, attorney at law, was born at Montpelier, Vt., August 21, 1847. Moved to Madison, Wis., in 1854, and to Beaver Dam in 1857, where he was educated. Was admitted to the bar at Portage, Wis., in 1869, and in October of that year located at Omaha, and commenced practice here, and has followed it since. Was married at Omaha, December 25, 1872, to Martha L. Poland, a native of Vermont. They have had three children only one of whom is living, Charles P., and Frank died in November, 1880, aged respectively seven and four. Clarence L. is still living. Mr. T. was a member of the City Council from 1872 to 1874; member of the Legislature in 1875 to 1876; City Attorney from 1874 to 1877, which position he resigned to accept that of assistant attorney of the U. P. R. R. Co., which he now holds. In 1875 was Republican candidate for District Judge. Was Presidential Elector in 1880, and messenger from Nebraska to carry electoral returns to Washington. Is a member of St. John's Lodge A., F. & A. M.
G. W. TIBBALS, firm of G. W. Tibbals & Co., general commission merchants and dealers in butter, eggs and cheese, 1420 Douglas street. Mr. G. W. Tibbals located in Nebraska City in the fall of 1865, and engaged in the harness business, a short time after which he went to Omaha and engaged with A. J. Simpson, who was then in the carriage trimming and car upholstery business. He also run at same time a confectionery and fruit store in company with Jacob Crowl. He was with Mr. S. Six years, and in the employ of the U. P. car upholstery, taking charge of the same. He was then employed on the U. P. R. R., as Pullman conductor, seven and one half years, after which he went into the present business. He was born in Milford, Conn., July 28, 1837. He was married in Omaha, September, 1881, to Miss Minnie Merwin, who was born in New Haven Conn. He has been and is now, leader of the Presbyterian and Eighteenth Street M. E. Sunday Schools, and North Omaha Presbyterian choir.
MARTIN TIBKE, dairyman, 3001 Cuming street, Omaha. Came to Omaha in 1867, and has been engaged in the dairy business since the spring of 1869. He had at that time nine head of milch cows; he now has forty-two head, and employs two men, three horses and one delivery wagon. He sells seventy gallons of milk per day and has 150 customers, he has, in addition to this dairy, a farm of 200 acres, near the barracks. He was born in Germany, in 1844, and came to America in 1865, remaining in New York City two months, then going to Wisconsin, where he lived till he came to Omaha. In 1871 he married Miss Dorothea Riepen. They have three children.
GEORGE TILDEN, M. D., physician and surgeon, came to Omaha in 1868. He graduated from the Albany Medical College in December, 1867. He is a member of the State Medical Association and the Omaha Medical Society. He was born in Warren, Herkimer Co., N. Y., July 16, 1842, and received an academical education. He was married at Omaha to Ida V. Clegg, a native of Moundsville, Va. They have one child--Howard.
CHARLES W. & WILL J. TOUSLEY, market gardeners, Sherman Avenue, Omaha. The brothers were born in Troy, N. Y., and came here with their people in 1857. They engaged in this industry about fifteen years ago, the oldest established in the State, and in 1878 they formed the present partnership of Tousley Bros., and have very successfully conducted the business since. Their gardens, assisted by their hot beds, produce all the varieties of vegetables common to the soil, and are a constant source of revenue to them the year round. The older of the brothers is Charles W., who was born in 1853. Will J. was born in 1856.
A. E. TOUZALIN, first vice-president of the C. B. & Q. R. R. Co., was born in England, in the year 1842. Came to the United States when eight years of age. Joined the Burlington R. R. in 1867, as general passenger and ticket agent. Has been connected with the road since that time, except a period for one and a half years, when he was land commissioner of the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe R. R. Appointed general manager B. & M. R. R., in Nebraska, in 1878; vice president C., B. & Q. R. R. in 1881. Since 1867 he has been connected with the growth and development of the State of Nebraska and has resided in Omaha since 1878. Present headquarters are in Boston, Mass.
A. TRAYNOR, general baggage agent of Union Pacific Railroad, was born in Newark, N. J., Feb. 9 , 1843. At the age of sixteen he started to learn the wagon business which he followed for a short time, when he was employed as a fireman on the New York Central R. R., after which he went to Chicago and was fireman on a steamboat plying between Chicago and Buffalo. In 1859 he was a section boss on the Amboy, Lansing & Traverse Bay R. R., now a part of Michigan Central R. R. In 1861 he enlisted as a private in Company D, First Michigan Cavalry, under Col. Brodhead, and was captured at Clauds Mills. His escape would of itself read as a romance and called forth the following letter:
Headquarters Dep't of Washington, 22nd Army Corps, Washington, D. C., March 18, 1864. Corporal Traynor, Co. D, 1st Mich. Cavalry, Corporal,--The Major-General commanding the Department directs me to thank you for the gallant and soldierly conduct by which you liberated yourself and comrads while disarmed and in the hands of armed guerrillas. The same manly spirit and action shown by you if manifested by your comrades would rid the Department of the predatory bands, calling themselves Confederate soldiers. A copy of this communication will be forwarded to the Adjutant-General of Michigan. Very Respectfully, Your Most Obedient Servant. J. H. Taylor, Chief of Staff, A. A. G. Through COL. H. H. WELLS, Pro. M. Gen. Def. S. of Potomac, Alexandria.
Was discharged in 1864, and in same year became engaged in the railroad service of the U. S. Government, in North Carolina, as an engineer for six months, until the breaking out of the yellow fever, when he returned to Virginia and was employed as superintendent in supplying wood for the U. S. Government. In fall of 1865 came West to Missouri and was employed as fireman on the Hannibal & St. Joe R. R., until spring of 1866, when he came to Omaha and was Government Storekeeper. In the winter of 1866 he commenced as check clerk in the freight department of the Union Pacific Railway. In 1867, was appointed baggage agent and acted as such until spring of 1871, from which time until 1873, was acting general baggage agent, and same year was appointed to his present position of general baggage agent. He is a member of Covert Lodge A., F. & A. M., No. 11, and also of the Omaha Chapter of Royal Arch Masons; also of Mount Cavalry Commandery, No. 1. Married Miss Phoebe J. Johnson, of Ohio. Have one child, Anna.
JULIUS TREITSCHKE, proprietor of a saloon and wholesale liquor store, cigars, billiard tables, oysters, etc. He began in September, 1872, commencing on a small scale. Sales now amount to $2,500 per month in retail department. He employs four men in the business. Wholesale store is 308 S. Fifteenth street and retail 312 S. Fifteenth street. He was born in Germany, May 11, 1849. Emigrated to America in June, 1871, and settled in Omaha the 26th same month. He was married in Omaha, December 22, 1872, to Miss Catherine B. Drexel. She was born in Ohio. They have three children, Louis F., Bertha and infant daughter not yet named. He is a member of the Knights of Pythias, Planet Lodge No. 4; also a member of the Lutheran Church. He was a member of the German army during the Franco-Prussian war.
AUGUSTUS TREMANN, stockdealer, was born in Germany, 1835, came to America in 1851, and to Nebraska in 1880. Has been connected with the present industry for over twenty years. September 14, 1857, he was married to Miss Sarah Jane Gilmore, who was born in Philadelphia, 1838. They have two sons and five daughters.
HERMAN H. TRENKLE, of the firm of Lohlein & Trenkle, meat market, corner S. Thirteenth and Pierce streets, Omaha, was born in Baden, Germany, in 1851. In 1869 he came to Illinois, where after a stay of two years, he came here and opened the business of meat market, and has successfully conducted it since. On Christmas, 1871, he was married to Miss Anna Oberenter, who was born in Saxony, 1852. They have a family of two sons, August and Hermann H., and one daughter, Emma H., and have buried one daughter, Katie.
T. M. TREVETT, of Trevett & Stewart, wagon and carriage factory and general blacksmith shop, was born in St. Lawrence County, N. Y., in 1845; was engaged farming and teaching school for some time. In 1864 he enlisted in the Sixth New York, heavy artillery, and served ten and one half months. Was then farming and teaching school, until he came to Nebraska, in 1869, located in Omaha, and was engaged as clerk in mercantile business for two and one half years. Afterward carried on business as a stencil maker and engraver for four years. He then added a machine shop, and ran the business for four years longer, under style of Novelty Iron Works. He sold out these works in 1879. Was then in the employ of Omaha White Lead Company for four months. Commenced present business in November, 1880. Conducted it alone until November 1, 1881, when he admitted Earnest Stewart.
WILLIAM M. THROUGHTON, contractor and builder, office corner of Sixteenth and Dodge streets, Omaha. He was born in 1845, in Stanton, N. Y., where he leaned his trade of carpenter, beginning in 1861. He married Miss Kittie Auchmoody, January 1, , 1871, at Rosendale, Ulster Co., N. Y. He has one child, Kittie. He came to Omaha in 1876, and has done an extensive business, employing from twelve to thirty hands.
B. F. TROXELL, of the firm of B. F. Troxell & Co., commission merchants came to Omaha in 1880. Prior to locating here he was connected with the wholesale grocery house of H. K. and F. B. Thurber, the largest establishment of the kind in the world. He was general salesman, and had an interest in their soap department. He was born at Milton, Pa., and removed to St. Louis in 1861. For one year he served in the Halleck Guards, in Missouri. In 1865 he went to New York, where he resided until he came to Nebraska.
CHAS. R. TURNEY, superintendent of Simpson's carriage factory, Omaha, was born in Trumbull, and reared in Bridgeport, Conn., and came to Omaha in 1868, and has been successfully connected with this firm since. In 1860 he was married to Miss Mary Curtis, of Bridgeport. They have one son, Frank. Mr. T. engaged at the carriage making business in 1853, at the age of sixteen, and has followed it continuously since, in Bridgeport, New York, Chicago, St. Louis and Omaha. He is a Sir Knight in the Mount Calvary Commandery, No. 1 of Omaha. Past Dictator of the Knights of Honor, and Tiler in the Scottish Rites Masons here.
THOMAS F. TUTTLE, book-keeper with Milton Rodgers & Son, Omaha. Mr. Tuttle is a native of Missouri. In 1862, he came to Nebraska and has been identified with the business industries of the State since. In 1879 he was married to Miss Jennie Dubois, who was born in Michigan. They have one son--Dean Gilliland.
BRUNO TZSCHUCK, resident 716 N. Twentieth street, Omaha, was born in 1827, in Germany. Serving as Lieutenant in the German army, form 1846 to 1851. He was in the war between Prussia and Denmark, in the years 1849-50-51, being several times wounded. He came to America in 1851, and during that year married Miss Maria Schmidt, at Davenport, Iowa. In 1852, he came to Nebraska, landing near Bellevue, where, in 1854, he opened up his large farm, building his permanent residence the next year. He lived on his farm till the spring of 1880, when he moved to Omaha. Mr. T. takes great interest, and has been prominently identified with the State Government, having several times represented his district in the Legislature, and having been Secretary of State, and Adjutant General of the State from 1875 to 1879. During the latter part of 1875, he was acting Governor of the State; he was also Supervisor of the census of 1880. In 1861, he went into the Union army as Captain of engineer serving under Gens. Fremont and Halleck, till the spring of 1862, when he resigned. They have six children--named as follows: Clara, the wife of Col. J. C. Hoffmayr, of Council Bluffs, Iowa; George B., Bruno M., Alice, Agnes and Tony.
WILLIAM UMPHRESON, foreman car repairs, in the employ of the U. P. R. R. Co., was born May 29, 1838, at Black Rock, York State. Before locating here, went to Canada with parents, who were in reduced circumstances, and finding that he could not get an education, went to sea at the age of fifteen, on the Gilman line of vessels. For two years sailing between Quebec and Liverpool, after which went into the pinery business on the Gottenean River in Canada for about three years. Then engaged again as sailor on Lake Michigan until war broke out, and on the 7th of April, 1861, enlisted in the Seventh Wisconsin Infantry, Company E, and was in the wagon train, stationed near and around St. Petersburg. Then crossed the Appomattox River just before Gen. Lee surrendered, and was mustered out 4th July, 1865, in Madison, Wis., and went farming for two years in that State. Then went railroading for about two years; then as car repairer for M. & St. Paul R. R. Co., and on April 21, 1870 came to Omaha, and engaged with the U. P. R. R. Co. as car repairer for two years, and then was sent with transfer train to Ninth street depot, as inspector of passenger trains, and held that position for four years. Then was made foreman of the car repairing and cleaning of railway passenger coaches. Was married August 7, 1865 to Annie Finley, who was born in Muskego Center, Wis. Has one child, son, attending school. Mrs. U. has been connected with the order of Eastern Star for three years as associate conductress, and on January 7, 1882, was installed as conductress. Her father was State Senator in Wisconsin for two or three terms, and held prominent positions in State and county before his death. Been connected with the Masonic Order for nine years. Member of St. Johns Lodge No. 25.