Physical Character | Early Settlement | Indian Troubles|
County Organization | Official Roster | County Statistics|
Railroads | District Schools | Taxation
County Poor Department | County Societies
Lincoln: Early History | Incorporation | Official Roster|
City Institutions | Post Office
Lincoln (cont.): University of Nebraska|
Lincoln (cont.): University of Nebraska (cont.)|
Lincoln (cont.): Insane Hospital|
Nebraska State Penitentiary | The Second Revolt
Lincoln (cont.): Public Schools | Fire Department|
The Press | Churches
Lincoln (cont.): Societies, Associations, Etc.|
Temperance Societies | Musical Societies
Business Interests | Banks | Hotels
Lincoln (cont.): |
Wholesale and Manufacturing Establishments
Biographical Sketches- ABBOTT~ALLEN
10 - 24:
** Lincoln Biographical Sketches ** (cont.)|
| ALFORD~BONNELL | BOHANON~CARR |
| CARTER~CUMMINGS | DAILEY~FEDEWA |
| FULLER~GRIMM | GULICK~HOGE |
| HOLMES~KEELER | KELLY~McCONNIFF |
| McCORD~NANCE | NEWMAN~PHILLIPS |
| PHILPOTT~RANDLE | RAYMOND~SCOTT |
| SEATON~STRICKLAND | SWAN~WALSH |
| WEBER~WUNDERLICH |
Bennet: Churches | Societies ||
| Biographical Sketches - ALLSTOT~GRIBLING
Bennett: Biographical Sketches - HANSON~PIPER|
Bennett: Biographical Sketches - RHEA~WILSON|
Waverly: Biographical Sketches|
Firth: Biographical Sketches|
Roca | Other Points
Grant Precinct | Saltillo Precinct | Stockton Precinct
List of Illustrations in Lancaster County Chapter
The Woodlawn and Capital Mills, south of Lincoln, are owned and operated by Kendall & Smith, the former having a capacity of 150 barrels and the latter of 200 barrels per day. S. W. Little & Co. operate mills between Fifth and Sixth streets, which turn out seventy barrels of flour daily. They have a storage capacity of 25,000 bushels. The company was formed in 1878. T. W. Lowery's mills are situated on the northwest corner of Seventh and K streets. Capacity 100 barrels of flour per day. The elevator has a storage capacity of 5,000 bushels. The Crabb Mills, situated two miles southwest of Lincoln, are also turning out good grades and doing a brisk business. Col. Crabb, of New York, is the owner. Neuman and Thackara formed a partnership in 1880, and are now operating a flour mill and elevator. The mill has a capacity of twenty-five bushels per hour. J. W. Strickland, dealer in flour and feed, has a mill at Raymond of four run of stone.
The Nebraska Manufacturing Company was established in October, 1881; capital stock $100,000. John Stabler is president, and W. S. Deisher, secretary and treasurer. The paid up capital amounts to $25,000. The company manufactures "Advance" harrows, Maxon water elevator windmills, Defoe sulky hay rakes, and a superior variety of corn sheller. At present convict labor is employed entirely.
An enterprise which bids fair to become a splendidly paying investment, is the tannery which was put in operation a short time ago on West O street. A stock company was formed consisting of S. J. Dobson, President; J. A. Buckstaff, treasurer; and E. A. Morgan, secretary. Mr. Dobson is the patentee of a new process of tanning, which, when his rights have been fully protected, it is the intention of the company to introduce into the larger cities throughout the country. The capital stock of the company is $50,000, and such is the rapidity with which hides can be tanned under the new process, that the capacity of the tannery is estimated at 18,000 hides per annum.
The Antelope brewery is situated one mile east of the city, and is operated by John Fitzgerald and A. Butcher. The partnership was formed over two years ago, the original brewery having been erected a few years previously. It has a capacity of about 3,000 barrels of beer per annum. Connected with it is an ice house and a malt house.
At this point it may not be out of place to mention the fact that the ice business is represented by P. H. Cooper and Carothers & Vanderpool, whose houses are situated on Oak Creek.
Among the leading industries of Lincoln is the pork-packing establishment of Mitchell & Co., the members of the firm being R. H. Mitchell and Henry Brinkworth. They established business last year and during the season of 1881, killed and packed about 10,000 hogs. Their packing house is situated a mile and one quarter northeast of Lincoln.
Quite a business is being built up in the manufactory of iron. Seaton & Lee's iron works, a branch of the Atchison company, were established here last year and employ about thirty men. The Lincoln Iron Works were established by J. W. Hedges in 1873. They were burned in January, 1880, and others established which are now known as the Capital Iron Works. J. Roberts has also a machine shop, established in 1878. Others are doing a good business in the same line of general machine work, boiler repairing, etc.
Several marble and stone cutting yards do a profitable business. The State Marble Works (A. Heater) were established in 1876; the Lincoln Marble Works, Anson & A. H. Brown, established in 1875; and the Old Reliable Works by C. B. Parker & Co., in 1876. Keys & Bullock do an extensive business in the stone cutting, having valuable quarries at Roca. They established this business in 1876. In 1879 they put in operation a small planing mill. West of Lincoln is the brick yard of L. K. Holmes, who employs from forty to fifty men and manufactures about 5,000,000 brick per annum. He commenced business in 1870.
The Sandwich Manufacturing Company, represented in Nebraska by E. A. White, is an outgrowth of the agricultural implement factory of A. Adams & Son, founded at Sandwich, Ill., in 1857. At first their trade was limited to the surrounding country, but as the corn growing area widened, the demand for the Adams' Patent Self Feeding Corn Shellers increased. The business prospered until 1864, when a disastrous fire destroyed all their main buildings, machines and machinery. They, however, rebuilt at once. In 1867, the business had grown to such mammoth proportions that a stock company was formed under the present title, with A. Adams, president; J. P. Adams, secretary and treasurer; and Henry A. Adams, superintendent of the mechanical department. Four years later Mr. W. L. Simmons succeeded to the presidency, and still retains it.
The works of the company include a wood-working shop, 48x210, two stories; machine shop, 60x60, three stories; foundry, 54x140, one and two story; store room, 66x100, one story; office, 26x60, two stories; paint shop, 24x50, three stories; iron and store room, 26x60, one story, besides smaller buildings.
The company now has branch houses at Lincoln, Neb., and Kansas City, Mo., with distributing houses at St. Paul, Owatonna, Le Mars, St. Louis, Indianapolis and Tiffin, Ohio. The company ship goods to Asia, Australia, New Zealand and almost all European ports. They manufacture the Comet, Veteran, and Young Samson shellers, and the Adams & French riding harvester.
Eaton Brothers, pottery manufacturers, stone ware, tiles, sewer pipe, etc., employing sixteen hands and having a daily capacity of 1,000 gallons.
The manufacture of cigars plays no unimportant part in the business life of Lincoln. Woltemade & Wolf, for instance, who commenced business in 1876, employ fourteen men and manufacture 500,000 cigars annually. W. Devereaux is another large house which has been established for twelve years.
A. Small & Son started a creamery in 1881 and run a farm in connection with it which is located at Yankee Hill. Messrs. Hawley & Culbertson are about to establish a sorghum factory. In addition, there are two soap factories--one in South Lincoln, managed by G. C. Spencer, and the other east of the city, operated by Sargent, Eldredge & Co.
Among the leading wholesale houses and manufactories in other lines may be mentioned P. W. O'Connor, carriage manufacturer, who commenced business in 1875; George E. Fisher, wholesale dealer in hides and leather, established in 1879; Wittmann Brothers, who commenced business in 1871, their line being now wholesale saddlery and hardware. Winger & Miller, wholesale notions, established in 1882, and H. C. Martin & Co., in the same business since 1877. C. H. Day, wholesale and retail jewelry. Hargreaves Bros. wholesale dealers in fancy groceries and fruits, the business being established by A. E. Hargreaves in 1872. E. A. Church & Co., wholesale dealers in wall paper, paints, oils, etc., established in 1868. Lau & Co., commenced the fruit and confectionery business and the manufacture of soda water in April, 1870, and have ever since continued it, increasing their trade so rapidly that in 1871 they began wholesaling. The first year they did a business of from $8,000 to $10,000. In 1881 they did a business of $250,000. Their business now includes the manufacture of soda and mineral waters, dealers in fancy groceries, fruits, etc. Their sales are exclusively in Nebraska. They employ in the various departments of their business fifteen men, including the partners. The firm is composed of H. P. Lau and Theo. Tychsen.
Jansen Bros. & Co., wholesale and retail dealers in furniture, established business in Lincoln in July, 1879. They deal in furniture, having a manufactory at Quincy, Ill., where they employ from 150 to 160 men. They do a wholesale and retail business, issue a fine illustrated catalogue and have a traveling salesman who sells in the South Platte country. Their Lincoln store at first was only 24x60, but it is now 25x140, three stories and basement and crowded at that, having goods stored in three warehouses in the city. They expect to do a business of $75,000 during 1882. They did about $18,000 worth the first year. The stock they carry is worth from $25,000 to $30,000. The firm consists of C. C. & F. G. Jansen, both of Quincy, and W. H. Alexander, the resident manager, who opened the store here. To Mr. Alexander is due chiefly the credit for the admirable business built up. The firm has a wholesale store located at the corner of Wabash avenue and Van Buren street, Chicago, which has been running two years. They also have a branch house in Sherman, Texas. The firm does an annual aggregate business of $50,000.
Raymond Brothers, wholesale grocers, commenced business January 11, 1872. The firm was composed originally of Isaac M. and Aaron S. Raymond, and continued without change down to January 11, 1882, when T. F. Lasch and George H. Clarke, former employes of the firm, were admitted to partnership under the present firm name of Raymond Bros. & Co. The first year's business amounted to $110,000. In 1881, they did a business of about $750,000. They give employment to about twenty employes in their various departments. They have four traveling salesman and one city salesman. The first year their sales were made by their bookkeeper, who went out for about ten days and then returned and wrote up his books. Their sales are principally in Nebraska and Northwestern Kansas.
Plummer, Perry & Co., wholesale grocers, commenced business in September, 1879. Since the start the business has largely increased, being more than double what it was the first year. Their business is chiefly in the South Platte region, with some trade in Kansas and Colorado. The firm is composed of Eli Plummer, R. A. Perry and John Fitzgerald.
David Wise & Co., are successors to Block, Wise & Co., who commenced business in the fall of 1875. The present firm succeeded to the business of the original house January 1, 1882. The business has increased 500 per cent since the firm began business. Their sales are in Nebraska, Colorado and Wyoming. The business now is exclusively wholesale.
Humphrey Bros. (Austin and Oliver Humphrey) commenced the hardware and farm machinery business in February, 1868. This firm continued until the incorporation of the Humphrey Bros. Hardware Co., in January, 1881, being the oldest hardware house in Lincoln. They commenced in a small way, doing perhaps $10,000 business the first year. Now they sell over $100,000 worth of goods annually, at retail. The officers of the company are: Austin Humphrey, president; Oliver N. Humphrey, treasurer; C. J. Heffley, secretary. The capital stock is $50,000. The parties mentioned as officers are the directors and own the entire stock of the corporation.
Leighton & Brown, (wholesale and retail druggists) commenced the retail drug business in 1868, where they now have their retail establishment. They began their wholesale trade in a small way, in 1876, probably doing about $10,000 wholesale business the first year. For 1881, the business amounted to about $200,000. They employ about thirteen hands, have two traveling salesmen and carry a stock of about $75,000. When they came here there was but one building between their store and the Capitol, it being now the oldest drug store in the city.
Michigan Lumber Company, Stevens, Waters & Nadeau, proprietors, commenced business at Lincoln in July, 1881. They do some jobbing, but their principal business is retail. They expect to handle 2,000,000 feet of lumber per annum. They deal also in sashes, doors and blinds, building paper, etc.
The Chicago Lumber Company commenced business at Lincoln, March 1, 1881. Their sales for the year amounted to about $135,000, representing fully 5,000,000 feet of lumber. The Chicago Lumber Company is one of the largest firms of the kind in the country. It was organized in 1866, with M. T. Green as manager, he still retaining that position. They have extended their business into Iowa, Kansas, Nebraska and Missouri, with yards for supply and distribution at Chicago, Omaha, Lincoln, Des Moines, Kansas City, Topeka and Leavenworth. In the above named States they have sixty-eight yards, and they sold during 1881, 149,000,000 feet of lumber. They are preparing to engage still more extensively, their new docks at Chicago having a capacity for 100,000,000 feet. They are also building a planing mill and sash factory, of 300,000 feet per day capacity. The firm is also owners of the celebrated Marble Head lime. They manufacture this article and have a capacity of 1,600 barrels a day. H. P. Foster and M. T. Green were the first members of the firm which composed the company originally. They do a large jobbing business at Lincoln and employ ten men.
Doolittle & Gordon, lumber merchants, do an extensive business. They handled 240 car loads of lumber in 1881, containing about 3,000,000 feet. They also handle sashes, doors and blinds, doing an exclusively retail business. The business was established by Crandall & Tuttle, in 1871. From 1876 to 1879, the firm was Tuttle & Doolittle. In the spring of 1880, the firm of Doolittle, Gordon & Co., was organized, and January 1, 1881, the present firm was formed.
Hoagland Bros., lumber merchants, commenced business in February, 1880. The firm is composed of J. S. & H. V. Hoagland. They do exclusively a retail business, amounting in the aggregate to over 100 car loads of lumber a year. Their trade is chiefly in Lancaster County.
Smith & Tyler, architects and builders, organized in 1880, although they had been engaged in similar operations separately previous to that time. They designed the post office, two wings of the insane asylum, State Journal building, Quick's block, the Commercial Hotel extension, Leighton & Brown's wholesale drug house, Walsh & Putnam's building, Fitzgerald's block, Humphrey Bros.' hardware store, Webster & McMurtry's block, corner M and Eleventh, Osborne's warehouse, First Ward School, Grime's building, Veith's building, Phillips & Barne's block, Burr & Muir's block, A. S. Raymond's house, L. E. Cropsey's house, Windsor Hotel at Seward, City block at Pawnee City, and Dave Stevenson's private residence, at Falls City. They are now preparing plans for C. C. Burr's residence, C. M. Leighton's residence, Second Ward School, opera house and court house, at Fairbury, and many other smaller buildings. All these, except the post office and asylum, have been built in the last two years.
It is estimated, finally, that Lincoln gives employment to 1,270 mechanics and tradesmen. In fact it seems to be a favorable locality for both proprietors and working men.
Lincoln Board of Trade was organized January 16, 1880, and has a membership of seventy stockholders and three pass members. Eli Plummer, President; Austin Humphrey, Vice-President; C. M. Leighton, Treasurer.
Lincoln Telephone Exchange was organized January, 1880. Capital stock, $10,000. H. L. Beaty, Manager. It is in general use throughout the city.
(ABBOTT thru ALLEN)
HON. NEWTON C. ABBOTT, attorney at law, came to Lincoln in August, 1871, and was employed as a clerk until 1874 when he began to read law with Groff & Ames, and was admitted to the bar in the spring of 1875. He served as Justice of the Peace for two and one-half years after he was admitted. In 1880 he was elected a member of the Legislature, and since April, 1881, he has been City Attorney. He was born near Churchville, Monroe Co., N. Y., March 19, 1850. When sixteen years old he came to Aurora, Ill., where he attended the High School, and upon graduating, he moved to Lincoln. He was married at Churchville, N. Y., January 15, 1879, to Emma J. Howard, a native of Illinois. They have one child, Charles H. Mr. Abbott is a member of the K. of P.
E. S. ABBOTT, manufacturer of concrete paving, was born October, 1849, in Sullivan County, Me., where he was raised, and availed himself of a common school education up to the age of eighteen. He then went to Concord, N. H., and worked for the Granite Railroad Company for about two years, then to Boston, Mass., and entered into the grocery business purchasing a store, at the same time contracted for, and carried on a concrete paving business, and in 1876 sold out and came to Howard County, Neb., and entered into the stock business, principally sheep. In the summer of 1881 he came to Lincoln and opened up business here, as contractor and manufacturer of concrete pavement, and up to the present time has been the only person in that line of business west of Omaha. He was married in 1875, at Boston, Mass., to Miss Sarah E. Locke, who was born in Indiana. They have two children, Nelson and Florence. He is a member of the I. O. O. F., Capital Lodge No. 11, as P. G., also of the Knights of Pythias, Concord Lodge No. 8, and to the A., F. and A. M., Elliott Lodge, Boston, Mass.
O. T. ALDRICH, contractor and builder, was born in Tompkins County, N. Y., in 1834. Previous to locating here he was engaged in the mercantile business for about three years at Westfield, N. Y. He then sold out his business and went to Pennsylvania and operated there in the oil business and still has an interest in two or three leases there on lands that as yet have never been tested. In 1876 he moved to Lee County, Ill., and remained there for a year and a half working at his trade. In the spring of 1878 he came to Nebraska and located in Lincoln as contractor and builder, and built several dwelling houses here. He was married in 1867 to Miss H. D. Newton, in New York. She was born in Utica in 1838. They have two children now living, George T. and Anna D. The latter now at the university here. Mr. Aldrich has been a member of the I. O. O. F., since 1874, also a member of the Good Templers. Both are members of the First Baptist Church.
DAVID B. ALEXANDER, located with his family, in Lincoln, Neb., October 25, 1871. His first investment there was in June, 1870. He was for two years president of the State National Bank of Lincoln. He was twice appointed, and served two terms as Postmaster at the city of Effingham, Ill., commencing with Lincoln's administration. He was born October 24, 1818, near Wilmington, Del., but was raised in Mount Vernon, Ohio, his father having moved to Ohio in 1819. He located in Greencastle, Ind., in 1849, and in 1853, in connection with a friend, bought the lands and located the town site (now city) of Effingham, Ill., and engaged in the hardware business. He was married in Lima, Ohio, October 25, 1850, to Martha Rose, a native of Ohio. They have eight children, Rose A., William R., Flora A., Ida A., Lillie M., Eddie D., Carrie L. and Harry.
WILLIAM H. ALEXANDER, manager of the wholesale and retail furniture establishment of Jansen Bros. & Co., was born in Lisbon, Conn., August 7, 1849, and that was his home until 1871 when he came to Illinois, locating in Quincy. In December of that year, he became associated with the Whitney & Holmes Organ Company, at first as salesman and afterward becoming superintendent of agencies. He remained with that company for eight years. In 1879 Jansen Bros. established their Lincoln furniture house, and those gentlemen being large stockholders in the organ company, had become thoroughly acquainted with Mr. Alexander's integrity and superior business qualifications and with that knowledge they negotiated with him to become interested in the extensive business which he now represents here. In July, 1879, Mr. Alexander came to Lincoln and assumed the management of the establishment, and under his successful control the business has rapidly increased to its present mammoth proportions. Mr. Alexander attended the public schools of his native county until he arrived at the age of fourteen years, taking a thorough academic course. He was employed in teaching for about three years. He was naturally inclined to the legal profession, but circumstances shaped his course otherwise. His literary labors have, to some extent, attracted favorable notice, writing under the nom de plume of Rosston. He furnished for publication in the Quincy Whig, historical sketches of Wisconsin, Minnesota and Kansas. He also reported the proceedings of the Republican National Convention at Cincinnati in 1876, and various other important gatherings. He is secretary of the Union Club and is also a member of the Philharmonic and Apollo Musical Societies. He was married in Quincy, Ill., June 18, 1872, to Stelle E. Parker, a native of Ashland, Ohio. They have two children, Mina E. and Sadie L.
SAMUEL J. ALEXANDER, Secretary of State, located in Jones County. Neb., July 5, 1860, and engaged in selling goods on the overland freight road. After a year at this he began raising stock. He entered the First Colorado Regiment as a private and was commissioned an officer in the Nebraska Militia. In 1869 he engaged in the real estate and law business at Meridian, and kept it up until 1872, when he laid out the town of Alexandria and practiced there until 1878. In November, 1878 he was elected Secretary of the State, and re-elected in 1880. He is also Adjutant General. Up to December, 1881, he carried on his real estate and law business in connection with C. F. McGrew. He was born in Avoca, Wis., October 6, 1844. In 1854 he moved to West Union, Iowa, and from there came to Nebraska.
T. D. ALLEN, architect and superintendent, was born in Greenwich, Washington Co., N. Y., April 16, 1829, where he lived until 1848, when he moved to western Pennsylvania. His parents died when he was young. He commenced the study of his profession in Pennsylvania, continued it in the western reserve of Ohio, Medina County, where he designed the court house and high school buildings, and in 1872 moved to Cleveland, Ohio. From there he moved to Oshkosh, where he designed and built the opera house, then to Council Bluffs, Iowa, from there he moved to Grand Island, Neb., in 1879, and finally settled in Lincoln in the spring of 1882. Mr. A. has practiced his profession for twenty-seven years. Among his most prominent works in the State of Nebraska, we may enumerate the high school building at Kearney, the Masonic hall at Grand Island, the high school at Red Cloud, the court house at Osceola and the graded school at Exeter. He was married in Warren County, Pa., July 4, 1866, to Miss Harriet E. Hinckley of that County. She died in Grand Island, Neb., May 17, 1880, leaving four children, Glenni H., Eulynn W. W., Wrennie L. P., Luean D.