Physical Character | Early Settlement | Indian Troubles|
County Organization | Official Roster | County Statistics|
Railroads | District Schools | Taxation
County Poor Department | County Societies
Lincoln: Early History | Incorporation | Official Roster|
City Institutions | Post Office
Lincoln (cont.): University of Nebraska|
Lincoln (cont.): University of Nebraska (cont.)|
Lincoln (cont.): Insane Hospital|
Nebraska State Penitentiary | The Second Revolt
Lincoln (cont.): Public Schools | Fire Department|
The Press | Churches
Lincoln (cont.): Societies, Associations, Etc.|
Temperance Societies | Musical Societies
Business Interests | Banks | Hotels
Lincoln (cont.): |
Wholesale and Manufacturing Establishments
Biographical Sketches- ABBOTT~ALLEN
10 - 24:
** Lincoln Biographical Sketches ** (cont.)|
| ALFORD~BONNELL | BOHANON~CARR |
| CARTER~CUMMINGS | DAILEY~FEDEWA |
| FULLER~GRIMM | GULICK~HOGE |
| HOLMES~KEELER | KELLY~McCONNIFF |
| McCORD~NANCE | NEWMAN~PHILLIPS |
| PHILPOTT~RANDLE | RAYMOND~SCOTT |
| SEATON~STRICKLAND | SWAN~WALSH |
| WEBER~WUNDERLICH |
Bennet: Churches | Societies ||
| Biographical Sketches - ALLSTOT~GRIBLING
Bennett: Biographical Sketches - HANSON~PIPER|
Bennett: Biographical Sketches - RHEA~WILSON|
Waverly: Biographical Sketches|
Firth: Biographical Sketches|
Roca | Other Points
Grant Precinct | Saltillo Precinct | Stockton Precinct
List of Illustrations in Lancaster County Chapter
About twelve miles northeast of Lincoln is the town of Waverly, with its 225 people. Notwithstanding its proximity to the capital it does a good general business for a place of its size. Its early settlement dates back to a period only a few years before the completion of the Burlington & Missouri railroad through the county in 1871. John S. Green, the first settler, located in 1869. In 1874 he built a store, John Berg establishing a blacksmith shop soon afterwards. Mr. Berg was the second settler in Waverly, and James Schofield, one of its most prominent citizens, came next. Walker and Schofield opened the first general store. A. Cook and his son, who form one of the leading business firms of Waverly, were among the early settlers, coming in the spring of 1874, and establishing a lumber yard. A post office had been started in 1871, John S. Green, Postmaster. The present incumbent is Mrs. Mary A. Travis. Since the erection of the first few buildings the town has grown until it now contains five general stores, three blacksmith shops, three elevators, one hardware store, one drug store, one shoe shop, one harness shop, one bakery, one butcher shop, one hotel, and one barber shop "wanted."
Within a few miles from town are three grist mills. The one situated one and a half miles north thereof and built over twelve years ago by John Hellman, is owned by George E. Bragg. A year ago Mr. Bragg remodeled the mill, so that now it is in prime working order. It has two run of stone, is 24x36 feet, two stories and basement, and has a capacity of twenty-five barrels of flour per day. The mill mostly confines itself to custom work, however. The water power is on Salt Creek.
Four miles northeast of Waverly, on Rock Creek, is the mill of Samuel Atkinson, with two run of stone. D. L. Bundy also operates a mill, on the same stream.
A. Cook & Son operate the steam elevator and lumber yard, in Waverly. The elevator, erected in the fall of 1881, has a capacity of 12,000 bushels. Walker & Brother, and James Schofield also own and manage what are called "shovel houses."
The town has one hotel, James W. Crabtree, proprietor. It was erected in 1874 at a cost of $1,600, the dimensions of the main building being 34x18 feet.
Waverly is unincorporated, but has a well-maintained district school by which the young ideas are made to shoot. The building, a credit to the town, was erected in 1881 at a cost of $2,700. It is a roomy two-story frame structure, and accommodates about 100 scholars. Miss Tillie Blagg is the principal.
As for churches, the Congregationalists and Lutherans are in the ascendant. The former have a good society presided over by Rev. Randall Campbell, of Lincoln.
The Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church was formed by Prof. Samuel Aughey, of Lincoln, and Rev. Mr. Kuhlmann, a missionary preacher. The former held religious services in Waverly for a number of years, but it was not until July, 1880, that a regular pastor was engaged, the Rev. M. L. Melick. The church building, just completed, was dedicated October 2, 1881. Jonathan, Samuel, and David Reitz, Jeremiah Heilman and Franklin Fisher were among the original members and remain among those now most prominent. The membership has increased from thirteen to thirty-seven, and the property is now valued at $2,500.
There is but one secret society in Waverly, formed a few years ago--Mitchell Post No. 38 (G. A. R.). Its membership is about thirty.
CHARLES COOK, lumber and grain merchant, was born in Clinton, Ontario, Canada, May 8, 1853, where he was in business with his father, who owned flour and saw mills at Clinton and Blythe. After leaving Clinton he came to Chicago, and worked for a short time at the carpenter business, and in the spring of 1873 came to Lincoln and engaged in the same work until the spring of 1874, when he located here and engaged in the lumber business with his father. Mr. Cook is one of the proprietors of the grain elevator here, which has a storage capacity of about 12,000 bushels; he having superintended the building of the same. Was married in October, 1881, to Miss Lucy A. Bragg, here.
L. J. LODER, farmer, was born in February, 1835, in Coshocton County, Ohio, and up to the year 1857 was with his parents farming. Then went to Plattsmouth until the spring of 1858, when he took a claim of 160 acres on Camp Creek, and entered Section 1, Township 11, Range 8, and held it for three years, and traded 120 acres of the same for a claim of 160 acres on Salt Creek, and entered eighty acres more adjoining, making in all 240 acres. Mr. L. is one of the old settlers of the county, and from the proceeds of the farm has been able to build a good house and out buildings for stock, etc. His farm formerly belonged to Mr. Mason, where the first Pawnee Indians were killed by him. He was married in June, 1866, to Miss Alice E. Walker, here, who was born in Lancashire, England, in 1842. They have three children--two boys and one girl.
JAMES SCHOFIELD, merchant, was born in Lancashire, England, in December, 1838, and came to America about June, 1854, and located in Taunton, Mass., and worked in a cotton factory for about three years. Then went to Aurora, Ind., for a short time; returned to Massachusetts and remained there until the fall of 1860, working in different cotton factories. Then came West, and was engaged by the O. & M. R. R. Co. as general repairer on locomotive work for six or eight months. Left the employ of the company and went to Paris, Ind., and worked in a woolen factory till the summer of 1861, when he enlisted in the Eighteenth Indiana Volunteer Infantry, Company A. Was at the battle of Pea Ridge, Ark., where he got disabled and was sent to the hospital, and remained there for about one year, and was discharged in 1863, at St. Louis, Mo. Then went to Aurora, Ind., and engaged again with the O. & M. R. R. on locomotive work until the spring of 1864, when he enlisted again in the 100-day Volunteer Infantry, of Indiana, Company G, and was discharged at expiration of time. He then followed farming until the spring of 1866, when he located in Omaha and was engaged by the U. P. R. R. as bridge builder for a short time, then as fireman on their main branch until the road was completed; then left and went to California, and was engaged by the U. P. R. R. Co. on general work. Returned, and engaged again with the U. P. R. R. Co., firing and running pilot-driver engine, and on general repairs in shop, as well as night foreman of round house, until the fall of 1873, when he located here and opened a store of general merchandise, there being only at that time two or three other dwelling houses and one small store. Is also extensively engaged in the buying and selling of grain as well as of live stock. Was married in 1872, to Miss C. F. Zhuy, in Dearborn County, Ind., who was born in Germany. They have four children, two boys and two girls. He was Quartermaster of the Grand Army of the Republic, also was Postmaster here for one term.
ALVA SMITH, farmer, was born in Grant County, Wis., in January, 1850. He followed farming there for about six years, then came here and settled on a farm of some 400 acres in Mill Precinct and engaged in stock-raising; his stock consisting of some seventy-five head of pure-bred Durhams; he is also extensively engaged in the hog business. He sold last year 13,000 pounds of hogs which he raised and fatted himself, and after feeding his stock, etc., sold some 2,000 bushels of corn as well as a number of blooded calves. Mr. S. located here with but small means, but through close attention to business has been enabled to build spacious out-buildings for his stock, as well as a good dwelling, and is considered to be one of the most prominent farmers in the West, both in stock and grain. He was married in December, 1872, to Miss Eliza Dyer, who was born in Grant County, Wis., in 1851. They have two children, Maud and Frank.
P. H. SUDDUTH, farmer, was born November 14, 1837, in Harrison County, Ohio. Before locating here was engaged in the boot and shoe manufacturing business in Deersville, Ohio, during which time was appointed Marshal, and then elected Mayor of the town for one term. In 1861, enlisted as private in the Sixty-ninth Ohio, Company K, Col. L. Campbell, and in 1862, when the company was formed, was made Second Lieutenant, at Camp Chase, Columbus, Ohio, and after one year's service resigned and returned home. In 1864, enlisted again in the Ninety-eighth Ohio, Company F, as private, and mustered out in July, 1865. Was engaged in the battles of Gallatin and Atlantic. In the fall of 1865, went to Altona, Ill., remained there a short time in the boot and shoe business, and in the spring of 1866, located here on a farm of 160 acres. Having homesteaded the same, he entered another 160 acres southwest of Section 20, with college scrip. His farms have good out buildings and nearly all under cultivation. Was elected County Commissioner in 1869, for one term, also Master of the Grange for four years, also Commander of the Grand Army of Republic, Mitchell Post, for two years, also Director of the Executive Board of County Agricultural Society, also Justice of the Peace for one term, also School Moderator and Director, District No. 52, and in 1882 (January), was made President of the Local Division of Mutual Aid Society here. Was married February 11, in Harrison County, Ohio, to Miss A. Haynes, who was born March 4, 1840, in same county, has six children: Lenora, now married, Hattie, L. Sherman, Mamie, Garfield and Maggie.
WILLIAM WILSON, stone mason, was born April 28, 1824, in Fayette County, Ind., where he resided until the sixteenth year of his age. His youth was passed in availing himself of such educational advantages as he best could, after which he followed farming up to the year 1860. In 1861, went to Alfont, Madison Co., Ind., and there opened a general store of merchandise and a grain warehouse, and was also extensively engaged in buying and selling live stock, and the same year was made Postmaster, holding the same for four years. In the spring of 1865, went to Fortville, Hancock Co., Ind., having sold out his previous business and there engaged in the boot and shoe business for about one year. In 1867, went to Brazil, Clay Co., Ind., and worked at his trade. In 1868, was engaged by the U. P. R. R. Company, at Wood River and Elkhorn, as stone mason on bridges, etc. In 1869, went to Plattsmouth and was employed by the B. & M. R. R., in the same business. In 1870, went to Lincoln, and there contracted for the building of stone houses, etc., and in August of the same year was made foreman of repairs on the B. & M. R. R. between Lincoln and Plattsmouth. In 1871, went to Schuyler, Colfax Co., and worked as a mechanic on the court house. In 1872, went to Tecumseh, and worked at his trade as contractor as also on the B. Y M. R. R., at Kansas. In 1847, purchased the right of territory in Missouri, for the sale of the West Pattern Well Auger, then returned to Indiana and went to farming, and in 1880, located in Lincoln, working at his trade, and then came here as agent. He was married in 1844, to Rebecca McCarty, who was born in Ohio, and died in 1863, leaving six children, of whom only one now survives: Emma, a girl of eighteen years. He was married again in the spring of 1877, to Mrs. Sarah J. Shaul, who was also born in Ohio. He belongs to the Masonic Order, Lincoln Lodge No. 19, as Master Mason for the last twenty-seven years, also charter member of the Sons of Temperance, in Madison County, Ind., and charter member of the Good Templars of Fortville, Ind., member of the quarterly meeting conference in the Methodist Episcopal Church for ten years, having joined the church at the age of sixteen. In 1881, was appointed agent for the Mutual Aid Society, and organized a local division here of about twenty members.
C. H. WORDEN, Justice of the Peace, contractor and builder, was born in 1849, on August 31, in New York, and after leaving school, worked at his trade for a short time, and taught school up to May, 1870, when he went to Independence, Iowa, and worked as carpenter for about two years, then came to Lincoln and engaged in the same work, and in 1874, located here and entered into partnership with the Cook Bros., for about five years, at the end of which time was elected Justice of the Peace for one year, and re-elected last fall.