Physical Character | Early Settlement | Indian Troubles|
County Organization | Official Roster | County Statistics|
Railroads | District Schools | Taxation
County Poor Department | County Societies
Lincoln: Early History | Incorporation | Official Roster|
City Institutions | Post Office
Lincoln (cont.): University of Nebraska|
Lincoln (cont.): University of Nebraska (cont.)|
Lincoln (cont.): Insane Hospital|
Nebraska State Penitentiary | The Second Revolt
Lincoln (cont.): Public Schools | Fire Department|
The Press | Churches
Lincoln (cont.): Societies, Associations, Etc.|
Temperance Societies | Musical Societies
Business Interests | Banks | Hotels
Lincoln (cont.): |
Wholesale and Manufacturing Establishments
Biographical Sketches- ABBOTT~ALLEN
10 - 24:
** Lincoln Biographical Sketches ** (cont.)|
| ALFORD~BONNELL | BOHANON~CARR |
| CARTER~CUMMINGS | DAILEY~FEDEWA |
| FULLER~GRIMM | GULICK~HOGE |
| HOLMES~KEELER | KELLY~McCONNIFF |
| McCORD~NANCE | NEWMAN~PHILLIPS |
| PHILPOTT~RANDLE | RAYMOND~SCOTT |
| SEATON~STRICKLAND | SWAN~WALSH |
| WEBER~WUNDERLICH |
Bennet: Churches | Societies ||
| Biographical Sketches - ALLSTOT~GRIBLING
Bennett: Biographical Sketches - HANSON~PIPER|
Bennett: Biographical Sketches - RHEA~WILSON|
Waverly: Biographical Sketches|
Firth: Biographical Sketches|
Roca | Other Points
Grant Precinct | Saltillo Precinct | Stockton Precinct
List of Illustrations in Lancaster County Chapter
(SEATON thru STRICKLAND)
SEATON & LEA, iron works, manufacture architectural work, steam engine, mill, and elevator machinery etc. Business established here in the winter of 1881. Is a branch of the Atchison, Kansas, works, which works were removed from Alton, Ill., in 1872, the citizens of Atchison paying a bonus of $10,000 to have the works located there. They employ at Atchison about 100 men and at Lincoln from twenty to thirty. Mr. S. has been engaged in the iron business all his life. He was originally from Louisville, Ky., where he learned his business and afterward followed it for about fifteen years at Alton, Ill., and from there to Kansas. Both partners are residents of Atchison.
HON. MILAN H. SESSIONS, attorney at law, was born in Randolph, Orange Co., Vt., Dec. 4, 1821. That was his home until 1850, when he went to Waitsfield, Washington Co., Vt., where he resided until the spring of 1855, then removed to Waupaca, Wis. Lived there until April, 1871, when he came to Lincoln, Neb. In June, 1847, he was admitted to the bar, in Orange County, Vt. In 1853 and 1854, while a resident of Vermont, he served as States Attorney. He was district attorney in 1860 and 1861 while living in Waupaca County, Wis. He also served as a member of the Wisconsin State Senate in 1865 and 1866, and in 1869 he was a member of the House of Representatives of the same State. He raised Company G, Twenty-first Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, and was commissioned Captain of the Company, when it was first organized. He entered the service in August, 1862, and served until the spring of 1864, when he was discharged on account of disability. Since coming to Nebraska, he has twice been a member of the State Legislature, in 1873 and 1879; in the former year he was Speaker of the House. He was first married in Randolph, Orange Co., Vt., in 1847, to Caroline C. Chandler; she died in 1857, leaving three children, John H., Carrie W. and Mary W. Mr. S. was married to his second wife, Elizabeth Wilson, at Madison, Wis., in 1866; she died in 1868; one child, Alice Thorn, survives her. In December, 1878, Mr. S. was married to Jane E. Josyslin, of Waitsfield, Vt., his present wife.
WALES FRANK SEVERANCE, attorney at law and loan agent, came to Lincoln in January, 1881, and has engaged in his present business since that date. He was born in Oswego, N. Y., November 1, 1854, and lived in that county until he was seventeen years old. Then he went to New York City. He began the study of law, with Judge Cyrus Whitney, in Oswego, continuing it in New York City. He was admitted to the bar in New York, in December, 1876, and practiced his profession there until he came to Lincoln.
THOMAS SEWELL, groceries, provisions and woodenware, etc.; business established in 1870 by Mr. Sewell. He carries a stock of about $5,000; employs three clerks, and the yearly sales will aggregate $45,000. Mr. S. was born in Niagara, Canada, December 24, 1835; settled with his mother in Utica, N. Y., in 1843, where he learned the printing business. In 1855, he moved to Chicago and followed his trade until the breaking out of the late civil war. He enlisted in 1861, in the Nineteenth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, Company A, three months troops. In 1862, he re-enlisted in the One Hundred and Twenty-seventh Regiment, Company G, receiving a commission as Second Lieutenant; commissioned First Lieutenant in 1863, and as Captain in 1864; served until the close of the war, being mustered out at Washington, D. C., in 1865. He returned to Chicago and resumed the printing business, and continued in it until 1870, when he settled in Lincoln, Neb., and established his present business. He was married in Ottawa, Ill., June 26, 1865, to Miss Florence A. Brewster, of Ottawa. They have one child Agnes Caroline. Mr. S. is a member of the A., F. & A. M. Lodge, Chapter and Commandery; of G. A. R., Farragut Post, of Lincoln, and of the Temple of Honor. He is one of the charter members of the Union Club.
J. SCHAMP, of Wallingford, Shamp & Co., dealers in agricultural implements, was born in Georgetown, Williams Co., Ohio, May 14, 1847; lived at home, pursuing his studies, until 1862, when he went to South Bend, Ind., where he enlisted the same year in Company H, Twelfth Indiana Cavalry, and served until the close of the war in 1865; was attached to the Army of the Cumberland. He returned to Indiana then, after spending a few months in Ohio. He removed to Nebraska and settled in Lancaster County, in June, 1866, where he took a homestead; continued improving this until about 1876, when he engaged with J. C. Clark, dealer in agricultural implements, and about 1879 went into business for himself, under the firm name of Dawson, Schamp & Co. This continued about eighteen months. He then became connected with the "Utility Works," engaged in manufacturing agricultural implements at the State Penitentiary. He was married in Lancaster County Neb., December 17, 1871, to Miss Jennie Wallingford, of that county. They have four children--Bertwell J., Eliza May, Maud M., Claude. Mr. S. is a member of the Farragut Post, G. A. R.
GEORGE SIEFERT, harness and saddles; business established in 1871. He employs three men, and carries a stock of about $2,000. Mr. S. was born in Saxony, August 24, 1831. He learned the trade of harness-maker in Germany, and in 1851 emigrated to the United States, settling in Baltimore. From there he moved to Racine, Wis.; then to Freeport, Ill.; Dubuque, Iowa, and St. Joseph, Mo.; finally settled, in 1871, in Lincoln, Neb. He was married in Baltimore, Md., June, 1853, to Miss Annie D. Ernst, a native of Germany. They have three children--George W., Emma C., Charles E.
JACOB SIMONSON, M. D., physician and surgeon, was born in Allenstein, Prussia, May 3, 1852. He was educated in France and Switzerland, and engaged in practice for five years. He was assistant surgeon at the University of Geneva, and at Zurich. At the Academy of Francesco Josephine, at Vienna, he received the first microscopic honors in the shape of a gold medal, and also the first honors at Amsterdam. In January, 1881, he came to America and located at St. Louis. He received an honorary degree as M. D. from the St. Louis Medical College, dated March 1, 1882. He came to Lincoln in February, 1882. He makes a specialty of surgery.
GEORGE B. SKINNER, livery and sale stable; business established in 1878, by Mr. S. He keeps on hand eighty to 100 head of horses and mules. Mr. S. was born in Vernon, Tolland Co., Ct., January 3, 1833. In 1854, he settled in St. Joseph, Mo., and engaged in stock dealing. During 1861 and 1862, he had a beef contract for the United States army. In 1863, his health failing, he took a trip to Montana, and returned in the fall of same year to St. Joseph, and was then engaged in freighting to Montana, Salt Lake City, Denver, etc. In 1869, he was appointed by the Governor of Nebraska auctioneer of the town site of Lincoln, the first sale amounting to $172,000. In 1870, he settled in Lincoln, and engaged in stock dealing until he established his present business. He was married in Bentonsport, Iowa, in 1862, to Miss Elizabeth Cameron. Mr. S. was Street Commissioner at St. Joseph, Mo., a number of years, and held the same office at Lincoln during 1873-4-5 and 6. He is a member of the K. of P., and is president of the Red Ribbon Club; was also for several years president of the State Temperance Society of Nebraska.
S. SMEDLEY, locomotive engineer, B. & M. R. R., in Nebraska, was born in Niagara County, N. Y., March 5, 1840. He commenced his railroad life in 1857 in the locomotive department of Michigan Central R. R. He enlisted at Lockport, N. Y., April, 1861, in Company B, Twenty-eighth Regiment New York State Volunteers, Col. Donnelly, and served two years and four months; was Orderly Sergeant when mustered out. In 1864 he engaged in dry-goods business in Jackson, Mich. One year later he entered the service of the Fort Wayne, Jackson & Saginaw R. R., and continued with this road until 1868 when he re-entered the employ of the Michigan Central R. R., and from there he changed to the B. & M. R. R., of Nebraska, in November, 1881. Has had charge of an engine over eight years. He was married in Jackson, Mich., November 12, 1864, to Miss Kent, of that city. They have two children, Edith and Byron.
VAL. J. SMITH, locomotive engineer, B. & M. R. R. in Nebraska, was born in Richmond County, P. Q. Canada, August 24, 1852. He commenced his railroad life in the locomotive department of the B., C. & M. R. R., in New Hampshire, August, 1872. In 1879, he moved to Nebraska and entered the service of the B. & M. R. R. in Nebraska; has had charge of an engine, in all, some seven years. Mr. Smith is a member of the A. F. & A. M. of New Hampshire.
G. A. C. SMITH, architect, came to Lincoln in January, 1878, to take charge of the Government buildings. He was born at New London, N. H., October 26, 1836. When he was thirteen years of age his parents moved to Washington, D. C., his father, Caleb B. Smith, going as Librarian in the State Department. Since 1852 Mr. Smith has been engaged at architectural work. When he was eighteen years old he was engaged in Government service as draughtsman and architect, continuing such down to 1880. Up to 1875 he spent most of his time in Washington, and in that year went to Dover, Del., and put up the post office there. Then he went to Pittsburgh, Pa., and remodeled the old post office. From there he went to Port Huron, Mich., and completed the post office at that point. After that he came here and superintended the completion of the postoffice, having meantime spent ten months at Austin, Tex., on similar business. He was married at Washington, D. C., March 4, 1857, to Eliza Robinson, a native of that city. They have two children, Carrie E. and Katie G. Mr. Smith is a member of K. of H. He belonged to the first battalion which was mustered into service after the first call for troops at Washington, and served three months.
WILLIAM S. SMITH, foreman, State Marble Works, was born August 9, 1827, at Goshen, N. Y., where he was raised, and was educated in Orange County, N. Y. He left school at the age of thirteen and went to work in marble-cutting at different towns in New York and Illinois. In 1861 enlisted in the One Hundred and Seventy-sixth New York Infantry, Company I, under Col. Nutt, and participated in the different battles with his regiment, and was mustered out in New Orleans in 1863, when he went home and worked at his trade for about three years; and from thence to Warwick, Orange Co., N. Y., also to Florida, remaining at each place for about three years. In 1878 came West, and located at Lincoln and worked at his trade for the principal marble yards here, and in 1880 was made foreman of the State Marble Works. Was married in 1869 to Anna M. Godfrey, who was born at Albany. Has eight children--William G., James R., Minnie H., Andrew J., Thomas, George C., Bertie and Godfrey P. Is a member of the I. O. O. F Family all members of the Episcopal Church.
S. SNELL, locomotive engineer B. & M. R. R. in Nebraska. Was born in Plymouth, England, August 28, 1850. In 1855 his parents moved to Canada. The subject of our sketch commenced railroading in 1870 on the Grand Trunk Railroad and in 1875 settled in Jackson, Mich., and entered the service of the Michigan Central Railroad. Came to Nebraska about 1880. Has had charge of an engine since 1876. He was married in Shelby County, Mo., January 10, 1879, to Miss Kate Miller, of that county. They have one child--Charles.
W. H. SNELLING, attorney at law, came to Lincoln in December, 1878, and has practiced here since. He was born in Mercer County, Ky., November 21, 1836. In 1840 his parents removed to Jacksonville, Ill., where he remained until 1868. He then went to Carlinville, living there until he came to Nebraska. He was educated at the Illinois College, and began at reading law at Jacksonville in 1861. In the fall of 1862 he enlisted in Company I, Tenth Illinois Cavalry, and served until April, 1865. He then returned to Jacksonville, and was Deputy United States Assessor for Morgan County from 1866 till the Fall of 1868. He was admitted to the bar in 1871, and practiced at Carlinville until he came here. He was District Attorney while at Carlinville.
JAMES E. SPENCER, conductor C., M. & St. P. R. R. Was born March 26, 1845, at Newport, Herkimer Co., York State. Left there at an early age and went to Freeport, Ill., and availed himself of an education, and in 1860 engaged as conductor with the W. M. R. R. Co., for about eleven years running from Racine, Wis., to Rock Island, Ill. In 1872 he came to Lincoln, and engaged in the hotel business for about three years, being proprietor there of the Metropolitan Hotel, which was considered to be, at that time, the only first-class hotel in the city, after which he engaged in farming, purchasing some 320 acres of land six miles west of Lincoln, in Section 22, Town 11, Range 5; held the same for a few years, raising stock, principally of the graded Short-horn breed; then sold out and went to Omaha and engaged with the U. P. R. R,. Co. as conductor; remained with them for about two years; returned to Lincoln and purchased a five-acre lot, with house and barn, situated about one mile east of post office, and is considered to have one of the prettiest residences with orchard in the city. Was married in 1874 to Miss Mary J. Wilson, of Rock Island, Ill. His wife is a graduate of the college at Davenport, Iowa.
G. C. SPENCER, proprietor of soap factory, came to the United States from England in September, 1871, where he was raised and educated, and in 1872 came to Lincoln, where he established a soap manufacturing business in the south part of the city, and does a large business, his soaps being used principally by all the leading hotels in the county and city.
ROYAL D. STEARNS, attorney at law, was born in Canton, Fulton Co., Ill., June 20, 1850. When quite young he went to LaHarpe, Ill., remaining there, however, but a short time: then removed to Prairie City, Ill., where he remained until he entered Michigan University, at Ann Arbor, in 1872. There he took an optional course, and graduated from the law department, having spent three years in that institution. For about three years he was engaged in the practice of his profession at Chariton, Iowa; and in December, 1878, he came to Lincoln, Neb. He has been associated with Hon. D. G. Hull in law practice since January 1, 1869. He is Deputy Prosecuting Attorney for Lancaster County.
JOHN STABLER, president of the Nebraska Manufacturing Company, was born in Juniata County, Pa., July 5, 1847. His parents moved to Stephenson Co., Ill., about 1850, and from there about 1860 to Green county, Wis. In 1864 they returned to Stephenson County, Ill. In 1863 the subject of this sketch enlisted in the First Regiment Wisconsin Cavalry, and served until mustered out in 1865. He then returned to Stephenson County and engaged in carpentering until 1871, in which year he settled in Seward County, Neb., engaged in farming. In 1875 he removed to Hastings and engaged in dealing in agricultural implements in partnership with Mr. Deisher. In 1881 he removed to Lincoln and entered the present company. He was married in Green County, Wis., November 22, 1866, to Miss Lydia Raymer, of Stephenson County, Ill. They have five children: George, Charles, Katie, Mamie and Edith. Mr. S. is a member of the First Methodist Episcopal Church; I. O. O. F., Subordinate Lodge and Encampment, and of the G. A. R.
C. D. STOUT, superintendent of the brick department of the State Penitentiary. He employs in his department about thirty-five men. The product for the season of 1881 was 2,200,000 brick, and is constantly increasing. Mr. Stout was born in Adams County, Ohio, May 27, 1857. He engaged in farming principally until he moved to Lincoln, Neb., in 1879. He entered the service of W. H. B. Stout as guard at the Penitentiary; afterward assistant superintendent of the brick department, and was appointed to his present position in 1881. He was married in Portsmouth, Ohio, March 30, 1881, to Miss Annie B. Tynes, of Portsmouth, a native of Barbadoes, West India Islands.
W. H. B. STOUT, lessee State Penitentiary, has under his control the entire establishment. He operates himself the stone and brick department and the farm, sub-lets labor to the various manufacturing industries in the institution. He has extensive stone quarries located at Cedar Creek, South Bend, Louisville and Fort Collins, Colorado, and employs in all some 500 men. He is now engaged in building the State Capitol, on which he employs both free and convict labor, principally the former. He also built the new depot of the B. & M. R. R. at Lincoln, Lancaster County Jail and United State Postoffice and court house. Mr. S. is a native of Rome, Adams Co., Ohio, where he was born February 19, 1837. His parents, John Kelley and Frances P. Drennan Stout were old residents of that county. The subject of this sketch was brought up on a farm, and in 1858 moved to Nebraska, and settled in De Soto, Washington Co., where he engaged in farming for a time. Then he engaged in real estate business and afterward in contracting. In 1862 he enlisted in the Second Regiment Nebraska Cavalry nine months troops. In June, 1863, he was commissioned Second Lieutenant in the First Battalion Black Horse Cavalry, which was in 1864 re-organized as the First Nebraska Veteran Mounted Infantry, in which he held a commission as First Lieutenant, though having command of a company. At the close of the war he returned to Washington County, and resumed his business. In 1868 he was elected a member of the First State Legislature. He took the contract to build the State Penitentiary in 1870 and in 1871 removed to Lincoln from Blair, Neb. He was married in De Soto, Washington Co., Neb., December 31, 1861, to Miss Laura A. Glover, youngest daughter of Dr. John A. Glover, at one time a prominent citizen of Ohio, holding the position of State Senator for two years. The have four children--Harrison Bennett, John Kelley, Francis Eliza, Elisha Pinkney. He is a member of the A., F. & A. M.
JAMES STRAHAN, locomotive engineer, employed by the B. & M. R. R., was born in Union County, Pa., February 7, 1846. His parents moved from there to Wyandotte, Kan., in 1863. In the fall of 1867 he moved to Litchfield, Montgomery Co., Ill., where he commenced his railroad life on the Indiana & St. Louis Railroad. Moved to Kansas in 1869 and engaged on the M. P. R. R. In the fall of 1870 he engaged with the Atchison & Nebraska, now a leased line of the B. & M. R. R. Has been in charge of one engine, No. 55 for eleven years. He is now a resident of Atchison, Kan. He was married in Hillsboro, Montgomery Co., Ill., January 4, 1872, to Miss M. E. Canipe, of Hillsboro. They have three children--Winona, Fred and Ray. Mr. S. is a member of the A., F. & A. M., I. O. O. F. and the B. of L. E.
PROF. C. E. STRASSBURGER, proprietor Lincoln Electro Magnetic Mineral Water Cure Institution. Business established in 1878 by Professor S. Baths are furnished of all kinds, the mineral water used being obtained from the artesian well in Government Square. Professor Strassburger was born in Dresden, Saxony, September 8, 1845. Received his education at the "Clinic" in Dresden. After graduating he operated Water Cure Institutions at Radeberg, Dresden and Berlin. Came to the United States in 1870 and located in New York City, where he established a Water Cure; three years later he moved to Chicago, from there to St. Louis, and then returned to Chicago. Operated in both cities. From Chicago he moved to Nebraska in 1878. He was married in Dresden, June 21, 1870, to Miss Henrietta Mantz, of that city. Prof. S. is a member of the German Lutheran church, and of the A., F. & A. M. and I. O. O. F. Is also a member of the Lincoln Sportsman Club, Lancaster County Sportsman's Club, German Rifle Club and the German "Mænnerchor."
J. W. STRICKLAND, flour and feed; in business since 1874; succeeded Johns & Bellows; has a mill at Raymond, Neb., with four run of stones, and a daily capacity of eighty barrels. Mr. S. was born in Bellefontaine, Ohio, April 16, 1837. He graduated from the Ohio Wesleyan University in 1858, and then commenced the study of medicine at the Columbia Medical College, Washington, D. C.; graduated in 1861; was then for a time private secretary to the Congressman from his district in Ohio; afterward moved to Illinois and engaged in the practice of medicine. In 1869, he moved to Nebraska, settled in Lincoln, and engaged in the practice of his profession until he commenced the present business. He was married in Charlestown, Ill., October 7, 1861, to Miss Anna Hevel. They have one son, Charles O. Mr. S. is a member of the State Medical Society.