|SECTION 1: The Early Days||SECTION 2: More Early Days|
|SECTION 3: Omaha in 1870||SECTION 4: Present Day (1882)|
|SECTION 5: Crimes||SECTION 6: Fires and Public Works|
|SECTION 7: Health, Parks, Mail||SECTION 8: The Press in Omaha|
|SECTION 9: Press Continued||SECTION 10: Religious|
|SECTION 11: Religious (cont.)||SECTION 12: Cemetery and Schools|
|SECTION 13: Legal and Medical||SECTION 14: Opera House-Hotels-Business|
|SECTION 15: Societies||SECTION 16: Societies (Cont.)|
|SECTION 17: Business||SECTION 18: Manufacturing|
|SECTION 19: Manufacturing (cont.)|
20 - 46:
** Omaha Biographical Sketches **|
| ABLE~BARRIGER | BARTLETT~BOYD | BOYER~BURNHAM |
| BURR~CONKLING | COFFMAN~CREIGHTON |
| CRITTENTON~DIETZ | DINSMOOR~FAWCETT |
| FEARON~GAYLORD | GELATTE~GROSSMANN |
| GROSS~HAVENS | HAWES~HOILE |
| HOLDREDGE~JORGENSEN | JOSLYN~LEISENRING |
| LEHMAN~LOWE | LUDINGTON~MARHOFF |
| MANNING~MILLER | MILLSPAUGH~NINDEL |
| O'CONNOR~PEABODY | PAUL~READ | REDICK~ROGERS |
| ROSENBERY~SCOTT | SEAMAN~SIMPSON | SINCERE~STONE |
| STORZ~UMPHRESON | URLAU~WILBUR | WILDE~WOOD |
| WOODARD~ZEHRUNG | West Omaha Precinct | Douglas Precinct |
List of Illustrations in Douglas County Chapter
WILLIAM F. MANNING was born in Boston, Mass., October 12, 1849, and educated in the Boston Grammar and High Schools. In 1864 he became connected with the Ames Plow Company and continued with them until April, 1868. He then came to Nebraska. On October 19, 1880, he was married at Omaha to Lillie V. Gray, a native of this city and a daughter of William L. Gray, a pioneer of Omaha, who settled here in 1854. Mr. Manning is considerably interested in lands in Burt and Cuming counties in Nebraska. After coming to Omaha, in 1868, Mr. M. was associated with F. D. Cooper, in the agricultural implement business until the present firm of Manning & Hess was organized in October, 1881.
J. E. MARKEL, hotel man, was born in Lewis County, Mo., 1845, when old enough to work was employed in his father's bakery, where he learned the bakers' trade, until 1857, when he went to St. Louis, remained there until 1861, when he enlisted, but meeting with an accident did not remain in the service long, returning to St. Louis, he worked at his trade for a while, then went on to a boat running from St. Louis up the Missouri River, as cabin boy, and finally landed in Omaha in 1866, taking charge of a fruit stand for the steward of the boat, and at the end of six months bought one-half of the interest in the business. Ran it about one year then went into business with two other parties, in the grocery trade, which they carried on for two years, sold out and opened a bakery, carrying on the business for years, was elected Chief Engineer of the Fire Department, holding the position for eighteen months. In 1872, took the Union Pacific Dining Rooms, and in 1876, in company with Swobe, opened the Union Pacific Hotel, at the Union Depot, also the Emigrant Hotel, and the hotel at the stock yards, at Council Bluffs, Iowa, which they have been running since. Mr. M. is also one of the stock holders, and managers of the new Millard House, and is a thorough hotel man, belongs to the fire department, and is a member of Omaha Lodge, No. 11, A., F. & A. M.
WILLIAM A. MARLOW, attorney, came to Nebraska in March, 1870, and lived at Schuyler for one year, and then moved to Fremont, there he engaged in practice. He was born in Mansfield, Richland Co., Ohio, July 27, 1837, and was educated in the schools of his native county. He read law in Mansfield with Carpenter and Gass, and was admitted to the bar in 1864. He commenced practice in Indiana, in that year, where he continued until he came to Nebraska. He was Mayor of Fremont two years, he is a member of the A., F. & A. M. Lodge, Chapter and Commandery. He enlisted in Company B., One Hundred and Sixty-third Ohio National Guards, in the spring of 1864, serving six months. He enlisted thirty-six men in three days for his company.
REV. DAVID MARQUETT, Pastor of South Omaha Methodist Episcopal Church, born in Clark County, Ohio, July 19, 1842, was educated at the Ohio State University, and Northwestern University, Evanston, Ill., did not graduate on account of ill health. Came to Nebraska, in 1865, located at Plattsmouth, was engaged teaching school, etc. Was ordained in 1870 at Fremont, Neb., by Bishop D. W. Clark. Had charge of Methodist Episcopal Church at Grand Island, Neb., for one year, then Schuyler, Neb., one year, Fairbury, Neb., one year, Crete, one year, Weeping Water one year, Mount Pleasant, two years, and Tekamah, two years. Came to Omaha in October, 1879, and entered upon present duties. Married at Plattsmouth, Neb., March 1, 1866, to Huldah Montgomery, native of New York.
WILLIAM W. MARSH, manager of the Street Railroad, also superintendent of the Wyoming Stage Company, he also owns one-half interest in the Glencoe Mills. He first settled in Nebraska, in Dakota County, in 1856, and engaged in carrying the United States Mail above Dakota City and Sioux City, on the Missouri River until 1862, at which time he quit the same, and in the fall of 1862, he bought an interest in the ferry franchise at Omaha, and settled there in February, 1863, and took charge of the Council Bluffs and Nebraska Ferry Company, he also had charge of the Missouri River Transfer Company, overseeing the running of it, which finally merged into the Union Pacific Transfer Company, which was run until the completion of the U. P. R. R. bridge, across the Missouri River, in the spring of 1871. He bought the controlling interest in the street car road, and took charge July 1, 1873, and has continued in that capacity since. The firm name of the Glencoe Mills is known as Marsh & Smith, formed in the fall of 1880. The organization of the Wyoming Stage Company was effected in 1878, at which time he became superintendent of the same. He was born in Rutland County, Vt., October 14, 1832, was married in Ida County, Iowa, January, 1863, to Miss Flora M. Atwood, who was born in Livermore, Me. They have four sons, names Charles, Frank, William and Allen. Mr. M. has been a member of the City Council, and has also been connected with school matters.
W. F. MARSH, firm of W. F. Marsh & Co., packers and meat preservers, and proprietors of the Keystone Meat Market, 808 S. Tenth street. Is a native of Canada. In 1861 came with his parents to Boone County, Iowa; in 1871 they removed to Lincoln, Neb., where his father carried on four of the largest shops in the city. He also built and operated the packing house there. His father died in the spring of 1876, aged forty-two years. Soon after his father's death he removed to Omaha and was employed with J. F. Sheeley & Co., where he continued July 10, 1881, when he started this business, which is rapidly increasing under his honest and courteous treatment. Married in the fall of 1878 to Miss Lina Wheeler, of Utica, N. Y. They have one son, Harry.
JOHN M. MARSTON, painter, house, sign and ornamental. He also does contracting, and generally employs from two to four men. He located in Omaha in November 18, 1855. He first engaged in his present occupation and has since followed the same. His father, George H. Marston, was a painter by trade, and it was with him that his son John gained a knowledge of the art. He, John M., was born in Deerfield, Rockingham Co., N. H., February 13, 1835. His parents moved to Brighton, Kenosha Co., Wis., and there they lived until the fall of 1845, when they moved to Appleton, Wis., where his parents still reside. He lived there until he came to Omaha at the above date. He was married March 1, 1868, in Omaha to Miss Elizabeth Abercrombie, a native of West Virginia. She died February 26, 1881; He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church on Eighteenth street. Mr. M. has seen Omaha grow up from a few log shanties to its present size.
C. A. MARTIN, register clerk Railway Mail Service, was born in Greene County, N. Y., April 15, 1828. Worked in cotton mills in his native State for sixteen years, holding from the lowest to the highest positions. In January, 1869, became connected with the Railway Mail Service on the Rockford, Rock Island & St. Louis R. R., what is now known as the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy. Continued on this run until 1879, when he was transferred to his present route between Davenport, Iowa and Omaha, Neb. Mr. M. is a member of the I. O. O. F.
JAMES P. MARTIN, Assistant Adjutant General U. S. A., Department of the Platte, born in Louisville, Ky., September 27, 1836, and resided there until 1855. He graduated in 1860 at West Point, and was stationed in Northern California, being brevetted Second Lieutenant of Infantry July 1, 1860. He served in Newport Barracks in 1860, and at Fort Bragg, Cal., in 1860-61, scouting among the Indians of California; from 1861 to 1866 he served in the Rebellion. He was promoted to First Lieutenant Seventh Infantry May 14, 1861. He was acting Adjutant General of Cavalry, Army of the Potomac, from January 10 to July 4, 1862; in the defenses of Washington from January 10 to March 10; in the Peninsular campaign, Army of the Potomac, from March to August, 1862, being engaged in the siege of Yorktown, April 5 to May 4, 1862; in the battles of Williamsburg, Gaines' Mill and Malvern Hill; in the Maryland campaign as acting Aid-de-camp to McClellan, September to November, 1862; at Antietam and South Mountain in September, 1862, and on the march to Warrenton, Va., October and November, 1862, acting Aid-de-camp to Gen. Heintzelman at Washington, November, 1862, to February, 1863; acting Assistant Adjutant General in the discharge office at Washington February to May, 1863; promoted to Captain of the Seventh Infantry, January 2, 1863; in command of his company on the Rappahannock, May to June, 1863; in the Pennsylvania campaign, June and July, 1863; at Gettysburg July 2, 1863; brevetted Major for gallantry at that battle; in pursuit of the enemy to Warrenton, Va., July, 1863; Adjutant General of the Second Division Fifth Army Corps, August, 1861, to February, 1864. He was engaged in the suppression of the New York draft riots and in garrison in the harbor defenses of New York, August 10 to September 20, 1863; acting Adjutant General of the Cavalry Bureau at Washington, D. C., February 2, 1864, to October 1, 1866. Brevetted Lieutenant-Colonel July 2, 1865, for faithful and meritorious services. On special duty in the department of Washington October to November 1866; in command at Lake City, Fla., November, 1866, to March 1867; at St. Augustine, Fla., until September, 1867; at Fernandina, Fla., to October, 1867; at Fort Clinch, Fla, until August, 1868. At Jacksonville September, until 1868 and at Fernandina again until December 19, 1868. On leave of absence January and February, 1869, on duty at headquarters U. S. A. to April 1869; Assistant Adjutant General Department of the Cumberland May 8, 1869, to March 1870. In the Adjutant General's office at Washington March 5, 1870, to June 7, 1875; at Prescott, Ari., August 31, 1875, to October 2, 1880; in Adjutant General;'s office at Washington November 5, 1880, to January 13, 1881; Adjutant General Department of Texas, January 24, 1881, to June 2,1881; Inspector General, same Department, June 2 to August 27, 1881; on inspection duty, Department of the Platte, in September, 1881; Adjutant General, Department of the Platte, October 1, 1881. He was married in Washington in 1864 to Alice Bacon, a native of Washington, D. C. They have two children, Ethel Ainsworth and Lulie.
MATTHEW S. MARTINOVICH, manager for A. Rosenbery, planing mill, contractor and builder, was born in Montenegro in 1852. Came to America in 1872. Was a student at the Golden Gate Academy at Oakland, Cal., for some time. Was then in the employ of Egerhardt & Co., spice mills, San Francisco, Cal., for seven years as manager of the establishment. Came to Nebraska, November, 1880. Located in Omaha and entered upon present duties.
EDWIN R. MATHIS, locomotive engineer U. P. R. R., was born at Dover, Delaware, in 1841. When quite young he moved to Iowa. Enlisted in 1862 in Twelfth Iowa Infantry as private and served until January 6, 1866. When mustered out, he held the rank of a non-commissioned officer. Came to Nebraska April 7, 1866. Located at Omaha and entered the employ of the U. P. R. R. as fireman. Was engaged in that capacity for eighteen months. Then employed as day dispatcher eighteen months, and at the same time was employed in the machine department of the road. Afterwards engaged as a locomotive engineer on the Western Division of U. P. R. R. for eight months, during which time was located at Bryant and Wahsatch, Utah. Returning to Omaha was employed as a fireman eleven months. Engineer on switch engine for six months, then ran the company's fire engine for eighteen months, then engineer on freight trains and on ferry dummy until he was appointed engineer of a passenger train in the spring of 1880. He was married at Elkhorn, Neb., in 1873, to Laura V. Lockridge, a native of Indiana. They have two children, Edwin L., and Helen Irene.
W. G. MAUL, member of the firm of Tootle, Maul & Co., dealers in general merchandise, is a native of Cumberland County, N. J. Has been engaged in the dry goods business since he was fourteen years of age. Removed to Omaha in the spring of 1862. Had charge of Mr. Tootle's business at Sioux City for some time.
EDWARD MAURER, saloon and restaurant, 1214 Farnam street, Omaha. Mr. Maurer was born in Baden, Germany in 1851. In 1871 he came to this country and settled in New York City and took up his business of restaurant and saloon, which he had followed through Germany, France, Switzerland and Italy, and after spending two years at it in New York City he went to Newark, N. J., and stopped one year and a half. He then went to Boston and stayed two years, then to Chicago and spent one year there, then to St. Louis, but soon after came to Omaha where he opened his present business which he has successfully followed since.
REV. JOHN B. MAXFIELD, presiding elder of Omaha District Methodist Episcopal Church, was born at Syracuse, N. Y. February 24, 1833. Studied medicine three years and came to Kansas in 1857, and to Nebraska in 1860, locating at Beatrice, Gage County. Entered the ministry of the Methodist Episcopal Church in 1861, serving the Beatrice circuit three years. In 1862 was stationed at De Soto. In 1863 was appointed to Decatur, but removed in June of that year by the presiding elder of the Omaha District and placed on the Pawnee Reservation as superintendent of the Pawnee manual labor school. Remained there until 1867. Was stationed at Bellevue for two years, and in 1869 was at Mount Pleasant, Neb. In 1870 was stationed at Plattsmouth. From 1871 to 1875 was presiding elder of the Beatrice District. From 1875 to 1879 was presiding elder of the North Nebraska District. From 1879 to 1881 was Pastor of the First Methodist Episcopal Church, Omaha. In 1881 was appointed presiding elder of the Omaha District. Was a member of the first Board of Regents for the Nebraska State University, serving a term of six years. Was married to his present wife, Miss Mary M. Elcock, at Van Wert, Ohio May 8, 1878, a native of that State.
MICHAEL MAY, of May & Bleumle, contractors and builders, was born in Germany, in 1849. Learned the trade of carpenter and was employed at it for several years. Came to America in 1869. Was employed as a journeyman carpenter for some four years at Chicago, Ill. At Detroit, Mich., for two years and for two years carried on business as a contractor and builder at the same place. He came to Nebraska in 1877. Located at Omaha and was employed as a journeyman carpenter for two years. Then engaged in business as a contractor and builder which business he conducted alone up to June, 1881, when he entered into partnership with S. Bleumle. They employ some twelve men, have built quite a number of private houses, and are now engaged in building Kesler's theatre. Mr. May was married at Chicago in 1872, to Kate Cisek, a native of Germany.
F. E. MAYNARD, foreman carpenter shop Omaha Deaf and Dumb Institute. Was born in Lake County, Ill., June 8, 1854. Learned carpenter trade in Waukegan and in 1877 moved to Nebraska. Settled in Omaha and followed his trade until appointed to present position about 1879. Mr. M. is a member of the A., F. & A. M. and of the I. O. O. F.
CHARLES J. MENTER, proprietor of a livery, sale and feed stable, 108 and 110 N. Sixteenth street. He began business in the spring of 1879, he has a fair amount of horses and carriages, with which to accommodate the traveling public. He also makes a specialty of transient custom. He first located in Omaha in 1868, and had charge of the transfer of baggage, and the U. S. Mail, etc., for Mr. James Stephenson about three years. He then worked for the United States Express Company eighteen months, after which he worked for a wholesale flour and feed store about five years. Then began the above business. He was born in Cortland County, N. Y., March 30, 1847. He was married in Omaha, Neb., October, 1872, to Miss Mattie E. McElhany, who was born in Guernsey County, Ohio. Mr. Menter is a member of the Knights of Honor, a mutual insurance society.
JOHN REID MEREDITH, deceased. Mr. Meredith was a native of Pennsylvania. He was born in the now historic town of Gettysburg, April 15, 1820. His parents were old residents of that town. He removed with them to Pittsburgh, Pa., in 1832, and began life as a clerk in a mercantile establishment in that city. While earning his own livelihood he prepared himself with an education that fitted him for teaching, and engaged in this calling in a an academy for boys at Steubenville, Ohio. He soon rose to the position of principal of the academy, which he held for several years, in conjunction with Rev. Joseph Wilson. Grasping for a higher walk in life, the young man, during this educational work, began the study of law in the office of Daniel L. Collier, one of the leading lawyers of Ohio, and of the country at that time, where the late Edwin M. Stanton had preceded him as a law student. He was admitted to the bar in 1849, and practiced law in Steubenville for a number of years. He was chosen District Attorney of that city, and filled the office with ability and faithfulness, and to the entire satisfaction of his fellow citizens. In 1856 he removed to Cincinnati, but not being contented there, he resolved to turn his face westward, and the spring of 1857 found him in Omaha, where he spent the remainder of his life. Mr. Meredith practiced law alone until 1865, when he took into partnership Mr. George W. Doane. He continued in active practice until September 5, 1871, when he suffered a paralytic seizure, which affected his whole right side. Partially recovering from this attack, he was able to walk and ride about, but he never recovered from the shock. No medical skill could do more than palliate the disease, which slowly, but steadily progressed until death removed him from these earthly scenes and sufferings. Mr. Meredith was married to Miss Annie M. Collier, eldest daughter of his law preceptor, December 30, 1852, who still survives him. The Omaha Herald of October 22, 1880, editorially says: "The death of John R. Meredith removes from among us one of Omaha's oldest inhabitants, and best respected citizens. Honest, despising everything that was low and mean, he illustrated the manly virtues of an upright life and a force of character that was natural to a man of conscience and convictions. He was a Democrat in early years, but his sympathy with the oppressed drew him into anti-slavery views, when Abolitionists were a hissing among those who now claim to be the exclusive liberators of the American Slave. He early joined the Free Soil party, and was a Republican all the subsequent years of his life. At the outbreak of the Rebellion he enlisted as a private soldier in the Guards at Washington City, for the protection of the Capitol. Mr. Meredith was strongly endorsed for United States District Judge, now filled by Judge Dundy. John R. Meredith was a man of strong religious sentiment and convictions, and it is perhaps the one crowning glory of his long and useful life, as well as of his death, that he lived and died a consistent Christian, Uniting with the Presbyterian body in his early manhood, he has been a leading light and guide in that religious organization in this city and State for twenty-three years. Mr. Meredith may be properly said to have been one of the leading fathers and founders of the Presbyterian Church in this city. He was one of the Elders in the First Presbyterian Church, and held the same position in the Second, at its organization, and remained such until his death. John R. Meredith was a strong and sturdy man in moral force. His influence and example were always for good, and thousands will unite with the writer of his meagre tribute, in testifying to his unblemished character, and his useful life. His death causes universal regret in this community, where he has been so long respected and esteemed."
[Portrait of S. D. Mercer, M. D.]
SAMUEL D. MERCER, M. D., physician and surgeon, located in Omaha November 9, 1866, and has been engaged in practice here since that time. He was born in Marion County, Ill., June 13, 1842. He received his literary education at McKendree College, Illinois, and his medical education at the University of Michigan, the Chicago Medical College and at the Berkshire Medical College of Massachusetts. Dr. Mercer is the professor of clinical surgery in the Omaha Medical College, and President of the Board of Directors of that institution. He is chief surgeon of the Union Pacific Railroad Company. He is President of the Board of United States Pension Examiners. He was secretary of the Nebraska Medical Association for seven years after its organization, and served as Assistant Surgeon of the One Hundred and Forty-ninth Regiment Illinois Volunteers before coming to Nebraska. He is at present a corresponding member of the Boston Gynecological Society. He is also a member of the Omaha Board of Trade; Capitol Lodge No. 3, A., F. & A. M., and Omaha Pathological Society. He is surgeon of the Omaha Smelting Works and local surgeon of the B. & M., R. R. The Doctor is the author of a work on spinal curvature and treatment of spinal diseases. In February, 1868, he made a motion to appoint a committee to correspond with reputable members of the profession in regard to the organization of a State medical society, which resulted in the present Nebraska State Medical Society.
C. W. MEAD, Omaha, is a native of New York and was born in the village of Smyrna, Chenango County, April 9, 1830. When he was seventeen years of age he went to Detroit, Mich., and clerked in a store three years, from there he moved to Laporte, Ind., and was engaged first in the grocery, and afterward in the dry goods business. In 1857 he went to Chicago and for two years held the position of general agent of the C., B. & Q. R. R. and then as its assistant superintendent for five years. From the year 1864 he was general superintendent of the Hannibal and St. Joe R. R. Up to 1869, when he came to Omaha, and was appointed assistant general superintendent Union Pacific Railroad, which position he held until 1872, from which time to 1876 he was general manager of the Northern Pacific Railroad, and for eighteen months after general superintendent of the Missouri Pacific Railway, St. Louis, while that road was in the hands of a receiver. In January, 1879, he returned to Omaha, and was elected president of the Omaha Smelting Company in which works he held an interest since its organization in 1870, and continued in that position until his disposal of his interest in 1881. Mr. Mead was also one of the organizers of the Omaha White Lead Company, and its first president. He is also president of the Omaha Shot Company and also of the Omaha Electric Company. Since January, 1882, he has also held a one-half interest in the Ladies' Furnishing House of A. M. Kurtz. Mr. Mead was married November 11, 1857, to Miss Eliza Lee, a daughter of Warren and Eliza Lee, of Sturgis, Mich., at Sturgis. She died in New York City November 12, 1873. They had six children, three living, Charles H., Mary B. and Sarah A. Three died, Bessie L. and John and Eliza, twins. Mr. Mead is a member of Quincy Lodge No. 296, A., F. & A. M., of Quincy, Ill., and also of the Quincy Commandery.
WILLIAM O. MERGELL, of P. Windheim & Co., painters and decorators, born in Brooklyn, N. Y., January 1, 1847. Learned trade of painter there at the age of eighteen years, and was employed at it up to 1871. Came to Nebraska in 1871, located in Omaha; was employed by the U. P. Railroad Company some three and a half years, lettering and decorating their cars, and then as decorating sign writer in Omaha for three years; entered present business 1879, in company with P. Windheim. Married in Brooklyn, N. Y., in 1864, to Sophia Harraden, native of England. They have seven children--Alice J., William B., Mable C., John Edward, Charles F., Josephine F., and Sophia H.
LAURESTON ALPHONSO MERRIAM, M. D., physician and surgeon, was born in Malone, Franklin Co., N. Y., December 7, 1843. He is of new England parentage. He received a classical and scientific education at the Franklin Academy, Malone, graduating in 1867, and continuing his studies at the University of Michigan, graduated from thence with the degree of M. D., March 26, 1873. He was married at Waukau, Wis., April 8, 1873, to Miss Mattie D. Carter, a native of New York State. He commenced practice at Berlin, Wis., and at Cresco, Iowa, during the interim of medical lectures at the University. After graduating he returned to Cresco, and continued in practice there until the spring of 1879, giving his attention largely to the study of scientific subjects, and the diseases of the nervous system. He spent the following summer and ensuring winter in New York City, matriculating at Bellevue Hospital Medical College, and the medical department of the University of New York, giving special attention to diseases of the nervous system. Returned to Cresco, he determined to seek a better field, and located in Omaha, Neb., June 1, 1881. During his sojourn in Iowa, he was secretary and treasurer of the Howard County Medical Society, delegate to the American Medial Association 1876, and has been secretary, treasurer, vice-president and president of the North Iowa Medical Society. He is now attending physician and surgeon to "The Child's Hospital." Omaha. Member of the Academy of Medicine and Surgery. He is also an A., F. & A. M. and R. A. M. His wife, Mattie D. Merriam, a successful sketch writer, has been given the name of "The 'Fanny Fern' of the West". She is a contributor to the New York Weekly and several other papers and periodicals.
N. MERRIAM, firm of Himebaugh & Merriam, shippers and dealers in grain, Mr. M., was born in Merrimac, N. H., November 24, 1849, where he lived till 1863, when he moved to Derry, N. H.. He graduated at Pinkerton Academy, Derry, class of 1866. The same year he taught two schools, one in his own town and one in Methuen, Mass. The year following he entered Dartmouth College, Hanover, N. H., where he remained only one year. In 1868 he went to Washington, D. C., where he was engaged in the study of medicine and the drug business for one year, then went to Boston, Mass., and engaged in the drug business one year, then went to Chicago, Ill., and followed the commission business for one year, after which he went to Nebraska. During the following three years, he was engaged in the shipping of grain from various points in the State to eastern and western markets. He was married in 1875 to Miss Alice T. Gale, who, was born in Plattsburg, Vt., May 1857. He was a Delegate to the State Convention at Fremont, Neb., to elect Delegates to the National Convention at Cincinnati in 1876, for the nomination of President of the United States. Mr. M. located in Omaha, Neb., in the fall of 1876, and engaged in the grain trade, having bought out C. W. Lyman's interest in the Union Elevator, since which time he has followed the above mentioned business in company with P. C. Himebaugh. He is a member of the Second Presbyterian Church of Omaha.
FREDERICK METZ, surviving member of the firm of Metz Bros., brewers and malsters, Omaha. Mr. Metz was born in Hessel-Cassel, Germany, 1832, and was educated to the profession of forester there. In 1851 he came to America; landed in New Orleans, and settled in St. Louis the same year, where he was identified actively with the mercantile business till 1857, when he came to Nebraska and located at Bellevue and carried on merchandising there till 1862. In that year he went to Denver, Colo., and established a wholesale and commission business in general merchandise, which he ably conducted till 1864, when he returned to Nebraska and located here, where he has been prominently identified with his present business since. In 1855 he was married to Miss Louisa Beate Gesser, in St. Louis. She was born and reared there, and departed this life in 1873, and is buried in Prospect Hill Cemetery here, leaving a family of four sons and three daughters,--Minnie, now Mrs. Richard Siemon, of Canton, Ohio; Estelle, now Mrs. Ferdinand Schroeder, of Omaha; Charles Frederick, Jr., Tony, Arthur and Louis. In 1877 he married Miss Adele Wassmer, who was born in Holstein, Germany, and reared in Nebraska. They have a family of one son and daughter, Herman and Louisa. Mr. Metz has always been an active worker in the development of the social and industrial welfare of his locality. In 1871 he accepted the position of Representative for this district in the Senate and Legislature of his State, and has taken an active interest in the general growth of the city.
HERMANN MEYER, billiard hall, 205 and 207 S. Thirteenth street, Omaha. Dealer in wines, liquors and cigars, also wholesale and retail dealer in imported and imitation Swiss cheese. Was born in Switzerland in 1841. In 1869 he came to this country, and settled in Omaha, where he has been identified with the business industries of the place since. In 1872 he was married to Miss Margaret Jacobson, who was born in Denmark, in 1853. They have a family of two daughters, Bertie and Katie, and two sons, Freddie and Baby.
JULIUS MEYER, of the firm of Max Meyer & Co., dealers in jewelry, musical instruments, etc.; was born in Bromberg, Prussia, May 18, 1851. Was educated at the Conservatory of Music at that place. Emigrated to America in December, 1867, and located in Omaha.
CHARLES MIDGLEY, foreman flue department, in the employ of the U. P. R. R. Co.; was born on March 30, 1839, at Leeds, England; and before leaving there was engaged in the machine business for about seven years, and after coming to this country worked on the Hudson River R. R. for about two years; then was engaged by the New York Central R. R., as well as other railway companies. In 1856-57 worked at Springfield, Ill., in stationary shop, then was employed by the Mobile & Ohio R. R. as machinist. After the war went to Wisconsin and remained there a short time; returned to Illinois, and was employed by the Chicago, Alton & St. Louis R. R. Co. Then went East, and was employed by the N. Y. C. R. R. Co. for about two years; and in March, 1868, located here, coming from Syracuse, N. Y., and was engaged by the U. P. R. R. Co. as flue setter, and was made foreman. Married February, 1876, to Elizabeth Bergo, at Omaha, who was born in New York in the year 1851. Have two children, son and daughter, both born here. Mr. M. is a member of the I. O. O. F. since 1854; as Past Grand and Past Chief Patriarch of Encampment; also member of Knights of Honor for one and a half years. His wife is also a member of different benevolent societies.
REV. THOMAS H. MILES, S. J., president of Creighton College, was born in Nelson County, Ky., August 11, 1831. Was educated at St. Joseph's College, Ky., and graduated there in 1850. Was then at the Novitiate of St. Stanislaus, Florisant, Mo., for some years. He was ordained at Bardstown, Ky., by Bishop Spalding, of Louisville, Ky., in August, 1861, was then engaged in St. Joseph's College, Bardstown, as instructor some ten years; afterward in Maryland for one year, then at St. Xavier College, Cincinnati, Ohio, for ten years, and was afterward president of St. Ignatius College, Ill., for three years. He came to Nebraska in August, 1880, and since that time has been engaged in present capacity.
EZRA MILLARD, president of Omaha National Bank, is a native of Hamilton, Canada. Removed from there to Dubuque in 1850, and to Omaha in October, 1856, and became a member of the firm of Barrows, Millard & Co., land agents. In 1860 that firm commenced a banking business. He remained with that firm until the firm of Millard, Caldwell & Co., was organized, and was a member of the latter firm until 1870. He was for many years engaged in the grain business, and is now treasurer of the Union Elevator Co., and is one of the directors of the Omaha Hotel Association. Mr. Millard has been president of the Omaha National Bank since its organization in 1866. In many ways he has been identified with the material interests of Omaha. His liberal investments in magnificent business structures, indicate his confidence in the continued prosperity of the city.
DAVID N. MILLER, Sheriff of Douglas County, came to Omaha in the fall of 1868. He engaged in railroading on the Union Pacific as brakeman, and remained in that capacity until 1871, when he was made conductor. In the fall of 1881 he was elected Sheriff. He was born in Bronson Township, Branch Co., Mich., July 26, 1843. He lived there until he enlisted August 24, 1861, at Sturgis, Mich.. He was mustered out in September, 1864, having served with his command in all engagements except Chickamauga. He was married to Margaret Ganghan, who died in 1876 leaving one child Luly A. Mr. Miller is a member of the A., F. & A. M.
DR. GEORGE L. MILLER was born in Booneville, Oneida Co., N. Y., July 1, 1831. When seventeen years of age he went to Syracuse, N. Y. and entered the office of Dr. Hiram Hoyt, with whom he remained about five years. He also attended a course of medical lectures at Geneva, and graduated in the spring of 1852 from the College of Physicians and Surgeons in New York City under Prof. Parker. He then returned to Syracuse, where he entered upon the practice of his chosen profession, and was appointed City Physician and Physician of the Poor House. In 1854 he resigned his position, and in company with his father, Lorin Miller, settled in Omaha October 19, where he immediately entered upon the practice of his profession, being the first practicing physician in the city. Was appointed Chief Clerk of the Council in the First Legislative Assembly. In 1855 he was elected to the Council in which he served some three terms. In 1861 he was appointed by Lincoln as sutler at Ft. Kearney, which position he held for three years. Was acting surgeon with Gen. Harney in his campaign. In 1861 he engaged in the mercantile trade at Ft. Kearney, following this about three years. In 1864 he returned to Omaha and was candidate for Member of Congress, but was defeated. In 1865 he established the Omaha Herald, and has remained as its editor ever since.
LORIN MILLER came to Omaha in October, 1854. Was born in Westmoreland, Oneida Co., N. Y., in January, 1800. Lived in Syracuse for two or three years. Prior to coming to Omaha he was engaged on public works. After locating in Omaha he was engaged more or less for several years in surveying lands and additions to the city. Has been Mayor one term.