Physical Character | Early Settlement | Indian Troubles|
County Organization | Official Roster | County Statistics|
Railroads | District Schools | Taxation
County Poor Department | County Societies
Lincoln: Early History | Incorporation | Official Roster|
City Institutions | Post Office
Lincoln (cont.): University of Nebraska|
Lincoln (cont.): University of Nebraska (cont.)|
Lincoln (cont.): Insane Hospital|
Nebraska State Penitentiary | The Second Revolt
Lincoln (cont.): Public Schools | Fire Department|
The Press | Churches
Lincoln (cont.): Societies, Associations, Etc.|
Temperance Societies | Musical Societies
Business Interests | Banks | Hotels
Lincoln (cont.): |
Wholesale and Manufacturing Establishments
Biographical Sketches- ABBOTT~ALLEN
10 - 24:
** Lincoln Biographical Sketches ** (cont.)|
| ALFORD~BONNELL | BOHANON~CARR |
| CARTER~CUMMINGS | DAILEY~FEDEWA |
| FULLER~GRIMM | GULICK~HOGE |
| HOLMES~KEELER | KELLY~McCONNIFF |
| McCORD~NANCE | NEWMAN~PHILLIPS |
| PHILPOTT~RANDLE | RAYMOND~SCOTT |
| SEATON~STRICKLAND | SWAN~WALSH |
| WEBER~WUNDERLICH |
Bennet: Churches | Societies ||
| Biographical Sketches - ALLSTOT~GRIBLING
Bennett: Biographical Sketches - HANSON~PIPER|
Bennett: Biographical Sketches - RHEA~WILSON|
Waverly: Biographical Sketches|
Firth: Biographical Sketches|
Roca | Other Points
Grant Precinct | Saltillo Precinct | Stockton Precinct
List of Illustrations in Lancaster County Chapter
Masonic.--There are four chapters of this order in Lincoln. They have an elegant and commodious hall on the corner of O and Tenth streets, over the First National Bank. It is handsomely furnished after the order of this society, adjoining which is their "Banqueting Hall," which is well supplied with all the necessities of such an apartment, having a kitchen with all its utensils, dishes, tables, chairs, etc.
Lincoln Lodge No. 19, A., F. & A. M. This lodge was organized in 1868, and has at present about 150 members and is in a very flourishing condition. The officers at present are A. L. Palmer, W. M.; Lee P. Gellette, S. W.; O. W. Littler, J. W.; C. M. Leighton, Treasurer; L. B. Freeman, Secretary; E. O. Miller, S. D.; E. H. Salsbury, J. D. and John McClellan, Tiler.
Lancaster Lodge, No. 54, A., F. & A. M., was organized in 1874, and has at present a strong membership. Officers, C. H. Willard, W. M.; C. B. Palmer, S. W.; L. M. Hubert, J. W.; T. Ganter, Treasurer; T. H. Benton, Secretary; D. B. Howard, S. D., Charles Rohrick, J. D. and John McClellan, Tiler.
Lincoln Chapter, No. 6, R. A. M. This division of the order was organized April 28, 1878, and now has a membership of eighty-four, with the following officers: James Tyler, H. P.; R. P. R. Miller, K.; Edward L. Stahl, S.; John McManigue, C. H.; J. H. Foxworth, P. S.; George Tucker, R. A. C.; A. M. Davis, Third V.; M. B. Harris, Second V.; T. H. Benton, First V.; D. Newman, Treasurer; S. B. Linderman, Secretary.
Mount Moriah Commandery, No. 4, Knights Templar. This section of the Masonic fraternity was the second organized, whose existence dates from 1871. It has sixty-five members, with the following officers, J. K. Marly, E. C., Jos. Tyler, Gen'l.; D. Newman, C. G.; Ed. L. Stahl, Rec.
Independent Order of Odd Fellows.--There are three chapters of this organization here. They at present occupy a spacious hall which they rent, but they are building a very handsome temple on the corner of Eleventh and L streets, which is to cost, without furniture $20,000, and when furnished, doubtless not less than $25,000. The building will be an ornament to the city and the pride of the order. The following is a list of the chapters with a condensed history of each:
The Capital Lodge, No. 11, was organized in 1868, and now has a membership of 125. The following is a list of its present officers: W. J. Cooper, N. G.; A. G. Barnes, V. G.; E. C. Hill, R. S.; L. J. Byer, P. S.; and Samuel McClay, Treasurer.
Lancaster Lodge, No. 39, was instituted in 1873. It has sixty-five members. Officers; O. C. Bell, N. G.; A. D. Ketchen, V. G.; J. W. Steel, R. S.; C. T. Boggs, Treasurer.
Germania Lodge, No. 67, was organized in 1878, and has now about thirty-five members, George Scherrer, N. G.; L. Blanfus, V. G.; H. Veith, Secretary, and J. Andra, Treasurer, are its officers.
Saline Encampment, No. 4, was instituted in 1872, and has ninety members at present, D. A. Cline, C. P.; A. G. Barnes, S. W., and John Huelff, Scribe.
Knights of Honor.--The Knights of Honor have a hall in the Opera House block which is neat and tastefully furnished. This organization is comparatively young in its existence, as is the order, but it is in a most flourishing and prosperous condition. Their hall is rented by other societies. It has a live, working membership, which is rapidly increasing.
Washington Lodge, No. 903, Knights of Honor, was instituted the 22d of February, 1878. The officers are: D. G. Hull, Past Dictator; John Morrison, Dictator; J. G. Bell, Vice-Dictator; S. E. Elliott, Reporter; J. W. Brooks, Guide; Ed. Roggen, Treasurer; D. W. Mosely, Financial Reporter; E. L. Trickey, Chaplain; R. P. R. Millar, Guardian; L. E. Cropsy, Sentinel; Dr. A. R. Mitchell, Medical Examiner.
Royal Arcanum.--Commercial Council, No. 315, was instituted in April, 1879, and during its brief existence has made excellent progress. The following is a list of its present officers: Past Regent, D. G. Hull; Regent, Guy A. Brown; Vice-Regent, D. G. Hull; Chaplain, R. P. R. Millar; Secretary, A. G. Scott; Treasurer: J. J. Imhoff; Collector, Edward P. Roggen; Orator, S. G. Owen; Guide, T. M. Davis; Warden, C. H. Morrill; Secretary, J. D. Leslie; Medical Examiner, Dr. John D. Leslie.
Knights of Pythias.--This order has an interest in the I. O. O. F. hall now in course of construction. The following are the three divisions off this order in Lincoln:
Lincoln Lodge, No. 16. This was organized December 2, 1873, and now has a membership of over 100. Officers: J. B. Wright, P. C.; W. H. Love, C. C.; E. T. Roberts, V. C.; C. S Benjamin, P.; John H. Farwell, M. of E.; C. F. Damrow, K. of R. and S.; L. J. Beyer, M. of F.; Henry Linder, I. G.; A. D. Marshall, O. G.
Endowment Rank, K. of P., Section No. 40. President, Dr. J. D. Leslie; Vice-President, H. S. Downs; Secretary and Treasurer, L. J. Beyer; Guide, George Forbes; Guard, Louie Meyer.
Uniform Rank, K. of P. This was organized in 1881, with the following officers: Sir Knight Commander, Robert D. Silver; Sir Knight Herald, H. S. Downs; Sir Knight Sentinel, E. H. Salsberry. It has a membership of about forty.
Grand Army of the Republic.--Farragut Post, No. 25. The organization of this Post took place in 1879, and it has at present a large membership.
Post Commander, C. H. Gould; Senior Vice-Commander, C. M. Parker; Junior Vice-Commander, S. P. Vanatta; Adjutant, W. A. Place; Quartermaster, R. C. Hazlett; Surgeon, W. S. Satta; Chaplain, Henry Masterman; Sergeant Major, Harry Hotchkiss; Quartermaster Sergeant, D. B. Howard; Officer of the Day, A. P. Tarbox; Officer of the Guard, James McCarty; Ordinance Sergeant, S. Sprague; Inside Sentinel, Dave Reynolds.
State Bar Association.--Officers: C. F. Henderson, President; D. G. Hull, Secretary and Treasurer; Members of Executive Committee, J. R. Webster. J. M. Woolworth; Committee on Membership, W. J. Lamb, M. A. Hopewell.
It is a pleasure to note the interest felt and the societies organized in this city, the capital of a State so fruitful in natural resources and so great in its capabilities for the advancement of the principles of temperance. It is encouraging to know that the citizens of Lincoln are not so engrossed with their secular pursuits and ambitions as to forget to sow the seed of temperance early before the seeds of vice, that seem to come up naturally like noxious weeds, shall have taken thickest and deepest root in the soil of society.
There are five societies organized here for the especial purpose of promoting the cause of temperance, and they are all in very prosperous conditions, and high hopes are entertained of their ultimate success in making Lincoln, the capital of the State, a thorough temperance city, which it should be for an example to the whole State. If the head is sick or evil, what must be expected of the rest of the body?
Lincoln Temple of H. F., No. 1--This society was organized in March, 1877, and has at present about 175 members. The following are its present officers, January, 1881: W. C. Spencer, W. C.; L. M. Hubert, W. V.; Austin Humphrey, W. R.; H. V. Hoagland, W. A.; R. Whitehead, W. T.; E. H. Salsbury, W. F. R.; Mr. Birch, W. U.; H. E. George, W. D. C.
Social Temple of Honor.-Sister Presiding Templar, Mrs. Hawley; Brother Presiding Templar, J. W. Hedges, Sister V. T., Mrs. L. M. Hubert; Brother V. T., Mr. Hawley; Sister Recorder, Emma Gillespie.
Independent Order of Good Templars.--Lincoln Lodge, No. 35. This is the oldest of the societies, having been organized in 1868. It has about seventy-one members, with the following officers: T. B. Dawson, W. C. T.; Miss Emma Gulick, W. V. T.; Miss Dingle, W. R. S.; Dr. S. C. Cooley, W. A. S.; S. H. King, W. F. S.; Miss Place, W. T.; Miss Viola Dowden, W. C.; S. S. English, W. M.; Miss Peckham, W. D. M.; Mrs. T. B. Dawson, W. I. G.; John B. Finch, W. O. G., Miss Julia Dowden, P. W. C. T.
Woman's Christian Temperance Union.--President, Mrs. C. A. Hardy; Vice-President, Mrs. O. M. Metcalf; Secretary, Mrs. C. H. Gould; Treasurer, Mrs. S. M. Benedict.
Red Ribbon Club.--Lincoln Club No. 1. This is the most prosperous and active of the societies and by its larger membership is able to accomplish more. It was organized in November, 1880, with 2,000 members. Its present membership is between 3,000 and 4,000.
The Lincoln Philharmonic Society was organized in March, 1880, of which Prof. W. W. W. Jones is president; Col. J. H. Alford, vice president; Miss Minnie Parker, secretary; Charles Hovey, treasurer; W. L. Fairbrother, musical director; and M. C. Harmer, librarian.
Harmonic Society.--This society was organized October 4, 1875, with sixteen charter members and has at present a membership of 115. The object of the organization is for mutual education, pleasure and the encouragement of social gatherings that will at once be both useful, instructive and entertaining. The results have been most beneficial thus far. It has an orchestra, dramatic and singing club. It was incorporated upon its fifth anniversary, October 4, 1880. The officers at this writing are: John Huelff, president; Jacob Roche, vice president; August Rieckmann, secretary; J. C. Hagensick, financial secretary; H. P. Lau, treasurer; John Gieser, archivist; Emil Schulz, musical director; Jacob Andra, janitor.
the Lincoln Apollo Club was organized August 23, 1881, and has for its object musical education and entertainment, Prof. W. W. W. Jones is president; Capt. C. N. Baird, vice president; James Camp, secretary; Thomas Wingate, treasurer; W. L. Fairbrother, musical director; J. T. Jones, librarian, and M. T. Harmer, Charles Hovey and W. B. Baird, musical committee.
Capital City Cornet Band and Orchestra.--This body was organized August, 1879. The following are the officers, members, and instruments: J. H. Thomas, manager of brass band; Leon Baker, manager of orchestra; P. E. Everett, leader of brass; John Preston, E flat cornet; F. Wosika, E flat clarionet; F. Hortovec, B flat clarionet; P. E. Everett, solo B flat cornet; Frank Benedict, Albert Mudra, first and second cornet; L. Baker, solo alto; John Franklin, first alto; C. Ring, solo trombone; James Joush, first tenor; J. H. Thomas, tuba; S. Warner, bass drum; William Wilcox, tenor drum. Orchestra: F. Mosika, first violin; John Franklin, second violin; L. Baker, double bass; F. Hortovec, clarionet; P. E. Everett, cornet; C. Ring, trombone.
The fact that Lincoln is the political center of the State has caused it to a great extent, to become the commercial center. It is growing very rapidly, is building up a large wholesale trade in many lines, and is becoming a manufacturing and distributing point of importance. Its bank deposits amount to over a million of dollars per annum, and its real estate transfers to twice that amount. The city is extending its limits in all directions, especially to the south. In the wholesale grocery business the transactions amount to $2,000,000 and in the agricultural implement line to $1,500,000. Lincoln is the chief distributing point for this class of manufactures. Her trade in flour and feed amounts to over $250,000 while the dealings in wholesale iron and hardware mount well up to this figure. The wholesale liquor trade equals a quarter of a million dollars, besides which, in order to form an estimate of the immense amount of business transacted annually, there must be taken into account such items as the manufacture of cigars, iron works, the carriage and wagon shops and the multitude of transactions in the retail lines of trade. A detailed account of all these things will be found in the biographical department, but for the sake of bringing out more prominently the representative houses in Lincoln, sketches are given below in the general history,
Commensurate with its business importance Lincoln is abundantly furnished with banking facilities. The pioneer establishment was that of James Sweet & Brock, which dates from June, 1868. They conducted the business until July, 1871, when the State Bank of Nebraska was organized, Samuel G. Owen, James Sweet and Nelson C. Brock, proprietors. In January, 1872, the State National Bank commenced business, there being no change in capital. Mr. Sweet acted at the time as State Treasurer.
The first directors and officers were: James Sweet, V. P., John Gillespie, John N. Cassell, Joseph T. Thompson, Nelson C. Brock, cashier, Samuel G. Owen, president. The present officers are: J. R. Richards, president; N. C. Brock, vice-president; L. C. Richards, cashier; E. E. Brown, S. W. Little, D. B. Alexander, H. L. Smith (Geneva, Neb.), directors. The following is a statement of the condition of the State Bank in December, 1871, just prior to the time it was organized as a National bank:
Bills receivable, $104,372.45; call loans, $9,000.00; overdrafts, $1,590.49; State bonds, $4,375.55; due from national banks, $96,308.78; due from bankers, $5,076.49; banking house, $15,000.00; furniture, $1,594.27; real estate, $11,00.000; gold, $427.89; expense, $965.355; salary account, $1,783.28; currency, $425.49; revenue stamps, $516.80; legal tender notes, $32,750.00, Total, $285,264.84.
Liabilities.--Capital stock, $50,000.00; United States bonds, $50,000.00; due bankers, $578.16; bills payable, $928.00; exchange, $914.10; interest, $6,850.54;: profit and loss, $1,729.25; premiums, $8,000.00; due depositors, $166,264.89. Total, $285,264.84.
In marked contrast to the above statement is the last report of the State Bank for the year ending March 11, 1882:
Resources.--Loans and discounts, $475,858.71; overdrafts, $7,236.82; U. S. Bonds to secure circulation, $50,000.00; other stocks, bonds and mortgages, $20,877.76; due from approved reserve agents, $38,571.40; due from other National Banks, $9,736.37; due from State Banks and bankers, $4,678.25; real estate, furniture and fixtures, $45,590.46; current expenses and taxes paid, $1,172.35; checks and other cash items, $1,602.56; bills of other banks, $6,181.00; fractional paper currency, nickels and pennies, $132.40; specie, $9,360.30; legal tender notes, $36,000.00; redemption fund with U. S. Treasurer five per cent of circulation, $2,250.00. Total, $709,278.38.
Liabilities.--Capital stock paid in, $50,000.00; surplus fund, $50,000.00; undivided profits, $6,891.00; National Bank notes outstanding, $45,000.00; dividends unpaid, $250.00; individual deposits subject check, $346,966.66; demand certificates of deposit, $132,321.00; due to other National Banks, $11,234.70; due State Banks and bankers, $46,614.43--$537,136.79.--Notes and bills re-discounted, $20,000.00. Total, $709,278.38.
First National Bank.-Amasa Cobb and J. F. Sudduth commenced a banking business a short time before the organization of the First National which was chartered February 24, 1871 and commenced business immediately afterward. The original capital was $50,000, and was, in December, 1881, increased to $100,000. Amasa Cobb was the first president, and J. F. Sudduth cashier. The other members of the board of directors were: Robert D. Silvers, A. L. Palmer, W. W. Field, and John Cadman, all residents of Lincoln. The present officers are: John Fitzgerald, president; John R. Clark, cashier; D. D. Muir, assistant cashier; R. C. Cushing and A. E. Touzalin, directors. The following is a statement of the bank's condition, April 19, 1872: Loans and discounts, $87,177.63; overdrafts, $1,400.54; U. S. Bonds, $50,000; bonds on hand, $6,400; stock and mortgages, 18,551.90; due from agents, $18,501.81; due from other national banks, $3,501.54; due from other banks and bankers, $4,147.47; banking houses, $10,625.45; furniture, $2,215.65; current expenses, $105.30; premiums, $4,690.62; cash items, $1,006.83; bills of other banks, $596; fractional currency, $234.10; gold, $815.20; legal tender notes, $23,000; total, $232,969.97. Capital stock, $50,000; surplus fund, $10,000; exchange, $251.24; interest, $586.77; undivided profits, $325.32; circulation, $45,000; deposits, $123,865.76; due national banks, $2,786.94; Government tax unpaid, $153-94; total, $232,969.97.
As an interesting contra to the first exhibit of the financial condition of the First National Bank, the following statement is given for the year ending March 11, 1882.
Resources.--Loans and discounts, $607,822.74; overdrafts $15,956.84; U. S. Bonds to secure circulation, $50,000; other stocks, bonds and mortgages, $7,117.33; due from approved reserve agents, $48,875.78; due from other National Banks, $32,233.47; due from State Banks and bankers, $3,125.76; real estate, furniture and fixtures, $35,000; current expenses and taxes paid, $4,852.53; checks and other cash items, $12,734.74; bills of other banks, $6,256; fractional paper currency, nickels, and pennies, $23.20; specie, $31,776.80; legal tender notes, $23,000; redemption fund with U. S. Treasurer five per cent of circulation, $2,250; total, $881,725.19.
Liabilities.--Capital stock paid in , $100,000; surplus fund, $25,000; undivided profits, $11,015.87; National Bank notes outstanding, $45,000; individual deposits subject to check, $316,462.04; demand certificates of deposit, $103,282.87; time certificates of deposit, $111,956.85; due to other National Banks, $4,803.80; due State banks and bankers, $93,703.76, $630,209.32; notes and bills re-discounted, $70,500; total, $881,725.19.
Marsh Brothers & Mosher, private bankers, established themselves in Lincoln, October 1, 1878. The firm is composed of C. W. Marsh, W. W. Marsh and R. C. Outcalt. The capital stock is $50,000. They do a general banking business and have so prospered that the bank has just been established in new and elegant quarters.
There are a number of splendidly conducted hotels in Lincoln and many which meet the moderate wants of the general public. Those which lead are the Commercial Hotel, Arlington and Oriental. For sketches of other public houses reference is made to the biographical department of this work.
Corner Eleventh & P. Sts.
J. J. Imhoff, Proprietor
Good Sample Rooms on First Floor
Commercial Hotel.--The original building was erected several years before J. J. Imhoff came into possession of it in November, 1872. It was then known as the Douglas House, and had a frontage of forty-four feet on Eleventh street. Additions have since been made repeatedly until its dimensions are now 150x108 ½ feet. It contains 135 rooms with accommodations for from 200 to 250 guests. Mr. Imhoff has some $85,000 invested in this metropolitan public house and is famous all over the western country for the perfection of his accommodations.
Arlington House.--Situated corner of Ninth and Q streets. is comparatively a new building, and is managed in first class style. The building was completed in the spring of 1880 by J. S. Atwood, its present owner, at a cost of $30,000. Joseph Opelt was the first landlord, its present proprietor being J. G. McIntyre. The Arlington House finds accommodations for 150 guests, having seventy rooms. Its dimensions are 110x110 feet.
Oriental Hotel.--This building, a fine two-story structure, with mansard roof, is situated on the southwest corner of K and Thirteenth streets. It was erected in 1871 and purchased by J. N. Townley, its present proprietor, in October, 1881. It is maintained in elegant style, contains fifty-four rooms, and will accommodate 150 guests.