|SECTION 1: The Early Days||SECTION 2: More Early Days|
|SECTION 3: Omaha in 1870||SECTION 4: Present Day (1882)|
|SECTION 5: Crimes||SECTION 6: Fires and Public Works|
|SECTION 7: Health, Parks, Mail||SECTION 8: The Press in Omaha|
|SECTION 9: Press Continued||SECTION 10: Religious|
|SECTION 11: Religious (cont.)||SECTION 12: Cemetery and Schools|
|SECTION 13: Legal and Medical||SECTION 14: Opera House-Hotels-Business|
|SECTION 15: Societies||SECTION 16: Societies (Cont.)|
|SECTION 17: Business||SECTION 18: Manufacturing|
|SECTION 19: Manufacturing (cont.)|
20 - 46:
** Omaha Biographical Sketches **|
| ABLE~BARRIGER | BARTLETT~BOYD | BOYER~BURNHAM |
| BURR~CONKLING | COFFMAN~CREIGHTON |
| CRITTENTON~DIETZ | DINSMOOR~FAWCETT |
| FEARON~GAYLORD | GELATTE~GROSSMANN |
| GROSS~HAVENS | HAWES~HOILE |
| HOLDREDGE~JORGENSEN | JOSLYN~LEISENRING |
| LEHMAN~LOWE | LUDINGTON~MARHOFF |
| MANNING~MILLER | MILLSPAUGH~NINDEL |
| O'CONNOR~PEABODY | PAUL~READ | REDICK~ROGERS |
| ROSENBERY~SCOTT | SEAMAN~SIMPSON | SINCERE~STONE |
| STORZ~UMPHRESON | URLAU~WILBUR | WILDE~WOOD |
| WOODARD~ZEHRUNG | West Omaha Precinct | Douglas Precinct |
List of Illustrations in Douglas County Chapter
ABRAHAM ROSENBERY, planing mill, contractor and builder, was born in Franklin County, Pa., in 1843. Learned trade of carpenter there, and in 1864 he came to Nebraska. Located in Omaha and was employed as a journeyman carpenter for four years, and hauled ties for U. P. R. R. Co. about six months. He then began business as a builder and contractor which he has continued ever since. From 1879 to 1881 was in partnership with his brother, S. R. Rosenbery, and while with him entered into the planing mill business in the spring of 1881. Mr. A. Rosenbery took the mill at time of dissolution, and is engaged in conducting it in connection with other business. He built the Masonic temple in 1878 and some of the prominent business buildings of Omaha. Employs twenty-five men in mill, and from thirty to forty men on outside buildings.
JACOB ROSENFIELD, dealer in clothing, gents' furnishing goods, guns, revolvers, watches, trunks, valises, etc., 322 Tenth and 1009 Farnam streets, Omaha. Mr. Rosenfield was born in Roumania, 1842. In 1874 he came to this county, and settled in Omaha. In 1875 he began the present business, which he has so successfully carried on as to open out the new store on Farnam street. In 1867 he was married in Roumania, to Miss Haie Morris. They have a family of three daughters, Hannah, Rachel, and Ella, and one son Julius.
ANDREW ROSEWATER, city engineer. He was born October 31, 1848, in the village of Buckowan, Bohemia. Came to America with his parents, in 1854, establishing his residence in the city of Cleveland, Ohio, and attended public schools there nine years, leaving that place for Omaha, in March, 1864. Two weeks after reaching Omaha, he joined an exploring party to examine into the practicability of a railroad to the Pacific coast. Explored the routes through Cheyenne and Bridger's passes, also through Laramie Canon, and extended surveys as far as Green River, Utah, that season. In 1865 he was engaged in construction work of the U. P. R. R., in the vicinity of Omaha. In 1866 he was appointed inspector of ties and bridge material on the U. P. R. R., with headquarters at Omaha. This position he held until the spring of 1867, when he was again engaged in the surveys and explorations in the Rocky Mountain district. In the spring of 1868 he accepted the position of Assistant City Engineer of Omaha. That year published the first detailed county map of Douglas County, and was appointed to office of County Surveyor, by the county commissioners. This and the city office was jointly held for two years. In 1870 was appointed by the city council to office of City Engineer, and shortly after resigned the county office. In 1871 was defeated at an election by J. E. House, but was again elected and served two successive terms from 1872 to 1874, when he retired from public office, and assumed the duties of business manager and associate editor of the Omaha Bee. In 1878 he withdrew from journalistic profession, and again resumed vocation of civil engineer. Served the Omaha, Chicago and St. Paul R. R., as engineer, in charge of construction, under J. E. House, superintendent and chief engineer, from the spring of 1879 for nearly one and a half years. Opened a private engineering office in Omaha in the spring of 1880, and served as resident engineer of the Omaha Water Works Company till April, 1881, when accepted the position of City Engineer of Omaha, in which capacity he is still serving. Among other works engaged in during intervals, was as engineer in charge of the survey of a railway line in 1871, from Papillion, Sarpy County, to Ashland, Cass County, and from the latter place up the Wahoo Valley, and across Skull Creek to Columbus, also from Fremont to Lincoln. Also a State road from Omaha to Lincoln via Papillion and Ashland under special legislative enactment of 1870.
JULIUS ROSS, proprietor American House, 920 Douglas street, between Ninth and Tenth streets. The hotel contains eighteen rooms and has accommodations for fifty guests. He settled in Omaha, April 1, 1867, and kept a boarding house, then a restaurant and saloon, after which he engaged in his present business. He was born in Germany, December 9, 1836. Emigrated to America in 1859. He was married in Germany, in 1859, to Lizzetta Heer, who was born in Hesse, Germany. She died in Baltimore, Md., in 1860. He was again married in 1861, in Washington, D. C., to Louise Ross. They have eight children--Lizzie, now married and living in Galveston, Tex., John, Lena, John Julius, Mena, Katie, George and Rosa. Mr. Ross is a member of the Oriental Lodge, No. 19, of I. O. O. F. of Washington, D. C. He is also a member of the Masonic Benevolent Society No. 1790 of Iowa. He was drafted twice during the war, which cost him $1,700. He kept the finest restaurant in the city, from 1867 to 1869.
THOMAS O. ROSSITER, molder, in the employ of U. P. R. R. Co., was born on October 31, 1845, in County Wicklow, Ireland, and located here in 1870, coming from Cleveland, Ohio, where he was engaged in the foundry business. From 1870 to 1879 was farming in Platte County, Neb. Then on the 17th of November, 1879, was engaged by the U. P. R. R. Co., as molder in their factory. Was teamster for the Seventh Ohio Cavalry, and at the battle of Mt. Sterling, Ky. Discharged in 1865. Married in September, 1868, to Lucy Carter, who was born August, 1850 at Quebec. Has six children--five sons and one daughter. Belongs to the Iron Molders' Union, has been a member for the last twelve years.
AMASA A. ROTH, foreman of Omaha Foundry. He has the supervision of fifteen men, who work in the foundry. Mr. R. located in Omaha in May, 1881, and took charge in his present situation at that time. He was born in Schenectady, N. Y., 17th of March, 1843. His parents lived there until he was seven years of age, when they moved to Knoxville, Tenn. He lived there about twenty-two years, during which time he learned the foundry business, moulding, etc. He enlisted April 14, 1862, in Company G, Sixth Regiment, Tennessee Infantry. He was in the campaign of Georgia four months with Gen. Sherman, and participated in the battles of Chickamauga; and many skirmishes, and was mustered out at Nashville, Tenn., in 1865. He was married in Knoxville, Tenn., in 1869, to Miss Lena Fouth, who was born in Richmond, Va. They have three children--George, Charlotte and Roy.
COL. WILLIAM ROYALL, Acting Assistant Inspector-General, on the Staff of Gen. George Crook, commanding the department of the Platte, is a native of Virginia, but was reared in Missouri. At the breaking out of the Mexican war, Col. Royall left the University of Columbia, Mo., taking with him many of his classmates, was made a Lieutenant of the Second Regiment of Missouri Volunteers, commanded by Gen. Sterling Price, marched across the plains with his regiment to Santa Fe, N. M.; was engaged in several combats with the enemy; served during the entire war with Mexico. In consideration of service in Mexico and on the plains, on the 3d of March, 1855, Col. Royall received the appointment of First Lieutenant Second Regiment of Cavalry, U. S. A., commanded by Gen. Sidney Johnston; served on the frontier of Texas with his regiment; was engaged in Northern Texas in many battles under Gen. George H. Thomas, then Major of the regiment and with Brevet Major Earl Van Dorn. When our civil war broke out, Col. Royall was in Texas; escaped capture, and embarked at Indianola by steamer sent for the regiment, to New York. At Carlisle, Pa., the regiment was re-mounted and, under Gen. Thomas, then the Colonel participated in the combats of Falling Waters, and in 1862, the battles of the Peninsula, under Gen. McClellan. Until the 13th of June, 1862, when Col. Royall was wounded very severely--receiving six sabre cuts, which rendered him unfit for further field duty during the war--he received three brevets for the different battles; Major, Lieutenant-Colonel and Colonel. After the war, Col. Royall was on duty in the Southern States. In 1868, Col. Royall took the field with a battalion of his regiment against the hostile Indians infesting Kansas. He served in Kansas, Nebraska and Wyoming, and in Arizona, under Gen. Crook. In the Big Horn and Yellowstone expedition of 1876, the Third Cavalry and a battalion of five companies of the Second Cavalry were placed under Col. Royall's command, by Gen. Crook. On June 17, 1876, Col. Royall participated in one of the hardest fought battles that ever occurred, with the hostile Sioux, in Gen. Crook's Big Horn expedition, which has made the then hostile tribe a peaceful nation, and has opened up in the West a large and fertile country for farming and stock raising purposes.
W. H. RUSSELL, stock dealer, resident north side Franklin, between Campbell and Irene streets, Omaha. He was born in Green County, Tenn., in 1824, living there till 1842. He came to Nebraska, settled in Washington County in 1855, where he lived till 1876, engaged in operating a large saw and grist mill; in that year he engaged in this business, dealing very extensively in live stock. Since he came to Omaha, in 1876, he has handled only dairy and butcher stock. He was married in 1854, to Miss Paulina E. Ronig, who died in Omaha, in 1863, leaving one son, Levi H. In 1865 he married Miss Sarah E. Trisler. They have one daughter and one son, Julia Z., and Elsworth Z. Mr. R. did not enjoy the privileges of a common school education, having learned to write after he was twenty-three years of age, but by close application, he has obtained an education sufficient for ordinary business.
JOHN RUSH, County Treasurer of Douglas County, settled in Omaha, in July, 1866. Up to 1873 he engaged in teaching in the Douglas County public schools, being for one year in the Omaha city schools. For four years thereafter, he was County Superintendent of Schools, in said county. On January 1, 1877, he became Deputy County Treasurer, and was elected to the Treasurer's office, November 8, 1881. He was born in County Mayo, Ireland, September 8, 1843, emigrating to America in May, 1865. Prior to coming to Omaha, he resided in Cincinnati, Ohio. He was married at Omaha, March 1, 1868 to Annie Elizabeth Ferry. She was born in County Donegal, Ireland. They have seven children, May Ellen, James Patrick, Margaret, Katie, Annie, Gertrude, and Madeline. Mr. Rush is a member of the Land League, one of the Executive Committee of the Union Catholic Library Association, and a member of the Catholic Church. During his residence in Cincinnati, he was principal of Archbishop Purcell's schools.
C. B. RUSTIN, is a native of Rutland County, Vt., where he was born March 29, 1836. He resided there until March, 1852, when he removed to Ohio, and was engaged with a civil engineering corps, having his headquarters at Akron. He removed to southeastern Iowa, in 1853. In 1855 he located at Sioux City, where he resided until 1864, when he located at Omaha, and was connected with the ferry and transfer after the railroad was built, subsequently he was freight agent for the Chicago & Northwestern Railroad, until the pool arrangement was established, after which he represented the pool lines, until the completion of the bridge across the Missouri River. In 1872 he resigned his position in order to devote his whole attention to the duties of the office of secretary and treasurer of the Omaha Smelting Works, of which he afterward became president in 1878, severed his connection with that institution, and interested himself with mining and smelting in Leadville, in 1880; sold out Leadville interests, and at present operating in Idaho.
MRS. A. RYAN, proprietress Central Dining Hall. She began the business in 1865, at which date she located in Omaha. She was born in Toronto, Canada, February, 1839. Her husband's name was M. Ryan. They have one daughter, named Mary Ryan.
CHARLES A. SALTER, engineer of Omaha Steam Fire Engine, No. 3, taking the same to superintend and run in 1878. He has five men under his supervision at the average wages of $65 per month; Engineer's pay is $90 per month. He located in Omaha. in 1872, and first engaged as engineer for the Herald Office about four years, then engaged in his present location, first as stoker, two and one-half years, since which he has been engineer. He was born in Harrington, N. J., June 23, 1853. From New Jersey his parents moved to Moline, Ill., where he lived twelve years, then moved to Wilton Junction, Iowa, and lived four years, then to Durant, Iowa, and various places in that State. He is a member of the association styled the Chosen Friends, a mutual aid society.
ALBERT H. SANDER, proprietor of a flour and feed store, wholesale and retail, 2402 Cuming st., began business in 1868. He has largely increased his business since beginning. He located in Omaha, in 1865, and clerked two years in a brewery house, after which he engaged in his present business. He was born in Germany, January 15, 1842, emigrated to America in 1859. He went to California in 1861, engaged two years in mining. Then went to Maryland and clerked in a store two years, until 1865. He was married in Council Bluffs, Iowa, in 1869, to Miss Margaret Nuesslein who was born in Baltimore. They have six children named Paulina, Ellenora, Albert, Adella, Henrietta and Emil.
W. O. SANDERS, retired jeweler, was born and brought up to Sheffield, England, and came to America in 1869, and settled in Omaha, where he prosecuted his business under the firm name of Whipple & Sanders, until 1874, when he retired from activity in the business, through the impairment of his eyesight, since which time he has taken a prominent position among the musical artists of this locality.
GEO. F. SAUER, director of the Philomathean Club, Omaha, was born and reared in Buffalo, N. Y., in 1853. He took up the study of music at the age of thirteen years, which he followed in this country for six years. He then went to Leipsic, Germany, and graduated in the Royal Conservatory of Music, in July, 1875; in the fall of the same year he returned home. In the summer of 1876 he appeared in Omaha, in the role of violin soloist. He subsequently returned to his home, and after a professional career of about one year and a half, he went to Germany, and was accepted as a member of the celebrated Gewandhaus orchestra, at Leipsic; filled an engagement of two and one half years, after which he returned home. He soon after came to Omaha, and originated the present club which he has successfully conducted since.
GEO. SAULTER, farmer, was born in Chautauqua County, N. Y., in 1856. Settled in Nebraska, in 1856, with his father, Michael Saulter, who died in 1877, leaving George, with a younger brother and sister, to take care of themselves. George then commenced the improvement of a farm, east of and close to the city limits of Omaha. Michael Saulter was born in Germany, in 1830, locating in Buffalo, May 1, going from there to Chautauqua County, where he remained until he settled in Nebraska.
[Portrait of A. Saunders]
HON. ALVIN SAUNDERS, United States Senator, was born in Fleming County, Ky., ten miles from Flemingsburg, July 12, 1817. He is a son of Grinnell Saunders, a native of Virginia, and of Mary Mauzy, also of Virginia. His father was a farmer. When twelve years of age they left Kentucky and moved to near Springfield, Ill., where young Alvin lived for seven years. He received his education in the county schools. In 1836 he persuaded his parents to let him go to the New Blackhawk Purchase in Iowa and located at Mount Pleasant, Iowa, then a hamlet of a dozen houses. Here he clerked in a dry goods store; and finally went into partnership with an elder brother. He was appointed first Postmaster of Mount Pleasant. In 1846 he was elected to the State Constitutional Convention which formed the constitution under which the State of Iowa was admitted into the Union. In 1854 he was elected to the Iowa State Senate and was re-elected in 1858. He served as a Delegate to the first Iowa Republican State Convention and also to the Chicago Convention in 1860 where he voted for Lincoln. In 1861 Lincoln appointed him Governor of Nebraska and he served in that capacity for six years, when the State was admitted into the Union. He was an earnest advocate of the Union Pacific Railroad and helped that enterprise in the extent of his power. In 1868 he was a delegate to the Republican National Convention at Chicago. He continued in private life until the winter of 1876-77, when he was elected United States Senator to succeed P. W. Hitchcock. Mr. Saunders has two children, Charles and Mamie. His term in the Senate expires March 4, 1883. He has been prominently identified with the banking interest of Omaha. For many years he was connected with the First National Bank. Later he founded the State Bank of Nebraska.
PLATT SAUNDERS market gardener, Section 24, Town 15, Range 13, was born in Poultney, Rutland Co., Vt., January 1, 1810. In 1820 he went to Whitehall, N. Y. State. In 1831 went to Upper Canada, Prince Edward's District, where he worked at wagon making until 1838, when he removed to Marshall, Mich., and worked at painting business six years, then went to Chicago, where he engaged in ship painting, then went to Dubuque, Iowa. In 1868, where he opened a paint shop. He came to Nebraska in 1872, located at Omaha, where he followed freighting a short time and then turned his attention to market gardening and fruit growing. Was married in Canada in 1830, to Elizabeth R. McGuneon, of Scotland, and has six children, Jane A., Elizabeth, Percy, G. P., J. K., and Murray.
HON. JAMES W. SAVAGE, came to Omaha in 1867 and engaged in law practice until he was elected Judge of the District Court in the fall of 1875. In 1879 he was re-elected. He was elected by the Legislature Regent of the State University in 1873 and held the office until 1875. The Judge has taken much interest in the Pre-Territorial History of the Northwest. He was born in Bedford, Hillsboro Co., N. H. February 2, 1826. That was his home until he was fifteen years of age, when he entered Phillips Academy. In 1843 he entered the Harvard and graduated there in 1847. He then taught for a year in the family of T. Butler King, on St. Simon's Island, off the coast of Georgia. In 1848 he went to Litchfield, Conn., and studied law under Origen S. Seymour and was admitted in 1850 to Connecticut. He immediately removed to New York City and practiced there until July 22, 1861, when he entered the army, being on the staff of Gen. John C. Fremont, with rank of Captain. Served with him until he was removed from command in November, 1861. Then served in Washington until March, 1862, when Fremont was re-instated, and was then made Lieutenant Colonel of Fremont's staff. Having been Major before the General was first removed. He continued with Fremont until August, 1862, early in 1863 he applied for leave to raise a regiment and receiving the necessary authority from Gov. Seymour he got a leave of absence from the war department, and raised the Twelfth New York Cavalry. Two battalions went to the front in August, 1863, and he followed with the third battalion in November, 1863. He went to North Carolina where the regiment was employed in skirmishing and doing guard duty until Sherman came through to Goldsboro, in February or March, 1865. The regiment was then assigned to Kilpatrick's division and continued in duty. He was finally mustered out August 6, 1865, at Hart's Island, Long Island sound. In the fall of 1865 he went to Mississippi and engaged until March, 1867, in planting cotton near Rodney. He was married at Derry, Rockingham Co., N. H., April 29, 1875 to Lucy, daughter of Alanson Tucker, then Mrs. Lucy Morris. The Judge is a corresponding member of the historical societies of New Hampshire, Wisconsin and Missouri.
DE FORREST W. SAXE, proprietor of Saxe's Opera House Pharmacy, drugs, fancy goods, etc. In business alone since May, 1880, then succeeded D. W. Saxe & Co. The business is exclusively drugs and prescriptions, and the yearly sales will aggregate $20,000 to $22,000. The sales of soda water alone during the season of 1881 amounted to $2,800. Mr. Saxe was born in Sheldon, Franklin Co., Vt., August 20, 1858, received his education at Fort Edward Institute, N. Y., and the Vermont Seminary, at Montpelier, Vt., was for a number of years in his brother's drug store in Sheldon, Vt., and at the age of seventeen years had entire charge of the business. About 1878 he moved to St. John, P. Q., Canada, where his father was Consul for the United States, attended school, studied French, etc., until March, 1879, then moved to Nebraska, locating at Omaha, and took a position in the office of the B. & M. R. R. Remaining until September of the same year., Then formed a partnership with C. M. Wead, under the firm name of D. W. Saxe & Co. Mr. Saxe is a member of the Pleasant Hours Club, also of the Sans Ceremonie.
CAPT. W. P. SCHAAF, W. P. Schaaf & Co., proprietors of the Fair, was born in Syracuse, N. Y., in 1846. He learned the profession of "coacher" at that place, and has had twelve years experience in teaching long range rifle shooting and in fact shooting in all its branches, including archery, etc. Has been engaged at his profession in the States of Ohio, Michigan, Pennsylvania, New York and Missouri, principally in teaching National Guards Associations. He came to Nebraska, November 17, 1881, located at Omaha, and opened the Fair in company with J. B. Dunham, who is a man of large experience in mercantile business. They carry a stock of novelties, fancy goods, etc.
SCHERB & Co., grocers, firm is composed of Ignace Scherb and William Latey, started in business in 1881 and carried a stock of about $4,000. Ignace Scherb, of firm of Scherb & Co., was born in France July 22, 1832. In 1853 he came to the United States and located in Buffalo, N. Y., for about one year, then removed to Nebraska and engaged in farming near Omaha for about nine years, then moved into Omaha, and engaged in the bakery business. Three years later he visited Europe, remaining about two years traveling, returned to the Untied States and in 1873, engaged in the liquor business in Omaha, continuing in this trade until 1878. He was appointed delegate from Nebraska to the Paris Exposition, and was in Europe from June to October. On his return he spent a few months in Leadville, Colo., then settled in Omaha, and organized present firm. He was married in Omaha July 2, 1863, to Miss Caroline Latey. She was born in England. They have two children, Eugene and Emily.
JOE SCHLECHTER, engineer, Metz Bros. Brewery, Omaha, was born in Germany, 1843 and came to America in 1872 and lived in Racine, Wis., till 1877, when he came here and has followed his profession here since. He has one little boy, John.
LOUIS P. SCHIELD, contractor and builder, came to Nebraska in 1860 and located in Omaha. He commenced business shortly after his arrival, as a contractor and builder and has continued in that line since, from 1861 to 1880 he was also engaged in the manufacture of brick. He employs some ten men, had the contract for the plastering, etc., of the Capitol building in 1860 and of the Douglas County Court House in 1861. He built the Commercial (business) Block and Empire House in 1863. Bauman's brewery in 1864 and numerous other prominent business buildings.
WILLIAM F. SCHMID, proprietor Omaha House, built in 1871, eighteen rooms, accommodations for 125 guests, employs twelve hands. He settled in Omaha in 1876 and first kept the above hotel one year, also had charge and kept the City Hotel and Occidental House at the same time, which he ran about one year. Then dropped the Omaha House and kept the other two one year and dropped the City Hotel. He kept the Atlantic House three years, finally sold out, went West and began a cattle ranche, which he continued a short time, returned and again began business in the Omaha House. He was born in Germany, August 11, 1847. Emigrated to America in 1856. He was married in Columbus, Neb., in 1880 to Miss Mary Sausen, who was born in Germany. He is a member of the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Omaha.
OTTO SCHNEIDEWIND, fireman, in station engine No. 1, for U. P. R. R. shops, came to Omaha in 1870 and worked in a lumber yard two years, since which he has been in the employ of the above company. He was born in Sondershausen, Prussia, Germany. September 12, 1837. He came to America in 1861. He enlisted in Company G, Sixteenth Regiment, Michigan Infantry and participated in thirty two engagements, was wounded in his right limb in second battle of Bull Run. Was mustered out in Jeffersonville, Ind., in June, 1865. Was one year in Detroit, Mich. Re-enlisted in Forty-third Veteran Reserve Corps and served three years in regular service. After his discharge he came to Omaha. Was married in Detroit, Mich., in 1868 to Louisa Frederick, who was born in Germany March 7, 1849. They have five children, Matilde, Eda I., Emma L., Otto and Frederick. Mr. Schneidewind is a member of the G. A. R. of Custer Post, of Omaha.
FERDINAND SCHROEDER, proprietor Sunday shaving parlor, 1510 Farnam street, was born in the city of Flensburg, Province of Schleswig-Holstein, October 13, 1853, and came to this country March 17, 1869, and to Omaha March 13, 1872, and has carried on his present business successfully since. In 1877 he was married to Miss Estella Metz. She was born in Nebraska, February, 1860. They have one daughter, Clara.
LOUIS SCHROEDER, wholesale butter and egg merchant, came to Omaha in the fall of 1867, where he continued in the employment of Morgan & Gallagher, wholesale grocers. He was born in Prussia, April 11, 1842, coming to America in 1866. He lived in New York one year prior to coming to Omaha. He was married in Omaha in October, 1871, to Margaret Simonson, a native of Holstein, Germany. They have four children, Ernest, Anna, Louisa and Paulina. He is associated in business with Hon. John A. McShane.
SCHROTER & BECHT, proprietors of the Opera House Pharmacy 211 S. Fifteenth, and of a drug store northeast corner of Thirteenth and Jackson streets. The present firm was established in February, 1881. They do an exclusively retail business. Their first year's trade amounted to about $19,000. Alfred Schroter came to Omaha in the spring of 1868, and has engaged in the drug business ever since. He was born in Guttenberg, Germany, June 21, 1848, and came to America in 1866. He located at Philadelphia prior to coming here. Mr. S. has been in the drug business for twenty years, having commenced it when only fourteen years of age. He was married in Decatur, Burt Co., Neb., to Martha T. Dewsenberry, a native of Missouri. They have two children, William Percival and Minnie.
JOHN A. SCOTT, boss nailer, Omaha Iron and Nail Company, was born in Richmond, Va., January 10, 1827. He learned trade of nailer at Pittsburgh, Pa., and was employed in that capacity there until 1866, then at Wheeling, Va., two years, at Covington, Ky., in the Licking Iron Works two and a half years, afterwards as nailer at Martin's Ferry, Ohio, for nine months, then again at Pittsburgh, Pa., for two years, afterwards at Brown's Iron Works, South Chicago, Ill., for three years. Came to Omaha November 8, 1881, and engaged with this company. Mr. Scott was married at Pittsburgh, Pa., March 28, 1855, to Eliza Jane Rainaley, she died January 10, 1862, leaving four children, Elizabeth C., Margaret R. John R., employed with Omaha Iron and Nail Company and Frank A. Mr. Scott was again married at Baltimore, Md., February 29, 1869 to Annie E. Stigers, a native of that place. They have three children, Florence, Oellig B., and George Washington.
W. H. SCOTT, assistant to general superintendent of Pullman Car Company, was born in Flushing, Long Island, March 24, 1856. Was first employed as cashier in large general merchandise house of Clement & Bloodgood at Flushing, then bookkeeper in a lumber yard and planing mill in same place, then for four years connected with a large fire insurance agency in New York City, then employed in lumber yard. In 1877 came to Omaha, and was first employed in an engineer corps in Idaho on the Utah Northern Railroad, then in Tekamah in general merchandise business for a year, then returned to Omaha and was employed in engineer corps on the Niobrara branch of the Union Pacific Railroad. Then kept books for Frank Ramge, tailor in Omaha. Then engaged as conductor in Pullman Pacific Car Company, in August, 1880 was appointed clerk and ticket agent, and in June, 1881 appointed to his present position. Is a member of Omaha Council No. 34 Home Circle. Married Miss Mary M. Rust of Vermont June 10, 1878. Have two children Alice M. And Francis R.