|SECTION 1: The Early Days||SECTION 2: More Early Days|
|SECTION 3: Omaha in 1870||SECTION 4: Present Day (1882)|
|SECTION 5: Crimes||SECTION 6: Fires and Public Works|
|SECTION 7: Health, Parks, Mail||SECTION 8: The Press in Omaha|
|SECTION 9: Press Continued||SECTION 10: Religious|
|SECTION 11: Religious (cont.)||SECTION 12: Cemetery and Schools|
|SECTION 13: Legal and Medical||SECTION 14: Opera House-Hotels-Business|
|SECTION 15: Societies||SECTION 16: Societies (Cont.)|
|SECTION 17: Business||SECTION 18: Manufacturing|
|SECTION 19: Manufacturing (cont.)|
20 - 46:
** Omaha Biographical Sketches **|
| ABLE~BARRIGER | BARTLETT~BOYD | BOYER~BURNHAM |
| BURR~CONKLING | COFFMAN~CREIGHTON |
| CRITTENTON~DIETZ | DINSMOOR~FAWCETT |
| FEARON~GAYLORD | GELATTE~GROSSMANN |
| GROSS~HAVENS | HAWES~HOILE |
| HOLDREDGE~JORGENSEN | JOSLYN~LEISENRING |
| LEHMAN~LOWE | LUDINGTON~MARHOFF |
| MANNING~MILLER | MILLSPAUGH~NINDEL |
| O'CONNOR~PEABODY | PAUL~READ | REDICK~ROGERS |
| ROSENBERY~SCOTT | SEAMAN~SIMPSON | SINCERE~STONE |
| STORZ~UMPHRESON | URLAU~WILBUR | WILDE~WOOD |
| WOODARD~ZEHRUNG | West Omaha Precinct | Douglas Precinct |
List of Illustrations in Douglas County Chapter
MAJOR M. I. LUDINGTON, Omaha, Neb., was born in Fayette County, Pa., in 1839. Lived in his native State until 1861. Entered the service in 1862, as Captain and Assistant Quartermaster of U. S. Volunteers and assigned to duty in the Army of the Potomac. Subsequently promoted to be Major and Quartermaster of the Volunteers, also Colonel and Chief Quartermaster Department of Washington, and Brevet Brigadier-General of Volunteers. Appointed Major and Quartermaster U. S. Army in January, 1867, Chief Quartermaster District of New Mexico from 1867 to 1870, then on duty in Quartermaster General's office in Washington, D. C. until 1875; then Chief Quartermaster Department of the Platte to date. He is a member of military order of Loyal Legion of United States.
R. H. LUCAS, groceries, provisions and hardware, etc., commenced in 1875 succeeding the firm of Hill & Lucas. Carries a stock of about $5,000 and does a business of about $25,000 yearly. Mr. Lucas was born in Baltimore, Md., in 1836. In 1866 he moved to Nebraska, located in Omaha, and worked for the different railroad companies centering there, until 1874, then went into the grocery business. He was married in Gaines, Orleans Co., N. Y., September 26, 1870, to Harriet E. Rider, of Orleans County.
JOHN W. LYTLE. The subject of this sketch was born in Upper Sandusky, now Fremont, Ohio, June 30, 1836. With his parents removed to near Pittsfield, Pike Co., Ill., in the year 1838. During boyhood, he received a good common school education, at the county log schoolhouse, which was all that Illinois could boast of in those early days. Later, however, he went to the State University at Jacksonville. Between early manhood and active business life then, was an interval which could be better filled than in teaching, which he engaged in, also, in studying law, and was admitted to practice in Illinois in 1861, and in Nebraska in 1867. In the summer of 1864, he enlisted with Capt. Fisks, who with eighty-five men, was sent out by the Government from St. Paul, Minn., for the purpose of exploring and opening up a road from there to Montana via the Yellow Stone River. While near the Little Missouri River, they were attacked by the Uncapapa band of the Sioux Indians, and after a three days battle the Indians withdrew, but with heavy loss. The expedition losing nine killed, and two wounded, remaining for seventeen days in camp, corralled with earth works thrown up for protection, all the time surrounded with these red skins, and harassed on every side. The expedition was finally rescued by Col. Diamond with 800 soldiers, sent out by the Government. Mr. Lytle was also near Julesburg, which was burned by the Indians on the 7th day of January, 1865. After which he settled in Omaha, engaged in the mercantile business. The first gold excitement of the Black Hills found him there, in which he built the first frame house in that region, and since then has been engaged in mercantile pursuits and mining, and is now at the head of the great Yellow Jacket Mining Company, of Colorado. In 1881 he built "Lytle Block," in which the Omaha Board of Trade is now located. He was married October 3, 1866, to Miss Anna B. La Follette, of Omaha, formerly of Platteville, Wis. They have two children--Edward, born 1868, and Emma, 1876. Mr. Lytle is a member of the A., F. & A. M. Chapter, and Commandery also a member of the board of Trade, and has held various local offices during his long residence in Omaha.
JOHN L. McCAGUE, real estate agent, came to Nebraska City in 1866, and moved to Omaha in 1867. Was in the U. P. Railroad employ until March, 1880, when he engaged in the real estate business. He was born in Egypt, Africa, in 1856, of Ohio parentage, and lived in Iowa and Nebraska, after he was six years of age. He is a son of the Rev. Thomas McCague, who established the United Presbyterian American Mission in Egypt, and is now engaged in evangelical work at Omaha. Mr. McCague gives his attention principally to city real estate, and also deals in farm property. He has been very successful for the time he has been engaged in business. He was in the auditing department of the U. P. Railroad while employed in its service.
REV. WILLIAM McCANDLISH, district superintendent Bible Society, residence head of St. Mary's, on Phil Sheridan. He was born September 12, 1810, in Scotland. When seven years old his parents came to America, locating in Cumberland Co., Penn., where he lived until 1831, when he attended Jefferson College, graduating in 1834. He then attended the Western Theological Seminary at Allegheny City, Penn., graduating in 1837. He was soon after licensed by Carlisle Presbytery. He received a call from the Presbyterian Church at Wooster, Ohio, where he remained nearly eleven years. He then went to Lewistown, Ill., remaining there five years. He was next located at Quincy, Ill., for three and one-half years. In September, 1858, he came to Nebraska, locating at Fontanelle, where he remained for several years. He then went to Iowa, remaining three years. In the spring of 1868 he returned to Nebraska, locating at Omaha, and for one year he was general missionary for the State. He was appointed district superintendent for the American Bible Society for the district comprising Nebraska, Colorado and Wyoming Territory. In April, 1869, he had spent forty-four years in the ministry. He was married, September 10, 1839, at Allegheny City, Penn., to Miss H. Maria Howells. They have three sons and one daughter living.
O. P. McCARTY, assistant general ticket agent for the Union Pacific Railroad.
E. A. McCLURE, now Deputy Marshal and Jailer of Omaha City. He landed in Omaha December 21, 1861. His brother-in-law, E. B. Taylor, bought the Republican office in this county. Ran it until 1866, and sold out. He then left Omaha, and went as trader to the Winnebago Indians four years in Northern Nebraska. He moved back to Omaha, 1871, and began the manufacture of crackers, on Harney street. He went in the above in company with E. V. Smith, and sold out to him in 1878. In 1879 he was appointed on the police force, and was engaged on same one year, and in April, 1881, he was appointed to his present position. He was born in Butler County, Ohio, November 18, 1824. Was married in Greenville, Darke Co., Ohio, in 1856 to Miss Jane Studebaker. She was born in the latter county, in Ohio. They had seven children, Harry, May, Elisabeth (Emily J., deceased), Fred, Frank and George A.
J. A. McCLURE, teacher Omaha Deaf and Dumb Institute, was born in LaSalle County, Ill., December 21, 1837. In 1838, removed with his parents to Des Moines County, Iowa. Mr. McC. received his education at Yellow Springs College, in that county. From about 1857 he was engaged in teaching in various places in Iowa (excepting three years and one month spent in the service of his country during the war of the Rebellion, in Company K, Fourteenth Regiment Iowa Infantry Volunteers), until 1873, in which year he settled in Omaha, Neb., and took his present position. He was married in Perry County, Ill., March 27, 1860, to Miss Jennie Campbell, of Perry County. They have seven children; Edwin S., Ada J., William J., Dwight F., Lillie May, Bertha J. and Hattie G. Mr. McClure is a member of the Presbyterian Church.
ROBERT McCONNELL, division master mechanic of Union Pacific Railroad was born in Philadelphia, February 10,1818. At sixteen years of age he learned trade of machinist, and worked part of that time in cotton mill, completing his time in a stationary engine shop. From 1838 worked in Pottsville, Pa., in the stationary engine shop of Haywood & Snyder; also in Beaver Meadow, in the Beaver Meadow R. R. shops, up to 1841; and from that time until 1844 worked in Elmira, N. Y., in stationary engine shop, then in Greenbush, N. Y., in the Boston & Albany R. R. Shops for one year, and also ran a locomotive up to 1850; then in the shops of the New York Central R. R. and Albany & Schenectady R. R., and in 1852 was appointed master mechanic, serving up to 1855, when he came to Bloomington, Ill., in the employ of the Chicago & Alton R. R., up to 1860, when he was made foreman of the shops of the Wabash R. R. at Springfield, Ill., for eighteen months. He then took charge of shops of the Petersburg & Tonica R. R., and afterwards a machine shop in Springfield, Ill, and in 1867 came to Omaha and at once became general foreman of all the shops of the Union Pacific R. R., and in 1868 was made master mechanic of the Eastern Division. Is a member of Covert Lodge, A., F. & A. M. of Omaha, also a Knight Templar; a member also of State Lodge, I. O. O. F.; Past Grand in Farmers and Mechanics' Lodge, I. O. O. F., in Greenbush. Was a member of Board of Education for six years. Married Miss Anna L. Wardell, of Philadelphia. They have eleven children; nine living, Joseph H., Jane L, Robert J., Willie E., Fred R., Francis L., Clara W., Harry and Charles S.
JOHN McCREARY, capitalist, was born in Morrow County, Ohio, in 1832; was engaged for some years in building various telegraph lines through Ohio, Kentucky and other States, and thereafter carried on a shingle mill in Page County, Iowa, for fifteen months. He came to Nebraska in 1860. Located in Omaha; and he, with others, was engaged for five months in building the U. P. Telegraph from Julesburg, Neb., to Salt Lake City, Utah. Afterward for four years was engaged in shipping freight by teams across the plains of the West. Then he was employed in teaming by contract for the U. P. R. R. Co., after which he farmed for three years, during which time he also carried on a broom factory. Since 1877 his attention has been directed to building and improving his property. He was married at Omaha, in 1858, to Mary Creighton, also a native of Ohio. They have seven children, Edward S., James H., Charles F., John A., William W., Mary A. and Emmet H.
A. J. McCUNE, proprietor of a boarding house on Cuming street, No. 2016; has ten rooms and can accommodate twenty-five guests. He also has a large barn in connection, where he can keep fifteen teams. He began business in his present place in 1872. He first located in Omaha in June, 1856. In 1860 he kept the Douglas House; in 1862, kept the Herndon House; in 1863 he kept the Hamilton House, up to 1864. Worked at the carpenter trade up to 1872, when he moved into the present hotel. His business is now confined to hotel alone. He was born in Clarke County, Ind., March 16, 1828. Was married in Peru, Ind., in 1854, to Mrs. Sarah A. Coffin, whose maiden name was S. A. Linthecom. She was born in Indiana. Mr. McC. is a member of the Fire Company of Omaha, Neb.
A. McGAVOCK, groceries and provisions, commenced in 1876, succeeded P. & A. McGavock, carries a stock of about $3,000, yearly sales will amount to $30,000. Mr. McG., was born in County Antrim, Ireland, about 1842. Came to United States with his parents in 1847. The first settled in Lake County, Ill., and then moved to Rock County, Wis., where the subject of this sketch learned the trade of harness making, a business which he followed for a time. About 1862 he engaged with his brother, a railroad contractor in Illinois. In 1864 went to Idaho Territory, engaged in freighting until 1867, and then took contract work on the Union Pacific Railroad. Came to Nebraska in 1869, engaged in business at West Point, then in 1872, settled in Omaha in business with his brother. He was married in Beloit, Wis., February 8, 1870, to Miss Anne Tobin. They have five children, Sarah A., Mamie, Fannie A., Eliza, Lucy, Mr. and Mrs. McG., are members of the Roman Catholic Church.
M. A. McGINN, general baggage agent Burlington & Missouri River Railroad, was born in Pittsburgh, Pa, June 26, 1845. In 1862 was connected with John W. Pittock in handling the New York daily papers and eastern periodicals. In 1864 he was employed in the baggage department at Pittsburgh of the Pittsburgh Ft. Wayne & Chicago Railroad. In 1869 was transferred to the Union Pacific Railroad, and in 1870 took charge at Burlington, Iowa, as baggage agent of the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad, and all lines centering at that point. In 1880 was appointed general baggage agent of the Burlington & Missouri River Railroad at Omaha. Married Miss Kate Creighton, of Dayton, Ohio. They have one child, Frank C.
D. L. McGUCKIN, saloon and billiard hall, 314 S. Thirteenth street, is a native of Ireland, and came to this country in 1861. In 1862 he enlisted in Meagher's Cavalry Brigade in Philadelphia, and remained in the service till the end of the war, was honorably discharged. After his war services he turned his attention to his present business, which he successfully followed in Philadelphia, until 1879, when he came to Omaha and has continued his business here since. He was married to Miss Margaret Carey, who was born in Ireland and who passed away from this life in 1875. Is buried in the St. Joseph's Cemetery at Philadelphia. He has a family of two daughters, Sarah J. and Mary.
J. H. McGUIRE, chief operator Western Union Telegraph, was born in Eaton, Preble Co., Ohio, November 22, 1849. About 1863 he went to Indianapolis, Ind., where he learned telegraphing, a business he has since followed in different parts of the United States, with the exception of the years 1875-76-77, during which he was engaged in railroading in Ohio. Came to Omaha from California in spring of 1880, and shortly after took his present position. He was married in Eaton, Ohio, January 26, 1880, to Miss Maria Evans, of Eaton.
JAMES McHUGH, passenger conductor, U. P. R. R., was born at Monticello, Aroostook County, Maine, in 1836. At sixteen years of age he entered the employ of the G. & C. U. R. R. Co., and was engaged under his father at bridge building for three years. He was then in the employ of the E. & N. A. R. R., as brakeman, baggagemaster and extra conductor, until he came to Nebraska in August, 1868. He located at Omaha and entered the employ of the U. P. R. R., as brakeman, and was employed in that capacity for two and a half years. He was then employed as freight conductor until November 6, 1881, when he was appointed passenger conductor.
HENRY H. McKOON, of the firm of McKoon & Sturges, insurance agents, came to Omaha in September, 1877, and has since been engaged in his present business. He is an attorney by profession. Mr. McKoon was born in Oxford, Chenango Co., N. Y., May 12, 1840, where he lived until 1855. He then removed to Herkimer County, where he remained two years and then went to Sullivan County. In September, 1861 he enlisted in Company C, Forty-fourth New York Volunteer Infantry, known as the Ellsworth Avengers. He served three years and was in twenty-one engagements. After the war he returned to Sullivan County and remained there until he came West. He was married October 18, 1865, at Columbia, Herkimer County, N. Y. His wife was Miss De Ette Young, a native of that place. They have five children--Harold S., May, Horace C., Vernet and Elfie. Mr. McKoon is Quartermaster of the G. A. R., of Omaha.
M. G. McKOON, fire insurance, is special agent of the Commercial Union Assurance Company, of London, for the State of Nebraska. He represents, locally, the Continental, of New York; Commercial Union, of England; Fire Association, of Philadelphia; German-American, of New York; Imperial and Northern, of England; National of Hartford; Orient of Hartford; Fire, of Philadelphia; Phoeni,x of New York; Royal, of England; Springfield Fire and Marine, of Massachusetts. Mr. McKoon was born at Ilion, Herkimer Co., N. Y., December 24, 1831. When a young man he engaged in farming, and teaching school in winter. In 1859 he went to California where he remained about four years engaged in mining and mercantile business. He then returned to Phoenix, Oswego Co., N. Y., where his parents had settled in the meantime. In 1864 he was one of two, who raised a company of Volunteers that were mustered into the service of Company K, One Hundred and Eighty-fourth Regiment, New York Second Volunteers, of which organization Mr. McKoon was commissioned First Lieutenant. He served with the Army of the Potomac, and was mustered out in 1865. He returned to Phoenix, Oswego County, and in 1865 went to the oil regions of Pennsylvania, and in the same year he commenced the real estate and insurance business in Union City, Pa., in which he continued until he removed to Nebraska. In 1867 he settled in Omaha and established his present business. He was married in Union City, Pa., December 26, 1866, to Miss Helen M. King, of Union City. They have an adopted son, a nephew of Mr. McKoon's, Merritt P. McKoon. Mr. McKoon is a member of the K. of P. and I. O. O. F. lodges and encampment. H has been through all the five chairs in the I. O. O. F. and was a delegate four different years. He helped to institute five lodges in the State and was a member of the Board of Education two terms.
E. D. McLAUGHLIN, attorney at law and notary public, Omaha, was born in Cincinnati, Ohio, June 18, 1843. He removed with his parents to Little Rock, Ark., in 1855. He received his education at the Arkansas College in Fayetteville, and St. John's College in Little Rock. He began the study of law in 1864, and continued his studies while employed in various occupations to 1876, when he was admitted to practice at the June term of the Supreme Court of Louisiana, at Opelousas. The last two years of his preparation for the bar were spent in the offices of Edwards & Ducote and L. J. Ducote, of Marksville, La. In May, 1877, he removed to Nebraska and settled in Omaha, where he engaged in the practice of his profession. He was married in Avoyelles Parish, La., January 26, 1869, to Miss Eliska Bordelon, of that Parish, by whom he has three children, Clara B., Austin I. and Julia F. Mr. McLaughlin is a member of the K. of P. and A. L. of H., as also of the Nebraska Literary Association and the Hotspur Dramatic Club of Omaha.
JOHN MOTT McMAHON, storekeeper, of United States Quartermaster Department, engaged in his present occupation in 1876. He first located in Omaha in 1876. He was born in Dublin, Ireland, August 25, 1846, and emigrated to America in 1863. He was employed in the Commissary Department at Alexandria, Va., Washington, D. C., Fortress Monroe, City Point and Richmond, Va., until 1865, inclusive. He then joined Company F. of the Third Regular Cavalry, and was in seventeen engagements with the Indians on the frontier. He left the army in 1874, after receiving a medal of honor. He served as First Sergeant. He engaged in the Government employ in Chicago, Ill., in 1874, where he remained two years previous to coming to Omaha.
LAWRENCE McMAHON, of McMahon, Abert & Co. wholesale druggists, came to Omaha in July, 1880. He is a native of the Province of Nova Scotia, town of Yarmouth. He lived in Madison, Wis., for about eight years and at Clinton, Iowa, ten years prior to his removal to Omaha. He has been engaged in the drug business about twenty years.
JAMES McMICHAEL, hackman, office Withnell House, Omaha was born in Ireland in 1849. His parents emigrated to America in 1855, locating in Philadelphia, Pa, where James remained until 1862, when he went to Washington, D. C. He remained there until 1865 and then came to Omaha, engaging in his present business for other parties until 1875, when he started business for himself. He now has four carriages--one of which is the finest landau ever brought to the city of Omaha. In addition to his four carriage teams he has seven head of very promising young trotting horses.
F. J. McSHANE, bookkeeper for the Omaha Iron and Nail Company, was born in Southern Ohio, in 1853, was engaged in farming with his father until he came to Nebraska in 1874. Was for two years a partner in the firm of John A. Creighton & Co., stock and cattle dealers, during which time he was ranching off and on in Wyoming. Was afterward in the employ of the Union Pacific Railroad Company for two years as clerk. In 1879 he built the Omaha & Northern Nebraska Railroad from Tekamah to Oakland, Neb. Has been engaged in his present capacity since the spring of 1880.
JOHN A. McSHANE, wholesale dealer in butter and eggs, came to Omaha in 1871, and has been here since, with the exception of two years, spent in the cattle business in Wyoming. He is still interested in stock. In 1874 he started in the lumber trade and carried it on two years. He then entered his present trade, butter and eggs. The past two years he has been secretary and treasurer of the Omaha Nail Company. He was born in New Lexington, Perry Co., Ohio, August 25, 1850. Lived there until 1871, when he came to Omaha. He was married at Omaha, April 25, 1876, to Mary M. Lee, a native of Illinois. They have two children, Edward Lee and John Augustin. Mr. McShane is now a member of the Nebraska Legislature.
JAMES H. McSHANE, proprietor of the livery stable at Nos. 1307,1309 and 1311 Harney street.
T. A. McSHANE, groceries and provisions, commenced business in 1880; carries a stock of $4,000. He was born in Perry County, Ohio, July 16, 1848; came to Nebraska in 1869, locating in Omaha, remaining only a short time. He then went to Wyoming Territory, where he engaged in the cattle business some nine years. He then returned to Perry County, Ohio, and after taking a trip to Europe, he returned to Nebraska and settled in Omaha. He was married in Perry County, Ohio, February 13, 1877, to Celia Taggart. They have two children living, Thomas J. and Alice. Mr. McShane is a member of the Roman Catholic Church.
B. F. MADSEN, groceries, provisions and liquors, commenced about 1875, succeeding Jensen & Madsen; carries a stock of about $3,000 and his yearly sales amount to about $35,000. He was born in Denmark, May 10, 1840; came to the United States in 1866, remained in Illinois for a time, and in 1868, settled in Omaha, Neb., engaged in general occupations, and was several years in Freight Department, of the Union Pacific Railway. Commenced business in 1874, firm Jansen & Madsen. He was married in Omaha, to Miss Mary Hansen; she was born in Denmark. They had eight children, but only two of them are living, Christian and Peter. Mr. M. is a member of the Lutheran Church and of the Danish Veteran Association.
CHRISTIAN MADSEN, dairyman, 2124 Poppleton avenue, Omaha, was born in Denmark, in 1842, where in 1867, he married Miss Christina Peterson. They have one child, Henne. They came to America in 1870, living in Milwaukee one year, removing thence to Michigan, where they resided until 1877, when they came to Omaha. At present he is doing only a retail business, having recently disposed of the larger part of his dairy stock.
B. MAGINNIS, was born in County Armagh, Ireland, in 1833, and came to this country in 1868 and identified himself with the contracting and building interests of New York City, until 1878, when he came here and went into the saloon business, which he has followed since. In 1871 he was married to Miss Elizabeth Fearon, who was born in County Armagh. They have a family of two sons and one daughter; they are James, Edward and Rose.
JOHN MAHANNAH, contractor and builder, was born in Cadiz, Ohio, in 1853, learned the trade of carpenter in Western Illinois, and was employed as a journeyman carpenter there and in Missouri for five years. He came to Nebraska in April, 1879, located in Omaha and was employed as a journeyman carpenter for some six months, then commenced his present business. He employs five men; principal business consists in erecting private dwellings, of which he has built about fifteen in Omaha and a few in the country.
MAHONEY BROTHERS, groceries and provisions, firm composed of John P. and T. P. Mahoney, commenced in 1880. John Mahoney was born in Indianapolis, Ind., in 1856, came to Omaha with his parents in the same year. Was engaged in clerking seven or eight years previous to commencing this business. He was married in Omaha in August, 1878, to Miss Welsh. They have one child--John. T. P. Mahoney was born in Omaha in 1859, was engaged in clerking in groceries until present firm was organized.
OLIVER MALLERY, farmer, resided west side of Saunders, north of Cameron, Omaha, was born in Delaware County, N. Y., in 1831, living in that county and Cattaraugus, County, N. Y., until 1853, when he went to Wisconsin, where he remained until 1857, engaged in the livery and stage business. He went to Kansas in 1874 and dealt in live stock until September, 1880, when he came to Omaha and engaged in farming. He was married to Miss Sarah T. Starbuck, of Edgerton, Mass., in 1866.
JOHN MALLET, foreman of the blacksmith shop of the Omaha Iron and Nail Company, was born in London, England, in 1851. He learned the trade of blacksmith there, serving an apprenticeship of seven years, and was there engaged as a journeyman blacksmith until he came to America in 1874, located in Pittsburgh, Pa., and was employed as nailersmith in the rolling mills of Schonberger & Co., until he came to Omaha, Neb., March 26, 1879, and has since been in the employ of this company. Mr. Mallet was married in Omaha, Neb., in the summer of 1880 to Miss Kate Quin, a native of Detroit, Mich.
JOHN R. MANCHESTER, Ex-County Clerk, came to Omaha in August, 1867. He remained in the car department of the Union Pacific Railroad Company for a year and a half, and then entered the employ of the County Clerk, working there until the spring of 1871. He went to Kansas in that year and spent two years with the King Iron Bridge Company. In 1873 he returned to Omaha and became Deputy County Clerk, in which capacity he served until he was elected Clerk, in 1877. He was born in Boonville, Oneida Co., N. Y., June 23, 1845, living there until he enlisted to the Ninety-seventh New York Volunteer Infantry as musician, March 12, 1862. He was mustered out as Captain of Company I., Ninety-seventh New York, in the month of August, 1865. After his service he returned to his native place, living there until he moved to Nebraska. He married at Topeka, Kansas, December 30, 1871. His wife was Miss Kate C. McAusland, a native of Prince Edward's Island. They have three children--Eva F. George W., and Frank P.
GEN. CHARLES F. MANDERSON, attorney at law, was born in Philadelphia, February 9, 1838, he lived there until nineteen years of age, and then removed to Canton, Ohio, where he pursued the study of law and was admitted to the bar in 1860. In April, 1861 he raised Company A., Nineteenth Ohio Infantry Volunteers, subsequently became Major of the regiment and Lieutenant Colonel after the battle of Shiloh, and Colonel in January, 1863, after the battle of Stone River, was made Brevet Brigadier General in February, 1865, resigned from the service on account of wounds, in April, 1865. He was in all the battles of his command, as well as all those of the Army of the Cumberland, except Franklin and Nashville, and was wounded at the battle of Lovejoy's Station, in September, 1864. After he left the service he returned to Canton, and associated himself with Judge Meyer, in the practice of law. This partnership lasted until 1869, when General Manderson removed to Omaha, and November 1, of that year engaged in practice there with Judge Savage. They were associated together until January 1, 1876, and General Manderson continued the business alone until January 1, 1880, when Mr. Congdon, his present partner was associated with him. He was married in April, 1865, at Canton, Ohio, to Rebecca S. Brown, a native of Canton, and daughter of James D. Brown, deceased, and once a prominent lawyer. General M. was a member of the Constitutional Convention of 1871 and of 1875, has been City Attorney of Omaha for the last five years, and President of the State Bar Association for the last two years. Is a member of the Council of the National Bar Association, is a member of the G. A. R., of the A., F. & A. M., and of the Nebraska Academy of Science. He was City Solicitor of Canton and District Attorney of Stark County, Ohio for four years.
[H. H. MARHOFF'S TRUNK MANUFACTORY.]
H. H. MARHOFF, manufacturer of trunks, valises, shawl straps, telescopic cases, etc. Began business in February, 1880, employs four men, and does a retail and wholesale business. He was born in Niles, Cook Co., Ill., in 1857, where he lived until he was fifteen years of age, and went to St. Paul, Minn., and there learned the trade of manufacturing trunks, living there three years. He then went to Chicago, Ill., being there a few months, until October, 1876. Then went to Denver, Colo., and worked at his trade, for another party, remaining until March, 1878, when he returned to Chicago a short time, and once more went to St. Paul, Minn., where he worked at his trade until July, 1879, returned to Chicago, and followed his trade until February, 1880, at which time he came to Omaha, Neb., where he has since remained. He was married in St. Paul, September, 1880, to Miss Carrie Roth, a native of St. Paul, Minn.