Physical Character | Early Settlement | Indian Troubles|
County Organization | Official Roster | County Statistics|
Railroads | District Schools | Taxation
County Poor Department | County Societies
Lincoln: Early History | Incorporation | Official Roster|
City Institutions | Post Office
Lincoln (cont.): University of Nebraska|
Lincoln (cont.): University of Nebraska (cont.)|
Lincoln (cont.): Insane Hospital|
Nebraska State Penitentiary | The Second Revolt
Lincoln (cont.): Public Schools | Fire Department|
The Press | Churches
Lincoln (cont.): Societies, Associations, Etc.|
Temperance Societies | Musical Societies
Business Interests | Banks | Hotels
Lincoln (cont.): |
Wholesale and Manufacturing Establishments
Biographical Sketches- ABBOTT~ALLEN
10 - 24:
** Lincoln Biographical Sketches ** (cont.)|
| ALFORD~BONNELL | BOHANON~CARR |
| CARTER~CUMMINGS | DAILEY~FEDEWA |
| FULLER~GRIMM | GULICK~HOGE |
| HOLMES~KEELER | KELLY~McCONNIFF |
| McCORD~NANCE | NEWMAN~PHILLIPS |
| PHILPOTT~RANDLE | RAYMOND~SCOTT |
| SEATON~STRICKLAND | SWAN~WALSH |
| WEBER~WUNDERLICH |
Bennet: Churches | Societies ||
| Biographical Sketches - ALLSTOT~GRIBLING
Bennett: Biographical Sketches - HANSON~PIPER|
Bennett: Biographical Sketches - RHEA~WILSON|
Waverly: Biographical Sketches|
Firth: Biographical Sketches|
Roca | Other Points
Grant Precinct | Saltillo Precinct | Stockton Precinct
List of Illustrations in Lancaster County Chapter
(HOLMES thru KEELER)
L. K. HOLMES, brick manufacturer, business established by Mr. H. in 1870. The yearly output has been about 800,000 to 2,000,000, previous to the present year some portions of his yard has been rented, but this year he controls the entire property and the product will be equal to the demand, up to 5,000,000. He employs at present forty to fifty men. Mr. H. was born near Utica, N. Y., September 12, 1838. He graduated from Hamilton College, in 1856, he then visited Kansas, and took an active part with the Free State men in the struggle between freedom and slavery. He was private secretary to Albert D. Richardson for some time, who was the author of Beyond the Mississippi, and correspondent of the New York Tribune, returning to New York, in the spring of 1861. Immediately on the breaking out of the Rebellion he went to Washington and offered his services to the Government that was attached to the Quartermaster's Department, and was appointed Superintendent of one of the Government Corrals until 1864, at his request for more active service, he was detailed to the army of the James, at Bermuda Hundred as chief stevedore on the fall of Richmond, Va., he was immediately appointed to the same position at Richmond, which position he filled until the fall of 1868, when he resigned and returned to New York, in 1869, he removed to Lincoln, Neb., where he has remained since and done his full share in building up the city, having heavy investments in real estate in the city. He was married in Chicago, March 4, 1873, to Miss Anna T. Haviland of that city, who died in April, 1879, leaving two children, Albert G. E. and Ruby H. He was married again at Chicago, April 23, 1882, to Miss Anna Baker of Kingston, Canada. Mr. H. in religion is Orthodox, he belongs to the Masonic fraternity, both Blue Lodge and Chapter, at Richmond, Va., is also a member of the K. of P. and K. of H. of Lincoln Neb.
W. W. HOLMES, real estate dealer, came to Nebraska in March 1869 and has been engaged in his present business since he came here. He has just erected an extensive building for business purposes on Eleventh street between O and N, comprising the city block, corner Eleventh and N streets, and two buildings farther north. He has also put up four residences. He was born at Mechanicsville Saratoga Co., N. Y., where he lived until he came to Nebraska. He was married in Springfield, Ill., in October, 1872, to Emma H. Hoagland, a native of Cass County, Ill. They have one child, George W.
AUGUST HOPPE, retail liquor dealer, was born February 11, 1844, near Berlin, Germany, where he was raised and partially educated. In 1865 emigrated to New York and from thence went to Chicago and was employed in a hardware establishment, on State street, in general work for about two years and a half, and July 14, 1868, came to Nebraska and engaged in the same business with Reinburg & Jones for about four years. In 1872 came to Lincoln. Worked as a clerk in a store and March 12, 1873, established a business of foreign and domestic wines, liquors and cigars. Controls more than one half of the German trade in that line. Was married July 1, 1873, to a Miss Alvina Wenzel, of Germany, and who died November 5, 1879, here, leaving two children, Freddie and Henry. Was married again July 2, 1881, to Miss L. Wundricks, of Germany, and has one child by her--Willy. Belongs to the Harmonic Society. Also to the German Sænger Corps and is a member of the I. O. O. F., German Lodge No. 67. Mr. Hoppe's three brothers are all enterprising young men and each carries on a business in this State.
GEORGE E. HOWARD, professor of history, Nebraska State University. Is a native of Saratoga County, N. Y., where he was born October 1, 1849. His parents were natives of Washington County, N. Y. In 1851 they removed to Crawford County, Ohio, and returned to New York State in 1863, remaining for two years in Onondaga County, and from there removed to Whiteside County, Ill. From there they removed to Nebraska in 1868 and settled in Gage County, where they still live, engaged in agriculture. The subject of this sketch was engaged in independent labor from about 1863. He settled in Nebraska in the fall of 1867 but returned to Missouri to spend the winter. His preparatory education was obtained in various public schools of the State of Ohio, of New York and Mount Carroll high school, Illinois. In January, 1869, entered the Normal School of Nebraska, and graduated in the year 1870 in the first class. During the five terms of his attendance at the Normal, J. M. McKenzie was principal. In September Professor Howard organized a private school in Tecumseh, Johnson County, which was sustained with success for six months. Had thirty-five students, mostly teachers from the county, in attendance. In the spring of 1871 he took charge of the Tecumseh public schools. First graded them in two departments. Miss Angie McKee was his assistant. In the autumn of 1871 he engaged in teaching at Atchison County, Mo. Taught ten months and in September, 1872, entered the University in Lincoln, Neb. At the same time he obtained a position as clerk for J. M. McKenzie, then State Superintendent of Public Instruction. He conducted the official correspondence and had general management of the office work. He graduated form the University in June, 1876, with A. B. degree. In October of the same year he went to Europe and studied in Munich and Paris for two years, in vacations traveling in Italy, Switzerland, Austria and Holland, chiefly for the purpose of supplementing historic studies. He returned to the United States and in January, 1879, was appointed tutor in the department of History and English Literature at the State University of Nebraska. In the spring of 1879 was given the degree of A. M. by Alma Mater. In 1880 appointed to the professorship of History and English Literature. In June, 1881, was elected Professor of History, a chair of English Literature having been created for Prof. George E. Woodberry. He was married in Lincoln in January, 1880, to Miss Alice M. Frost, a member of his class in the University in 1876. Mrs. Howard's parents are natives of New York State. The Professor has a sister and a brother living with his parents and has one sister married and living in Republican City, Neb.
[Portrait of W. G. Houtz.]
W. G. HOUTZ., M. D., physician and surgeon, was born October 12, 1830, in Lebanon County, Pa., and was raised in Dauphin County and during his early years had the advantages of the common schools of the State and in 1851 he went to Philadelphia and took a regular course in the College of Medicine and graduated in 1853, after which he attended the Lying-in Hospital there for about six months and from thence went to St. Thomas, Dauphin Co., Pa., and remained there for about two years, practicing his profession, after which he went to Troy Grove, La Salle Co., Ill., and remained there for twenty-five years in the practice of his profession. Owing to ill health gave up his profession and took a tour through the Indian Territory. Then returned to Illinois and in 1880 came to Lincoln, where he now resides. Was married in 1865, to Miss Chaddock, of Illinois. Has two children by his former wife, Mary C., and Susan.
D. B. HOWARD, contractor and builder, who was born in Vermillion County, Ind., in 1845, and up to the age of sixteen was farming with his parents in Douglas County, Ill., and in 1862 enlisted as private in the Ninth Illinois Cavalry, Company M, under Col. Brackett, and participated in the principal battles and several skirmishes and mustered out in 1865, in Alabama, and discharged November 18, 1865, Springfield, Ill. He then went to Bond County, Ill., and engaged in the sawmill business for about two years, then engaged in farming for about four years in Douglas County, Ill., and afterward bought a carriage manufactory at Newman, same county, and at the expiration of one year sold out, and in 1872 came to Nebraska and located here, and opened up business as contractor and builder, having built several of the principal private dwellings here. He was married in 1868, to Miss S. W. Huff, in Illinois, who was born in 1844, in Coshocton County, Ohio, has two children living, Jennie Evelyn and Leonora. He belongs to Lancaster Lodge No. 54, and been a Mason for last four years, also to the Temple of Honor as Past Worthy Chief for five years, and Order of the Eastern Star, Chapter No. 8, and Social Temple of Honor. His wife is also member of Order of Eastern Star, also both are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
J. S. HOWARD, was born January 26, 1840, Carroll County, Ohio, where he was raised and educated and in 1858 went to Wisconsin and engaged in lettering headstones for about four or five years and from thence moved to New York, continuing in the same business. In 1863 enlisted in the Forty-fifth New York Infantry, Company A, under Gen. Joe Hooker, participating in all the battles with his regiment and in October, 1865, mustered out at Nashville, Tenn., and discharged at New York City. Then came West in 1866 to Omaha and was engaged by the U. P. R. R. Co., as fireman at their saw mills, as well as laying track and working on section, for about three years. Then worked at the brick business for about one season, then for the B. & M. R. R. Co., and in 1864 came to Lincoln and worked for Hull & Bonds, Cropsy's Mills, and Keyes & Bullock and in 1879 was made special policeman. In February, 1881, was appointed by the Mayor and confirmed by the City Council as driver to the Fire Department. He was married in April, 1877, at Roca, to Miss Anna McKinnon, who was born in Wisconsin and has one child living, Annetta. Is a member of the Grand Army of the Republic, Farragut Post No. 25.
T. F. HUDSON, farmer and stock raiser, was born February 10, 1825, in Jefferson County, Ind. At an early age left that State and went with his parents to Greene County, Ill., where he was educated. In 1859 went to Allen County, Kas., and engaged in farming about one year. Then in the year 1861 came to Nebraska City and engaged again in farming for two years, and in 1863 came to Lincoln and homesteaded 160 acres, situated south of Lincoln on Salt Creek, in Section 35, Town 10, Range 6, which he improved and put under cultivation, and then engaged in the dairy business, having a herd of some sixty head of graded milch cows and was then the largest dairy business in the county. He carried on the same for about nine years. His improvements on the farm at first consisted of sheds made out of poles and covered with straw, and dwelling house a common log house which still remains on the same old spot. Through close attention to business has been able to build a large barn for his stock of modern style, at a cost of $2,500, with a capacity of holding forty head of cattle and twenty-five head of horses, and is considered to be one of the best in the county. At the time he located his farm his closest neighbor was at a distance of fifteen miles. He was married to a Mrs. Lucinda Dailey, whose maiden name was Miss L. Bride, of Wheeling, W. Va., and was raised and educated in Ohio. They have three children, Nanny, now Mrs. M. R. Davey, John, guard at the penitentiary, and Samuel married and farming in Seward County, of this State. Mr. Hudson is a member of the I. O. O. F., Capitol Lodge No. 11, was elected Constable in 1865 for Lancaster Precinct by a large majority. Mrs. Hudson was one of those who voluntarily gave forty acres of land and four lots in the city in order that the capitol should be moved here. The family are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
DAVID W. HUFF, came to Lincoln in the fall of 1870, and was employed as a clerk in the mercantile business for eight years. He was then in the agricultural implement business until April, 1881, when he became associated with J. F. Lansing, attending to the land business of his office. Mr. Huff was born near Cassopolis, Cass Co., Mich., March 9, 1833. He lived there until he came to Nebraska. He was married in Michigan September 30, 1858, to Mary J. Beeson, a native of Cass County, Mich. They have two children, Ida B. and Herbert W. Mr. Huff was a recruiting officer for three years while living in Michigan.
WILLIAM B. HUGHES, brick contractor and builder, was born May 10, 1848, in Peru, Clinton Co., N. Y., and was raised and educated at the same place, and was apprenticed for about four years in Port Henry, Essex Co., N. Y., to the mason business. In 1874 commenced contracting and built the brick machine shop for the Port Henry Iron Ore Co., also at Minersville, a brick machine shop, hoisting works, and smoke stack of 100 feet and several other buildings, mostly all of three stories in height, and in the fall of 1876 came to Crete, Neb., and engaged in the same business contracting for and building several private residences amongst which was the two-story brick residence of Mr. S. F. Foss, president of State Bank, also Mr. Niers, the brewer's and a three-story flour and grist mill for Mr. J. Johnson. Then came to Lincoln and in August, 1880, sub-contracted from Mr. J. Lanham, the brick work for the B. & M. round house, and from Mr. Potwin the brick work for the Odd Fellows' Hall, and previous to and since that time contracted for and built several residences of brick, such as the City block, etc., and L. K. Homes' two-story brick residence. He was married April 19, 1876, to Miss M. A. Hogan, of Clinton County, N. Y. Had four children, two deceased and two now living, William and Edward. Family are members of the Catholic Church.
HON. D. G. HULL, Master in Chancery of United States Court, was born in Binghamton, N. Y., January 9, 1843. Graduated from Madison High School in 1861 and then entered upon study under Alexander Hyde, at Hyde Park, preparatory to entering Yale College. The breaking out of the war changed his plans. In 1862 he enlisted in the United States Navy and was mustered out in 1865. The first two years he was "before the mast," the balance of the time in official positions. He returned to Binghamton and was admitted to the bar in 1865. In the fall of 1865 he removed to Atchinson, Kas., and was elected Engrossing Clerk of the House during winter 1865-66. He then returned to New York City and from there moved to Nebraska in 1869, locating in Lincoln, where he engaged in the practice of his profession. Is now admitted to practice in the Supreme Court of the United States. In 1878 he was appointed Master in Chancery by Judges Dillon and Dundy. He was married in Binghamton, N. Y., in 1869, to Miss Jennie Conkling, eldest daughter of M. Conkling, of that city, an old resident of that section. Mr. and Mrs. Hull have one child, Maggie Edith. Mr. Hull is P. C. and D. G. D., of the K. of P., P. D. of the K. of H., P. R. and D. G. R. of the Royal Arcanum. Is also a member of Farragut Post G. A. R. Mr. Hull is secretary of the State Bar Association, a position he has held since its organization in 1876.
ALBERT J. HYATT, Captain of police force, was born August, 1844, in Monroe County, N. Y., where he was raised, and educated at Rochester, N. Y. Then went to Pennsylvania, speculating in the oil regions, and from thence to Montana, mining, and in 1868, returned to Pennsylvania, and engaged in business; and in 1870, went to Rochester and engaged in farming. In 1872 he came to Lincoln, and shortly after his arrival engaged in well digging, and dug and completed the artesian well (to the depth of 1,000 feet), which is situated in the post office square, in this city; and in 1878, was appointed by Mayor Galy as Captain to the police force here, which position he still holds. He was married in March, 1871, to Miss Mary A. Crane, of Rochester, N. Y. He has four children, Etna Libbie, Percy, Clarence and Frank E. All are members of the Presbyterian Church.
J. J. IMHOFF, proprietor of the Commercial Hotel, the original building then known as the Douglas House, was bought by Mr. Imhoff in November, 1872. It then had forty-four feet front; additions were made in 1873, 1876 and in 1880. The building is now 150x108 ½ feet, 3 stories high, and contains 135 rooms, and can accommodate from 200 to 300 guests. J. J. I. was born in Somerset County, Pa., May 8, 1835. He learned the trade of carpenter in his native State. In 1854 he moved to Champaign County, Ill., where he engaged in building. In 1856 he moved to Nebraska, and settled in Omadi, Dakota Co., following the same business. In 1858 he moved to Nebraska City, engaging in mercantile business, in which he continued until he moved to Lincoln in 1872. He was married in Nebraska City, November 5, 1862, to Miss Mary E. Rector. They have four children, Charles Hudson, Joseph Bloss, Ono May, Hattie Josephine. Mr. I. is a member of the A., F. & A. M., Lodge, Chapter and Commandery, also of the Knights of Honor, and of the Temple of Honor, and Methodist Episcopal Church.
JOHN JACOBS, foreman of machine shop, Seaton & Lee, was born in Germany, in 1860, and came to America with his parents. Settled in Atchison, Kan., where he was at school some fourteen years, after which he went to work in a sash factory for A. D. Bradish, and remained in his employ for about three years. Then engaged as machinist with Seaton & Lee, in their foundry in Atchison, for about five years, and in 1881 came to Lincoln and was made foreman of their machine shop here. Is a member of the Lutheran Church.
W. A. JOHNSTON, manager at Lincoln, of the Consolidated Tank Line Company, dealers in oils. The business was established in 1874 as the Nebraska Tank Line Company. The present firm was established in 1879. Their headquarters are at Cincinnati, Ohio, and they have branch houses all over the United States. They receive here in tanks and barrels, and distribute form 4,000 to 5,000 of refined carbon oils yearly. He was born in Licking County, Ohio, June 10, 1851. He came to Nebraska in 1872, locating in Lincoln. In 1876 he became connected with the Oil Company, and was appointed to present position in October, 1881. He was married in Lincoln, October 1, 1879, to Miss Carrie Swab, of Lincoln. They have one child, Clara.
J. C. JOHNSTON, Attorney at Law, and Justice of the Peace, came to Lincoln April, 1876, and has engaged in practice most of the time since, having taught school a short time at first. He has been Justice of the Peace since January, 1880. He was born in Huntingdon County, Pa., August 31, 1855. When about five years old, his parents moved to Whiteside County, Ill., where he lived until he came to Nebraska. He attended school at Mount Carroll for four years, and graduated from the Illinois Industrial College, at Champaign, Ill. He was married at Lincoln, February, 18, 1877, to Mary M. Theadore, a native of Orleans County, N. Y. They have two children, Laurence T. and Clara M. Mr. Johnston is a member of the Equitable Association and Aid Union. He practices in both English and German, speaking the latter language quite as fluently as the former.
J. N. T. JONES, general store. Present business was established in July, 1880. Mr. J. carries a stock of about $9,000 to $10,000. Has three clerks constantly employed, the force being doubled in busy seasons. Mr. Jones was born in Simpson County, Ky., February 27, 1846. He received his education in McLean County, Ill., where he made his home from 1864 until he came to Nebraska, in 1869. He settled in Lincoln, and in 1871 formed a partnership with Fred Schmidt, selling out his interest in 1876. During 1878 and 1879, he was for a few months, in partnership with Parren England. Then sold out his interest to Mr. England. He was married in Springfield, Ill., June 10, 1868, to Miss White, of Illinois. Mr. J. is a member of the Presbyterian Church.
PROF. W. W. W. Jones, State Superintendent of Schools, came to Nebraska City in August, 1868, and taught there as principal of the High School six years. In 1874, he came to Lincoln as Superintendent of the city schools, and was principal of the High School, and was elected State Superintendent in November, 1880. He was born at Jacksonville, Ill., December 3, 1842, and removed early in life to Woodford County, Ill. After his mother died he lived with a sister in Missouri for ten years, and then returned to Illinois, and completed his studies. He was educated at Eureka College, Eureka, Ill., graduating in 1866. He taught two years in Illinois, prior to coming to Nebraska. He served in the One Hundreth and Thirty-ninth Regiment Illinois Volunteer Infantry, Company C, for about six months, commencing in May, 1864. He was married in Nebraska City, December 28, 1871, to Annie E. Cinnamond, a native of St. Louis, Mo. She came to Nebraska in 1859. Her father died at Lincoln, and her mother now lives in Denver, Colo. Prof. Jones has two children, Janvier Woodward and Edith Laura. The Professor is a son of Rev. John T. Jones, Eureka, Ill. His mother died in Jacksonville. Both were natives of Pennsylvania, Pennypack, near Philadelphia, being his father's birth place.
JOHN SIGVALDSEN JORSTEAD, Sexton Wyuka Cemetery, Lincoln, Neb., was born at Gehueland Stavangers Amt., Norway, on the 26th day of April, 1845, where he was raised and educated, and on May 11, 1860, came to America, and went to Illinois, and engaged in farming, and on the 23d of October, 1862, enlisted in the Eighty-ninth Illinois Infantry, Company E, under Col. Hotchkiss, and participated in all the battles with his regiment. Was mustered out June 22, 1865, at Nashville, Tenn. Then returned to Illinois, and engaged again in farming, and in May, 1870, came to Saline County, Neb., and there purchased 160 acres of land, and engaged in stock raising and general farming. In June, 1876, came to Lincoln, Neb., and in January, 1877, took charge of the cemetery which comprises some eighty acres, of which forty is enclosed, and since he has had it under his charge, has laid it out in a very artistic manner. He was married July 6, 1869, to Miss Ellen Omonson, of Earlville, Ill. They have three children--Ella S. J., Alice M., and Irena P.
B. C. KEELER, proprietor livery feed and sale stable, was born in Fayette County, Pa., March 2, 1842, and at an early age went with his parents to Greene County, Ohio, where he availed himself of an education, as he best could, and at the age of eighteen he left there and went into Illinois, and there engaged principally in farming, and from thence went to Johnson County, Iowa, and followed the occupation of breaking and threshing until the year 1878, in which year he came to Nebraska, and located at Lincoln, and established himself in the livery business, commencing on a small scale, and with close attention to business, and by fair dealing, now enjoys and commands a large trade from the city and surrounding country. On January 27, 1869, was married to Miss Mary E. Craig, of Johnson County, Iowa, who died on December 27, of the same year, leaving one daughter--Mary E., and in December 31, 1872, was married to Miss Emma F. Dushuttle, who was born at Lynn, Essex Co., Mass., and went to Cass County, Iowa, with her sister, and there was married to Mr. Keeler. They have now three children--Nora Lee, Pearlie Lewis and Gracie Bell, who are at school.