|SECTION 1: The Early Days||SECTION 2: More Early Days|
|SECTION 3: Omaha in 1870||SECTION 4: Present Day (1882)|
|SECTION 5: Crimes||SECTION 6: Fires and Public Works|
|SECTION 7: Health, Parks, Mail||SECTION 8: The Press in Omaha|
|SECTION 9: Press Continued||SECTION 10: Religious|
|SECTION 11: Religious (cont.)||SECTION 12: Cemetery and Schools|
|SECTION 13: Legal and Medical||SECTION 14: Opera House-Hotels-Business|
|SECTION 15: Societies||SECTION 16: Societies (Cont.)|
|SECTION 17: Business||SECTION 18: Manufacturing|
|SECTION 19: Manufacturing (cont.)|
20 - 46:
** Omaha Biographical Sketches **|
| ABLE~BARRIGER | BARTLETT~BOYD | BOYER~BURNHAM |
| BURR~CONKLING | COFFMAN~CREIGHTON |
| CRITTENTON~DIETZ | DINSMOOR~FAWCETT |
| FEARON~GAYLORD | GELATTE~GROSSMANN |
| GROSS~HAVENS | HAWES~HOILE |
| HOLDREDGE~JORGENSEN | JOSLYN~LEISENRING |
| LEHMAN~LOWE | LUDINGTON~MARHOFF |
| MANNING~MILLER | MILLSPAUGH~NINDEL |
| O'CONNOR~PEABODY | PAUL~READ | REDICK~ROGERS |
| ROSENBERY~SCOTT | SEAMAN~SIMPSON | SINCERE~STONE |
| STORZ~UMPHRESON | URLAU~WILBUR | WILDE~WOOD |
| WOODARD~ZEHRUNG | West Omaha Precinct | Douglas Precinct |
List of Illustrations in Douglas County Chapter
DR. C. H. PAUL, surgeon dentist, came to Omaha in February, 1868, where he has since engaged in the practice of his profession. He has been engaged in dentistry since 1863. He was born in Cooperstown, N. Y., April 5, 1844, residing there until 1866. For two years subsequent there, he lived in Utica, N. Y. He married Miss Alice V. Phelps at Omaha, November 10, 1870, she being a native of Mount Pleasant, Iowa. They have one son, Victor H., who was born December 19, 1873. Dr. Paul is a member of the I. O. O. F., and of the Nebraska State Dental Association.
JOHN T. PAULSEN, farmer and dairyman, corner of Twenty-first and Lake streets, was born in Schleswig-Holstein, Germany, in 1837; came to America in 1853, locating in Wisconsin, where he worked at his trade of tinsmith, until 1857, when he came to Omaha, where he followed his trade till 1862; he then engaged in the dairy business. At present he has fifty head of cattle in his dairy, his sales being 100 gallons of milk per day. In addition he has a large farm of 240 acres, which he now operates, giving it most of his attention and time since 1876. He raises large quantities of corn, millet and timothy and clover hay. He was married in 1861 to Miss Anna C. Hagesborn, who is also a native of Schleswig-Holstein. They have six children, Edmund, Emma, Herman, Henry, Augusta and William.
[Portrait of J. P. Peck, M. D.]
JAMES PORTER PECK, M. D., second son of Sherman and Anna Peck, was born in Stow Tp., then Portage (now Summit) County, Ohio, October 11, 1821. During his infancy his family moved to Hudson, and afterwards in 1833 to Cuyahoga Falls, both in Summit County. At the age of ten years the Doctor went into the office of the Ohio Observer to learn the printing business, at which he worked most of the time until the age of nineteen. While employed in the office of the Ohio Statesman at Columbus, Ohio, he began the study of medicine, devoting such leisure time thereto as he had, and finally in the spring of 1842 he went to Chillicothe and regularly began the study in the office of Dr. Wills, but from sickness was obliged to abandon the study that fall for some vocation that would afford means of subsistence. In the fall of 1842, there being a division in one of the great political parties, he was employed to go to Cincinnati and purchase the material for a printing office, and published a campaign paper at Chillicothe, afterwards until the spring of 1848 was employed in the dry goods trade as salesman at Chillicothe, and Circleville, when he returned to Akron, Ohio and resumed the study of medicine in the office of D. D. Evans, M. D., and the following winter attended his first course of lectures. During the memorable cholera epidemic of 1849, in company with his preceptor, he went to Sandusky where the disease had been so fatal and panic so great, that every physician had left the city, and all business completely suspended. Remained there seven days, and until Dr. Evans was attacked who was immediately taken aboard a steamer and run down to Cleveland. The Doctor graduated at the Cleveland Medical College in the spring of 1850, the graduating class numbering seventy-three, faculty consisting of Professors Delamater, Dean, Ackley, St. John, Kirtland, Cassels, and Delamater, Jr. Located at Akron, and in June was married to Elizabeth H. Ames (daughter of Elijah Ames, of New London, Conn.,) at Cleveland. Remained at Akron until 1856, when he with wife and two sons removed to Omaha, Neb. In April, 1857, lost by death his eldest son William Ames, the younger, Edward P., being now a resident of this city. Although the Doctor was somewhat engaged in the freighting business on the plains from 1860 to 1866, he has always been in active practice as he is now. In an early day he was called to great distances in surgical and other important cases, incurring the hardships incident to a new and sparsely populated country.
P. L. PERINE, cashier of the Land Department of the U. P. R. R., is a native of New York State, and was born in the town of Ira, Cayuga County, February 24, 1829. At the age of thirteen he left his father's farm, and engaged as a clerk in the store of G. S. Murfey, of Auburn, Cayuga Co., N. Y., and afterwards in a store in Baldwinsville, Onondaga Co., N. Y. In 1854 he engaged in general merchandise business in Baldwinsville under the firm name of Allen & Perine, and continued the same for five years, when, having sold out, clerked in a dry goods house in Syracuse, N. Y. He then returned to Baldwinsville, and became a member of the firm of W. H. Downer & Co., engaged in general merchandising. In 1863, upon the organization of the First National Bank of Baldwinsville, he was elected bookkeeper and teller, and in 1863, became its cashier, which position he held until 1869, when, having resigned, he came to Omaha, and was appointed to his present position of cashier of the Land Department of the U. P. R. R. He is a member of Seneca River Lodge of A., F. & A. M., No. 160, of Baldwinsville, N. Y. For many years he was Town Clerk of the town of Lysander, Onondaga Co., N. Y. Married Miss Gertrude Parker, of Baldwinsville, N. Y., and has one child, Grace W.
PERKINS & LEAR, new and second-hand furniture and stoves, 1416 Douglas street, Omaha. Established in 1880. Mr. Perkins is a native of Vermont, and came here in 1873 and engaged in the mercantile industries of this place, with which he has been identified since. In 1881 he was married to Miss Sally V. Hickman, who was born in Illinois. The firm are active and progressive and fully alive to the requirements of the times.
HENRY PETERS, butcher, was born in St. Louis, Mo., in 1857, and shortly after removed with his people to Davenport, Iowa, where he was reared and educated to his present business, which he followed there for six years. He then went to Denver City, Col., but returned soon after and located in Atlantic City, Iowa, and followed his business there for two years, after which he came to Omaha, and has been connected with the meat business here since.
ALFRED W. PHELPS, contractor, builder and manufacturer of artificial stone. Born in Canada in 1826, learned the trade of carpenter in that country, and was engaged in business about twelve years as contractor and builder. He built a large flour mill at Belle Ewart, Canada, and was also engaged in conducting it several years. Came to Nebraska in 1869; located in Omaha, was employed for a year as a journeyman carpenter, and in 1870 commenced business as a contractor and builder. He employs some twenty-five men; began the manufacture of artificial stone for building purposes in 1879. His principal business is in contracting for the erection of business and dwelling houses. Mr. Phelps was married in Rochester, N. Y. They have nine children--Frank, Amelia, Walter, Jeanette, Alfred R., Catherine, Susan, Edith and Henry.
FRANK PHELPS, carpenter and builder, was born in Rochester, N. Y., May 1, 1848. Learned trade of carpenter at Holland Landing, Canada, and was employed at it some six years. He came to Nebraska in 1870, located at Omaha, and for ten years was employed as foreman by his father, A. W. Phelps, contractor and builder. Has been engaged since June, 1881, in superintending the woodwork in the building of the Omaha Union Elevator "B." Mr. Phelps was married at Omaha, February 16, 1880, to Jennie Kribbs, a native of Iowa. They have one daughter, Edith.
AARON PICKUP, agent for Singer Manufacturing Company. Took charge of the business August 1, 1881; employs five men on the road as canvassers, and sells monthly an average of fifty machines. M. P. Was born in Tuscarawas County, Ohio, in 1850, where he lived until 1862, then went to Bureau County, Ill., and attended the Princeton schools; lived there about six years, then went to Des Moines, Iowa, and lived one year; then to Southern Kansas and engaged in various occupations four years, and returned to Creston, Iowa, and was employed in the car shops of the C., B. & Q. R. R. in the carpenter department one year; then returned to Des Moines, Iowa, and there went into the sewing machine business, where he remained until August 1, 1881, then went to Omaha, Neb.
DAVID A PIERCY, hardware dealer, was born in Ogdensburg, N. Y., December 25, 1839; resided there until eighteen years of age, when he removed to Minnesota. In May, 1861, he enlisted in the First Battalion of the Minnesota Cavalry, and served until July, 1865; was in most of the battles of his command; was mustered out as Major in July, 1865, and came to Omaha in the following spring, and was for eleven years with Milton Rogers in the hardware business. In 1877 he engaged in business for himself, dealing in stoves, tinners' stock, mantels, grates, furnaces, etc., doing at present both a wholesale and retail business. He employs on an average fifteen men, and his annual sales amount to $65,000. Was married in Ogdensburg, N. Y., to Caroline Bettell. She died in Omaha in the spring of 1873, leaving four children, May, Louisa, Hattie and Nellie. Hattie has since died. His present wife, Libbie Stout, a native of Owego, N. Y., he married June 24, 1876. They have three children, Agnes, David A., Jr., and Leonard.
JOHN H. PLATZ, residence 1908 Cuming; by occupation U. S. Mail Carrier, Omaha Post Office. Came to Nebraska in March, 1868, and located in Omaha and engaged in business as clerk in hardware store of Herford & Wilson, and remained with said firm for three years; then embarked in retail grocery business, in which business he was identified for six years. Since then he has been connected with the Omaha Post Office Department. Was born on 26th of May, 1844, in Kolding, Denmark; lived in native place until twenty years of age, then came to this country and lived in New York City for one year; from there to Evansville, Ind., and then to Omaha. Is connected with the Odd Fellow Fraternity, and is an active member of Bacon Lodge, No. 20, of Omaha, for eight years, and has held prominent positions as officer of said lodge. Is also a member of the North Presbyterian Church, of which he is treasurer, and one of the trustees of the congregation. His wife's maiden name was Indiana Jane Ash; she was born in Evansville, Ind., they were married October 30, 1873, at West Union, Iowa, and have two children, Elmar Leonore Platz, and Nellie Mabel Platz.
JOHN B. POISSANT has charge of the water works and tanks on the East Division of the U. P. R. R., from Omaha to North Platte, and all branches east of that. He located in Omaha in 1866, and engaged as carpenter four years, having previously learned the trade in Canada East. He has twenty-five men under his supervision, at average wages of $2.50 per day. He has been in the employ of the U. P. R. R. since coming to Omaha; working one year in the general office, three years in the car shops, and balance of time on water tanks. He was born in LaCole, Canada East, August 27, 1838. Came to Chicago, Ill., in 1861; worked for U. S. Government two years at Nashville, Tenn., in 1862-3-4; he returned on a visit afterward and soon came to Omaha. He was married in June, 1866, in Canada, to Miss Caroline Roy, who was born in Canada East, in same place as Mr. P. They have a son and daughter--Victor R., born October 18, 1868, and Corrine A., born April 24, 1870. His wife died December 1874. He is a member of the I. O. O. F., Omaha Lodge, No. 10.
ANTON POKORNY, meat market, 702 S. Thirteenth street; is a native of Bohemia; came to Chicago in 1872, where he worked about six months; came to Omaha in 1875 and worked at this business till 1876, when he established this business, and now employs two men and one team. Married May 28, 1877, to Anna Novok, of Bohemia. They have two children, Anton and Anna. Mr. Pokorny is a member of the G. S. P. S. and the K. of P.
LUTHER POLAND, firm of Poland & Gwyer, dealers in flour and feed, also commission merchants for sale of farmers' produce; came to Omaha May 10, 1869, and engaged as Postal Clerk on railroad five years, then resigned and took a contract of surveying in Wyoming Territory one season. Then went to Salt lake and engaged as Postal Clerk from the latter city to Ogden eighteen months. He then accepted the position of Warden of the Utah Penitentiary, at Salt Lake, one year, after which he returned to Omaha. He was born in Waterville, Vt., April 2, 1826; was married in Montpelier, Vt., in 1848, to Miss Clara M Bennett, who was born in the latter city. They have one daughter, whose name is Martha L. Poland.
ALEX POLLOCK has charge of the U. S. Signal Service of Omaha Station. He came to Omaha November 5, 1881. Has one assistant. He was born in Hungary, March 31, 1851. He emigrated to America in the spring of 1871 and settled in New York City, and was third foreman of a tobacco factory seven months. He then went West, and became clerk to Gen. L. C. Hunt, of the U. S. Army, who was then engaged in measuring roads in dispute between the Indians and military departments. He was in that employ about five years. He then passed examination in the U. S. Signal Service, and became assistant in New York Station, in the city of the same name, ten months. He was then ordered to the chief office, at Washington, D. C., to take part in the publication of International Meteorological Bulletin, which is the largest daily paper of the kind in the world. It contains twelve pages and several charts, and there are 600 copies published daily. He remained assistant one year, then took charge of the same, and had under him ten assistants and draughtsmen. Remained in that capacity until March, 1881, when he took charge of the Signal Station at Springfield, Mass., and remained ten weeks; then returned to his old publication, which in the mean time had been increased by an additional publication called the Monthly Summary of the International Bulletin. Mr. P. is a graduate of the Imperial Royal Ober Realschule, at Prague, under Director Professor Dr. William Koegler, graduating just previous to coming to America. He was married in Washington, D. C., October 25, 1878, to Miss Verona E. Larkin, who was born in Prince William County, Va., July 12, 1862. She is a niece of Gen. Hiram Berdan, who was commander of the sharp-shooters during the Rebellion. They had two children, Channing L., and Alexander J.
POMY & SEGELKE, manufacturers of mineral waters. This firm manufactures soda water, seltzer water, champagne cider, and also deals in cider and manufacturers' supplies. Employ ten men, and do a large business throughout the State. Gustave Pomy, of this firm, was born in Germany in 1836. He came to America in 1869; resided for six months in Chicago. Then came to Omaha, and purchased the soda water business of E. D. After, which he conducted until he consolidated the business with that of W. Segelke, January 15, 1879. William Segelke was born in Germany in 1847. Was employed as a clerk in the dry goods business for several years. Came to America in 1868; located in Omaha, Neb., and was employed as a laborer for three years. In 1871 he began the manufacture of mineral water, and continued the business until he consolidated with Mr. Pomy. Mr. Segelke was married in Omaha in February, 1879, to Anna Schmid, a native of Germany. They have one son, William.
B. H. POST, dairyman, between Webster and Burt streets, Omaha; was born in Prussia, in 1853; came to America in 1874, locating at Philadelphia, Pa. where he began working at the dairy business, being employed by other parties. In May, 1876, he married Miss Louisa Osthoff. They came to Omaha in May, 1878, when he continued in the same business in the employ of Mr. Ainsworth, who sold out his business the next year to Mr. Post and Henry Osthoff, who conducted the business in partnership until October, 1881, when Mr. Post bought Mr. Osthoff's interest. He has eighty head of cattle in his dairy, giving employment to five men, four teams, and requiring two delivery wagons. He has a large wholesale and retail trade.
A. C. POWELL, paymaster Kansas and Colorado Divisions U. P. R. R., was born in Freeport, Ill., March 23, 1851. At six years of age he went with his parents to DeSoto, Washington Co., Neb. In 1863 they moved to Omaha, where Mr. Powell was first employed in the State Bank, and for over ten years in the banking house of Caldwell, Hamilton & Co. In 1879 he became connected with the U. P. R. R., in the cashier's department, as acting paymaster of the St. Joe and Western Division, and in the same year was promoted to paymaster of the Kansas and Colorado Divisions. Member of Royal Arcanum, and Ancient Order of United Workmen. Married Miss Minnie Ketchum, of Marshall, Mich., September 16, 1875. They have three children, Clarke G., Charles and Doane.
CHARLES POWELL, Justice of the Peace, Omaha.
JOHN POWER, of the firm of Sprout & Power, coopers, was born May 6, 1849, in Ireland. Came to Philadelphia in 1864, there he worked at his trade ten years. Came to Kansas City, Mo., in 1874. The following year he came to Omaha, where he has since resided, always following this trade. In 1875 they established this business. They now employ about twelve hands in their old shop and eight hands in their new shop. He married October 2, 1878, to Mary Quinlan, of Massachusetts. They have one son--Nicholas.
WILLIAM PRESTON, wholesale dealer in flour and feed and all kinds of mill products, began business in about 1871. His sales extend over Nebraska, Western Iowa and the Western Territories. He employs four men, has also three teams engaged in the business. Sales amount to $15,000 per month on an average. He settled in Omaha in 1856, consequently has witnessed almost the entire growth of the city. He engaged first in real estate dealing, which he continued two years, then engaged in the raising of sheep, and continued until the winter of 1863-64, and the following spring went into the Southern States, going in company with the Fifth Iowa Cavalry and remained until fall 1865 as sutler, then returned to Omaha and engaged in the grocery and commission business which he continued until 1870, and in 1871 went into his present business. He was born in England November 20, 1834. Emigrated to America in December, 1851. He was married in Omaha, Neb., March 1866, to Miss Emily V., daughter of Mr. A. R. Orchard, of Omaha, Neb., who was an old resident of the State and universally respected. He died in October 1880. They have five children--Ella B., Alfred H., Walter G., Katie T. and Edith V. Mr. Preston is a member of the Sportsmen's Club, of Omaha, Neb., having been treasurer twelve years.
SOLOMON PRINCE, clothing merchant and Assistant Chief of the fire department, has been connected with the department for about five years. He came to Omaha in 1876 and was employed in a clothing establishment until he commenced business for himself in partnership with Charles Schlank. He was born in Boston, Mass., in 1853, being a son of Abraham Prince, one of the finest opticians in this country. He lived in Boston until he came to Omaha.
FRANK H. PUGH, representing P. P. Mast & Co., of Springfield, Ohio, was born in Roscoe, Coshocton Co., Ohio, June 16, 1848. He lived there until 1868, when he moved to Springfield, Ohio. In August, 1863, he enlisted in Company M. Ninth Ohio Cavalry. In the spring of 1864 he was transferred to the Signal Corps. Mustered out at Louisville, Ky., in August, 1865, and returned to his native place, where he engaged in the dry goods business until 1868. Went to Springfield, Ohio, 1868 and lived there a year and a half, going home from there to Philadelphia, where he went into the wholesale dry goods trade. In the spring of 1872 he returned to Springfield, and in the fall of that year became traveling agent for P. P. Mast & Co., of that city. He traveled for one year in Ohio, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Indiana and Kentucky and then came West. His business now being in Western Iowa, Nebraska and Colorado with headquarters at Omaha.
HENRY PUNDT, dealer in groceries, was born in Oldenburg, Germany, March 30, 1831. He emigrated to America in 1851 and located in New York City, he remained there one year, then removed to Milwaukee, Wis., where he resided one year, and then removed to St. Louis, residing there until he removed to Omaha, July 1, 1856 and opened his present business, being the oldest grocer in the city of Omaha, as well as in the State of Nebraska. He has been a dealer in groceries since 1844. From 1856 to 1863, Mr. Pundt was associated with William Koenig, under the firm name of Pundt & Koenig. From 1863 to 1874 the firm was H. Pundt & Co., he having no partner during that time. From 1874 to 1879 he was associated with Meyer & Raapke, under the firm name of Pundt, Meyer & Raapke. Since 1879 Mr. Pundt has carried on the business alone. His business now amounts to about $50,000. In 1859 he built the corner drug store, which will shortly be occupied by the State Bank. He was married at St. Louis, August 13, 1857, to Miss Doris Thilenius. She was born in Hanover, Germany. They have four children--Emma, Oscar, George and Ida. Mr. Pundt is treasurer of the Standard Club, and of the Pioneer Hook and Ladder Company, holding the latter position sine 1877. He has been agent for the Hamburg & Bremen Steamship Lines for the past ten years; is also president of the Horse and Cattle Insurance Company, organized about twelve months ago in this city.
WILLIAM E. PUTNAM, residence 913 N. Twentieth street, Omaha. By occupation, machinist. Arrived at Nebraska, September 15, 1878, and located at Omaha, and commenced work as machinist in the U. P. R. R. shops. Was born in Rochester, N. Y., on February 9, 1844, and lived in native place until 1878, and came direct to Omaha. Served through the Rebellion, enlisted as private of Company G., Eighteenth New York Volunteers, on the 15th of May, 1861. Has participated in all engagements with his command, Sixth Army Corps. Was promoted from Private to First Lieutenant of his company in February, 1862. Was mustered out 15th of May, 1863. Is connected with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and is a member of John Clinton Lodge, No. 378, of Rochester, N. Y. Maiden name of wife, Annie Mannie. Was married on 15th December, 1880, at Omaha, Neb. His wife was born in London, England. Name of child, Ada May Putnam.
P. J. QUEALEY, proprietor of Omaha Soap Factory. He first built a factory in 1870, it burned July 15, 1879, rebuilt again on the same foundation, and it again burned September 4, 1879. He again rebuilt in November, 1879, of brick and has a large fine building, the capacity is 250 boxes per week. He employs four men, he manufactures laundry soap wholly. Mr. Q. was born in Ireland, March 16, 1834, emigrated to America in 1860, and settled in Boston, Mass., where he worked at the soap business, and learned the same thoroughly. He lived there until 1865, then went to Marietta, Ohio, and engaged on his own account in the soap business one year, but concluded the West was a better field in which to gain a home, he therefore moved to Omaha, as before stated. He was married in Boston, Mass., June 19, 1864, to Miss Bridget O'Conner, a native of Ireland, who came to America in 1860, and settled in Boston, Mass. They have five children, whose names are Mary Elizabeth, Susie Jane, Loura, Frances Augustus, and Lawrence. Mr. Q. has been School Director in Douglas Precinct and Justice of the Peace for the past ten years. He is also a member of the Masonic Lodge No. 25, St. John's Lodge of Omaha, also a member of the Chapter Lodge of same place, and a member of the Knights of Honor No. 829, also of Omaha.
JAMES QUINN, market gardener and fruit grower, Section 27, Town 15, Range 13. Was born in Philadelphia, Pa., in 1833, where he remained until twenty-one years of age, when he went to Illinois, remaining two years, going to Iowa, in 1856, and came to this State in 1862, locating on above mentioned section, and turned his attention to market gardening and fruit growing, has a large vineyard. Was married in August, 1858, to Miss Mary Dunn of Illinois, she dying soon after their marriage. Was married again in 1875, to Miss Sarah Thompson, of Omaha, and they have six children. James H., Margeret, Betsey, William, George and Mercer.
REV. OSWALD RADINSKY, German Evangelical Church, of the Evangelical Association, 1214 Dody street, between Twelfth and Thirteenth streets, Omaha, Neb. This mission was founded in 1871, by the Iowa Conference, Evangelical Association, and was called the Omaha Mission. The first church on this mission was built in 1872, under the co-operation of E. J. Schultz, P. E. and F. Loehle, Pastor of the Iowa Conference, Ministers of said association who labored on this mission were as follows: J. Knoche, 1871-72; F. Loehle, 1872-73; S. H. Witte, 1873-74; T. P. Pflaum, 1874-75; E. Nolte, 1875-76; E. Mueller, 1876-77; A. Fischer, 1877-79; S. H. Witte, 1879-81; O. Radinsky, 1881-83. Came to Nebraska, in 1881, born in Germany, November 25, 1845. Came to America in 1868, entered into the ministry 1878. Then labored for two years in different churches in Illinois. Was ordained Deacon by Bishop Escher, at Naperville, Ill., in 1880. Afterwards labored in the church Barrington Circuit, Ill. Married at Chatsworth, Ill., in 1871, to Annie Anneslenger, native of Germany. They have four children, Adelia, Oswald, Alma and Clara.
AUGUST RANDOW, manufacture of brooms and dealer in broom corn and broom materials. Was born in Germany, in 1825, and was employed in that country as a farmer. Came to America in 1868, and resided in St. Louis, Mo., some three years, was employed in broom making. Came to Nebraska in 1871, located in Omaha, and commenced his present business, and has continued it since. Employs three men in the establishment, and manufactures sixty to seventy dozen brooms per week.
C. RASMUSSEN, saloon and billiard hall, 1019 Farnam street, Omaha. Mr. Rasmussen was born in Denmark, 1840, and came to America in 1866, after spending a year in Kansas and a year in Missouri, he came here and kept hotel for six years, after which he opened the present business which he has successfully followed since. In 1873 he was married to Miss Ellen Nelson, who was born in Sweden, 1853. They have two daughters, Rita and Mamie.
J. R. RASMUSSEN, stock dealer, east side S. Twenty-fourth street, near St. Mary's Avenue, Omaha. He was born in 1827, in Denmark, living there until 1871, when he came to Omaha. Since his arrival he has dealt largely in dairy and butchers' stock. He was married in 1857 to Miss Carrie Sorenson, who died in 1866, leaving four children; Carrie, William, Olga and Mary.
RASMUSSEN & MARTENSON, dairy, east side State street, near Ittner's brick yard, Omaha, was purchased by present owners in 1880. They have fifty head of cattle, employ one man, two delivery wagons and five horses. Their sales are seventy-five gallons of milk per day. Mads Martenson, one of above firm, was born in Denmark, in 1843. He came to Omaha, in 1865, but remained only a short time, going further west and returned to Omaha in 1868, engaging in various kinds of business until he entered the dairy business. In 1872, he married Miss Anna Morrison. They have four children--Charles, Mary, Martha and Olga. Peter Rasmussen the other member of above firm was born in Denmark, in 1843. He came to Omaha in 1866, working at different kinds of business until 1879, when he engaged in the diary business. In 1880 he associated Mads Martenson in the business with himself. He married in 1878, Frederika Nelson. They have one child, Mary Nilsena.
GEORGE R. RATHBUN, proprietor of the Great Western Business College, came to Omaha, in May 1873 He at that time opened the Omaha Business College, and has since been proprietor thereof. He was born in Luzerne Township, Wyoming Co., Pa., June 25, 1842, and lived there until twelve years old. In 1853 he moved to Maquoketa, Iowa, living there until he enlisted in August, 1862, in company I., Twenty-fourth Iowa Volunteer Infantry. Having served in all the engagements of his command. He was mustered out in August, 1865, he returned to Iowa and remained on a farm until 1872, he then went to the Clinton Business College, and in 1873 bought it. He was married at Maquoketa, Iowa, September 19, 1865, to Adeline M. Button, a native of Clymer, N. Y. They have one child, George Arthur. Mr. Rathbun is a member of the I. O. O. F., also of the G. A. R.
THOMAS W. READ, business manager of retail department of Milton Rogers & Son, Omaha. Mr. Read was born in Dover, England, and came to this country with his people, who settled in Rochester, N. Y., 1854. In 1862, and at the age of eleven years, he engaged at the mercantile business, and has successfully followed it since. In 1869 he came to Omaha, and in 1872 he engaged with the present firm, with whom he has remained since. In 1878 he was married to Miss Mattie Litzen, who was born and raised in Davenport, Iowa. They have a family of two children. They are Georgie May and Milton Rodgers.