Physical Character | Early Settlement | Indian Troubles|
County Organization | Official Roster | County Statistics|
Railroads | District Schools | Taxation
County Poor Department | County Societies
Lincoln: Early History | Incorporation | Official Roster|
City Institutions | Post Office
Lincoln (cont.): University of Nebraska|
Lincoln (cont.): University of Nebraska (cont.)|
Lincoln (cont.): Insane Hospital|
Nebraska State Penitentiary | The Second Revolt
Lincoln (cont.): Public Schools | Fire Department|
The Press | Churches
Lincoln (cont.): Societies, Associations, Etc.|
Temperance Societies | Musical Societies
Business Interests | Banks | Hotels
Lincoln (cont.): |
Wholesale and Manufacturing Establishments
Biographical Sketches- ABBOTT~ALLEN
10 - 24:
** Lincoln Biographical Sketches ** (cont.)|
| ALFORD~BONNELL | BOHANON~CARR |
| CARTER~CUMMINGS | DAILEY~FEDEWA |
| FULLER~GRIMM | GULICK~HOGE |
| HOLMES~KEELER | KELLY~McCONNIFF |
| McCORD~NANCE | NEWMAN~PHILLIPS |
| PHILPOTT~RANDLE | RAYMOND~SCOTT |
| SEATON~STRICKLAND | SWAN~WALSH |
| WEBER~WUNDERLICH |
Bennet: Churches | Societies ||
| Biographical Sketches - ALLSTOT~GRIBLING
Bennett: Biographical Sketches - HANSON~PIPER|
Bennett: Biographical Sketches - RHEA~WILSON|
Waverly: Biographical Sketches|
Firth: Biographical Sketches|
Roca | Other Points
Grant Precinct | Saltillo Precinct | Stockton Precinct
List of Illustrations in Lancaster County Chapter
(RAYMOND thru SCOTT)
ISAAC M. RAYMOND came to Lincoln, in December, 1871. He was born in Schenectady, N. Y., and moved from there to Waterloo, Iowa. In 1865, he moved to Waverly, Iowa, and in 1871, to Lincoln. He has engaged in the grocery business since 1862, being in the retail line prior to the establishment of the wholesale business in Lincoln. He was one of the stock holders, a director and vice president of the State National Bank. He is now interested in the Exchange Bank, at Hastings, Raymond Bros. & Yeazel, proprietors. He is one of the projectors of the Lincoln and Fremont R. R. Company, and is vice-president of the Company.
AARON S. RAYMOND, wholesale grocer, came to Nebraska, in 1873. He has engaged in the wholesale grocery business, having been a partner in the firm of Raymond Bros., since January 11, 1872. Before coming here he carried on a retail grocery business for a number of years. He was born in Schenectady County, N. Y. He is a member of the banking firm of Raymond Bros. & Yeazel of Hastings, Neb. One of the directors of the Lincoln & Fremont R. R., and treasurer of the Lincoln Board of Trade.
J. F. RAWLINGS, locomotive engineer, B. & M. R. R., in Nebraska. Was born in Berks County, Pa., November 18, 1849, his parents moved to Lawrence County, Pa., about 1855, where he received his education. In February, 1862, he enlisted in Company H, Seventy-seventh Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, and was mustered out in 1865, he returned to Pennsylvania, and commenced railroading on the Pittsburgh & Fort Wayne R. R. In 1866, he was firing on the Pan Handle route, in 1869, he engaged in the service of the Illinois Central R. R., in Iowa. Was with the B. & M. R. R. for a short time in 1870, then followed his profession in different parts of the United States, until 1881, when he returned to Nebraska. He was married in Fairplay, Wis., October 19, 1873, to Miss Phemie Franklin of Dubuque, Iowa. They have two children: Walter and Mable. Mr. R. is a member of the K. of P. of Missouri.
E. C. REWICK, loan agent, came to Lincoln, in January, 1881, and has been engaged in his present business since. He was born in North Granby, Hartford Co., Conn., October 21, 1851. That was his home until 1870, when he removed to Troy, N. Y., residing there until he came to Nebraska. He was married at Troy, N. Y., October 9, 1877, to Mary A. Leckie, a native of Cohoes, N. Y. They have one child, William Leckie. Mr. R. is a member of the A., F. & A. M., being a Master Mason.
P. COURSEY RICHARDS, general agent of the Mutual Benefit Association of Council Bluffs, Iowa, was born in Shenandoah Valley, Va., March 15, 1840, at which time his father owned two large plantations. He served two years at the saddler's trade in Martinsburgh, Pa., after which he wandered through the Southern and Middle States. Mr. R. educated himself. In the winter of his fifteenth year he taught a large school in Illinois. He was next engaged in peddling tin for G. W. Lininger, who now resides in Omaha, Neb. In 1858 he settled in Peru, Neb., and engaged in managing a drug store, at the same time studying theology, and was afterwards engaged in preaching in Oregon Circuit in Missouri. While engaged in this profession he contracted the disease known as tonsilites, that at the end of the first year compelled him to withdraw and leave those to whom he was becoming very much attached. He then engaged in assisting his father-in-law, J. P. Baker, agent of the Otoe and Missouri Indians. When the war broke out he volunteered as a private in the First Nebraska Cavalry, Company C, afterwards know as the Fifth Iowa Cavalry; was promoted step by step until he reached Quartermaster Sergeant on non-commissioned staff, when he took command of a section of flying artillery; was at Fort Henry, Donelson, Paris, Pittsburg Landing, Haines Landing, opening of the blockade of the Tennessee River, Humboldt, Clarksville, second battle of Dover, and Murfreesboro. Here he fell a victim to disease, after which he convalesced and rendered valuable service to the country in detached service. On receiving an honorable discharge for disability and expiration of service, he came home broken down. One special action we may mention in particular as occurring during his service. He rode sixty-five miles at on time through a country infested with guerrillas, and succeeded in rescuing fourteen of our men held as prisoners in a starving condition. After his return home he went across the plains to Salt Lake City, remaining about eight months. On his return he again attempted to carry on preaching in the Oregon Circuit, but was again prostrated by his previous disease, which became chronic, and he was obliged to undergo the severe operation of having his tonsils cut out, which was successfully done by Dr. Crane of Brownsville. In 1865 he was appointed Register by the Governor; he was also elected Assessor, and served several terms as City Councilman. He came to Lincoln in the winter of 1880, and engaged in the real estate and insurance business; received an appointment in the Secretary of State's office during the session. He was appointed to his present position in the spring of 1882. He was married in Peru, Neb., in June, 1860, to Miss Lizzie Baker, daughter of J. P. Baker, Indian Agent. She died in Peru, leaving five children, Amy F., May M. E., Anna Loura, Henry C. and John W., the latter now dead. He was married to his present wife in Peru, Neb., in May, 1873; she was Miss Cornelia Wiles, of Peru. They have one child living, Frank; they have lost three, two daughters and one son, Gertie, Daisy and Milton, who died in Peru. Mr. R. is a member of Farragut Post No. 25 G. A. R.
ARNOTT C. RICKETTS, attorney at law, was born at Findlay, Ohio, March 18, 1845. Served in Company E, One Hundred and Thirty-fourth Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry, in 1864. Received his literary education at Adrian College, Michigan, graduating with the class of '71, and his legal education at the Michigan University, being a member of the law class of '72. Mr. R. located in Lincoln, Neb., in July, 1872, where he has since continued the practice of law. He was married at Adrian, Mich., May 1, 1873, to Louisa M. Lowe, a native of Cherry Valley, N. Y., who was also a member of the class of '71 of Adrian College. They have two children, Ena Kate, born September 26, 1875, and Lowe Arnott, born December 17, 1877. Mr. and Mrs. R. are members of the Methodist Church.
AUSTIN RILEY, farmer, was born in Ireland, and came to America in 1851 and worked in different business until 1857, when he came to Bellevue, Neb.; remained there for about two years, working by the day at stone mason work building a church, and from thence went to Missouri, contracting; remained there for a short time, and in 1866 came to Nebraska the second time and purchased a farm of 145 acres in Section 18, Town 10, Range 8, east of where Lincoln is now located, and is still working it, and worked on the Capitol for a short time, and afterwards purchased a farm of 145 acres in Section 8, Town 10, Range 18; farmed that for a short time and purchased another of 160 acres, which he now owns, and all under cultivation with improvements, and is now turning his attention to stock raising. His farms are one mile apart. He was married in Galena, Ill., in 1854. They have four children, Martin, Tommy, Austin and Mary.
L. H. ROBBINS, M. D., physician and surgeon, came to Lincoln, April 21, 1869, and has engaged in practice here ever since. He has been Government Surgeon for examination of pension applicants for twelve years. In 1875 he was elected president of the Nebraska State Medical Society. In 1869 he was elected president of the Lancaster County Medical Society, and is now secretary of the Lincoln Medical Society; the present membership is seventeen. He was born at Jerseyville, Ill., June 2, 1835, educated at St. Louis, and graduated from Missouri Medical College in 1862. He entered the army immediately after graduation as Acting Medical Inspector of the Army of the Tennessee, serving nearly four years. Returned to St. Louis and remained there until he came to Lincoln. He was married in St. Louis in May, 1866, to Augusta Wyckoff, a native of Jerseyville. She died in 1870, leaving one child, which died six months later. On March 7, 1876, he was married to his present wife, Miss Nannie Cole, of Marietta, Ohio. She was born in Virginia. They have two children, Leonard H. and Kate Park. The Doctor is a member of the State Medical Society and of the A., F. & A. M., also a member of the American Medical Association.
J. ROBERTS, manufacturer of boilers, tanks, portable and stationary engines, steam-fitting, shafting, hangers, cane mills, etc.; all kinds of repairs done promptly. Business established in 1878. He was born in England, March, 1843. He learned his trade at home, his father being a millwright. In 1872 he came to the United States and located in Lincoln, Neb., and followed the business of a millwright and machinist until he started for himself.
E. T. ROBERTS, funeral director and undertaker, and dealer in caskets, robes, badges, gloves, etc. Business established in 1878 by Mr. R. Was born near Utica, N. Y., February 4, 1839. He resided in various places in New York State until about 1868, when he settled in Muskegon, Mich. From there he moved to St. Joseph, where he engaged in house, sign and carriage painting until 1873, in which year he settled in Lincoln, Neb., and took a position in a furniture house. In 1876 he was taken in as partner, under the firm name of Crabbe & Roberts. This continued one year; then Mr. Roberts retired. He was married in Camden, N. Y., July 25, 1860, to Miss Josephine Barber, of Oneida County, N. Y. She died leaving one child, Walton Grant Roberts. He was married to his present wife in Lincoln in October, 1874. She was a Miss Carrie Cleveland, of Yates County, N. Y. Mr. R. is a member of the Episcopal Church, of the A., F. & A. M. of Lincoln, and is "V. C." of the K. of P.
ARTEMUS ROBERTS, architect, was born at Richmond, Ind., October 28, 1841. lived there until 1852, when his parents moved with their family to Pendleton, Madison Co., Ind. That was his home until 1863, when he entered Michigan University, at Ann Arbor. Graduated from that institution in 1867, and returned to Richmond, Ind., and there practiced his profession of architect. He made engineering and architecture a special study the last year he was at college. In February, 1870, he came to Lincoln, Neb., and soon after locating here he began architectural work. He designed some furniture for the executive offices at the State House. Afterward built the Commercial Block, High School building, State Normal School building at Peru; High School building, at Seward, bank block, and residence of Claudius Jones, at Seward; school building at Harvard, Inland, Kenesaw, Sutton and Bennett; Smith Bros.' bank at Beatrice; Capitol block; Lancaster Co. bank building, Davis & Alexander block, Davis Bros. building, Haas & Winger block, Kingman block, Zehrung's block, City block, Odd Fellows' building, and other minor works. He also did a great deal of the Government work at the Indiana Agencies, Industrial School houses, Agents' houses, etc. Soon after the grasshopper visitation of 1874 he went on his farm in Lancaster Precinct, Section 33, Township 10, Range 7, where he now resides; it being one of the best improved farms in the county. He has an orchard of over 940 fruit trees. His residence is one of the finest farmhouses in the county; it is built in Italian style of architecture, and was completed in 1881. Mr. R. was married in Dover, Bureau Co., Ill., in November, 1867, to Elizabeth Bellangee, a native of that place. She died at Lincoln, April 14, 1872, leaving two children, William C. and Artemus L. In November, 1874, Mr. R. married Mary B. Bellangee, a sister of his first wife, and also a native of Dover. They have four children, John M., James Russell, Daniel Edward, and Charles W. Mr. R. served two terms as City Engineer. He has an office in the city, and is actively engaged in his duties as architect.
JACOB ROCKE, proprietor Washington Hotel. This hotel was built by Henry Veith in 1881, and purchased by Mr. Rocke, in October, 1881. The house contains twenty-one rooms, and can accommodate sixty guests. Mr. Jacob Rocke was born in the Province of Rhine, Germany, September 23, 1844. He came to the United States in 1850, and settled in Tazewell County, Ill. Enlisted in 1862 in Company H, Ninety-fourth Regiment Illinois Volunteer Infantry. Served at Vicksburg, in the Gulf Expedition and in Texas. Was mustered out in 1865. He returned to Illinois and from there moved to Nebraska in 1869, located in Lancaster County and engaged in farming. Moved into Lincoln in 1879. He kept the Farmers' Hotel until he took the present building. Mr. R. is a member of the G. A. R., I. O. O. F., and of the Harmonic Society.
CHARLES A. ROEHRIG, with the County Surveyor, came to Lincoln in July, 1871. He was engaged in the B. & M. R. R. Land Office for about four years, and in the County Clerk's office for a similar period, as deputy and tax accountant. He is now employed in the County Clerk and County Surveyor's office. He was born in Pekin, Ill., April 17, 1855, and lived at Peoria, Ill., until he came to Nebraska. In 1872 he was away from Lincoln with a Government surveying party, and in 1873 he lived awhile at St. Louis. He was married in Lincoln, November 10, 1881, to Mary Riordan, a native of Meadville, Pa. He is a member of the A., F. & A. M., Blue Lodge.
EDWARD P. ROGGEN, Deputy Secretary of State, came to Nebraska in 1866. He was born in Pittsburgh, Pa., November 13, 1847, and lived there until 1856, when he went to Cleveland, Ohio. He was educated at the Western Reserve College Hudson Ohio, and in the Cleveland schools. He lived at Cleveland up to 1866, the year in which he came West. In 1868 he located in Omaha, engaging in engineering and surveying until 1870, when he was appointed chief clerk in the Secretary of State's office. Since 1875 he has been Deputy. He enlisted in Company F, One Hundred and Seventy-seventh Ohio Volunteer Infantry, September 10, 1864, and served until July 7, 1865, in the Twenty-third Army Corps. For one year he was City Clerk of Lincoln; being first appointed and then elected. He is Assistant Adjutant-General on the Staff of the Governor. He is a member of the G. A. R., K. of P., K. of H., Royal Arcanum, and an honorary member of the Germania and Harmonic Societies of Lincoln, Neb. He was married in Lincoln, Neb., August 31, 1875, to Mrs. Helen G. Chaffee, a native of London, Canada; but reared in Ohio. Mr. R. has been longer connected with the State government than any other man now in office.
SOLOMON RYMAL, janitor, was born in 1835, at South Wentworth, Canada, and came to the United States in April, 1868, and went to Wisconsin, thence to Illinois, where he was engaged in the carpenter business, and in 1867, came to Omaha, Neb., remained there a short time, and then went to Wyoming, and was employed by the Government, building, at Fort Saunders, and from there went to Illinois, and in the spring of 1868, came to Lincoln, and worked at his trade. In 1878, was appointed as janitor to the State Capitol. Was married in Illinois, in 1867, to Mary J. Cramer, who was born in South Wentworth, Canada, and came to the United State with her parents. Has two children living--Salomy Adelty, and Tamma--both girls. Belongs to the A. Order of Free Masons, Lincoln Lodge No. 19, and was made a Mason at Amicia Lodge No. 25, Shellsburg, Wis.
JOHN C. SALSBERY, locomotive engineer of the B. & M. R. R., Neb., was born in Troy, N. Y., September, 16, 1845. In 1859 he moved to Fort Wayne, Ind., and worked for the Wabash Company. In 1862 he engaged in the locomotive department of the Government service, in which he continued for several years. About 1867 he engaged with the H. & St. Joe R. R., and in 1877 changed over to the A. & N. R. R. Has had charge of an engine for fourteen years. He was married in Hannibal, Mo., April 30, 1879, to Miss M. Augusta Parker, of the city. They have one child, Edna C., born in Kansas City, Mo., December 30, 1880. Mr. S. is a member of the A., F. & A. M., and of the K. of P. of Missouri.
E. H. SALSBURY, contractor, was born in Bradford County, Pa., in 1857. Since leaving school he has been principally engaged in building. Moved to Lincoln from Illinois in 1870, and helped to build the Insane Asylum, as well as other public and private dwellings. He built the Calvert Hotel, at Calvert, Nemaha Co., which is a credit to the builder, having built the same in less time than he contracted for. Was married in 1874 to Miss Eliza Van Dorn. Have one child, Elizabeth. Belongs to Lincoln Lodge, No. 19, also Knights of Pythias; Financial Recorder to Temple of Honor. Mrs. S. also belongs to the Ancient Order of the Eastern Star, as associate, and both are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. In 1876 Mr. S. was appointed Assessor for Capital Precinct, and was re-elected last year.
A. A. SARGENT & CO., proprietors of the Lincoln steam soap factory. He is one of the pioneers of the State. Came to Nebraska City in July, 1869, and there engaged in the soap business and in March, 1879, came to Lincoln and rented this factory and took into partnership with him his son, Chester D., who was raised and educated at Nebraska City and graduated at the college there. The factory is one of the largest in the State and has a capacity for turning out some 10,000 pounds of soap per week, besides a few brands of toilet soaps. He does a large shipping trade amounting to some $20,000 per annum, and all their soaps give general satisfaction. At the time that Mr. S. came to the State he purchased a farm of 160 acres of land in Otoe County, seventy acres of which is under cultivation and highly improved.
A. J. SAWYER, attorney at law, came to Lincoln in the fall of 1875 and has practiced here since. He was born at Ottawa, La Salle Co., Ill., October 5, 1844. That was his home until he was two or three years old when he went to Earlville, Ill., and lived there two or three years. From there he went to Chatfield, Minn., where he stayed until he was twenty-one years old, returning then to Ottawa. There he read law with Hollister & Jones and was admitted to the bar by the Supreme Court of Illinois in 1867. He was Superintendent of the Fifth Ward School at Ottawa for a while and afterward Superintendent of Schools at Sandwich, Ill., for four years and later at Mendota, Ill., for five years. Came from the latter place to Lincoln. He was a member of the firm of Hunter & Sawyer until the decease of Mr. Hunter, in 1880, since which time he has practiced alone. He was married at Mendota in June, 1875, to Winona S. Branch. Mr. S. is a member of the I. O. O. F., A., F. & A. M., and of the Commandery.
HON. A. G. SCOTT, attorney at law, was born in St. Clair County, Ill., August 25, 1848. Lived there until 1865, when he entered the Illinois Wesleyan University and graduated from that institution in 1869. He afterward pursued the study of law at Bloomington, Ill., in the office of Maj. Packard, and was admitted to the bar at Omaha, Neb., in June, 1872. Mr. S. located in Lincoln, May 14, 1872. He has served one year in 1874 and 1875, as County Superintendent of schools. Was also County Judge for two years from 1876 to January, 1878. The Judge is now vice president of the Lincoln Gas Light Company and engaged in the practice of his profession at Lincoln. He was married at Bloomington, Ill., February 13, 1873 to Mary S. Maxwell, a native of Lacon, Ill. They have three children, Laura M., Grace L., and Maxwell C.
NAHUM S. SCOTT, attorney and City Engineer, came to Lincoln, July 26, 1869, and removed his family here in April, 1870. He has been engaged in law practice and civil engineering since he located here. For nine months he was Justice of the Peace to fill a vacancy. He served two years as Alderman from the Third Ward and has been city engineer since April, 1881. He was born at Marcellus, Onondaga Co., N. Y., August 5, 1824. When about one year old he went to Almond, Allegany Co., N. Y., and resided there until 1850, when he went to Steuben County, N. Y. In 1854 he removed to Forestville, Chautauqua Co., N. Y., living there until he came to Nebraska. He raised Company C, One Hundred and Twelfth New York Volunteer Infantry and was commissioned Captain of that company. He entered service September 11, 1862, and served until he resigned on account of disability, May 27, 1864. From July, 1863, to February, 1864, he was on recruiting duty at Elmira, N. Y. He was in the battle of Zuni, Carrsville, Moore's Run, Suffolk, Windsor and many other minor engagements. At Suffolk they fought every day for a month He was married at Almond, Allegany Co., N. Y., April 15, 1850, to Emily R. Wardner, a native of Perry, N. Y. They have one child, Winifield Sherman. They lost two, Charles E., who died May 4, 1872 and Philip, who died in infancy.