Physical Character | Early Settlement | Indian Troubles|
County Organization | Official Roster | County Statistics|
Railroads | District Schools | Taxation
County Poor Department | County Societies
Lincoln: Early History | Incorporation | Official Roster|
City Institutions | Post Office
Lincoln (cont.): University of Nebraska|
Lincoln (cont.): University of Nebraska (cont.)|
Lincoln (cont.): Insane Hospital|
Nebraska State Penitentiary | The Second Revolt
Lincoln (cont.): Public Schools | Fire Department|
The Press | Churches
Lincoln (cont.): Societies, Associations, Etc.|
Temperance Societies | Musical Societies
Business Interests | Banks | Hotels
Lincoln (cont.): |
Wholesale and Manufacturing Establishments
Biographical Sketches- ABBOTT~ALLEN
10 - 24:
** Lincoln Biographical Sketches ** (cont.)|
| ALFORD~BONNELL | BOHANON~CARR |
| CARTER~CUMMINGS | DAILEY~FEDEWA |
| FULLER~GRIMM | GULICK~HOGE |
| HOLMES~KEELER | KELLY~McCONNIFF |
| McCORD~NANCE | NEWMAN~PHILLIPS |
| PHILPOTT~RANDLE | RAYMOND~SCOTT |
| SEATON~STRICKLAND | SWAN~WALSH |
| WEBER~WUNDERLICH |
Bennet: Churches | Societies ||
| Biographical Sketches - ALLSTOT~GRIBLING
Bennett: Biographical Sketches - HANSON~PIPER|
Bennett: Biographical Sketches - RHEA~WILSON|
Waverly: Biographical Sketches|
Firth: Biographical Sketches|
Roca | Other Points
Grant Precinct | Saltillo Precinct | Stockton Precinct
List of Illustrations in Lancaster County Chapter
(ALFORD thru BONNELL)
J. H. ALFORD, Deputy Auditor of State, came to Omaha, Neb., April 2, 1867, taking charge of the purchasing department of the Union Pacific Railroad, and remained there until the office was abolished in 1869. In December, 1869, he came to Lincoln in the mercantile trade, and in 1872 was appointed private secretary to Gov. Furnas. He held this during his term of office, in July, 1875, he was appointed bookkeeper in the Auditor's office, and in January, 1879, became deputy. In 1873-74 was acting as Assistant Adjutant General with rank of Colonel. He was born in New York City, May 23, 1843, and lived there until 1861, when he came to Chicago and was connected with the C. & N. W., Railroad, and remained with them until he came to Omaha. He was married in Creston, Iowa, November 12, 1879, to Nora Isabella Coggeshall, a native of Waukegan, Ill. He is a member of the Masonic Order of the Knight Templars and various social organizations. He has always been identified with public interests.
ANDREW ANDERSON, foreman stone shop Bullock & Keyes, was born on July 4, 1849, in Sweden, where he was raised and educated, and on July 17, 1869, came to the United States and settled at Topeka, Kas., working in stone quarries there for a short time and in 1869 came to Nebraska City, and was employed by the Midland Railroad Company, and in spring of 1871 came to Lincoln, and worked as an apprentice to the stone cutting business for about three years, then engaged with Bullock & Keyes, and was made foreman of their shops. Was married to Miss Katie Sudam in 1881, here. Both members of the Lutheran Church.
J. C. ANDERSON, locomotive engineer B. & M. Railroad, was born in Lanarkshire, Scotland, July 1852. He commenced his railroad services when about eleven years old. In 1872 he came to the United States, located in Elkhart, Ind., and entered the service of the L. S. & M. S. Railroad, the last two years having charge of an engine. He came to Nebraska in 1880, settled at Red Cloud and engaged in farming until 1881, in which year he entered the services of the B. & M. Railroad. He was married in Elkhart, Ind., January 24, 1878, to Miss Mary Peterson of that city.
F. P. ANDREWS, engineer Journal, was born July 17, 1852 in Cleveland, Ohio, and received an education in Ohio and Connecticut until he was eighteen years old and in 1873 went on the lakes as steamboat engineer for about four years, then returned to Ohio and was engaged as engineer to the asylum. In 1877 engaged as engineer to the Atlantic & Great Western Railroad Company for a short time, then with the Cleveland & Pittsburgh Railroad Company. In 1878 was employed by the Cleveland Rolling Mill Company, working on repairs and mill, and in 1879 came to Lincoln and worked on the capitol and penitentiary, doing general work for about two years, then was engaged as engineer to the Journal office. Belongs to Newberg Lodge No. 379, Cleveland, Ohio as Master Mason.
ALBERT ANDRUS, loan agent, came to Lincoln in April, 1878, and read law with T. P. Kennard. He was admitted to the bar in 1881 and has practiced for the last year. He was born in Malone, Franklin Co., N. Y., February 19, 1858, and lived there until 1866. He then moved to Hammonton, N. J., where he resided until he came here. He is a member of the firm of Parsons & Andrus, loan agents.
JAMES ATWELL, yard master, B. & M. R. R., of Nebraska, at Lincoln. He was born in Frankfort, Marshall Co., Kas., June 15, 1855. He was educated there and commenced railroading in 1869 as brakeman on the central branch of the U. P. R. R. In 1875 he settled in Lincoln, Neb., and entered the service of the B. & M. R. R., was appointed to his present position in 1876. He was married in Lincoln September 13, 1877, to Miss Wallace, of Lincoln. They have one child, Roy Wallace.
[Portrait of Samuel Aughey.]
SAMUEL AUGHEY, professor of natural sciences in the University of Nebraska, is a native of Pennsylvania. He was born in Milford Township, Juniata Co., February 8, 1831. His parents were natives of Pennsylvania. His great grandfather emigrated from Germany in 1752 to which country the family had been driven from France by religious persecution. They were therefore of French Huguenot extraction. Samuel Aughey, Sr., father of the subject of this sketch, was a farmer by occupation, young Samuel was engaged on his father's farm until his twentieth year, when he entered the freshman class at Pennsylvania College. Previous to that he attended the common school in winter, attended Tuscarora Academy six months and also taught school in his native district. During his youth he was known as a constant reader of all the books which he could borrow. Before he was aware of the existence of the science of geology he made large collections of fossils and Indian antiquities from his native valley. Every hour of release which he could obtain from the labors of the farm he devoted to reading and laborious study. He was graduated from the Pennsylvania College in 1856. During the remainder of 1856 and until the fall of 1857 he was engaged in teaching in the old Greensburg Academy, continuing at the same time a course of scientific and theological study on which he had entered. In the autumn of 1857 he entered the Theological Seminary at Gettysburg, Penn. Hs was elected pastor of the Lutheran Church at Lionville, Chester Co., Penn., where he remained four years. During this time he continued his scientific studies and also lectured on geology and related sciences. He at this time became somewhat prominent in the abolition movement, and publicly and privately denounced human slavery, and wrote and lectured against the pro-slavery sentiment of the times. His pamphlet on "The Renovation of Politics" produced a division in his church, which finally led to his resignation. after this he was located for a short time at Blairsville, and at Duncannon, Penn. While at these places he continued his favorite botanical and geological studies and labors, while also filling a pulpit on Sunday. In the fall of 1864 he removed to Dakota City, Neb., where for the first three years he was engaged as pastor of the Lutheran Church and also engaged in scientific work. Since 1867 he has been engaged exclusively in scientific work, was also engaged in making geological, mineralogical, botanical and conchological collections, in Dakota, Wyoming, and Nebraska, for scientific institutions, principally for Prof. Henry, of the Smithsonian institute. Was also engaged in making geological surveys in Nebraska and Dakota Territory. When he came to Nebraska there were but 300 botanical species known in the State. He has increased the number to 2,300 and has ransacked every township in Nebraska. He was the first man in the United States who ever determined the exact food of the various birds. Being the pioneer in that line of scientific investigations. He became connected with the State University in September, 1871, having been appointed in June of that year and he removed to Lincoln in August, 1871. He was one of the scientific commissioners to examine the plains east of the Rocky Mountains to determine where water could be obtained for purposes of irrigation. During the coming year he will be connected with Government geological surveys probably in Wyoming. He was appointed territorial geologist for Wyoming in March, 1882, and unanimously confirmed but has not yet accepted, and probably will not. He has written very extensively on scientific and other subjects, his largest work being "The Physical Geography and Geology of Nebraska." This work is the result of laborious and long-continued exhaustive original study, and has received the highest commendations from scientific men. It is admitted by railroad authorities that his geological papers on the soil, etc., of Nebraska have been a most important factor in securing so large an immigration into the State. Of some of his descriptive papers several hundred thousand copies have been circulated. He was married in Hannastown, Westmoreland Co., Pa., October 14, 1858, to Miss Elizabeth C. Welty, a native of that place. They have one child living, Helen B., lost two children, one daughter, Anna A., died at the age of four years and a son Welty, who died at the age of five months. The professor is president of the Academy of Sciences and is secretary of the State Historical Society. He is a member of the St. Louis Academy of Sciences, of the Buffalo Academy and of the American Association for the Advancement of Sciences, Iowa Academy of Sciences, and other societies of importance.
R. O. BACKUS, manufacturer of ornamental iron and wood fence, was born June 15, 1847, at Harbor Creek, Erie Co., Pa.; and at the age of three years came with his parents to Illinois, where he was raised, and availed himself of a common school education until he was sixteen years of age. In 1863 he enlisted in the Seventeenth Illinois Cavalry, Company F, under Col. Matelock, and participated in all the battles with his regiment, and was mustered out on October 25, 1865, at Fort Leavenworth, Kan. Returned to Illinois; remained there for about one year, and in 1867 went to Floyd County, Iowa; remaining there for about seven years in general business. Then went to Waterloo, and engaged with the Illinois Central Railroad Company as foreman of the fence department for about two years. Then engaged in business as manufacturer and dealer in plain and ornamental iron and wood fence. In the spring of 1881 came to Lincoln and opened the same business, and put fences around some of the prominent residences in the city. Was married in May, 1877, in Waterloo, Iowa, to Miss Media Tucker. Belongs to the O. C. D. of Waterloo, as high private. Also to the Grand Army of the Republic, Farragut Post, No. 25.
COL. C. N. BAIRD, Receiver of Public Moneys, U. S. Land Office, came to Lincoln, April 22, 1868. He engaged in the real estate business with Col. Cropsey until that fall, when he was appointed Postmaster, and served six years and three months. He has engaged in the live stock business in Lancaster since the spring of 1874, having done some farming prior thereto. He was a member of the second City Council, and also a member of the School Board, and of the State Senate for one term. He is now Quarter-Master General on Gov. Nance's Staff. He was appointed Receiver of the Land office in the spring of 1877, assuming the duties of the office April 9. He was born in Ripley, Brown Co., Ohio, April 1, 1833. He left that State when he was twenty-two years old and came to Fairbury, Livingston Co., Ill.; living there and in that vicinity until he came to Nebraska. He, with two others, raised Company E, One hundred and twenty-ninth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and entered the service in 1862. He was elected Captain of his company when he entered camp. Mustered out June 8, 1865, having served in all the engagements gone through by his command, and some where it did not; having had charge of a company of scouts for a while in the winter of 1863. After leaving the army he returned to Illinois. He was married in Franklin, Harrison Co., Ohio, in July, 1856, to Sarah J. Henderson, a native of Millsboro, Pa. They have five children living: Mary E. (now Mrs. A. S. Raymond), Carrie, Harry H., Maggie C. and Kitty S. They lost two children, Jessie, who died at the age of seven years, ahd Georgie, who died at the age of three months. Capt. B. is a member of the G. A. R., and a director of the Board of Trade.
W. E. BARKLEY, boots and shoes. The business was established in 1881; carries stock of about $6,000. W. E. Barkley was born in Decatur County, Ind., January 24, 1837. In 1865 he commenced mercantile business in Newpoint, Decatur Co. Sold out in 1873, and bought a farm near Cincinnati, Ohio. Sold out in a few months, and located for a short time in Greensburg, Ind. Then settled in Morgantown, Ind., and opened a general store business. Continued this business until 1879, when he sold out and has been engaged in improving his real estate in Indiana, Moved to Lincoln Neb., August 29, 1881. Opened up boot and shoe store October 8, 1881, and took J. Z. Briscoe in as partner December 1, 1881. He was married in Newpoint, Decatur Co., Ind., July 10, 1859, to Miss Nancy E. Hart, of Decatur County. They have five children: William (now in Stanberry, Mo., in charge of the penmanship department of the Normal School), James, John, Laura E., and Robert, living. Alice and Eddie are dead. Mr. B. is a member of the A.. F. & A. M. Lodge of Lincoln, Chapter of Greensburg, Ind. He and wife are members of the Christian Church. April 27, 1882, the firm of Barkley & Briscoe dissolved business by mutual consent-W. E. Barkley continuing.
GEORGE M. BARTLETT, State Treasurer, came to Nebraska in December, 1866, and lived at Omaha for a few years, serving as cashier of the Omaha Tribune Co. He became Deputy State Treasurer in 1871, and served in that capacity for eight years. In November, 1878, he was elected State Treasurer, and in 1880 was re-elected. Born in Greene Township, Trumbull Co., Ohio, February 13, 1831; lived there until he came to Nebraska. He was married in Mecca, Trumbull Co., Ohio, November 3, 1854, to Charlotte A. Knapp, a native of that place. They have one child living, George K.
R. P. BEECHER, Postmaster at the penitentiary, and secretary and treasurer for W. H. B. Stout, lessee; was born in Chenango County, N. Y., January 15, 1844. His father, J. P. Beecher, was born in New Haven, Conn. His mother, Sarah A. Stewart Beecher, a descendant of the Scottish Stewarts, is a native of Troy, N. Y. The subject of this sketch removed with his parents to Wellsville, Allegany Co., N. Y. in 1859. In 1863 he enlisted in the Sixteenth Regiment New York Heavy Artillery, and served until the close of the war; was order clerk for Gen. B. F. Tracy. He then returned to Wellsville, and entered a banking house, which he continued until 1869. He then removed to Nebraska and settled in Lincoln, and for a time engaged in the insurance business, and was executive secretary for Gov. Butler. He then engaged as cashier in the banking house of Bowker, Kennard & Co. In 1873 he entered the service of W. H. B. Stout, and was appointed to his present position in 1877. He was married in Wellsville, N. Y., in August, 1866, to Miss Addie L. Stoddard, of Wellsville. They have one child, Blanche. Mr. B. is a member of the Congregational Church, and is a Knight Templar in the Masonic fraternity.
W. Q. BELL, attorney-at-law, came to Lincoln, September 1, 1880. Until January, 1881, he was engaged in the study of law; then he was admitted to the bar in the U. S. Circuit Court. He was born in Dalton, Wayne Co., Ohio, August 28, 1855, and lived in Ohio until September, 1874. He then went to Monmouth, Ill., where he attended Monmouth College, graduating in 1878, taking the degree of A. B., and three years later, the degree of A. M. He went to Greenwood, Mo., after graduation, and was principal of Lincoln College for one year, until June, 1879. He then returned to Monmouth and commenced the study of law, remaining there until he came to Nebraska. He was married in Monmouth, September 14, 1881, to Georgia J. Burlingim, a native of Rochelle, Ogle Co., Ill. Mr. Bell is a member of the First Congregational Church, and superintendent of the Sunday-school of that society.
THOMAS H. BENTON, book-keeper in the State Auditor's office, came to Nebraska in 1868 and located at Fremont. He lived there until 1877, when he came to Lincoln as clerk in the Auditor's office. He was educated at Doane College, Crete, Neb., and at New Haven, Conn., and Fremont, Neb. He was born at New Haven, Conn., October 17, 1858, living there until 1863. He then moved to North Branford, in the same county, and came from there to Nebraska. For one year after leaving school he was engaged in business as a telegraph operator. He then went into the office of the clerk of Dodge County for one year. After that he kept books for the Fremont foundry and machine shop for a year. In 1879 he was elected assistant clerk of the House of Representatives, and resigned in February, 1879, to accept the appointment of book-keeper in the Auditor's office. He is a member of the A., F. & A. M. Lodge, Chapter and Commandery. He is secretary of Lancaster Lodge, No. 54, and Captain of the Host in Lincoln Chapter No. 6. He was married at Lincoln, August 8, 1881, to Fannie McManigal, a native of Fort Wayne, Ind.
H. A. BIDWELL, came to Lincoln February 2, 1882. He was born in Madison County, Ohio, December 18, 1856. He was educated at the Wooster University, and spent one year at the Ohio College, Athens, Ohio. He was married at Wooster, Ohio, June 9, 1880, to Miss Gennette R. Spink. In June, 1881 he went to Marysville, Union Co., Ohio, and read law there. He was admitted to the bar by the Supreme Court of Ohio, November 2, 1881.
E. BIGNELL, master mechanic B. & M. R. R. of Nebraska, at Lincoln. Entered the service of the B. & M. R. R. in 1871. He moved to Lincoln in October, 1881, to take his present position. Mr. B. is a member of the A., F. & A. M. Plattsmouth Lodge No. 6.
L. W. BILLINGSLEY, attorney at law of the law firm of Lamb, Billingsley & Lambertson, came to Lincoln, October 19, 1869, and has practiced here since that time, engaging also in real estate speculations. He has been United States Commissioner for the last eight years. For two terms he was President of the City Council, and was President of the Board of Education in Lincoln. He was born in Putnam County, Ind., September 14, 1841, living a number of years in Indianapolis. In 1852 he graduated from Franklin College. He enlisted in Company I, Seventh Indiana Volunteer Infantry in April, 1861, a Company being formed of the college students for three months' service. In the summer of 1862, after graduation, he enlisted in the Fourth Indiana Cavalry as corporal. After one year's service in that regiment he was appointed Lieutenant in the Fourteenth U. S. Colored Infantry, and Captain in the Forty-fourth Colored Infantry. He was with Sherman's army until the capture of Atlanta. He was at the battle of Nashville and Black House No. 2. In 1865 he resigned and returned to Indianapolis and soon after was married to Miss E. J. Labarre, of Cincinnati, who died in a few months after. He then went to Arkansas and had charge of a large cotton plantation for a year. In 1867 he went to Des Moines and commenced the study of law, graduating at the Iowa Law College in 1869. He was again married at Indianaola, Iowa, September 15, 1869, to Ella A. Knox, a native of Knox County, Ohio. Mr. B. is a member of the K. of P., G. A. R. and of the T. of H.
J. R. BING, contractor and builder, was born April 7, 1828, in Gallia County, Ohio, where he was reared and educated and after leaving school served his time as carpenter to J. Morton & Co., Ohio, for about five years. Then went to Athens and commenced contracting and built and completed the Odd Fellows' hall and several prominent stores there, as well as private dwellings, and in the spring of 1856 went to Platt County, Ill., and acted as foreman on the Monticello Court House in same county. Then engaged as a master mechanic on board the steamboat John Strader, the first low pressure steamboat ever built, and in 1860 came West to Leavenworth, Kan., working at his trade for about one year. Then to St. Joe, Mo. Thence to Cameron where he built the Cameron Hotel. In 1862 enlisted in the Twenty-ninth Missouri Infantry, Company H, under Gen. Steel, and in 1863 was transferred to the Mississippi squadron on the gun boat Sirine, by recommendation of the naval constructor, Charles Kendal, and in 1865 was discharged at Mound City, Mo. Returned to Cameron, Mo., to his family and remained there until 1872, during which time he contracted for and built more than half of the buildings in that town. Then came West and located at Lincoln, working at his trade until 1879, when he established himself in business as a contractor and builder and built some of the most prominent dwelling houses here. Was married at Athens, Ohio, July 7, 1854, to Miss Maggie Barnes, of Gallipolis, Ohio, who died July 7, 1855, and was buried there. In 1860 married again to Miss Louisa J. Smith, who was born in De Kalb County, Mo., and married about four miles north of Cameron. Has four children, Ella, Emma, William Sherman, and Edward Russell. His eldest daughter, Ella, is considered to be one of the finest artists in the city as a retoucher of paintings and photographs, and also is a natural sculptor and took the gold medal at the State Fair here on statues and paintings, never having had any instruction in the art. His oldest son is a natural mechanic and fine mathematician. Mr. Bing is a member of the I. O. O. F. Capitol Lodge No. 11, as P. G. Also of the Temple of Honor and of the Grand Army of the Republic, Farragut Post No. 25.
M. BIRNEY, locomotive engineer B. & M. R. R. Was born in Ohio, October 14, 1853. His parents moved from there to Leroy, Ill. In 1869 he commenced his railroad life on the C. & A. R. R. in Illinois. In 1881, he moved to Nebraska, located in Lincoln, and entered the service of the B. & M. R. R. in his present position. He was married in Champaign, Ill., December 22, 1877, to Miss Sarah C. Busey, of that city. They have one child, Mary. Mr. B. is a member of the Brotherhood of Locomotive Firemen and the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers.
GEORGE W. BLAKE, contractor, was born on the 13th of March 1843, at Hanover, Jo Daviess Co., Ill. Went to school up to the age of twelve, and then went farming with his parents in same county, and in 1866 worked with his team for a woolen manufacturing company for about one year at Galena. In 1869 moved to Clinton, Iowa, and engaged in the hotel business, in connection with his brother and a Mr. Marshall, for about one year, then sold his interest out and worked at mason work for Pilcher & Lord, for one season, and in the following spring went into partnership with J. B. Allen, contracting until 1873, when he dissolved partnership and went into the butcher business with Mr. Tifney until April, 1874; then sold out and went into the contracting business on his own account. Came to Lincoln and went to work for Keyes & Bullock for about six months; then went into partnership with his brother, S. R. Blake, until December, 1880, since which time he has been doing business on his own account. Mr. Blake contracted for and built all the stone work on the following buildings: State Journal, Umphrey Bros., Osborn Building, Veith's, Leyton & Brown's, Walsh & Putnam's, J. J. Butler's, D. B. Alexander's, here: also the Deaf and Dumb Institute at Omaha, and the stone work for the hotel at Calvert. Was married to Miss Celina B. Jackson at Galena, Ill., 11th of April, 1867; has seven children, Fred Clarence, W. Russell, Lora Vale, Aldon Milton, Harry Wilson, William Samuel and Winfield Scott, four of whom are now attending school. Mr. B. enlisted in 1875 in the Iowa State Militia, First Regiment, Company C. Capt. Hess; enlisted as private and was promoted to Third Sergeant, and in April, 1879, resigned.
SQUIRE BLASIER, contractor and builder, was born in 1836 at Rome, Oneida Co., N. Y., and up to the age of twenty-five was with his parents farming and learning his trade, and in 1863 went to Iowa and remained there till 1868, farming and other occupations. He moved to Nebraska in spring of 1868; came and located in Lincoln. He first engaged in the butcher business for about two years; he opened the first shop and killed the first two steers and hogs in Lincoln. Then sold out and engaged at this business, has since increased his business to a considerable extent. Was married in the fall of 1856 to Miss Nancy Blasier. Has four children now living, Louisa Dora, Carry O., Freddie and Lilly. Was in the State Militia of New York, Forty-sixth Regiment, Company K; entered as Orderly and was promoted to Second Lieutenant, and discharged in 1862 at Rome, N. Y. Belongs to Red Ribbon Club; has been a member for last four years.
H. H. BLODGETT, attorney at law, was born at Copenhagen, September 7, 1845. He resided there until 1857, when he removed to Morrison, Ill., living there until 1868. In that year he came to Nebraska, and in 1869 located here permanently. He was admitted to the bar in 1870, and has been engaged in practice since that time.
A. F. BLUNDELL, manager Lincoln Telephone Exchange Company, was born in Luton, Bedfordshire, England, March 7, 1856. He moved to Montreal, in 1870, and from there to Cincinnati, Ohio; then to Fort Madison, Iowa, where he learned telegraphing. He engaged in this for a time, and then went on the road with theatrical companies, until 1878, when he settled in Lincoln, and entered the land department of the B. & M. R. R. in which he continued until September, 1881, when he was appointed to his present position. Mr. B. is a member of the First Methodist Episcopal Church, and of the K. of P. of Iowa.
CHARLES T. BOGGS, insurance agent, came to Lincoln in March, 1870, and has been engaged in his present business since. He also deals in real estate to some extent. He was born in Chicago, Ill., in 1846, and reared in Havana, Mason Co., Ill. He came from the latter place to Lincoln. During the war he served in Company E. Twenty-seventh Illinois Volunteer Infantry, as a private soldier. Mr. Boggs was married at Havana, Mason Co., Ill., February 20, 1873, to Mary E. Caffyn, a native of Indiana.
JOHN C. BONNELL, assistant land commissioner of the Burlington and Missouri River Railroad, in Nebraska, was born in Newark, N. J., July 28, 1841. His parents moved to the then Territory of Iowa, in 1843, settling in Fort Madison. The subject of this sketch received his schooling in that vicinity. In 1862 he enlisted in the Nineteenth Regiment, Iowa Volunteers, Company E. Commissioned First Lieutenant in September, 1864. Served until the close of the war, then returned to Fort Madison, and engaged in merchandising and milling until 1869, then entered the service of the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad, at Fort Madison. In 1870 he was transferred to Burlington, and was employed in the passenger department and as traveling agent. In 1873 he changed into the passenger and land department of the Atchison, Topeka and Sante Fe Railroad, and returned to the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad in 1875. Was then appointed secretary of the Iowa Land Department. In 1876 he was commissioned by Gov. Garber, of Nebraska, to arrange a display in Agricultural Hall, at the Centennial Exhibition. He designed and completed the display, and returned to Burlington, Iowa, leaving a man in charge. He removed to Nebraska in 1879, located in Omaha as general agent of the Burlington and Missouri River Railroad, and in 1880 he moved to Lincoln and took his present position. He was married in Fort Madison, Iowa, June 4, 1866, to Miss Sarah E. Arnold, of Fort Madison. They have five children, Lizzie, Jennie, Ida, Pearl and Ralph A. Mr. B. is a member of the M. E. Church. He is a prominent member of the G. A. R., being Commander of the Post, A. A. A., General of the State, and is a delegate to the Grand Encampment at Baltimore, in 1882.
GEORGE W. BONNELL, ticket agent of the Burlington and Missouri River Railroad, in Nebraska, was born in Dover, Lee Co., Iowa, October 8, 1849. In 1859 he removed to Mount Pleasant, Iowa, finished his education at the Fort Madison Academy. In 1868 he studied telegraphing and took charge of the office of the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad, at Fort Madison and at other points; was then transfered to Burlington, two years later he returned to Fort Madison and took the position of ticket agent and operator there. In 1878 he removed to Nebraska, locating in Lincoln, and took the position of assistant cashier, in the Burlington and Missouri Land Department. Was appointed to present position in March, 1880. He was married in Fort Madison, Iowa, September 18, 1873, to Miss Libbie M. Frow, eldest daughter of J. W. Frow, Postmaster at Fort Madison. They have two children, Daisy F. and Winnie B. Mr. B. is a member of the Congregational Church, and of the Knights of Pythias of Lincoln, and the A. O. U. W. of Fort Madison.