Physical Character | Early Settlement | Indian Troubles|
County Organization | Official Roster | County Statistics|
Railroads | District Schools | Taxation
County Poor Department | County Societies
Lincoln: Early History | Incorporation | Official Roster|
City Institutions | Post Office
Lincoln (cont.): University of Nebraska|
Lincoln (cont.): University of Nebraska (cont.)|
Lincoln (cont.): Insane Hospital|
Nebraska State Penitentiary | The Second Revolt
Lincoln (cont.): Public Schools | Fire Department|
The Press | Churches
Lincoln (cont.): Societies, Associations, Etc.|
Temperance Societies | Musical Societies
Business Interests | Banks | Hotels
Lincoln (cont.): |
Wholesale and Manufacturing Establishments
Biographical Sketches- ABBOTT~ALLEN
10 - 24:
** Lincoln Biographical Sketches ** (cont.)|
| ALFORD~BONNELL | BOHANON~CARR |
| CARTER~CUMMINGS | DAILEY~FEDEWA |
| FULLER~GRIMM | GULICK~HOGE |
| HOLMES~KEELER | KELLY~McCONNIFF |
| McCORD~NANCE | NEWMAN~PHILLIPS |
| PHILPOTT~RANDLE | RAYMOND~SCOTT |
| SEATON~STRICKLAND | SWAN~WALSH |
| WEBER~WUNDERLICH |
Bennet: Churches | Societies ||
| Biographical Sketches - ALLSTOT~GRIBLING
Bennett: Biographical Sketches - HANSON~PIPER|
Bennett: Biographical Sketches - RHEA~WILSON|
Waverly: Biographical Sketches|
Firth: Biographical Sketches|
Roca | Other Points
Grant Precinct | Saltillo Precinct | Stockton Precinct
List of Illustrations in Lancaster County Chapter
(SWAN thru WAY)
J. SWAN, proprietor B. & M. Railroad Eating House, was born in London, Eng., May 8, 1838; came to the United States in 1868, locating in Peoria, Ill.; engaged in the hotel business, keeping the City Hotel there; removed to Nebraska in 1870, settling in Lincoln, and has been engaged in keeping hotel until August, 1881, when he took his present business. He was married in Peoria, Ill., December 3, 1868, to Miss Sophia Furst, of Peoria. Mr. S. is a member of the Hotel Keepers Association of the United States.
JAMES SWEENEY, house mover, was born in 1818, in Dublin, Ireland, and came to the United States with his parents at the age of six months. They located in Indiana, and engaged in farming: Here he was raised and received a partial education, up to the age of eighteen, and in 1836 came to Lincoln and settled on Salt Basin, about two miles northwest of the city, and engaged in herding cattle. In 1839, went to Fort Kearney, and from thence to Fort Scott, Kan., and engaged in the same business for about five years; then went to California; remained there a few years; returned to Fort Scott; engaged again in the same business; from thence went to Warren County, Ill., and engaged in the house-moving business for several years; in 1874, returned to Lincoln, and engaged in the same business; was married in 1858, in Illinois, to Miss Sarah Richie; has five children--Julia, Elizabeth, Josephus, J. Edward, and Mary Jane, the two oldest daughters being both married, and are members of the Temple of Honor.
L. F. TAYLOR, steward, State Hospital for Insane, was born in 1844, in North Carolina, where he was raised, and from thence went to Madison County, Ind., and availed himself of an academical education, and afterward taught school for one year; enlisted, in 1863, in the One Hundred and Thirtieth Indiana Infantry, Company "K" under Col. Sitwell. He participated in all the battles with his regiment, and was mustered out in December, 1865, at Charlotte, N. C., and discharged in Indiana. In 1868, came to Norfolk, Neb., and homesteaded 160 acres of land. In 1872, acted as agent for the sale of agricultural implements; in 1879, was appointed as steward to the State Asylum. Was married in 1877, to Miss Mattie Irwin, and has one child, Alta. Is a member of the A., F. & A. M.
O. E. THAYER, engineer, was born June 21, 1855, in Wapello County, Iowa where he availed himself of a school education until his father's death (who died in the war), when he went to Monroe County and worked on a farm, and in 1871, engaged with the C., B. & Q. R. R. as fireman, for three years, then was made engineer (switching) for about four years, then ran regular trips between Council Bluffs and Creston, than went to Red Oak, and in the summer of 1881, was made assistant engineer of the water works there, and in February, 1882, came to Lincoln, and was engaged by J. B. Webster as stationary engineer. Was married twice, first to Miss Eliza Thompson, who died December 16, 1880, leaving one child, Floss, secondly to Miss C. Thompson, December, 1881; these were sisters, and were both born in Pennsylvania.
DR. C. R. TEFFT, dentist, located at Lincoln, in 1880. He was born in Cassopolis, Cass Co., Mich., August 29, 1858. That was his home until about fourteen years of age, when he went to South Center, Minn. He remained there a year, and then went to Durand, Wis., living there two years. He commenced the study of dentistry there, and returned to Cassopolis, where he remained about three years, then moving to Nebraska. He has been in practice about a year and a half. He was married at Lincoln, November 2, 1881, to Belle Marquette, daughter of Hon. T. M. Marquette, a native of Plattsmouth, Neb. The doctor is a member of A., F. & A. M.
D. E. THOMPSON, assistant superintendent of the B. & M. & Nebraska R. R., was born in Branch County, Mich., February 28, 1854. In 1872, he moved to Nebraska, located at Lincoln, and entered the service of the B. & M. R. R., as brakeman. In 1875, took a position as passenger conductor, on the A. T. & Sante Fe R. R., and in 1878, returned to the B. & M. R. R. as freight conductor and extra passenger conductor. In 1879, he was appointed train master and in 1880, was appointed to his present position. He was married in Bellevue, Sarpy Co., Neb., August 4 1875, to Miss Emma S. Voss of Sarpy County. They have one child, Laura A.
G. E. THOMPSON, jeweler and engraver. In business about one year, succeeded C. H. Day. Mr. T. was born in Adrian, Mich., August 2, 1849. Learned his business partially there, and finished it in Amboy, Ill., where he moved about 1869. In 1876, he settled in Lincoln, Neb. He was married in Lincoln, September 16, 1880, to Miss Josie L. Guy of Davenport, Iowa. They have one child, George E., jr.
S. R. THOMPSON, A. M. Dean of Agricultural College, and professor of Agriculture, was born in Pennsylvania, in 1833, and spent his years to manhood in that State. He was educated at Westminster College, and graduated as A. B. in 1860. His studies were directed towards civil engineering, and during some of the later years of his course, he taught the mathematics in the college. After leaving college he served for some years as County Superintendent of Schools in Crawford County, Pa. After three years spent in Normal school work in Pennsylvania, he had charge of the State Normal School of West Virginia for three years. In 1871 he came to Nebraska and was elected to the position he now holds. In January, 1876, he resigned to accept the principalship of the State Normal School, and this was in turn resigned to accept the office of State Superintendent of Public Instruction, to which he was elected in the fall of 1876, and re-elected in 1878. Soon after the close of his second term in 1881, he was reappointed to the position in the State University which he had formerly held, and which he still occupies. He was married in 1859 to Miss Lucy Gilmour, oldest daughter of Hon. William Gilmour, of this State. They have one child, a girl, named Mary. Prof. T. owns and cultivates 280 acres of land situated some three miles east of Lincoln, where he has resided with his family for the last ten years. His farm is devoted principally to stock raising--grade, Short-horn cattle, Clydesdale horses and Poland-China swine. The farm is well improved and has an orchard of some 400 trees beginning to bear. Prof. T. came first to Nebraska in 1857, at which time he engaged in lumbering in Cass County.
M. D. TIFFANY, manufacturer of upholstery, bedding and furniture, was born April 5, 1835, in Fredonia, Chautauqua Co., N. Y., where he was raised and educated up to the age of sixteen; then went to Buffalo and remained there three years learning his trade, and from thence went to Jamestown, N. Y., and engaged with the firm of Comstock & Co., as foreman, for several years; and afterward entered into business for himself, and in 1871 came to Lincoln and was employed for Messrs. Crabb & Macumber as foreman and assistant general manager for four years; then in 1875 established himself in business here and opened up first an establishment on Eleventh street, and now has his factory on O street, and through close attention to business controls an extensive shipping trade, as also a large jobbing trade. His patent spring mattress is considered to be one of the best in the county and has been extensively used by all of the leading hotels in this city and others in the State. Was married in 1861 to Miss Abbie P. Beardslee, of Buffalo, who is now principal of the Eleventh Street High School, being elected as such in 1881. Mrs. Tiffany graduated at the academies of Olean and Randolph, N. Y., in the years 1858-59, and was assistant principal at Gowanda Academy, N. Y. Mr. T. is member of the I. O. O. F., Capital Lodge No. 11; also Charter member of Knights of Pythias, No. 8.
J. N. TOWNLY, proprietor of Oriental Hotel. The house was built in 1871 and purchased by Mr. T., October, 1881; contains 54 rooms, and has accommodations for 100 to 150 guests. J. N. Townly was born in Essex County, N. J., September 20, 1816. His parents moved to Tompkins County, N. Y., and from there, about 1833 to Columbus, Ohio. About 1842, the subject of this sketch went south, engaging in mercantile business, in Mississippi and Louisiana, remaining some years. Then returned to Ohio, and settled in Adams County; from there he moved to Highland County, about 1856, engaged in mercantile business and also in hotel business; has been in the latter altogether about twenty years. In 1868 he moved to Nebraska, settling in Lincoln. Was proprietor of B. & M. R. R. eating house about four years, and also built the Townly House. He was married in Adams County, Ohio, October 26, 1846, to Miss Elizabeth Heddleson, of Adams County. They have two children, M. Frank, now Mrs. Dr. Fuller; Dick H., a Lieutenant in the United States Navy. Mr. T. is a member of the A., F. & A. M., Lodge and Chapter of Lincoln.
TOMSON & JOHNSON, candy manufacturers. Business established in January, 1882. Mr. H. B. Tomson superintends the factory, and Mr. G. W. Johnson superintends the general business. They employ five men at the factory. G. W. Johnson of the above firm, was born in Chautauqua County, N. Y., May 2, 1859. His parents are old residents of that section. In the spring of 1877 he left home and settled in Lincoln, where he engaged in the sale of railroad tickets, a business he still continues, being the Lincoln representative of the American Ticket Brokers Association.
A. M. TRIMBLE, general agent for Nebraska, for the R. Ellwood Manufacturing Company, of Sycamore, Ill., manufactures riding cultivators, with seeder attachment, self dump horse rakes, self lift sulky plows, steel tooth harrows, horse powers, revolving box churns, barrel carts, patent barn door hangers, iron hitching posts, post caps, Maul's sleigh shoes, fence pickets, and the little giant wire stretchers. Mr. T. was born in Clinton County, Ohio, February 16, 1840; his parents moved to Illinois in 1843, and settled in Princeton, Bureau Co., where the subject of this sketch was educated and raised. He enlisted in 1862, as Sergeant Major of the Ninety-third Regiment, Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and served until the close of the war, being mustered out in July, 1865. He returned to Bureau County, Ill., and was for a time Deputy Postmaster. He then removed to Mendota, Ill., and kept a book store for about two years, during which time he organized and commanded a company of 150 tanners, who whooped it up for Gen. Grant. Then he removed to Sycamore, Ill., and engaged in selling agricultural implements; and here he organized another company of tanners, for the campaign of 1872, and is still hurrahing for Grant. In 1872 he went to Ottawa, Ill., as Deputy Clerk of the Supreme Court, for the Northern Division, under his brother, C. D. Trimble, the clerk, a position he retained until December, 1878. During this clerkship, in the Supreme Court of Illinois, he was an active member of the G. A. R., of that State, and held the third office in the State for two years, that of Junior Vice Commander. Was also a member of the City Council, of the City of Ottawa, where he lived, for two years, and assisted in organizing the Illinois National Guard, holding a captain's commission on the staff of the then and now Governor of the State, Hon. Shelby M. Cullom, which he resigned in the spring of 1879, on leaving the State for the West. In March, 1879, he removed to Nebraska, locating in Lancaster County, and engaged in farming and stock raising, in which he is still interested. He commenced with the Ellwood Company, in 1880, as their general agent in Kansas and Missouri, and in 1881 was put in charge of their business in Nebraska. He was married in DuQuoin, Perry Co., Ill., January 14, 1869, to Mary E. Bingham. Mr. T. is a member of the I. O. O. F., of Lincoln, and is, we believe, a stalwart.
GEORGE P. TUCKER, real estate dealer, came to Nebraska in 1856, and located at Helena, Johnson Co. He engaged in farming and stock raising there. In the fall of 1862 he enlisted in Company F, Second Nebraska Cavalry. He served at the battle of Whitestone Hill, September 3 and 4, 1863. He served thirteen months being most of the time Quartermaster Sergeant. He was Postmaster at Helena for some time. He was a member of the first State Legislature. In 1872 he came to Lincoln, and served one term in the State Senate after coming here. For five years he was receiver of the Lincoln Land Office. He was born at Walworth, Wayne Co., N. Y., September 28, 1834, and lived there until 1856. He was married at Helena, Johnson Co., Neb., in April 1864, to Nancy J. Smith, a native of New York, but reared in Ohio. They have seven children, Charles A., Luther G., George P., Ada A., Frank and William L., and an infant daughter. They lost one child, in infancy. Mr. Tucker is a member of A., F. & A. M., Blue Lodge, Chapter and Commandery.
THEODORE TYCHSEN, of the firm of H. P. Lau & Co., wholesale dealers in fancy groceries, fruits, etc., was born in Prussia, August 16, 1847, and came to America in 1873. He was married at Lincoln, May 12, 1877, to Hermena Placidus, a native of Prussia. They have one child, George. Mr. Tychsen is a member of the Harmonic Musical Society.
JAMES TYLER, architect, came to Nebraska in 1870 and located at Omaha. He was master mechanic of the postoffice building at that place and continued there until he came to Lincoln, in 1875, to perform a similar duty here. He was thus employed until June, 1870, when he was appointed superintendent of construction of the insane asylum. He was born in Gloucestershire, England, September 25, 1843, and came to America in 1868, locating at St. Louis, Mo. He was engaged in the construction of the Four Courts at St. Louis. Then he went to Chicago and erected St. James Church. Mr. Tyler is a stone-cutter and carver by trade. He assisted in remodeling Windsor Castle and other well-known English buildings, being one of the most distinguished workers of stone in the country. He commenced this work when ten years old. He was married in London, England, April 11, 1867, to Emily Elizabeth Burgis, a native of Epsom. They have five children, James, Edward, George, Frederick William, Grace M. and Ethel May. Mr. Tyler is a member of A., F. & A. M., Blue Lodge, Chapter and Commandery, and of I. O. O. F., Subordinate Lodge and Encampment.
EDGAR VANDERPOOL, proprietor of sale and feed stable, was born, February 1858, in Walworth County, Wis., and at an early age went with his parents to Cedar County, Iowa, and remained with them until he was about fifteen years of age. In 1873 came to Nebraska, and engaged in farming in Lancaster County, two miles northwest of Lincoln, and owns an interest in 240 acres situated in Oak Creek Precinct. In the spring of 1881 went into partnership with his brother in the feed and sale stable business, and since which time dissolved partnership, and carries on the business alone. He is the owner of some thoroughbred horses, such as "Rois Duke," Son of Hambletonian, and others, which he keeps solely for breeding purposes.
HENRY VEITH, grocer and baker. Business established in 1869 by Mr. Veith. He employs five men and runs two wagons. Mr. Veith was born in Hesse-Darmstadt, Germany, December 2, 1846. He came to the United States in 1867 and located in Pekin, Ill,; there engaged in baking, a trade he had learned in Germany. In 1869 he removed to Nebraska and settled in Lincoln. He was married in Lincoln, February 24, 1872, to Miss Catherine Goetz, a native of Germany. They have five children, Henry, Catherine, Mary, Emma and Fred. Mr. V. is a member of the German Lutheran Church, the I. O. O. F. and the Harmonic Society.
C. H. WAITE, locomotive engineer B. & M. R. R. in Nebraska, was born in Clermont County, Ohio, January 18, 1851. His parents moved to Hannibal, Mo., about 1853. In 1868 he commenced his railroad life on the Hannibal & Jo. R. R. He continued in the service of this company, holding different positions, until he moved to Nebraska, in 1878. He then engaged with the A. & N. R. R., and became connected with the B. & M. R. R. when the latter took control of the A. & N. R. R. He was married in Laclede, Lynn Co., Mo., June 22, 1873, to Miss Mattie A. Thomas, of that county. Mr. W. is a member of the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers.
JOHN WALLICHS, State Auditor, came to Grand Island in September, 1861, and engaged in farming until 1867. In that year he was elected County Clerk, taking charge of the office in November of that year; he held the office until January, 1880 November 4, 1880, he was elected Auditor. He served two terms in the Territorial Legislature, and was the first elected Mayor of Grand Island. For four successive terms he was City Clerk. He is a native of Schleswig-Holstein, and was born September 13, 1833. Came to America, June 20, 1852, and located at Washington, Mo., where he remained for a year; then went to Cincinnati, where he lived until 1855. He spent two years at Davenport and one at St. Paul before coming to Nebraska. He was married at Grand Island, November 4, 1864, to Margaret Jahn, a native of the place where he was born. They have eight children, Augusta, Agathe, John, Theodore, Julius, Charles, Annie, and an infant son.
[Portrait of H. J. Walsh.]
H. J. WALSH, secretary and treasurer of the Lincoln Gas Light Co., was born in Ireland March 24, 1834. His parents removed to America with their family in 1834, and located at Niagara Falls, in New York. H. J. resided there until 1853, when he went to Milwaukee, Wis., where he remained four or five years. He then returned to Niagara Falls and engaged in dry goods business, which he continued for seven years. After spending one year in the Southern States, he engaged in boot and shoe business at St. Louis; remained there but one summer. Having an attack of cholera, his health was so much impaired that he returned to New York, and for three years carried on boot and shoe business at Lockport. In March, 1869, he came to Lincoln, Neb., and engaged in real estate business in partnership with Israel Putnam, which business he carried on until 1874. In 1873 they built the Academy of Music, the new bank building, corner of O and Eleventh streets, which, completed in 1882, perfects the block. He and Mr. Putnam became interested in the Gas Company several years ago; later they became the virtual proprietors of the works. Mr. Walsh was a member of the Board of Trustees at the time Lincoln was organized as a city of the second class. He has since served as Alderman. For over a year he was one of the Trustees of the State Institute for the Blind. He is a member of the A., F. & A. M., Blue Lodge, Chapter and Commandery.
WALLINGFORD, SCHAMP & CO, wholesale and retail dealers in wagons, buggies, agricultural implements, farm machinery, etc. The firm is composed of J. A. Wallingford, J. Shamp and J. D. Brown; established in January, 1882. They carry in stock the Buckeye cultivators, seeders and drills; Grand Detour, Peoria and Marsh sulky and walking plows, Grand Detour and Moline cultivators and Marsh harvesters and binders, Whitney platform-binder, Williams' harvester, reaper and mower; Osborne harvester, binder and reaper; Standard, Climax and Seymour mowers; John S. Davis & Son's oscillator thresher and stationary and traveling engines, the Weyrich header, Barlow & Quincy Champion Iowa Standard corn planter, Osage seed grinder, Great Western seeder, and the L. Cook buggies. J. A. Wallingford, of the above firm, was born in Shelby County, Ohio, June 4, 1851. He removed with his parents to Iowa, and from there to Nebraska. In 1859 they settled in Lancaster County. J. A. was raised on a farm, and followed it until about 1876; since that time he has been engaged in dealing in agricultural implements. He was married in Hamilton County, Neb., in October, 1876, to Miss Miller, of that county. They have three children, Vere O., Mabel R. and Eunice E. Mr. W. is a member of the I. O. O. F. of Lincoln.
JAMES P. WALTON, City Engineer and County Surveyor, came to Lincoln in January, 1875, and has since resided here. For about five years he was engaged in the real estate, insurance, and surveying business, and since that he has been engaged in real estate and surveying exclusively. He has been City Engineer for about three years, and has been County Surveyor since January 1, 1876. He was born at Chester, Meigs Co., Ohio, December 3, 1847. When he was quite young his parents moved to Barlow, Washington Co., Ohio, living there for a few years. They then moved to Warren, in the same county, and in 1858, went to Pana, Ill. That was his home until he came to Nebraska. He began surveying in January, 1868. He was educated at Marietta (Ohio) College, and was married at that place in 1870, to Mary A. Bailey. She died in 1875, leaving one child, Mary E. In August, 1877, he was married in Lincoln, Neb., to Eliza A. Dobson, a native of Wisconsin. They have two children, Clara R. and Edwin R.
HENRY B. WARE, train dispatcher for the B. & M. R. R., Lincoln, Neb., was born in Le Claire, Iowa. When about eleven years old he commenced to study telegraphy, and engaged in this department with the C., B. & Q. R. R. in Iowa, at Villisca and other points; continued in this until 1878, when he moved to Plattsmouth, Neb., and engaged in the B. & M. R. R. freight department. From there he moved to Atchison, Kan., as agent of the B. & M. R. R.; was appointed to his present position in January, 1881. He was married in Omaha, Neb., in August, 1878, to Miss Ella English, of Villisca, Iowa. They have one child, Hedley B. Mr. W. is a member of the K. of P.
WARE & BROOKS, real estate; business established in 1879, by Mr. Ware; present firm was organized January 1, 1882; dealing in all classes of real estate exclusively. F. W. Ware, of the above firm, was born in Dundas, Wentworth Co., Canada, November 20, 1836, receiving a preliminary education in his native county. He then studied under tutors, and also taught school for a time. He then entered upon a probationary course of four years, preparing for the ministry; was ordained in Quebec in 1863, by the president of the Wesleyan Methodist Church; remained in Canada and engaged in preaching until the Spring of 1866; on account of ill health was obliged to rest about two years; was then engaged in preaching in Freeport, L. I., about two years. From there he removed to Brooklyn, N. Y., where he filled the pulpit in three different churches for about seven years, and from there he went to New York City. His health again failing, he was obliged to resign his charge in 1879; removed to Lincoln, Neb. After a short time spent in the land office of the B. & M. R. R., he established the present business. He was married in Ontario, Canada, July 14, 1863, to Miss Maria M. Hutchinson, of St. Williams, Norfolk County. They have four children living--Esther Maria Elizabeth, Louise Mary, Marcus Clark Quincy, Silvia Evaline. J. W. Brooks, of the above firm, was born in Crawford, Pa., August 19, 1832; educated in his native county. About in 1864, he removed to Ashtabula County, Ohio, where he engaged in farming and cattle business. From there he removed to Nebraska; in 1867, located in Nebraska City a few months, then settled in Johnson County, where he followed farming until about 1875; then he moved into Tecumseh and engaged in the sale of sewing machines and musical instruments. He sold out in 1879, and removed to Lincoln, where he engaged in hotel keeping a few months, then went into real estate. He was married in Crawford County, Pa., February 9, 1851, to Miss Graff, of said county. They have five children living--Hialmer W., now a resident of Pawnee City, Neb.; Addie, now Mrs. Taylor, of Tecumseh, Neb.; Lydia, Curtin S., Frank V. Mr. B. is a member of the A., F. & A. M., and the K. of H.; was also of the I. O. O. F. at one time.
T. H. WATERS, contractor and plasterer, was born November, 1843, in Wales, and came to the United States with his parents in 1849, and was educated in Brooklyn, N. Y.; after which, worked as an apprentice in the machine shops of the Brooklyn Navy Yard Company for about one year; then worked at plastering for three years and six months, and in 1862 went to St. Louis, and from thence to Denver for one year, working at his trade; and in 1864, came to Omaha, and engaged with the U. P. R. R. Co., under S. Kenzie, plastering, etc., and in 1867 went into business for himself, contracting and plastering. In 1869, came to Lincoln; established himself here, and is now considered to be one of the most prominent plasterers in the city, having plastered some of the principal city blocks, etc. Was married August 3, 1871, to Miss Sarah Barrett, who was born at Dayton, Ohio; has four children--Ethel, Eddie, Daisy, and Leroy; family members of the Presbyterian Church. Belongs to Lincoln Lodge, No. 54, holding degree of Royal Arch; also to the I. O. O. F., Capitol Lodge, No. 11, as Past Grand Patriarch.
ALBERT WATKINS, of the firm of Watkins & Barnhart, proprietors of the State Democrat, was born in Worcester, England, November 16, 1848, and came to America with his parents, James and Mary A. Watkins, in 1849. They located in Iowa County, Wis., and resided there until their death in 1869. Mr. Albert Watkins was educated in the schools of Linden, Wis., and at the State University at Madison, graduating in the scientific course at the latter institution in 1871, and from the law department in 1872. He commenced practice at Mineral Point, Wis., in 1873 and practiced for one year. He then purchased the Mineral Point Democrat and conducted it until 1877. From January, 1875, to January, 1878, he served as County Superintendent of Schools. He then purchased a half interest in the Sioux City (Iowa) Tribune, and was editor-in-chief of that paper until July, 1880. February 15, 1882, he purchased an interest in the Lincoln State Democrat and is now editor thereof. He was married at Linden, Iowa Co., Wis., December 31, 1875, to Anna M. Baker, a native of that place. They have two children, Clara A. and Albert.
DR. H. H. WAY, dentist, Lincoln, was born at Kennett, near Philadelphia, Pa., July 26, 1848. His parents are of English descent and can trace ancestry back to the battle of the Boyne. Some of them came to this country and purchased lands direct from William Penn, and settled in Pennsylvania. Dr. Way's father was a practicing dentist and he studied under him for some time. He received his general education at the Kennett Academy. In 1872 he entered the Pennsylvania Dental College and graduated in 1874; then commenced to practice at Kennett, continuing there until he moved to Lincoln, Neb., in November, 1880. He was married in Kennett, Pa., May 9, 1878, to Miss Tryphena J. Pound, of Kennett, but originally from St. Thomas, Canada. The family are now residents of Lancaster County, Neb. They have two children, Asa Pound and Estella Pennock. Dr. Way is a member of the Society of Friends and of the K. of P., and I. O. of G. T. of Pennsylvania.