|SECTION 1: The Early Days||SECTION 2: More Early Days|
|SECTION 3: Omaha in 1870||SECTION 4: Present Day (1882)|
|SECTION 5: Crimes||SECTION 6: Fires and Public Works|
|SECTION 7: Health, Parks, Mail||SECTION 8: The Press in Omaha|
|SECTION 9: Press Continued||SECTION 10: Religious|
|SECTION 11: Religious (cont.)||SECTION 12: Cemetery and Schools|
|SECTION 13: Legal and Medical||SECTION 14: Opera House-Hotels-Business|
|SECTION 15: Societies||SECTION 16: Societies (Cont.)|
|SECTION 17: Business||SECTION 18: Manufacturing|
|SECTION 19: Manufacturing (cont.)|
20 - 46:
** Omaha Biographical Sketches **|
| ABLE~BARRIGER | BARTLETT~BOYD | BOYER~BURNHAM |
| BURR~CONKLING | COFFMAN~CREIGHTON |
| CRITTENTON~DIETZ | DINSMOOR~FAWCETT |
| FEARON~GAYLORD | GELATTE~GROSSMANN |
| GROSS~HAVENS | HAWES~HOILE |
| HOLDREDGE~JORGENSEN | JOSLYN~LEISENRING |
| LEHMAN~LOWE | LUDINGTON~MARHOFF |
| MANNING~MILLER | MILLSPAUGH~NINDEL |
| O'CONNOR~PEABODY | PAUL~READ | REDICK~ROGERS |
| ROSENBERY~SCOTT | SEAMAN~SIMPSON | SINCERE~STONE |
| STORZ~UMPHRESON | URLAU~WILBUR | WILDE~WOOD |
| WOODARD~ZEHRUNG | West Omaha Precinct | Douglas Precinct |
List of Illustrations in Douglas County Chapter
[Portrait of Chas. M. Dinsmoor]
CHARLES M. DINSMOOR, A. M., M. D., came to Omaha in March, 1878, and has since practiced medicine here. He is proprietor of an extensive sanitarium, covering an area of 2,240 square feet, and comprising fifteen rooms. The electric facilities are superior to anything of the kind in this part of the West. Dr. Dinsmoor was born in Windsor County, Vt., August 1, 1828, living there until twenty-three years of age. He pursued his literary studies at Kimball Union Academy, Meriden, N. H., and at Waterville College, in Maine. He studied medicine with Dr. Ira Warren, of Boston; Dr. Horace Green of New York City, at the Vermont Medical College, the Eclectic Medical College, New York, a partial course at Harvard, at the Missouri Homeopathic Medical College, St. Louis, Mo., and at the Hahnemann Medical College, Chicago, Ill. He has practiced medicine in Massachusetts, Indiana, Missouri and Nebraska, and is a member of the Northwestern Homeopathic Medical Society, and of the Nebraska State Homeopathic Society, of which he is president. The Doctor has been engaged in practice now for twenty years. He has facilities for all kinds of electrical treatment, having all the modern appliances. He has invested over $4,000 in his sanitarium, and draws a large and lucrative practice from the better classes. The Turkish bath is fast becoming one of the leading medical adjuncts of modern practice. It is practically an American Institution, after being tested by a quarter of a century's experience in Great Britain and other European countries. It is regarded as the safest and most reliable cure for all classes of disease. As a prophylactic it is unequaled. It cleanses the skin and removes all effete matter that accumulates upon its surface. It opens the pores and establishes a healthy action of the perspiratory tubes. It removes from the blood the impurities which cause disease. It equalizes the circulation. It renders the skin less susceptible to changes of the weather. It promotes absorption and removes the system all superfluous deposits that have accumulated in the tissues. It strengthens and toughens the tissues of the whole body, greatly lessening the liability to disease. It soothes and strengthens the nerves, promotes sleep and preserves health. It aids digestion and assimilation, and tends to establish a healthy action of all the organs of the body. It takes the place of exercise for those leading sedentary or indoor lives, as every muscle of the body is thoroughly exercised while in the hands of the manipulator. This bath should be taken once a week by every lady and gentleman. It is adapted more especially to young men and women. By pursuing such a course they would preserve a more perfect condition of health, be less liable to disease, and better able to meet the requirements of life, both business and social. This bath is neither severe nor debilitating--a child can take it--and in case of debility and prostration we give it most frequently and obtain the best results. Patients frequently gain a half a pound a day. This bath is particularly valuable in derangements and irregularities to which many ladies are subject. It increases and restores vitality, opens the pores and purifies the blood, and excels all cosmetics for the beautification of the complexion. Dr. Dinsmoor has made this subject one of long and profound study, and to-day ranks with the most successful in the treatment of disease by this method. He has the assistance of the best help in the country, and affords opportunities to the invalid for improvement rarely to be found elsewhere.
HENRY DITZEN, groceries and provisions, commenced business about 1878, succeeding Ripen & Ditzen. Carries a stock of about $3,000; yearly sales amount to $30,000. He was born in Hanover, Germany, May 18, 1856. Came to the United States in 1871. Remained in new York City for a time, and in 1872 removed to Nebraska, settled in Omaha, and engaged in clerking until 1876, when he went into business. He was married in Omaha, December 31, 1878 to Miss Marie Feldskamp. She was born in Germany. They have one child, William. Mr. D. is a member of the Turn Verien.
HON. GEORGE W. DOANE, attorney-at-law, was born in Circleville, Ohio, December 16, 1824, and was reared at that place. Received his education at Marietta College, graduating from that institution in 1845. Was admitted to the bar in Ohio in 1848. Removed to the Territory of Nebraska in April, 1857, and located at Decatur, Burt County. Was elected District Attorney of the Third Judicial District in the summer of 1857, holding that position until the office was changed to Prosecuting Attorney for each county. Resided at Decatur until the fall of 1859. Was elected member of the Territorial Council in 1858, and was ex-officio Probate Judge for a short time in Dakota County. In 1860 he located at Fort Calhoun, where he resided and was engaged in the practice of his profession until 1862. He then went East and spent the winter with friends. While there he was persuaded to remain in Cincinnati, Ohio, where he practiced law until November, 1864, when he returned to Nebraska and located in Omaha. Was elected Prosecuting Attorney in 1865, serving in that capacity two years. Was a member of the last Territorial Legislature in 1867. Was a member of the City Council of Omaha in 1868 and elected to the State Senate in 1880. Mr. D. was married in Keokuk, Iowa, October 25, 1859, to Emily R. Greenhow, a native of Vincennes, Indiana, grand-daughter of the celebrated Dr. Greenhow, of Richmond, Va. They have five children living: Cora A., Guy R., William G., Cornelia Daisy and George W., Jr.
JOSEPH DOHERTY, stock dealer, residence, W. S. Division, N. Cuming street, Omaha. He was born in Brown County, Ohio, in 1840, remaining there until February, 1862, when he enlisted in the Eleventh Ohio Cavalry. He served four years and received an honorable discharge at Omaha in 1866, where he has since lived. He engaged in freighting for several years; he also held the office of Constable one term. He then engaged in the dairy business until 1877, when he began dealing in livestock, which he now follows. He was married in October, 1866, to Miss Emeline Hotaling. They have three children.
REV. ROBERT H. DOHERTY, M. A., Rector of Brownell Hall and Canon of Trinity Cathedral, came to Nebraska in 1874. Located at Grand Island. Was Rector of St. Stephen's Episcopal Church until May, 1875, when he came to Omaha. Was chaplain of Bishop Clarkson and assistant at Trinity Cathedral for a year during which time he was professor of science at Brownell Hall. Was appointed Canon of Trinity Cathedral in May, 1876, and has held that position since, together with that of Rector of Brownell Hall. Has also been District Presbyter since the spring of 1879. Born in Ireland, March 7, 1844. Came to America in 1860. Resided in Canada. Was a student at Brantford from 1863 to 1866 when he entered Trinity College at Toronto, Canada. Graduated there in 1870, and graduated in theology in 1872. Was incumbent of St. John's Church, Drayton, Canada, for about two years. Married at Omaha in August 1876, to Emma Windsor, native of Baltimore, Md.
WILLIAM DOLL, assessor and real estate owner. Residence 807 Pierce street. He was born in Baden, Germany, in 1826, learning his trade with his father who had a cabinet shop. He was in the war in Baden in 1849. He afterwards was in Pesth, Vienna, Augsburg, in Bavaria, and other places in Europe. He came to America in 1853, locating in Syracuse, N. Y., where he remained four years working at his trade of cabinet-making. In 1854 he married Miss Lina Gerver. He moved to Omaha in April, 1857, and engaged in carpentering, there being no demand in Omaha at that time for cabinet work. He and his brother were partners, having a large shop on Tenth street, employing thirty men a great part of the time until 1869 when he retired from business. He has not engaged in any business since except a year and a half that he was engaged upon the cabinet work on the new post office building, on the corner of Fifteenth and Dodge. Mr. Doll has been elected Assessor of the First Ward eight times. He has a picture of Omaha Landing taken in 1866. Mrs. Doll was born in Baden in 1833. She came to America in 1852, locating at Buffalo and afterwards going to Syracuse.
A. H. DONECKEN, contractor and builder. Born in Lehigh County, Penn., in 1844. Learned the trade of carpenter there and was employed at it for some years. Came to Nebraska in April, 1875. Located in Omaha. Was employed by the U. P. R. R. Company (assisted in building the first passenger and freight car on that road) for three years. Was in charge of the car building department for the last nine months that he was in their service. Was then employed as a carpenter for some years. Was also engaged in business as an undertaker for two years, in company with John Henry. Was engaged in millwrighting through the State for twenty-three months. Was then engaged in furniture business for two years. Commenced present business in 1874 and has continued it since. Built Douglas County Jail in city of Omaha and Omaha Medical College. Erected a large hospital and guard house for the Government at Fort Sanders, and the main building of the State fair grounds at Omaha. Married at Omaha in 1866 to Sallie Buchanan, native of Illinois. They have two children, Frank and Jessie.
W. V. DOOLITTLE, store keeper, paintshop U. P. R. R. Co. Was born August 12, 1820 at Wallingford, Conn., and went to school at New Haven, Conn., with Munson E. Pierpont, and after leaving school was apprenticed to the carpenter trade for one year and a half, then went south to Savannah, Ga., and was there for two and one-half years, then returned home and engaged in business as builder and contractor on his own account, and carried on the same for about twelve years. Then went to Davenport, Iowa, and built the jail, then went to Durant, Iowa, and purchased an eighty acre farm and farmed for about ten years and then sold out and went to Iron Ridge, Wis., and became general agent for the Sweeds Iron Company, and acted as same for one year. Then came here in the spring of 1866 and was engaged by the U. P. R. R. Company as carpenter, April, 1867, and in August was made superintendent of buildings and water department for three years. Then left their employ and went to Utah and was connected with the Utah Mining and Smelting Co., of London, for about two years. Returned here and was engaged again by the U. P. R. R. Company as store-keeper of paint shops. On the 20th of February, 1867, received a testimonial of a gold watch and chain, valued at $350, from his employers as a mark of high esteem in which they held him. War married in July, 1845, to Mary Bushnell, who was born at Madison, Conn. Has six children, Wallace, Edward, Cornelius, Mary Louisa, two daughters married, one now Mrs. William Fleming and the other Mrs. Charles Fogg. Member of the Masonic order since 1855, also I. O. O. F. since 1843.
AUGUST DORN, dye works corner Sixteenth and Chicago streets, Omaha. Mr. Dorn was born in Prussia, 1824, and followed the business of dyer through Prussia, Poland, Russia, Turkey, Greece, Switzerland, Denmark and Germany. In 1866 he came to this country and followed his business in Illinois for eight years after which he returned to Denmark. But after two years he came back and after a stay of three years in Illinois he came to Omaha where he has been identified with his business since. November 13, 1857, he was married to Miss Christiana Sixtus, who was born in Denmark, 1831. They have a family of two daughters, Emma Augusta now Mrs. Olsen, and Emily Matilda.
RUDOLPH DORN, secretary of the Western Horse and Cattle Insurance Co., of Omaha, Neb., the capital of which is $100,000, and is doing a fine business. He was born in Germany, in February, 1850; he was a member of a military academy five years at Munich, in Bavaria, and graduated November 19, 1868; and in July, 1871, he went into the horse and cattle life insurance business, being general agent, and he was thus engaged nine years. He emigrated to America; arrived in June, 1880, and immediately went to Omaha, Neb., and engaged in the above line of business as secretary and manager. After graduating from the military academy in Munich, Bavaria, he was appointed Second Lieutenant in the Bavarian army; served during the Franco-Prussian war, and at the end of the war, July 5, 1870, he became the manager of the military hospital in Munich, until July 12, 1871. He was married in Germany, July 6, 1871, to Miss Paulina Sturny, who is a native of Germany. They have one son, named Siegfried Dorn.
VICTOR DREHER, foreman and brewer, Krugs' Omaha Brewery, was born in Germany in 1840. Came to America in 1864, and to Nebraska in 1878. Has followed the brewing business since he came to this country, in New York, Philadelphia, St. Louis, and Omaha. He was married in Philadelphia to Miss Barbara Engel, whom he buried in St. Louis in 1876. In 1880 he married Margaretta Webber, who was born in Germany. He has one little girl by his first wife, named Barbara.
FREDERICK DREXEL, of Drexel & Mack, stone-cutters, contractors and builders, was born in Germany in 1825; learned trade of stone-cutter there, and was for some time in the employ of his father in that capacity; he then traveled three years. He came to America in 1849; resided for a short time in New York and Pennsylvania; was then engaged contracting for and building bridges for the B. & O. R. R. And the N. W. Va. R. R., in the State of Virginia. He came to Nebraska in the spring of 1856, located in Omaha and engaged in farming, which he has continued since; he owns a farm of 365 acres of land in Douglas County. The stone cutting business was commenced in 1866 by him in company with his brother, John Drexel, and was carried on by them until the death of the latter, February 15, 1869. F. Drexel then managed the business alone until 1871 when he took William Mack into partnership, since which time the firm has been Drexel & Mack. The contracting and building department was added to the business in 1871. The firm employs some thirty-five to forty men, and supply nearly all the stone for the building of prominent business buildings, etc., in the city. They also build largely by contract.
L. DUGGAN, city expressman and safe mover; office, U. P. depot; residence, 1112 S. Thirteenth street, Omaha. He was born in Queens County, Ireland, in 1831. After his arrival in the United States he engaged in various occupations for four years; when he was employed in the car shops of the Keokuk, Mount Pleasant and Muscatine R. R., and Keokuk & Des Moines R. R., until 1866, when he came to Omaha, and was employed in the U. P. carshops as foreman. In 1869 he began his present business, having at that time but one team; he now owns and uses four teams in his business, and is giving employment to four men. He was married in 1857 to Miss Catharine Wadden, who was born in County Carlow, Ireland, in 1836. That have but one daughter, Miss Ida.
MICHAEL DUFFY, contractor and street grader, employs fifteen to twenty men at an average of $1.50 per day, also about the same number of teams, with drivers at $2.75 per day. Mr. Duffy first located in Omaha March 18, 1868, and farmed one season, expressing a few months; spring of 1869 began the contracting and grading business. He follows the same for public and private parties. He was born in Ireland, May 11, 1844; came to America with his mother in 1855, and settled in Philadelphia, where he lived until eighteen years of age, when he moved to Ohio, and lived in Green County. From there he moved to Nebraska. He was married in Omaha, Neb., November 4, 1877, to Margaret Begley, a native of Ireland. They have two children, James and John.
DUFRENE & MENDELSSOHN, architects. A. R. Dufrene, a single member of this firm was born in New York City in 1836. He learned the trade of carpenter and joiner at Detroit, Mich., and was engaged at it ten years, after which he learned the profession of architect at Portland, Ore., with W. W. Pfeifer, of that city, and was engaged at it seven years, when he came to Nebraska in 1867. He located in Omaha and began the practice of his profession in company with T. B. Borst. They carried on business together three years. They drew all of the plans and built all the stations on the U. P. R. R. between here and Ogden. Mr. Dufrene then continued the business alone until July 1, 1881, when he entered into partnership with Louis Mendelssohn. Dr. Dufrene built the U. P. R. R. depot at Council Bluffs, Iowa, their headquarters at Omaha, also the B. & M. R. R. headquarters, and many prominent business blocks and private business residences. Louis Mendelssohn was born in Berlin, Germany, in 1842. When quite young he came to America. He learned the profession of architect in the city of New York and Detroit Mich. Afterwards he studied and traveled on the continent for eighteen months perfecting himself in his profession. He then returned to Detroit, Mich., and practiced as an architect nine years. In February, 1880, he removed to Omaha, Neb., and engaged in business with A. R. Dufrene. This firm has erected many of the most important buildings built in Omaha since then, amongst which are the Millard Hotel, Omaha National Bank, William A. Paxton's store, S. R. Brown's residence, etc. etc.
J. H. DUMONT, member of the firm of Steele, Johnson & Co., wholesale grocers, was born in Mansfield, Ohio, February 16, 1851. In 1854 he went with his parents to Oskaloosa, where he lived until 1874 and then went to Des Moines. He had charge at that place of the books and financial department in a wholesale confectionery house. In 1877 he removed to Omaha, and was employed as bookkeeper by Steele, Johnson & Co. In 1879 he took charge of the credit and financial department of the business, and in July 1880, became a member of the firm.
VALENTINE DUMPERTH, foreman brewer of Metz Bros.' Brewery, Omaha, was born in Germany in 1847. Came to America 1871, and to Nebraska 1877. Has followed the brewing business for the last fifteen years in Baltimore, Cincinnati, and Omaha.
GEORGE W. DUNCAN, passenger conductor U. P. R. R., was born in Hardin County, Ky., in 1848. In July, 1861, he enlisted in First Illinois Cavalry, was captured by the Confederates under Gen. Price at Lexington, Mo., in September, 1861. Was released shortly afterward, and then served eight months longer. The regiment was then disbanded by order of the Secretary of War. At seventeen years of age he entered the employ of the Illinois Central R. R. at Champaign, Ill., as a fireman; was employed in that capacity for eight months, then as a brakeman until he came to Omaha, Neb., in 1867. He then entered the employ of the U. P. R. R. as a brakeman, was employed in that capacity three months, then freight conductor until March, 1875, when he was appointed passenger conductor the position he has filled since. Mr. Duncan was married at Grand Island, Neb., in 1869 to Mary Horning, a native of Italy.
R. G. DUN & CO., Mercantile Agency, was established in Omaha in 1877, being the seventy-third office opened in this country. The system of this house is a continuation of that established in a limited way by Louis Tappan in 1841. Ninety branch agencies have been establishes since in the principal cities throughout the United States, thus enabling them to perfect a comprehensive system of reporting. D. H. Goodrich, superintendent of Omaha Water Works, late business manager of Omaha Agency, lately resigned this position to accept his present one, George Bark, formerly of Evansville, Ind., now being in charge of the Agency.
FRANK M. DUTTON, of Bolton & Dutton, contractors and builders. Born in Tuscarawas County, Ohio, in 1851. Learned trade of carpenter there and was employed at it some six years; then at Osceola, Iowa, for a year, and three years at Des Moines, Iowa. Came to Nebraska in 1878. Located in Omaha; was employed as a carpenter up to September, 1880, when he entered the firm of Bolton, Dutton & Co. This firm continued business up to July, 1881, when the style changed to Bolton & Dutton.
JOHN DWYER, drugs, fancy goods, etc. Succeeded J. Dwyer & Co., in 1879. He was born in Limerick, Ireland, November, 1, 1843. Left there in 1863 and went to Australia where he learned his business, and from there came to Untied States in 1870, locating in Omaha, Nebraska. Engaged in clerking. In 1871 he moved to Juneau County, Wis., where for about two years he was engaged in drug business. Then moved to Milwaukee where he followed the profession of dentist until 1876 when he settled in Omaha, Neb., and started in drug business, firm of J. Dwyer & Co. He was married in Omaha, July 18, 1881 to Miss Mary White of Omaha.
OTIS H. EARLL, passenger conductor, U. P. R. R. Was born at Syracuse, N. Y., in 1834. At eighteen years of age entered the employ of C. & N. W. R. R. Co. as checker in freight sheds. Was afterwards employed as yardmaster, station master, conductor, etc., on various railroads until he came to Nebraska in December, 1868. He located in Omaha and entered the employ of the U. P. R. R. Co. as yardmaster. Was engaged in that capacity some two years. Was then appointed assistant superintendent of the Cheyenne Division U. P. R. R. Held that office one year, leaving it to accept the superintendency of the Western Division of the U. P. R. R. which position he occupied for five years. He then went to California and was in the employ of the C. P. R. R. Co. for two months. Afterwards engaged in mining and forwarding business at Salt Lake City, Utah, for nine months. In August, 1878, he returned to Omaha, Neb., and was employed for three months running a construction train for the U. P. R. R. Co. Was then appointed to his present position. He has one son employed as a messenger by the Pacific Express Company.
ROBERT EASSON, buyer with Paxton & Gallagher, Omaha. Was born and reared in Dundee, Scotland, and first entered the mercantile business with Myles & Hogg, of Glasgow, with whom he remained till he came to America in 1871, when he entered the firm of Stewart, Aldrich & Co., of Chicago, remaining with them till he came to Omaha, in 1878, when, after a years' experience with another firm here, he engaged with the present firm with whom he has continued since. In 1874 he was married to Miss Bella Donaldson, who was born in Wisconsin. They have one son and one daughter, George and Agnes Bella.
EDRIC L. EATON, photographer, Was born in Franklin County, Vt., May 31, 1836. He learned the profession of photographer there, at fifteen years of age and was employed at it some five years. Came to Nebraska in 1857. Located in Omaha and opened a photograph gallery which he conducted until 1860. He was then engaged traveling in the photograph business with the First Nebraska Infantry for some five years. Returning to Omaha in 1866 he again opened a photograph gallery which he has conducted since and also carries a photographic stock. Mr. Eaton was also, in 1859, engaged for six months at Florence, Nebraska, in photographing Mormon immigrants. He was married at Omaha in 1866 to Emma L. Salveter, a native of St. Louis, Mo. They have two living children, Fannie and Mabel.
ALBERT EDEN, engineer in Sheeley's packing house. Has been in the same capacity since December 1, 1881. He located in Omaha in 1871 and began work for the U. P. R. R. Where he remained one year. Then worked in Boyd's packing house six years, having charge of the tanks a part of the time. He also worked three years in Roddis & Thrall's packing house as tankman. From there he engaged in his present place. He was born in Germany, February 27, 1841. Emigrated to America in 1868. He was married in Clinton, Iowa, October, 1869, to Miss Fredrica Scharff, a native of Germany. They have two children named Johanna and Lena. Mr. Eden and wife are members of the Lutheran Church of Omaha.
NELSON J. EDHOLM, came to Omaha in 1870 and has been engaged in the jewelry business most of the time since. He was born in Europe (Sweden) November 28, 1859, being of Swedish parentage. His parents located at Salt Lake. He was married February 10, 1880, to Mary A. Rice, a native of Riceville, Penn.
EDHOLM & ERIKSON, Nelson J. Edholm and Chris. L. Erikson, wholesale and retail manufacturing jewelers. Commenced business March 31, 1879. They employ twelve men in the various departments of their business. Their stock in trade is valued at about $50,000.
P. M. EKSTRON, foreman of the pattern shop of Omaha foundry. He was born in Sweden, November 21, 1834, Emigrated to America and arrived June 11, 1880. Settled in Omaha and began in his present location. He was married in Sweden, April 28, 1865, to Hannah Larson, who is also a native of Sweden. They have seven children, whose names are Emma C., Hilla A. C., Matilda A., Axel A., Carl M. W., Gustav F., and Clara V.
R. C. ENEWOLD, dry goods, boots and shoes, clothing, etc. Succeeded Enewold Bros, about 1878. Mr. E. was born in Denmark, June 15, 1844. Came to the United States about 1864. Remained in New York City about two years, engaged in carpentering and cabinet making. Came to Nebraska in 1866. Located in Omaha and followed his trade until 1874, when he entered the firm of Enewold Bros. He was married in Omaha May 1, 1878, to Miss Hendrickson. She was born in Denmark. They have one child, Dora Sophia. Mr. E. is a member of the Danish Society.
E. ENGLER, manufacturer of Weiss beer, No. 1110 N. Eighteenth street. Settled in Omaha in 1868, and began the manufacture of the above beer. He was born in Germany October 10, 1840. Emigrated to America in 1865; lived in New York City, engaged as a waiter in hotels three years, then came to Omaha. He was married in 1870 in Omaha to Miss Mary Boye, who was born in Holstein, Germany, April 30, 1847. They have four children, Alvina M., Oscar E., Franz W., and Sophie C. Mr. E. is a member of the Knights of Pythias of Omaha.
JOHN H. ERCK, hardware, stoves, tinware, cutlery, and nails, 615 and 617 N. Sixteenth St. Was born in Germany in 1841. In 1864 he came to this country, and settled in Omaha in 1867, and began the bakery business which he successfully conducted for eight years. He had formerly worked four years in Offenhagen as baker, also in Hamburg and Berlin. In 1875 he left that business on account of ill health, and after an experience of a few years in the grocery business, he opened out the present business which he has successfully conducted since. He has one daughter, Emma Erck.
CHRISTOPHER L. ERIKSON, was born in Denmark June 29, 1857, and came to America with his parents in 1866. They located at Salt Lake City for four years, since which time they have lived in Omaha. Mr. E. was married at Omaha, November 22, 1879, to Carrie S. Brosious, a native of McGregor, Iowa. He is a member of the Standard Club.
THOMAS ERIKSON, manufacturer boots and shoes, began in 1879, employs three men, and does a good trade. He was born in Norway in April, 16, 1834. He learned his trade in Europe, and emigrated to America in 1864, settled in Chicago, Ill., where he worked three years as journeyman, after which he went to Omaha, and worked as before until he began business for himself. Was married in Europe December 28, 1860, to Miss Ellen W. Vellstad. She died in Omaha, Neb., October 12, 1876, at the age of thirty-four years. They had five children named William M., Otto E., Marie E., deceased, Clara E., deceased, and Wilhelmina E. Mr. E. is a member of the First Methodist Episcopal Church of Omaha.
EXPERIENCE ESTABROOK, attorney and counselor at law. He arrived in Council Bluffs January 21, and crossed the Missouri River, Monday, January 23, 1855. The ferry boat was running on the 21st, but on Monday, 23rd, they crossed on the ice. He came to Nebraska as U. S. Attorney appointed by Franklin Pierce. Mr. E. held the office four years and nine months. At the first term of the court in the Territory of Nebraska in the spring of 1855, he was the only member of the bar in the Territory organized as such by the court on account of his official position, and that upon his motion the first bar was admitted, so that it may be said almost literally that Mr. E. is the father of the Nebraska bar. He was elected delegate to Congress in 1859, but the seat was contested by one Samuel G. Daily, the Republican nominee. The contest terminated against Mr. E. He, however, held it until June, 1860, since which time he has been engaged in the practice of law. He was a member of the Constitutional Convention in 1871, and was employed by the Committee of Managers to aid in the impeachment of Gov. David Butler, who was found guilty and turned out of office in June, 1871. Mr. E. was appointed local District Attorney of his district from 1867 to 1869 inclusive. He was born in Lebanon, Grafton Co., N. H., April 30, 1813, where his parents lived until 1822, and moved to Clarence, (afterward called Alden in honor of Mr. E.'s, grandmother of that name) Erie Co., N. Y., where he made his home until July, 1840. He attended the Dickinson College, at Carlisle, Pa., also the law school in Chambersburg, Pa., where he graduated, and was admitted to the bar in 1839. He went to Brooklyn, N. Y., and was admitted to the bar, where he took a clerkship for some time in the navy yard. He then went to Buffalo. N. Y., was admitted to the bar and began practice, and remained one year, at the end of which time he went to Geneva Lake, Wis., in July, 1840, and began practice, and attended the first term of court in Walworth County. He practiced there until January, 1855. He was elected Attorney General of Wisconsin in 1851, and held the office two years. He was a member of the Wisconsin Legislature in 1849. He was appointed by the Governor of Nebraska to codify the laws in 1866. He was appointed by the Public Printer to superintend the publication and prepare the index, it being done in the spring and summer of 1866. He spent the summer in Chicago, Ill., with Culver, Page & Hoyne, who were employed by the Public Printer, Mr. E. embraced the opportunity to publish a form book, called Estabrook Forms, which was regarded as a fine book for forms. Mr. E. was married at Geneva Lake, Wis., on April 14, 1844, to Miss Caroline Augusta Maxwell, daughter of Col. James Maxwell, pioneer of Wisconsin, and member of the Legislature of that State, and brother of Dr. Philip Maxwell, favorably known among the prisoners of Chicago. Mrs. E. was born in Tioga County, Pa. Her parents moved from there to Covington, Ind., in an early day, and from there to Big Foot Prairie, Wis. They have two children. The eldest, a daughter, named Caroline Augusta, now married to Col. R. C. Clowry, general superintendent of the Western Union Telegraph Co., Western Division. Mr. C. is well known in musical circles as the author of Nobody's Child, and other popular musical compositions. Henry Dodge Estabrook, a son, is now practicing law in Omaha, Neb.
P. S. EUSTIS, general ticket agent of the Burlington & Missouri River R. R., came to Omaha in 1876, and was connected with the above road first as a clerk in the passenger department under Perceval Lowell, general ticket and freight agent. Was given the title of chief ticket clerk January 1, 1881, and Mr. Lowell resigning May 20, 1881, transacted the business of the department until July 1, 1881, when he was given the title of general ticket agent, his present position.
THOMAS EVANS, foreman of car cleaning and repairing department of Union Pacific R. R., was born in Wales, England, December 21,1830. Came to the United States in 1846. First worked upon the steamer Robert L. Stevens, plying on the Hudson River for the New York & Erie R. R., for about three and one-half years, then on the lakes in the lumber trade, after which he became foreman of the car cleaning and repair department at Prairie du Chien of the Milwaukee & Prairie du Chien R. R. up to January, 1869, when he came to Omaha in the employ of the Union Pacific R. R., and in April of same year was appointed to his present position. Married Miss Mary L. Williams of Liverpool, England, August 28, 1857. They had eight children, seven living, Phoebe, Margaret, Mary, Ann, Lucy, Sarah and Alfred, one deceased, John.
LOUIS FAIST, barber, proprietor of that "little shop around the corner" of Dodge and Fifteenth streets, Omaha. Was born in Germany, August 17, 1849, and came to this country with his people in 1851, who settled in New York. In 1873 he came here, and has successfully followed his profession since. August 1, 1878, he was married to Miss Annie M. Plane, of Belvidere, Ill., born in Genesee County, N. Y. Mr. Faist is Past Chief of the Order of Red Men of the State of Nebraska, and has been an active member of the Omaha fire department for the past eight years.
N. B. FALCONER is a native of Aberdeenshire, Scotland, and came to America in 1857. He located in New York City in 1861 and engaged largely in the importing business. Continued at this until 1876, when he came to Omaha, where he has since resided. He has been in mercantile pursuits since youth, having been in business at Glasgow prior to coming to America.
THOMAS DRYSDEL FALCONER, residence 1309 Webster street; by occupation, pattern-maker. He came to Nebraska in August, 1867, and located in Omaha, and has been identified with the U. P. R. R. ever since. Was born in Edinburgh, Scotland, December 29, 1843, and lived in his native place until twenty years of age; after arriving in America first located at Chicago, Ill. Is an active member of Omaha Lodge, 829, Knights of Honor, and is elected as Dictator of the same lodge; is also a member of Omaha Burns Club, and is presiding officer of the same. His wife's maiden name was Margaret Allen. She was born in Cumberland, Scotland. They were married June 10, 1870, in Omaha, and have three children, Thomas Allan Falconer, Allan Falconer and William Falconer.
WILLIAM FAWCETT, foreman of the U. P. R. R. foundry at Omaha, Neb., was born in the north of Ireland. Came to United States in 1848. First went to work in the foundry of Woodruff & Beach, Hartford, Conn. From there went to work at Fred. Fuller's foundry, Providence. R. I. Then went to Norwich, Conn., and worked for Albert Vaughn, foundryman. From there went to Chicago in 1854 and worked at the foundry of Russell & Angle, doing the work then for the old Galena R. R. Then went to Springfield, Ill., and took charge of J. C. Lamb's foundry, for thirteen years doing the work for the Wabash R. R. In 1867 came to Omaha and started the present U. P. foundry, and has remained in charge of it since with the exception of about eighteen months in which he was the superintendent of the St. Louis Car Wheel Company's works at St. Louis. He is a member of St. Johns. Lodge No. 25 A., F. & A. M., and also of State Lodge No. 10, I. O. O. F.