|SECTION 1: The Early Days||SECTION 2: More Early Days|
|SECTION 3: Omaha in 1870||SECTION 4: Present Day (1882)|
|SECTION 5: Crimes||SECTION 6: Fires and Public Works|
|SECTION 7: Health, Parks, Mail||SECTION 8: The Press in Omaha|
|SECTION 9: Press Continued||SECTION 10: Religious|
|SECTION 11: Religious (cont.)||SECTION 12: Cemetery and Schools|
|SECTION 13: Legal and Medical||SECTION 14: Opera House-Hotels-Business|
|SECTION 15: Societies||SECTION 16: Societies (Cont.)|
|SECTION 17: Business||SECTION 18: Manufacturing|
|SECTION 19: Manufacturing (cont.)|
20 - 46:
** Omaha Biographical Sketches **|
| ABLE~BARRIGER | BARTLETT~BOYD | BOYER~BURNHAM |
| BURR~CONKLING | COFFMAN~CREIGHTON |
| CRITTENTON~DIETZ | DINSMOOR~FAWCETT |
| FEARON~GAYLORD | GELATTE~GROSSMANN |
| GROSS~HAVENS | HAWES~HOILE |
| HOLDREDGE~JORGENSEN | JOSLYN~LEISENRING |
| LEHMAN~LOWE | LUDINGTON~MARHOFF |
| MANNING~MILLER | MILLSPAUGH~NINDEL |
| O'CONNOR~PEABODY | PAUL~READ | REDICK~ROGERS |
| ROSENBERY~SCOTT | SEAMAN~SIMPSON | SINCERE~STONE |
| STORZ~UMPHRESON | URLAU~WILBUR | WILDE~WOOD |
| WOODARD~ZEHRUNG | West Omaha Precinct | Douglas Precinct |
List of Illustrations in Douglas County Chapter
P. BOYER & CO., dealers in Hall's safes, commenced business in spring of 1881, succeeding Brisco & Co., They were established in 1879. Mr. P. Boyer of above firm, was born in Denmark, February 9, 1842. Came to the United States in 1864, and after locating in various places finally settled in Omaha in 1867. Engaged in office of C. & N. W. R. R. and in 1872 took a position in the freight department of the U. P. R. R., where he remained until he engaged in present business. He was married in Omaha, May 29, 1873, to Miss Lida Mason. They have three children, Maggie R., Eddie P. and Arthur G. Mr. B. is a member of the I. O. O. F. Lodge and Encampment. He has passed through all chairs of both.
M. I. BOYLES, salesman for the Carson & Rand Lumber Company. He now resides at Keokuk, Iowa. This company was organized in the spring of 1882 and is composed of Messrs. E. D. Rand, President; William Carson, Vice President; G. D. Rand, Treasurer, and E. D. Rand, Jr., Secretary. The above company handle over 30,000,000 feet of lumber annually. They employ 150 men and twenty horses. Their sales extend through the entire West. They are making extensive improvements such as steam pulling arrangements, new planing mill, of the latest and most improved machinery, shed, etc., and will carry one of the largest stocks on the Mississippi River. Their railroad facilities for shipping throughout the West are unsurpassed. The Carson & Rand Company sell lumber made at their own mills only. These mills are located at Eau Claire and Ogalla, Wis., and at Burlington, Iowa.
LOUIS BRADFORD, wholesale and retail lumber merchant, came to Omaha in 1879 and engaged in his present business. His principal trade is in Nebraska, and he handles from 7,000,000 to 8,000,000 feet a year. The business had doubled in the past year. He keeps about twelve or fifteen men employed in the various departments of his business. Mr. Bradford was born in Chicago and resided at Rock Island for seven years prior to coming to Omaha. While there he was in the employ of a wholesale lumber firm and he has been practically in that business since his youth. He handles sash, doors and blinds, paints and lime. He sold 30,000 barrels of lime in 1881.
JOHN E. BRADLEY, proprietor of a restaurant, under the Opera House. He manufactures and sells all kinds of cakes, pies, and bread. Sells cigars and smoking articles. He came to Omaha, Neb., in 1867 and first engaged as engineer for City of Omaha seven years. He also worked for the U. P. R. R. four years and two and one-half years for Messrs. Kimball & White as engineer. He was born in Erie County, N. Y., March 28, 1845. Was married June 16, 1880, in Omaha, to Miss Nannie M. Liddee, who was born in Canada West, February 13, 1853. He enlisted in Company A, of the First Michigan Cavalry May 13, 1861. Served in that about two and a quarter years. Then re-enlisted in Company C, Forty-third Regiment Indiana Volunteer Infantry, and was a participant in the battles of Chancellorsville, Maryland Heights, Winchester, Middleton, Gettysburg and under fire at the Swamp fight and many skirmishes. He was mustered out at Columbus, Ohio, August 14, 1865.
JOHN G. BRANDT, proprietor German Stadt Theatre and the Turner Halls, 504 to 512 Tenth street, Omaha. Mr. Brandt was born in Rensburg, province Holstein, Germany, in 1839 and came to this country in 1856. Settled in Davenport, Iowa, where he followed the musical and coopering business until 1868, when he came to Omaha and followed his professions till 1874, when he bought the present business and has successfully conducted it since. He was married in 1864 to Miss Margaret Schnoor, who was born at Burg, Holstein, 1847. They have a family of two sons and two daughters. They are, John L., Emma, Mina and William. Mr. Brandt enlisted as second band leader in the Forty-fifth Illinois in 1861 and remained in the service till 1863 when he was honorably discharged. In 1864 he joined the Eleventh Iowa Militia, and carried a gun till the end of the war. Was honorably discharged. In 1876 he organized the present Dramatic Club of Omaha which now numbers over 2,500 members.
CLINTON BRIGGS, settled in Omaha November, 19, 1865, and began the practice of his profession in the summer of 1857. He was elected County Judge, which position he held two years; during his continuance in office he was elected to the Territorial Legislature, when he assisted in framing the present code of civil procedure; after the expiration of his official term, he again resumed the practice of law. In 1860 he was elected Mayor of Omaha on the Republican ticket; while holding that office, telegraphic communication was established between Omaha, New York City and San Francisco via Salt Lake, when he communicated with the Mayors of the several cities; since holding the latter office he has not sought or held any official position, except he was a member of the Constitutional Convention in 1875, and assisted in framing the present State Constitution; during the fifteen years following 1860, he was engaged in much important litigation, which frequently required him to prosecute cases in the Supreme Court of Nebraska and the Superior Courts of the Untied States, his health becoming impaired he abandoned the general practice in 1871 and has since confined himself to a few important cases. In 1878 he traveled extensively in Europe, with great advantage to his health, since which time he and his family have traveled in California and the Western States and Territories, to a considerable extent. He was a candidate for the United States Senate in 1877, his name having been brought forward by his friends, he lacked only a few votes of receiving the nomination; his name was brought forward on account of his long persistent and successful efforts to compel the two leading railroads of his State to pay taxes on their immense land grants. The prominent position taken by the Judge on the important questions that came before the Constitutional Convention before referred to, also added to his reputation as a representative of the people throughout the State. Mr. Briggs aided somewhat in the construction of the O. & S. W. R. R., and has been a promoter of other public works. He was born in Washtenaw County, Mich., September 9, 1828; having received an academic education previous to 1850, he entered the law office of Lothrop & Duffield, of Detroit, Mich.; he was admitted to the practice of law in the Supreme Court of Michigan in 1853, soon after which he entered the law office of Wm. H. Seward, of Auburn, N. Y., and in 1854 was admitted, on examination, to practice in the Supreme Court of New York. He was married, January 1, 1855, to Miss Emily Mailey, of Skaneateles, N. Y.; born in the latter place June 26, 1836. They have one son--Clinton H., born February 9, 1867.
W. J. BROATCH, wholesale dealer in hardware.
HON. CHARLES H. BROWN, attorney-at-law, was born at Stephentown, Rensselaer Co., N. Y., and prepared for college at Williston Seminary, Massachusetts, and at Delaware Literary Institute, Franklin, N. Y.; entered Williams College and graduated from there in 1858; he studied law with Seymour & Van Santvoord, of Troy, N. Y. and was admitted to the New York bar in 1860; in June of that year he came to Omaha, and later in the year he crossed the plains on a freighting outfit, driving an ox team. He assisted in the construction of the Pacific Telegraph across the plains. In December, 1861, he returned to Omaha and engaged in clerking for his brothers until October, 1862; he was then elected prosecuting attorney for Douglas County, to fill the vacancy caused by the resignation of George I. Gilbert. Among the important cases he had was that of Cyrus Tator, who was convicted and hung for murder; that was the first legal Christian execution in Nebraska. Mr. B. was re-elected prosecuting attorney for 1863-64, and in the latter year was elected a member of the constitutional convention. In the fall of 1864 he was elected to the Legislature; In 1865-66 he was elected alderman, and in 1867 became Mayor of Omaha, presiding over the city court, tried over 4,000 cases during his term of office. In 1869 he received the full Democratic vote for United States Senator; he was one of the members of the convention which framed the present constitution, and in 1876 was elected to the State Senate, and re-elected in 1878, and is now engaged in the practice of law at Omaha.
C. JEROME BROWNE, Assistant Post Office Inspector, was born in Rockville, Province of Ontario, July 10, 1843, came to the United States in 1868, located in Omaha Neb., and engaged in the car department of the U. P. R. R.; in 1874 engaged with Linseed Oil Co., and was appointed to present position in 1878. He was married in the Province of Ontario, Canada, March 30, 1869, to Miss Ferguson. They have three children--Katie Maud, Olive Carrie, and William Garfield. Mr. B. is a member of the I. O. O. F.
F. D. BROWN, cashier of U. P. R. R., was born in Farmington, Trumbull Co., Ohio, January 19, 1849; up to 1868 he remained at home attending school, after which he came to Omaha and immediately obtained the position of general delivery clerk in the general delivery department of the United States post office, and rose through the different positions of that department of that of chief clerk; in 1869 he became paymaster's clerk in the U. P. R. R., and afterwards express messenger; in September, 1873, he entered the cashier's office as a clerk, and in October, 1880, was appointed to his present position of cashier. He was married to Miss Ellen Woolworth, of Leavenworth, Kan., January 13, 1875. They have one child--Mabel Ella.
GRAHAM P. BROWNE, proprietor of Nebraska Poultry Yards, corner Thirty-eighth and Coburn streets, Omaha; has been in present business for the past ten years, raising large numbers of the finest varieties of chickens; he ships to all points in the West, having a very large trade in all the Western States and Territories, which is rapidly increasing. The principal kinds to be found in his yards are light and dark Brahmas, buff, partridge, white and black Cochins, and other fancy varieties; he has the best buildings and grounds and facilities for poultry breeding in the West, he also deals in thoroughbred Jersey cattle, and Essex and Poland China hogs. He was born in Dubuque, Iowa, in 1861, and came to Omaha with his parents in 1867, attending private schools and the high school in Omaha, receiving a good common school education; he is an enterprising and reliable young man, who, by close attention to his business and upright dealings, has so increased his trade that he is now one of the largest poultry raisers in the West. Has a large and extensive trade in Jersey cattle.
H. R. BROWN, foreman of silver plating department, U. P. R. R., was born at South Boston, State of Mass., November 11, 1848, served an apprenticeship of three years with J. W. Covel & Co., New York City, gold, silver and nickel platers, and brass finishers, manufacturers of coach and harness trimming. Then worked in all the principal cities of the Eastern and Middle States and Canada, and coming West, giving instructions in gold, silver, nickel plating and electrotyping. Arrived in Omaha, 1877, commenced work at U. P. Company Shops as silver plater, in 1880 was appointed foreman of the plating department. Then married Miss Carrie E. Peterson of Des Moines, Iowa, have two children, George E. Stephens and Mabel A.
J. J. BROWN, wholesale and retail dry goods merchant, Bond, Omaha, was born in Stephentown, Rensselaer Co., N. Y. He removed from there to Nebraska, and located at Omaha, in April, 1856. At that time he engaged in the mercantile business and has followed it to the present time. About six years ago he commenced the wholesale business. Mr. Brown has been interested in the Gas Light Co., in the Omaha Street Railway Co., and is now a Director of the Omaha National Bank and Treasurer of the Omaha Driving Park Association.
R. H. BROWN, foreman of sheet iron, tin and copper shop of U. P. R. R., was born in Lanarkshire, Scotland, January 15, 1840. He served an apprenticeship of five years in the City of Glasgow, then carried on business for himself in Rutherglen for three years, from there in 1862, came to the United States, and first worked in tin and steam fitter business in New York City of Ray & Pollack for two years, then went to Old Fort Kearney, Neb., and carried on a shop and upon the building of the U. P. R. R., followed it to Salt Lake, and was the first tinner taking a full set of machinery to that city. Brigham Young having bought out his shop. Mr. Brown returned to Omaha in 1867, and at once was employed as a journeyman in the tin shop of the U. P. R. R., and in August, 1880, was promoted to his present position. He was a member of Royal Arch Lodge of A., F. & A. M. of Scotland, member also of the Unitarian Church. Married Miss Mary Cameron of Rutherglen, Scotland, March 5, 1861, they have seven children living, George, Peter, William, Richard, James, Barbara and Christina. Three died, William Mary and Maggie.
SAMUEL R. BROWN capitalist, native of Mount Vernon, Ohio, came to Omaha in the fall of 1854, and has considered that his residence ever since--although he was away about three years in Colorado, then known as Pike's Peak gold mining country, eighteen months in Montana, two summers in Utah, two winters South and about eighteen months abroad with his family (wife, son and daughter) traveling through the different countries of Europe. Since Mr. Brown came West he has done a general investment business, including merchandise, banking, freighting, mining, real estate and improving the same--he has had extensive pioneer experience and endured many hardships and deprivations, crossed the plains thirteen times before there was a railroad West of the Missouri River above St. Louis.
W. A. BROWN, dealer in all kinds of fresh and salt fish, 1202 Chicago street, Omaha, was born in Dudley, Mass., in 1829 and learned the trade of jeweler in Providence, R. I. After following his trade for twelve years, he went to Pike's Peak in the spring of 1860 but returned in the fall of 1861 to Omaha, when he opened a livery and feed business, which he carried on till 1865, during this time he engaged in furnishing horses for the United States service, Indian department. He then took up the auction and commission business, at Council Bluffs, but left it in 1867 to open a general mercantile business in Nebraska City, which he conducted two years, but after two years he dropped and took the management of the Nebraska City Press, a paper which he ably conducted for nine years, in the meantime, filling his appointment to the postmastership of Nebraska City; He latterly left the management of his paper to the care of his two sons, who now conduct it.
WM. R. BROWN, carpenter and farmer, residence west side of Sherman avenue, north of Elm. He was born in Indiana in 1836, marrying in 1859 Miss Margaret L. Lewin. They have six children, named respectively, Charles O., James M., Mary, Bertie A., Mabel A. and Margaret E. From 1854 to 1862 he followed carpentering and farming, when he came to Omaha. For three years he was engaged in farming and teaming. He then returned to his trade, which he followed until 1874, working the greater part of the time in the U. P. Car shops. Since then, however, he has engaged almost exclusively in farming. Mr. Brown knows much pertaining to the history of the State.
H. H. BROWNING, agent American Express Company, was born in Bradford County, Penn., August 1. 1842. Removed with his parents to Carroll County, Ill., about 1856. During the war was in the Ninety-second Regiment, Co. D, mustered out in 1865. Commenced the express business as messenger for the American Express Company in 1867; was afterwards agent at different points in Illinois. Was appointed to present position in November, 1876. He was married in Mount Morris, Ill., in 1865, to Juliet Harlow. They have two children, Kate and Jessie. Mr. B. is a member of the A., F. & A. M.
G. F. BRUCKER, engineer, born in Germany, June 16, 1842. Came to the United States in 1851, and engaged in engineering on the Illinois River until 1871, when he came to Omaha. He was married in Peoria, Ill., in 1862, to Miss Cecilia Bowman. Mr. B. Is a member of the Sportsman's Club.
HENRY BRUNING, bee culturist. In this business about ten years; has had as high as one hundred stands of bees, though he now has only about twenty. Was born in Prussia, April 28, 1831. Came to the United States in 1848; located for a time in Rochester and Buffalo, N. Y. In 1851 entered the Quartermaster's Department at Leavenworth, Kansas, where he remained some years. Came to Omaha in 1860, and kept a billiard hall until 1867. He was married in St. Joseph, Mo., July 14, 1853, to Margaret Forster. They have eight children: Margaret (now Mrs. C. Mauss), Fred, William, Emma, Frank, Clara, George and Hortense. Mr. B. is a member of the I. O. O. F. and of the "Druids" of St. Joseph, Mo.
CHARLES E. BRUNER, 611 N. Seventeenth street, by occupation, U. S. Mail carrier, Omaha post office. Came to Nebraska July 20, 1866, located in Omaha, and engaged as teacher in public schools; then embarked in the retail grocery business from seven to eight years, and has been letter carrier for eight years. Was born in Lower Saucon, Northampton Co., Penn. Lived in native place until removal to Upper Saucon, Lehigh Co., Penn.; from thence to Quakertown, Bucks Co., Penn.; from there to Omaha. Enlisted, January 1, 1864, in Company A, Third Pennsylvania Cavalry, and participated in all engagements with his command until close of rebellion. Place of operations was Army of the Potomac, and was on provost duty at Gen. Grant's army headquarters. Was mustered out, August 7, 1865, at Richmond, Va. Is identified as charter member of Nebraska Lodge, No. 1, Knights of Pythias, and is Past Grand Chancellor of the order. Is also active member of Lodge St. Johns, No. 25, of Omaha, A., F. & A. M., and is Master Mason. Is also a member of Geo. A. Custer Post., No. 7, of Omaha, Grand Army of the Republic. Is also a member of Omaha Timber and Homestead Colony, organized July 13, 1878, and incorporated under laws of the State; is Treasurer of said colony.
JAMES B. BRUNER, Principal of North Omaha School, was born in Bucks County, Pa., February 2, 1841. Was educated at Bucks County Normal and Classical School; graduated there in 1860. Had ten years' experience in teaching schools previous to coming to Nebraska. In May, 1867, located at Omaha, and engaged in grocery business in company with his brother and other partners; continued in that business until 1871, when he was elected Principal of North Omaha Public School, which position he has filled since. Married at Schuylkill Haven, Pa., in 1866, to Anna K. Wilson, a native of Londonderry, Ireland. They have five children--John W., Mary E., James B., Howard and Carl.
T. C. BRUNNER, groceries and provisions; established in 1868, succeeding Brunner & Hushman. Carries a stock of about $7,000 and his sales amount to $50,000 yearly. He was born in Northampton County, Penn., June 4, 1845. His parents resided near Coopersburg from 1850 to 1857, then removed to Quakertown. When sixteen years old, the subject of this sketch went to Philadelphia and engaged in clerking. He enlisted in 1863 in the One Hundred and Twenty-eighth Pennsylvania Volunteers, and served nine months, during which time he was engaged in the battles of Antietam, Md., Front Royal, battle of Fredericksburg and battle of Chancellorsville. Returned to Philadelphia and traveled for a wholesale grocer house for a time. In 1865 he enlisted in the Two Hundred and Fourteenth Pennsylvania for one year, and served out the term of his enlistment. During this time he was detailed as clerk for Inspector General in Department of West Virginia; after that in Surgeon Department at Washington, D. C., and balance of term in the Quartermaster's Department. Washington, D. C. Returned to Philadelphia and resumed traveling for a time, then engaged in the retail grocery business, he was again traveling and continued in this until he came to Nebraska. He located in Omaha and engaged in the grocery business, firm of B. Swartzlander & Co. He was married in Philadelphia, April 27, 1871, to Miss T. E. Fawdrey, She died in Omaha, leaving two children--George T. and Erdman C. He was married in Omaha to Miss Nellie M. Reed. They have two children--Kaloolah Charlace and Laura Woodman. Mr. B. is a member of the A., F. & A. M., Lodge, Chapter and Commandery.
REV. HENRY BRUNS, Pastor German Methodist Episcopal Church. Born in Germany in September, 1850. Came to America in 1866. Located at St. Louis, Mo. Was ordained as "Deacon" at Burlington, Iowa, in 1876 by Bishop Wiley and ordained "Elder" in 1878 by Bishop Morrill. He then had charge of German Methodist Episcopal Church in York County, Neb., for three years. Came to Omaha September 23, 1881, and entered upon present duties. Married at St. Charles, Mo., in 1875, to Mary Soldermann, native of St. Louis, Mo. They have two children, Oswald and Phillip.
F. B. BRYANT, merchant, was born in 1839 at Rushville, N. Y., and located here in 1866 from Wisconsin. Previous business before locating here was a bookkeeper in a banking house for about four years, at Madison, Wis., and in 1861 enlisted as private in the Twelfth Wisconsin Infantry, Company C. George E. Bryant, Colonel. During the war was at the battles of Vicksburg, Atlanta, Savannah, etc. was mustered out in 1865, as First Lieutenant. Then went to St. Louis and was cashier in the depot of Quartermaster's Department for one year, and was transferred to the Department of the Platte in the same capacity for about four years. For six years following book-keeper for Caldwell, Hamilton & Co., bankers. In 1878 was engaged in the Union Pacific express office in the auditor's department for about three years, and in August, 1881, opened up a wholesale crockery and glassware house here. Was married here September, 1878, to Miss J. L. Holtzinger, who was born at Mount Pleasant, Iowa. Has two children, both boys. Member of State Grand Lodge, also Omaha Lodge No. 2, I. O. O. F.
ALEXANDER G. BUCHANAN, foreman in Boyd's packing house. Mr. B. has 165 men under his supervision at the average wages of $2 per day. They kill 1,200 hogs per day on an average, but their running capacity is 1,500 per day. Mr. B. located in Omaha in January, 1875, first going in and working as a common hand in the above house, and worked in same house until he was finally promoted to foreman in 1880. They have an extensive trade in the Western States and Territories, reaching to the Pacific coast and as far east and south as Atlanta, Ga. The subject of this sketch was born in Zanesville, Ohio, August 18, 1854, where he lived until he came West. He attended the Zanesville public schools in the city, where he graduated at the age of sixteen years. He then learned the business of druggist. He was married in Omaha, September 25, 1879, to Miss Sadie Schwalenberg, who was born in Lock Haven Pa., in 1860.
J. M. BUCHAHAN, book-keeper Reed, Jones & Co. Native of Ohio and came to Nebraska in 1878. Has been connected with mercantile industries since 1874.
S. F. BUCKLEY, foreman printing office, Omaha Deaf and Dumb Institute. Was born in Anderson County, Ky., April 11, 1851. Removed with his parents to Illinois in 1857. In 1873 he came to Omaha, Neb., and entered the Institute as a pupil. Was instructed in printing and has held his present position about six years. He was married at the Institute, August 28, 1879, to Miss Nannie B. Clayton, of Pottawattamie County, Iowa.
MICHAEL A. BURD, proprietor of a wood yard on Harney street, between Twelfth and Thirteenth streets. He is doing a fair business, working two teams and employing three men. He was born in Fayette County, Pa., June 19, 1849. He came to Omaha, Neb., in March, 1869, living there about six months, then going to Elk Horn Valley, in Madison County, where he farmed a short time but soon returned to Omaha. He was employed in a packing house two years after which he worked in the wood yard seven years which he now owns. He was married in Fayette County, Pa., in 1867, to Miss Mary E. Stewart, who was born in the latter county. They have three children, Charles S., George A., and Mary E.
CHARLES E. BURMESTER, cashier and correspondent for Iler & Co., Was born in Hamburg, Germany, June 29, 1844. Came to the United States in 1857. Located at St. Joseph, Mo., where he learned the printer's trade. Enlisted June 11, 1861, in Company B. First Nebraska Volunteers. Served two years, then mustered out and entered the Quartermaster's Department of Missouri, remaining until 1865. He then moved to Nebraska, locating in Omaha, October, 1865, and engaged as book-keeper, with M. Rogers & Son., remaining with them until February, 1873, since which time he has been with Messrs. Iler & Co. He was married in Omaha, May 20, 1871, to Mrs. J. C. Meyer, of Omaha. They have one child, Charles E. Jr. Mr. B. is a member of the Turn Verein Concordia Society, and of the Glee Club and Standard Club.
[Portrait of N. J. Burnham]
HON. NATHAN J. BURNHAM, district attorney, came to Nebraska, May 18, 1873, and was until September of that year associated with Hon. G. W. Doane. Since that time he has engaged in practice alone. He has been district attorney since 1880. Mr. Burnham was born in Carbondale, Luzerne Co., Pa., June 8, 1848. He enlisted in the One Hundred and Ninety-seventh Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry in June, 1864, and was mustered out that fall. He was educated at Saunders' Military Institute, Philadelphia, and graduated at the National University, Washington, D. C. in 1872. He was admitted to the bar in 1869, at Richmond, Va., He was married in Omaha, October 5, 1875 to Mary Clark Morgan, a native of Binghamton, N. Y. He is a son of Judge-Advocate Burnham, of the United States Army. Mr. Burnham was elected district Attorney in November, 1880, by a majority of 1,556, in a district that was Democratic prior to that time. He has three children living, Helen Morgan, Horace Bloise, and Olive; he lost two children in infancy. Mr. Burnham is a Royal Arch Mason, Lafayette Chapter, Washington, D. C., and Columbia Lodge No. 3 of the same place.
LEAVITT BURNHAM, land commissioner of the Union Pacific R. R. Co., (Union Div.) Was born in Essex, Essex Co., Mass., Sept. 8, 1844. Was taught the business of vessel building at which in its various branches--and farming--he worked during minority. Early education limited to country district school and terminating at the age of sixteen years. In 1867 came to Nebraska and engaged in Government surveys. Was recalled by death of his father. Remained away till spring of 1869, during the interval traveling through the South as correspondent of Boston Herald and other papers. Returned to Nebraska in 1869 and again engaged in Government Surveys. In 1870 became Deputy Clerk of the United States Courts for the District of Nebraska, remaining eighteen months in this position, studying law meanwhile. Retired to enter the office of A. J. Poppleton, General Attorney, U. P. R. R. Co., where, after admission to the bar, was employed in the legal service of the company till 1877, when he withdrew to engage in general law practice. In 1878 was asked to take position of land commissioner of the U. P. R. R. Co. Was married in 1873. Has three children, two sons and one daughter.
MASON W. BURNHAM, locomotive engineer, U. P. R. R., was born in Essex, Mass., June 22, 1851. He came to Nebraska in July, 1870; located in Omaha, and was employed until August, 1871, as a civil engineer; then for five months employed in the engineer corps building of the U. P. R. R. bridge over the Missouri River. He entered the employ of the U. P. R. R. in November, 1872, as a fireman; was employed in that capacity for three years and three months; was then appointed locomotive engineer, and has continued in that capacity since. He was married in Osceola, Neb., May 12, 1880, to Aggie Grinnell, a native of Moline, Ill. They have one daughter, Inez.