Physical Character | Early Settlement | Indian Troubles|
County Organization | Official Roster | County Statistics|
Railroads | District Schools | Taxation
County Poor Department | County Societies
Lincoln: Early History | Incorporation | Official Roster|
City Institutions | Post Office
Lincoln (cont.): University of Nebraska|
Lincoln (cont.): University of Nebraska (cont.)|
Lincoln (cont.): Insane Hospital|
Nebraska State Penitentiary | The Second Revolt
Lincoln (cont.): Public Schools | Fire Department|
The Press | Churches
Lincoln (cont.): Societies, Associations, Etc.|
Temperance Societies | Musical Societies
Business Interests | Banks | Hotels
Lincoln (cont.): |
Wholesale and Manufacturing Establishments
Biographical Sketches- ABBOTT~ALLEN
10 - 24:
** Lincoln Biographical Sketches ** (cont.)|
| ALFORD~BONNELL | BOHANON~CARR |
| CARTER~CUMMINGS | DAILEY~FEDEWA |
| FULLER~GRIMM | GULICK~HOGE |
| HOLMES~KEELER | KELLY~McCONNIFF |
| McCORD~NANCE | NEWMAN~PHILLIPS |
| PHILPOTT~RANDLE | RAYMOND~SCOTT |
| SEATON~STRICKLAND | SWAN~WALSH |
| WEBER~WUNDERLICH |
Bennet: Churches | Societies ||
| Biographical Sketches - ALLSTOT~GRIBLING
Bennett: Biographical Sketches - HANSON~PIPER|
Bennett: Biographical Sketches - RHEA~WILSON|
Waverly: Biographical Sketches|
Firth: Biographical Sketches|
Roca | Other Points
Grant Precinct | Saltillo Precinct | Stockton Precinct
List of Illustrations in Lancaster County Chapter
(DAILEY thru FEDEWA)
MICHAEL DAILEY, detective, was born in July, 1845, at Troy, N. Y., and at an early age came with his parents to Omaha, where he remained until he was about fourteen years of age. Then went to Arizona and was employed in the express business; remained there for three years. Returned to Omaha and went to Colorado and engaged in the mail business, carrying the mail for the miners to and from Black Hawk Station. Then engaged with Wells & Fargo, driving stage for them for about two years. In 1862 returned to Omaha and enlisted in the Second Nebraska Cavalry, Company D, under Col. Burner and Capt. Edwards, and was mustered out in 1863 at Omaha. Then re-enlisted, and was sent to the frontier scouting; and then was transferred to Mexico, and in July, 1867, was discharged at Matamoras, Mexico. In 1869 went to Oregon; from thence to Cheyenne, and through the Black Hills scouting. In 1870 went to Dakota, and from thence to Montana, in the stock business. In July, 1881, came to Lincoln and established himself as a detective. Was married in February, 1881, to Mrs. M. O. Davis, of Seward County of this State. Both members of the Catholic Church. He is a member of the G. A. R., Farragut Post No. 25, and member of the United Sons of Erin.
T. B. DAWSON, sewing machines; represents the Davis and the Household. Business established about three years. Mr. D. was born in Beaver County, Pa., August 1, 1837. In 1861 he enlisted in the One Hundred and First Pennsylvania Volunteers, Company F; was commissioned First Lieutenant in 1863, and the next month received a commission as Captain; served until mustered out in 1865. He was taken prisoner at Plymouth, N. C., and lived at Macon, Ga., about three months and was then sent to Charleston, S. C., and placed in the city during the bombardment. He returned to Pennsylvania, and about 1869 moved to Chicago, and from there moved to Lincoln, Neb., in 1871, and engaged in the sale of agricultural implements until June, 1881, then sold out. He was married in Chicago in March, 1870, to Miss Miller, of Chicago. They have one child, Frederick. Mr. M. is a member of the I. O. O. F. Lodge and Encampment, is C. P. of the latter; of the Good Templars, being now Treasurer of the Grand Lodge; also of the G. A. R.
W. H. DANIELS, carpenter and builder, was born the 9th of March 1847, at Nashville, Iowa, and went with his parents to Missouri, where he availed himself of an education as he best could. Then returned to Iowa, and worked as an apprentice to the carpenter and joiner trade for about four years. Then went to Colorado, Arizona and Dakota, working at his trade at each place, and in 1861 enlisted as private in Company C, First Regiment Iowa Greys, and re-enlisted in Company A, of the Ninth Iowa Cavalry, under Col. C. L. Trumbull, and participated in all the battles with his regiment, and was mustered out in February, 1866, in Little Rock, Ark. During active service Mr. D. was wounded at three different times, each time being sent to the hospital. In 1866 returned to the mountains, and was employed by the government driving the mail coach from Fort Smith to Fort Washataw, Colorado, and Horse Shoe Bend to Snake Creek, New Mexico, and in 1875 returned to Iowa and farmed until 1879, wheh he came to Lincoln and engaged in the carpenter and joiner busines. Was married in 1875 to Miss C. Barnell, of Iowa. Have five children, Sadie E., Elizabeth, Nathan, Viola Melissa and Mary M. Mrs. D. carries on a business of carpet weaving, and is considered one of the best weavers in the county, having gained her experience at Laporte, Ind. Mr. D. is a member of G. A. R., Farragut Post, No. 25, as Bugler.
M. R. DAVEY, general superintendent of carpentering department for W. H. B. Stout, was born in St. Lawrence County, N. Y., August 10, 1844. He learned the carpenter trade at home, and in 1863 settled in Washington County, Ill., following his trade. In 1868 he settled in Lincoln, Neb., and engaged in contracting and building. He superintended the carpenter work at the State Insane Asylum, and the State University. In 1880 he accepted his present position. Mr. D. was married in Lincoln, Neb., in January, 1876, to Miss Nannie Hudson, a native of Greene County, Ill. They have one child, Robert B. Mr. D. is a Knight Templar in the Masonic fraternity.
W. L. DAYTON, M. D., oculist and aurist, was born at Princeton, Bureau, Co., Ill., March 22, 1857. He was educated at the Princeton High School, and graduated from the Chicago Medical College in March, 1881, having practiced at Mercy Hospital for a year before graduating, making a special study of diseases of the eye and ear. He commenced practice at Lincoln in the summer of 1881. He is considered an authority on diseases of the eye and ear. He was married at Englewood, Ill., November 24, 1881, to Carrie H. Snyder, a native of Galva, Ill.
W. S. DEISHER, secretary and treasurer of the Nebraska Manufacturing Company, was born in Reading, Berks Co., Pa., March 15, 1851. About 1859 his parents moved to Stephenson County, Ill. He engaged in stock dealing there until 1874, when he moved to Hastings, Neb., and engaged in the real estate and stock business until he formed a partnership with Mr. Stabler, dealing in agricultural implements. Came to Lincoln in 1881, when the present company was formed. He was married in Hutchinson, Reno Co., Kas., September 12, 1877, to Miss Mattie Vanemen, of Hutchinson. They have two children, Maud and Della. Mr. D. is a member of the Presbyterian Church, and of the I. O. O. F. and the Board of Trade.
JOHN DETHLEFS, State Insurance clerk, came to Nebraska in 1875, and located at Grand Island. He served as bookkeeper, in the lumber and grain business for a while, and then entered the County Treasurer's office as Deputy. In 1881 he came to Lincoln and accepted his present position in the State Auditor's office. He was born near Hamburg, Germany, December 16, 1840. In 1860 he came to America, and located in Westchester County, N. Y. Remained there two or three years. He enlisted in Company C, Twentieth New York Volunteer Infantry, in 1861, and served for two years. He was married in New York City, to Eliza Herbeck, a native of New York City. They have three children, Charles, aged eleven, George, aged nine, and Lorey, a daughter, aged three. Mr. D. is a member of the Harmonia Musical Society.
J. W. DEWEESE, attorney at law, came to Lincoln, in March, 1879, and has been associated with T. M. Marquett ever since he came. He was born in Morgan County, Ill., September 10, 1846. When only six months old, he went with his parents to Marion County, Iowa, his father building the first log cabin in Pella. He lived in Jasper and Marion counties until he came to Nebraska. He attended the Central University at Pella, and the law school at Iowa City. In 1868 he was admitted to the bar and commenced practice in Prairie City, where he continued until he came here. He was married at Prairie City, November, 1869, to Rebecca Ryan, a native of Washington County, N. Y. They have three children, Wilford, Lena and Frederick. Mr. D. enlisted as a private, in Company G, Twenty-third Iowa Volunteer Infantry, August 15, 1862, and served until August 15, 1865, being mustered out as Sergeant of Company G. He was in all the engagements of his command, except Fort Esperanza, Texas. He served two terms in the Iowa Legislature, as representative from Jasper County.
CALEB J. DILWORTH, Attorney General of Nebraska, came to Nebraska in December, 1870, and located in Lincoln, where he engaged in practice until 1873. In that year he went to Plum Creek, Dawson Co., Neb., where he has since lived. He was District Attorney of the Fifth Judicial District, from 1873 to 1879, and served three years as County Commissioner. He was elected Attorney General in the fall of 1878, and re-elected in 1880. He is a native of Mount Pleasant, Jefferson Co., Ohio, where he was born April 27, 1830. Received his education in Illinois, and read law and was admitted to practice in 1850, in Havana, Mason Co. He enlisted in June, 1862, as Lieutenant Colonel of the Eighty-fifth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and was promoted to Colonel in June, 1863. Brevetted Brigadeer General March 4, 1865, was mustered out July, 1865. He served with his command in all its battles. He commanded the Third Brigade, Second Division, Fourteenth Army Corps. In the fall of 1864 he was wounded at Jonesboro, and disabled for about thirty days. After that he was assigned the command of a brigade at Chattanooga, until March, 1865, when he took command of the post of Covington, Ky., remaining until the close of the war. On returning home he located in Lewiston, Fulton Co., Ill., where he stayed until he moved to Nebraska. Before the war he was prosecuting attorney in Mason County, Ill. He is also engaged in cattle raising, having now about 500 head of cattle and 50 head of horses. He was married in Lewiston, Fulton Co., Ill., November 25, 1853, to Emily Phelps, a native of Missouri. They have one child, William A., who resides in Kearney, and is engaged in practice there.
O. P. DINGES, drayman and transferer of freight, was born May 12, 1844, in Centre County, Pa., where he was raised and partially educated, and in 1854, came to Stephenson County, Ill., with his parents, working on a farm in the summer time, and attending school in the winter. In 1865 he engaged in railroading for about two years, then went to Wisconsin, and engaged in the lumber business, taking contracts for floating timber down the rivers to St. Louis. In 1872 he returned to Stephenson County, Ill., and engaged in farming and in 1874 came to Lincoln. In 1875 he commenced the drayage business, with one team and wagon, since which time his business has been steadily increasing, and now owns some six double and one single team, and is considered to be one of the most reliable draymen in the city. Was married in 1874 to Alice E. Preston, of York State; they have two children, Rupert and Winnie. Is a member of the A., F. & A. M., Lincoln Lodge, No. 19. Also member of the I. O. O. F., Winnishiek Lodge, No. 30 as P. G.; also to the Western Star Encampment, and member of the Temple of Honor. Also member of Harlem Centre Grange, No. 60, to which his wife also belongs.
[Portrait of John Doolittle.]
JOHN DOOLITTLE, lumber merchant, came to Nebraska, in December, 1876, and has since been engaged in the lumber business, also extensively engaged in farming and stock raising, since June, 1878, he has run a farm. He is President of the City Council, serving his second term as Alderman from the Third Ward. He was born at Sheffield, Berkshire Co., Mass., and lived in that county until 1862, when he enlisted in Company F, forty-ninth Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry. He was mustered out in September, 1863, as Second Lieutenant, it being a nine months' regiment. He spent two years at Newbern, N. C., and in 1865, returned to his native county, staying there a year or two. He then went to New York City and engaged in the tobacco business at 85 Wall street, remaining there until he came to Lincoln. He is a member of the A., F. & A. M., G. A. R., and of the Union Club. He was also elected Mayor of the City.
S. J. DOBSON, president Lincoln Tannery Company, was born in Upper Canada, May 8, 1842. His parents moved to Wisconsin about 1844, and settled in Grant County. They returned to Canada for a time, and finally settled in Lafayette County, Wis. In 1864 the subject of this sketch enlisted in Company G., Forty-sixth Regiment, Wisconsin Volunteers, and was mustered out in 1865. He returned to Wisconsin, and in 1872 moved to Nebraska with his parents, located in Lincoln, and engaged in broom manufacturing, under firm name of Dobson & Son, and continued in this until present business was established. Mr. D. is a member of the G. A. R.
DOBSON & CAMPBELL, contractors and builders. Mr. D. was born March 5, 1837, in Coburg, Canada, and came to the United States in 1845, with his parents and located in Grant County, Wis., where he served his apprenticeship in the carriage business for three years, and afterwards carried on business on his own account in Darlington, Lafayette County, until the war broke out, and in 1862, enlisted as a private in the Twenty-third Wisconsin Infantry, Company B. Col. Guppy, participated in twenty-one battles with his regiment, viz: Siege of Vicksburg, Port Gibson, Raymond, Jackson, and others. He was mustered out in July, 1865, at Mobile, and was discharged at Madison, Wis., in the fall of 1865, went to Monroe, Green County, and engaged in the carriage business for about three years, and from there went to Port Hope, Canada, and carried on the broom business there in connection with his father for about four years, and in 1872 returned to the United States and located at Lincoln, Neb., working at the carpenter trade by the day, and in 1874, opened the business with Mr. W. H. Campbell, who was born in Onandaga county, N. Y., and after leaving school was apprenticed to his father; he then went to Syracuse, N. Y., contracting and building. He was married in 1866, to Miss F. Weygant, who was born in Cortland County, and located here in 1872, working at his trade until 1874, when he entered into partnership with W. H. Dobson. They contracted for the carpenter work and built the State Prison, the B. & M. Depot, and City Block, and a block of buildings on P. street, and several dwelling houses, and are considered to be one of the most prominent firms in that line of business in Lincoln. Mr. D. was married in May, 1861, to Harriet Richards, in Grant County, Wis., who was born in 1839, in same county. They have three children, Alice, Grace and Ruth. He belongs to the I. O. O. F., is Past Chief Patriarch and Noble Grand Saline Encampment No. 5, Capitol Lodge No. 11, and been a member for twenty-two years, also a member of the G. A. R., as high private Farragut Post No. 25.
T. B. DORAN, dairyman, was born at Utica, N. Y., 1850, and came to Warren County, Ill., with his parents, farming for about five years, and in the fall of 1863, went to Muscatine, Iowa, farming about eighteen years, and in March, 1881, located here and engaged in the dairy business, and has now some thirty-six head of milch cows, mostly graded stock, averaging some thirty-five gallons of milk per day. Was married January 1, 1878, to Miss Maggie Preston, who was born in Illinois. Has two children, Estala and Bernard James. Both members of the Catholic Church.
WM. DORSEY, contractor and builder, was born in Franklin County, Ind., in 1815, located here in the spring of 1878. Previous to coming here was at Lawrenceburg, Ind., for about three years, when he assisted to build the first State Bank, then went to Dillsboro, and Rising Sun, for a few months, and in the spring of 1850, went to California, mining for about seven months. Returned to Indiana and there engaged in contracting and building and in the spring of 1857, came to Nebraska City, and the following year located here, and superintended the building of the west wing of the capitol, and contracted for and built the Arlington Hotel, and several other dwellings. Was married in the fall of September, 1837, to Miss Loes Wynand, who was born in the County of Cornwall, Landolph Parish, England, in 1817, and came to America with her parents in 1829. Have seven children living, Mary, now Mrs. Sanford, Endora, now Mrs. S. E. Harris, Anna, now Mrs. Harvey, Samuel C., Adeline A., now Mrs. Slaughter, William and George deceased. Also twenty-four grandchildren living. In the fall of 1838, Mr. Dorsey was associated with the first Anti Slavery Society ever formed in Indiana, and was one of seven men that cast the first free soil vote in that State. Belongs to the Ancient Order of Free Masons, Hopeville Lodge and Central Lodge, Indianapolis, and Western Star Lodge of Nebraska. Both members of the Congregational Church.
M. L. EASTERDAY, attorney and money loaner, came to Lincoln July 26, 1876, and has practiced here since. He was first in the office of Lamb, Billingsby & Lambertson. He was born in Jefferson County, Ohio, February 9, 1849. When three years old his parents removed to Montgomery County, Ill., where he lived until 1873, when he went to Watertown, Wis. In the spring of 1874 he went to Sault de Ste. Marie, Mich., spending two summers there. He graduated from the Law Department of the Michigan University in 1876. He is a member of the Lincoln Y. M. C. A., and was treasurer of that society for three or four years.
WEBSTER EATON, journalist, came to Nebraska in 1872, and commenced the publication of the Kearney Daily Press. Lived there until 1875 and was appointed Register of the United States Land Office, at Bloomington, Neb. He held that position three years. He came to Lincoln in May, 1880. From June, 1880, until July, 1881, he ran the Lincoln Globe. In the latter year he engaged with O. V. Eaton, in the manufacture of pottery. They make all kinds of stone ware, tiles, sewer pipes, etc. Sixteen hands are employed in the works. They have a manufacturing capacity of 1,000 gallons a day. He is a native of Brighton, Monroe Co., N. Y., having been born December 5, 1839. He enlisted in December, 1861, in the First New York Light Artillery and served three years. Served in twenty-three battles. Returned to New York at the close of the war and came to Iowa in 1866. Was Assistant Postmaster of the House of Representatives at Washington, established the Red Oak Express at Red Oak, and conducted it until he went to Kearney; also established the Adams County Gazette at Corning, Iowa. Both these papers are now running. He has recently accepted a position in the money order department of the Post-office.
J. C. ELDREDGE, livery and sale stable, commenced business in 1881, succeeding H. Perkins. Mr. Eldredge was born in Schoharie County, N. Y., in 1830. About 1855 he moved to Plano, Ill., and from there moved to Nebraska in 1876, located in Fillmore County, moved to Lincoln in 1881. Mr. Eldredge was married in Plano, Ill., December 2, 1856, to Miss Mary J. Henning, of Plano. They have two children, Cora B., now Mrs. Searles, of Lincoln, and Delmer C.
HARRINGTON EMERSON, professor of modern languages in the Nebraska State University, was born in Trenton, N. J., August 2, 1853. He was the eldest son of Edwin Emerson, of New York, eldest son of James Emerson, who came from Great Britain about the year 1808. His mother, Mary L. Ingham, was the youngest daughter of Samuel D. Ingham and was born in Washington, D. C., when her father was Secretary of the Treasury, under Jackson. Edwin Emerson, a graduate of Princeton College and of the Princeton Theological Seminary, settled in Greencastle, Penn., in 1852, as the Pastor of the Presbyterian Church. In 1860 he was called to the chairs of mental and moral philosophy and English literature, in the Troy University, N. Y. His health failed soon after and receiving leave of absence from the trustees he removed with his family to Europe for the better education of his children. The subject of this sketch then nine years old was placed in a Paris day school, which he attended for four years, his vacations being spent in travel. In 1867 he entered the military school of the Moravian Brotherhood, at Neuwied, on the Rhine. This is perhaps the strictest school in Europe. At the end of eighteen months he removed to Dresden and continued his studies under private tutors till the year 1871, when after having spent a year in traveling, visiting Italy and the Levant, he entered the mechanical engineering course of the Polytechnic School in Munich, continuing, however, linguistic studies, completing three full years in the Polytechnic, he devoted the last year of his stay abroad entirely to literary studies, spending six months in Italy and the winter in Greece. On May 30, 1876, he reached the United States and three weeks later was appointed instructor in modern languages in the State University of Nebraska. At the end of the first year he was promoted to the full professorship. He was married in Omaha, Neb., June 24, 1879, to Miss Florence Brooks, of Omaha, only daughter of D. C. Brooks. They have one son, Raffe Floresstan, born November 3, 1880. In the University Prof. Emerson has been prominently identified with the party of progress, who advocate a high standard of scholarship, improved methods of teaching and an unsectarian and civil system of government, as opposed to the conservative party composed of the older professors, who oppose all change and advocate a sectarian and parental system of government.
GRANVILLE ENSIGN, Sheriff of Lancaster County, came to Lincoln on February 19, 1870. In March, 1870 he commenced the livery business and has carried it on ever since. One year he ran the Clifton House. He was elected Sheriff in the fall of 1879 and re-elected in 1881. He was born near Fredonia, Chautauqua Co., N. Y., December 30, 1835, and lived there until he was fourteen years old. Then he went to Michigan, where he lived four years, moving thence to Iowa, where he lived in Jones and Dubuque counties until he went to California in 1860. He went there with a four horse train and returned in December, 1861, by steamer. Enlisted in Company E, Fifth Iowa Cavalry in February, 1864, and served until June, 1865. He was engaged in the hotel business in Iowa for three years before coming to Lincoln and had a small livery attached thereto. He was married at Wyoming, Iowa, in 1855, to Elizabeth A. Eastman, a native of Ohio. They have two children, Herbert Archie and Forest Watts. Mr. Ensign is a member of G. A. R., I. O. O. F. and T. of H. He is also engaged in farming and railroad contracting, in partnership with C. C. Bills, who is now building a portion of the Missouri Pacific line in Nebraska.
C. J. ERNST, cashier of the B. & M. R. R., land department, was born in Goerlitz, Prussia, September 12, 1854. He received his education in the old country and came to the United States in 1868 with his parents and settled in Nebraska City, Neb., where he engaged in clerking until 1876 when he moved to Lincoln and entered the land department of the B. & M. R. R., was appointed to his present position, October, 1880. He was married in Nebraska City, Neb., February 26, 1876, to Miss Marie Weber, a native of Dresden, Germany. They have one child, Gertrude. Mr. Ernst is a member of the Evangelical Lutheran Church.
EDMUND BURKE FAIRFIELD, S. T. D., LL. D., Chancellor of the University of Nebraska, was born in Parkersburg, W. Va., August 7, 1821. His father was a slave-holder, but when he removed his family to Troy, Miami Co., Ohio, put in force a private proclamation of emancipation. At eight years of age the son, Edmund, commenced setting type in his father's printing office, attending school and acquiring a valuable trade, at the same time, until he was fifteen. Being sufficiently advanced at this early age, he entered Denison University, Granville, and in 1837 Marietta College. Three years later he became a student at Oberlin College, from which institution he graduated in 1842, and was soon afterwards appointed tutor of Latin and Greek. His energy of character was not satisfied merely with this occupation, but while teaching he also studied theology for three years. After spending two years in the ministry in New Hampshire, and two in Boston as Pastor of the Ruggles Street Baptist Church, Mr. Fairfield accepted a call, in 1848, to the Presidency of the Michigan Central College. The name of the institution was, in the course of seven years, changed to Hillsdale College, and it is the best possible evidence of Professor Fairfield's stability and ability of character that for twenty-one years--until 1869--he continued to retain the presidency. In the meantime, however, political and educational honors had fallen thickly upon him. During the years 1857-61 he was called by the State to assume the duties of Senator and Lieutenant-Governor, and made a wide reputation by his powerful speech on the Prohibition of Slavery in the Territories. It is said that 50,000 copies of it were published and put in circulation. In 1857, Chancellor Fairfield received from Madison University, New York, the honorary degree of LL. D., and in 1863 the Indiana University conferred the degree of D.D., upon him. From Denison University, Ohio, came the degree S. T. D. In 1863-64 Chancellor Fairfield spent ten months in an extended tour through Europe and the East. With his usual genius of improving his time to the fullest extent this trip laid the ground-work for a series of lectures which he delivered in fifteen States and which gave him an extended and enviable reputation. His lecture tour extended through Providence, Lowell, Lawrence, Concord and other leading cities in New England, New York State, Ohio, Indiana and Illinois. Among other topics which the lecturer treated so ably were: "Thirty-three Days in Rome," "Tent Life in Palestine" and other descriptives, in which he has few rivals. In the anti-slavery and war campaign he took a prominent part in Michigan, Ohio and Indiana. In the pure field of literature, in the treatment of such subjects as "Radicalism," "Labor and Learning," etc., he has few equals on the lecture platform. Both as a lecturer and an educator Chancellor Fairfield has made his mark. During his twenty-one years as President of Hillsdale College his departments of instruction were ancient languages and mathematics, besides these which he fills at the University of Nebraska, viz.: mental, moral and political philosophy. After resigning the presidency of Hillsdale College he spent seven years in Mansfield, Ohio, and in Western Pennsylvania. In 1876 he was elected Chancellor of the University of Nebraska. For this position he was recommended, in the strongest terms by United States Senator Zach Chandler and Thomas W. Perry--by all those who had been Superintendents of Public Instruction in Michigan for fifteen years, by the Governors of the State who had served for twelve years, by Professors Olney and Boise, of the Michigan and Chicago Universities, by the presidents of ten colleges in Ohio, Indiana, Illinois and Michigan, by Governor Cox, of Ohio, and by a score of others distinguished throughout the country in literature and authorship. All of them had been old and familiar acquaintances. The strongest of these recommendations were from those who had been for twenty years trustees of Hillsdale College during his connection with it. Of Chancellor Fairfield's record since his connection with the University of Nebraska too much can not be said, and scores of graduates who have gone out into active life bear abundant and conclusive testimony to his worth and ability.
[Portrait of John Fitzgerald.]
JOHN FITZGERALD, president of the First National Bank and railroad contractor, came to Plattsmouth in 1869 and lived there until 1878, when he moved to Lincoln. Since coming to Nebraska he has engaged in railroad building. He commenced work on the Erie canal in New York State. He has built railroads extensively in the West. The Lincoln and Northwestern, Brownville and Fort Kearney, Atchison and Nebraska, and parts of the B. & M. were laid by him, and he is now building a line from Nemaha City to Tecumseh and a road in Iowa, from Humeston to Shenandoah for the C., B. & Q. and Wabash jointly. He built the B. & M. into Plattsmouth and also the western extension of that road. He succeeded Amasa Cobb as president of the First National Bank. He is a member of the firm of Plummer, Perry & Co., wholesale grocers. He is president of the First National Bank at Plattsmouth. He is also largely interested in farming operations in Nebraska and is engaged in stock raising in Lancaster and Cass counties.
I. A. FEDEWA, proprietor of the National Hotel, under present management, about seven years. There are eighteen bed rooms--accommodation for thirty-six guests. Mr. Fedewa was born in Prussia, April 5, 1827. Came to the United States in 1842. Located in Clinton County, Mich., about 1858. Moved to St. Paul, Minn., and from there went south and returned just before the war opened. In 1863 he enlisted in the Fourteenth Regiment Ohio Volunteers, Company H, and served until the close of the war. On his return he spent some time in Dakota Territory at different forts and in 1869 finally settled in Lincoln, Neb., and engaged in hotel-keeping. He was married in Clinton County, Mich., to Miss Synold, of Clinton County. She died, leaving four children, Lorinda, Minnie, John and Milton. He married his present wife, formerly Miss Curran, at Lincoln in August, 1873. They have four children, Lillie M., Flora B., Florence D. and Jay Gould. Mr. F. is a member of the I. O. O. F. and of the A., F. & A. M.