Physical Character | Early Settlement | Indian Troubles|
County Organization | Official Roster | County Statistics|
Railroads | District Schools | Taxation
County Poor Department | County Societies
Lincoln: Early History | Incorporation | Official Roster|
City Institutions | Post Office
Lincoln (cont.): University of Nebraska|
Lincoln (cont.): University of Nebraska (cont.)|
Lincoln (cont.): Insane Hospital|
Nebraska State Penitentiary | The Second Revolt
Lincoln (cont.): Public Schools | Fire Department|
The Press | Churches
Lincoln (cont.): Societies, Associations, Etc.|
Temperance Societies | Musical Societies
Business Interests | Banks | Hotels
Lincoln (cont.): |
Wholesale and Manufacturing Establishments
Biographical Sketches- ABBOTT~ALLEN
10 - 24:
** Lincoln Biographical Sketches ** (cont.)|
| ALFORD~BONNELL | BOHANON~CARR |
| CARTER~CUMMINGS | DAILEY~FEDEWA |
| FULLER~GRIMM | GULICK~HOGE |
| HOLMES~KEELER | KELLY~McCONNIFF |
| McCORD~NANCE | NEWMAN~PHILLIPS |
| PHILPOTT~RANDLE | RAYMOND~SCOTT |
| SEATON~STRICKLAND | SWAN~WALSH |
| WEBER~WUNDERLICH |
Bennet: Churches | Societies ||
| Biographical Sketches - ALLSTOT~GRIBLING
Bennett: Biographical Sketches - HANSON~PIPER|
Bennett: Biographical Sketches - RHEA~WILSON|
Waverly: Biographical Sketches|
Firth: Biographical Sketches|
Roca | Other Points
Grant Precinct | Saltillo Precinct | Stockton Precinct
List of Illustrations in Lancaster County Chapter
(CARTER thru CUMMINGS)
JAMES O. CARTER, M. D., physician, came to Lincoln in October, 1871 and engaged in practice. For the last six years he has been penitentiary surgeon. For a few years he was physician for the county farm. He was born at Essex, Union Co., Ohio, August 7, 1832, and was educated at Starling Medical College, Columbus, Ohio. Graduated there in 1860 and commenced practice three years before he graduated. He served as surgeon in the One Hundred and Sixty-third and One Hundred and Sixty-sixth Ohio Volunteer Infantry from 1861 to January, 1864. He then returned to Marion County, Ohio, and practiced until he came to Nebraska. He was married at Newton, Marion Co., Ohio, in July 1852, to Anice A. Pooler, a native of Macdonough, Chenango Co., N. Y., born January 13, 1833. They have five children, Charles M. Phoebe A., now Mrs. Charles F. Damrow, of Lincoln, Allie, Roena A., and James R. He is a member of A., F. & A. M., and the County and State Medical Societies. Also of the Ohio State Medical Society and of G. A. R.
CHARLES M. CARTER, book-keeper of Commissioner Public Lands and Buildings, came to Lincoln in October, 1871, and engaged in the drug business until January, 1880. Since then he has been in the Commissioner's office. He was born at Marion, Marion Co., Ohio, May 15, 1853 and lived there until he came to Nebraska. He is a member of the A., F. & A. M., Blue Lodge, Chapter and Commandery, and of the K. of P.
HENRY CARTER, drayman and transferer of mail, was born May 13, 1850, in Germany, where he was raised and educated. In 1868 came to the United States and located at Freeport, Ill., where he engaged in farming two years, attending school during winters. In the spring of 1870 removed to Fremont, Neb., where he served in the bakery business. In the fall of 1872 moved to Lincoln, Neb., where he started in the dray business, commencing with one horse and wagon and in 1873 was awarded the contract for carrying U. S. mails between the post office and depots of Lincoln. From year to year, as the increase of his business demanded, he has added to his stock and wagons and now owns thirteen wagons, twenty-seven head of horses, four head of cattle, two houses and lots in the city of Lincoln, also a two-story barn thirty by seventy-four feet and a farm of eighty acres of land. In the fall of 1874 went to Germany to visit his relatives, returning in the spring of 1875. Was married March 13, 1877, to Miss Amelia Breotzman, native of Germany, whose parents reside in Wisconsin.
WILLIAM F. CHAPIN, attorney and farmer, came to Nebraska in October 1856, and located at Rock Bluff, where he lived until 1867, occupied in farming and practice of law. He was a candidate for the Legislature in 1858, but was defeated. In 1859 he was elected. He became Speaker of the House in 1866. From 1859 to 1869 he served continuously in the Legislature. In 1867 he located on Section 8, Town 12, Range 9, in Saunders County. From 1869 to 1879 he resided in Lincoln. In 1869 he was appointed receiver of the United States Land Office and held that position until 1872. He was Mayor of Lincoln one term. He was a prominent candidate in the Republican State Convention for Governor, against Furnas, and was only defeated by three or four votes. He is now engaged in farming and practicing, especially land cases, living where he first located in Saunders County. He is a native of Butternuts, Oswego Co., N. Y., born May 22, 1831, and lived there until his father moved to Pennsylvania, where he lived until eighteen years old. He then returned to York State and 1855 he moved to Illinois. He taught school at Lexington and was admitted to the bar of Nebraska in 1857. He was married at Rock Bluff January, 1858, to Margaret J. Young. She was born in Platte County, Mo. They have four children, Lona C., now Mrs. Thomas J. Wilburn, of Cass County, Lucius W., May, and William F., Jr. Mr. Chapin is a member of I. O. O. F., the Grange and Farmers' Alliance.
E. P. CHILD, paints, oils, etc., commenced business in 1875, succeeding Robinson Bros. He carries a stock of $5,000. He was born in Batavia, N. Y., May 25, 1838. Entered the Rochester University in 1855. In 1858 he went south and engaged in the practice of medicine in different parts of Missouri and Arkansas for several years. During this time he returned to Rochester to attend a course of lectures, and came to Nebraska in 1862, locating in Omaha, and engaged in the drug business. In 1864 he took command of a light battery known as Battery A, engaged in service on the plains, and served until mustered out in June, 1865. He was member of Nebraska Legislature for the years 1865-66, County and Probate Judge of Jefferson County, Missouri, for years 1869-70-71. He was married in Ironton, Mo., September 10, 1861, to Miss Lucie Mitchell, of Ironton. They have seven children, Bertha K., Reta L., Annie, Julia, Fred W., Jene A. and Grace. Mr. Child is a member of the A., F. & A. M., Lodge, Chapter and Commandery.
ED. A. CHURCH & CO., wholesale and retail dealers in wall paper, window shades, paints, oils and glass. Firm composed of Ed. A. Church and S. E. Moore, business established in 1868 by Mr. Church. Mr. Moore entered the firm October 1, 1880. They keep eight men constantly employed and in the summer this force is increased to twenty or twenty-five. Carry a stock of $25,000 to $35,000 and the yearly sales aggregate $75,000 with a constantly increasing business. Ed. A. Church, of above firm, was born in Wiltshire, England, August 7, 1846, came to the United States in 1850 with his parents, they settled in Chicago, Ill., where he received his education. In 1861 he enlisted in the Fifty-seventh Regiment Illinois Volunteers, Company K., and served until the close of the war, being mustered out at Louisville, Ky., in 1865. During a large part of his term of service Mr. Church was employed in sketching for the illustrated papers, and also employed sketching in government matters. He returned to Chicago and from there moved to Nebraska in 1868, located in Lincoln and established present business, first dealing in paints and oils, the other features being added frome time to time. He was married in Lincoln July 4, 1872, to Miss Eliza Gardner, of Lincoln. They have two children, Frank and John. Mr. Church is a member of the A., F. & A. M., Lodge, Chapter and Commandery. Is P. H. P. of the Chapter. He is also a member of the School Board. Mr. S. E. Moore, of above firm, was born in Newark, Ohio, August 24, 1844, was engaged in mercantile business for a time and from 1873 to 1880 was engaged in sheep raising in Ohio. In the latter year removed to Nebraska, locating in Lincoln. He was married in Newark, Ohio, September 15, 1873, to Miss Bussey, of Licking County. They have two children, Charles and May.
JAMES A. CHUTE, bookkeeper Chicago Lumber Company, was born in Castine, Maine, November 12, 1850. His parents moved to Newburyport, Mass., where the subject of this sketch received his education. In 1872 he moved to Louisiana, Mo., and engaged in a lumber office, from there he moved to Kansas and engaged in the same business. In 1881 he settled in Lincoln, Neb., and took his present position. He was married in Louisiana, Mo., October 24, 1876, to Miss Mary S. Van Horn, of Louisiana. The Van Horns were originally form Pennsylvania, though old residents of Missouri.
J. C. CLARK, general agent for Nebraska for the Pekin Plow Company, T. & H. Smith wagons of Pekin, Aultman & Taylor Co., of Mansfield, Ohio, Romeo Carriage Company of Romeo, Mich., Manny, Bauer & Co., of St. Louis, sulky rakes, Chandler, Randall & Co., of Aurora, Ill., road cart. Mr. Clark was born in Moretown, Washington Co., Vt., August 18, 1832. About 1858 he moved to Brodhead, Greene Co., Wis., where he engaged in grain and stock dealing, about 1865 he moved to Cresco, Iowa, three years later he settled in Janesville, Wis., and from there he moved to Nebraska in 1871, located in Lincoln, and engaged in business as wholesale and retail dealer in agricultural implements until about 1879, when he sold out his retail trade and continued in the wholesale business. He was married in Lowell, Mass., February 26, 1851, to Miss Ellen A. Spofford of Lowell. They have two children, Sarah M., now Mrs. J. T. Jones and Emma J. Mr. C. is a member of the A., F. & A. M., of Lincoln.
JOHN R. CLARK, cashier of the First National Bank, came to Nebraska in the spring of 1866 and engaged in banking in Plattsmouth. In 1874 he came to Lincoln, and was elected cashier of the First National bank. He was born at Cambridge, Guernsey Co., Ohio, November 3, 1842. He lived in Ohio until he entered the army in 1861 as Second Lieutenant of Company B, Fifteenth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, when he resigned in 1863 on account of ill health. He was First Lieutenant of Company A, same regiment. He carried on a banking business in Cambridge for about two years prior to coming to Nebraska, being cashier of the First National Bank there.
CLASON & FLETCHER, wholesale and retail books, stationery, toys, etc. The business was established in 1879 by C. S. Clason, present firm organized in July, 1881. They carry a stock of about $10,000. W. O. Fletcher, of Clason & Fletcher, was born in Augusta, Me., May 19, 1843. Received his education at Wesleyan Seminary, Redfield, Me. In 1863 he settled in Green Lake County, Wis., taught school there and in Jefferson County about three years, and then removed to Louisiana, Mo., where he took charge of a college, a position he retained until 1870, he then took the position of School Superintendent at Chillicothe, Mo. In 1871 returned to Maine and was principal of the high schools at Warren, Rockland and Biddeford, Me., at different times, was also secretary and treasurer of the Maine State Educational Association, and a director in the National Educational Society Headquarters at Boston, Mass. Came to Nebraska in 1881 and settled at Lincoln, and the firm of Clason & Fletcher was formed. He was married at Onarga, Ill., June 16, 1869, to Miss E. J. Conrad of Onarga. Mrs. Fletcher's father was one of the first ministers in the Territory of Wisconsin, and organized the first Baptist Church in the city of Milwaukee. They have three children, Clarence C., Lulu H., Edward C. Mr. F. is a member of the Baptist Church of Lincoln.
HON. AMASA COBB, Judge of the Supreme Court, came to Nebraska, March 13, 1871, and engaged in the banking business and in practice. He also has several stock farms in the county of Lancaster. He served one term as Mayor of Lincoln, was elected Judge of the Supreme Court in June, 1878, and in the fall of 1879 was re-elected for six years. He was born near Palestine, Crawford Co., Ill., September 27, 1823, and resided in that county until 1841. He spent one year in Terre Haute, Ind., and in the fall 1842 went to Fair Play, Grant Co., Wis., and engaged in mining operations there and in Jo Daviess County, Ill., until 1846. He then removed to Iowa County, Wis., mining, and all the time reading and practicing law more or less. In the spring of 1847 he enlisted in the Sixth Illinois Regiment for the Mexican war. In the fall of 1848, after the war, he returned to Highland, Wis., and followed his profession in his residence at Highland. He served as justice of the peace, Postmaster, notary public and twice as district attorney. In the spring of 1853 he moved to Mineral Point. In 1854 he ran for the State Senate and served one term. He was Adjutant General from 1856 to 1859. In the fall of 1859 he was nominated for the Assembly and elected. In 1860 he was re-elected and made Speaker of the House. In May, 1861, he was commissioned by the Government to raise a regiment, and he organized the Fifth Wisconsin Infantry which he commanded as Colonel. He mustered in July, 1861, and served as Colonel until December 28, 1862. In the fall of 1862 he was elected member of Congress, but remained with his regiment until it went into winter quarters. After the adjournment of Congress in July, 1864, he was commissioned Colonel of the Forty-third Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry. He was re-elected to Congress that fall, upon leave of absence he occupied his seat in the House during the winter of 1864-5, rejoining his command in April. He was mustered out at Milwaukee in July, 1865, bringing back the Forty-third without losing a man by accident. In 1866-68 he was again re-elected. During his congressional service he retained his law practice, which he abandoned to remove to Nebraska.
BENJAMIN F. COBB, attorney and abstracter of titles; was born in Jerusalem, Southampton Co., Va., December 5, 1850; lived there until he was about seventeen years of age, then resided in Washington, D. C., where he held a position in the Interior Department until he came to Lincoln, September 1, 1872. He was employed as teller in the First National Bank of Lincoln for two years; afterwards for two years he was clerk in the law office of Cobb & Marquette. He is now one of the Justices of the Peace of this city.
P. H. COOPER, ice dealer, is a native of New York, and was born in Dutchess County, April 11, 1833; was there reared until attaining his twenty-second year, when he came to Grant County, Wis., taking up his abode in Platteville, where he was manager of the powder interests of the well-known firm of Laflin, Smith & Co., with whom he had been employed in New York. In 1862 he removed to Omaha, Neb., and engaged in freighting across the plains, in which capacity he was prominently identified for several years. In 1869 came to Lincoln, which was then in its infancy, and embarked in the ice trade, a business that he has built up with the growth and development of the city and made a well-merited success. In 1874 Mr. Cooper was the people's choice for City Marshal of Lincoln, and the duties of this office he discharged for three consecutive terms. Few men in Lincoln and throughout Lancaster County are more favorably known. He married, in 1855, Miss Sarah Hill, of Ulster County, N. Y. They have three children, Willard, Ida and John. Ida is the wife of Mr. E. B. Hyde.
COOPER & CO., wholesale and retail dealers in iron and wood pumps. Business established in 1876 by Mr. Cooper; present firm organized in February, 1882. W. J. Cooper, of above firm, was born in Oneida County, N. Y., January 9, 1837. About 1845 his parents moved to Kane County, N. Y.; from there, in 1849, to Kendall County, Ill., and in 1866 finally settled in Livingston County. The subject of this sketch enlisted in 1862 in Company H, Eighty-ninth Regiment Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and served until mustered out in 1865. He returned to Kendall County, Ill., and from there he moved to Nebraska in 1869; settled in Lincoln, and engaged in livery business until 1871, when he commenced in the pump line. He was married in Kendall County, Ill., to Miss Eliza Skinner, a native of Oneida County, N. Y. They have one child, Gilbert. Mr. C. is a member of the I. O. O. F. and of the G. A. R.
D.G. COURTNAY, attorney-at-law, came to Lincoln in the fall of 1877. He was born in New York City, October 8, 1853. That was his home until he was thirteen years of age, when he located at Belvidere, Ill. He resided there until he came to Nebraska. He was educated at Beloit, Wis., being a graduate of Beloit College; and read law with Charles E. Fuller, of Belvidere, Ill. He was married at Lincoln, in September, 1878, to Martha Irene Atkins, a native of Canada. They have one child, Irene.
J. C. CROOKER, attorney-at-law, came to Lincoln in November, 1879, and has been engaged in practice and money-loaning since. He was born at Woodstock, Vt., January 16, 1820, and received his education at Capt. Partridge's Military University, at Norwich, Vt., graduating in 1843. He afterward engaged in teaching, and took charge of a military institute at Harrisburg, Pa., in 1844. Having read law in New Hampshire and Vermont, he was in 1848 admitted to the bar in the former State, and afterward in Vermont and Massachusetts. He practiced in and near Boston until 1856, when he came West and settled at Mendota, Ill., residing there until he came to Nebraska. In 1860 he purchased the Mendota Observer, a weekly newspaper, to prevent it from becoming a Democratic organ, running it only one year. When the war broke out he advertised for recruits and raised a company, being the first man who enlisted in Mendota. He raised 135 men for the first ninety days' call, but continued the publication of his paper until July, 1861, when he shut up his office, calling for volunteers for the Forty-third and Fifty-fifth Illinois Volunteer Infantry; they being organized by special authority from the War Department. He was chosen Captain of Company I, Fifty-fifth Illinois Volunteers, taking with him into service in the two regiments over 180 men. In March, 1862, he resigned on account of illness, and left the service on the advice of his surgeon. He continued the practice of law at his home in Mendota, Ill., but for three years before coming West he had his office in Chicago. He was married at Woodstock, Vt., December 11, 1848, to Sarah B. Slayton, daughter of James C. Slayton, Esq., a native of Woodstock, Vt. They have one daughter, Mary A., widow of Joseph Hunter. Mr. C. is a member of the A., F. & A. M., and I. O. O. F.
[Portrait of R. C. Cushing.]
R. C. CUSHING, railroad contractor, came to Nebraska in 1869, and located in Plattsmouth, where he resided until 1879. He was engaged in railroad building ever since he came, having been associated with John Fitzgerald during the entire time. He has been contracting ever since the close of the war. He is a director of the First National Bank of Lincoln, and also for the First National of Plattsmouth. He is a native of Rochester, N. Y., and removed to Hornellsville in 1850. In 1853, he went to Wisconsin, locating in Portage City. He lived there until 1866. For two years he served as clerk in the Quartermaster's department of the army of the Missouri. He was Superintendent of the Post at Fort Morgan in 1867, and engaged in the construction of the U. P. R. R. from Cheyenne to its western terminus, and then came to Plattsmouth. They then built the C., B. & Q. R. R. into Plattsmouth. While at the latter place, he served five terms as Alderman, and three years was President of the City Council.
L. E. CROPSEY, Lincoln, Neb., is the second son of a family of five children of Andrew J. and Maria Cropsey. He was born in Plainfield, Will Co., Ill., September 4, 1850. In 1854, he removed, with his parents to McLean County, Ill., his parents being the first settlers in that part of the State. Subsequently removed to Fairbury, Livingston Co., Ill., now a city of 3,000 inhabitants. Founded by A. J. Cropsey in 1857. The subject of this sketch spent the following four years in attending the district schools. In August, 1862, he enlisted in the One Hundreth and Twenty-ninth Regiment Illinois Volunteers, of which his father was Lieutenant Colonel. And in 1866, was appointed Deputy County Clerk of Livingston County, and served in that capacity for over one year. In 1867, he went to St. Louis, Mo., as book-keeper in a wholesale dry goods house. In 1868, removed to Lincoln, Neb., and he was appointed Deputy County Clerk, and served as such eighteen months. In September, 1869, he entered Dartmouth College, Hanover, N. H., but left before graduating, and returned to Lincoln. When the Legislature organized for the eighth session, he was elected Assistant Clerk, and a month later, was elected Chief Clerk of the House, the youngest chief clerk ever elected. In June, 1871, on the assembling of the Constitutional Convention, he was elected Assistant Secretary, in which capacity he gave entire satisfaction. He acted as daily correspondent for several papers during the session of the legislature and convention. In February, 1873, he received three appointments as consul to different countries. He declined two of them, but finally accepted that of consul of the United States, at Chemnitz, Saxony, a position he retained until July, 1876 when he resigned, and returned home, to take the position of Private Secretary to Governor Garber, and continued in this capacity until January 1, 1879. During these years Mr. C. had been pursuing the study of law, and was admitted to practice in January, 1880. In the fall of the same year, he was elected County Clerk, a position he retained for two years. He was married in Kankakee, Ill., June 24, 1873, to Miss Burchard, of that city. They have two children--Maggie and Hattie. Mr. C. is a member of the K. of P., and the K. of H. He is now southwestern passenger agent of the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad.
[Portrait of John C. Cadman.]
[SILVER LAKE FARM, RESIDENCE OF HON. J. CADMAN.]
JOHN CADMAN, ex-Judge of the Probate Court. One of the pioneer settlers of Lancaster County, Neb., was born April 27, 1823, in Lancaster County, Pa., where he was raised and educated, and then went into Erie County, and engaged in the boot and shoe business until the fall of 1843, when he joined his father in Iowa, remained there a short time; crossed the Mississippi into Illinois in 1840, and located at Elizabeth, Jo Daviess Co., near Galena, where he was engaged in the manufacture and sale of boots and shoes, establishing a large and profitable business, which he carried on until 1850; when he entered into the mercantile business, under the firm name of Cadman & Wilcox, and in 1861, Wilcox sold his interest out to a Mr. Wilson, who in 1853 became proprietor, purchasing Mr. Cadman's interest. He then established himself again, and in 1857, he admitted a Mr. S. Jeffries as a partner, and did a business of some $40,000 per annum, and in 1858, Mr. C. became sole proprietor. In the spring of 1859 he came to Nebraska, and entered a quarter section of land on Salt Creek, about ten miles south of Lincoln; then turned his attention to the opening of a "cut-off" from Nebraska City to Fort Kearney, which he completed in time for the spring travel of 1861, shortening the route between those two points some forty miles, which proved of great benefit to farmers who then had settled on Salt and Blue Rivers. In addition to his farming interest he established a trading post at the crossing of Salt Creek, which was also made station for the Lusbaugh line of stages between Nebraska City and Fort Kearney, where they connected with the overland stages from St. Joseph and Omaha to California. In the fall of 1863 he was elected to the Territorial Legislature, and re-elected in the years 1864-65-66. He was elected to the Senate in the first session of the State Legislature in 1866, and served one term. In 1867 he was elected as member of the House, and became the leading advocate in the removal of the capital, which resulted in its location in Lancaster County, about two miles from his own residence. He has been connected with the political interests of the county from the time of his settlement; having been in office continually; serving as Justice of the Peace, Probate Judge, Sheriff, and County Treasurer, in which positions he always showed himself to be an efficient officer. Politically speaking, he was a Whig, and then a Republican from the organization of that party; giving his first Whig vote for Henry Clay in 1844. In 1846 he joined the Methodist Episcopal Church, and has always been a faithful member; and adding to his other virtues that of temperance, never drank a glass of liquor in his life, a fact worthy of any man in this State. He married in early life, a Miss Frances Bennett, the daughter of a Pennsylvania mechanic, and the loving mother of some six boys and two girls.
HARVEY CULBERTSON, professor of horticulture, was born in Switzerland County, Ind., where he was raised, and attended the Morefield Academy. In the fall of 1870, attended Hanover College, near Madison, Ind., where he took a scientific course, and graduated as B. S., after which he taught at the academy of six months. In the spring of 1874, came to Lincoln, and worked on a farm for one season, then went to the University here, and took an agricultural course for one year, and was elected acting professor of agriculture, and in 1875 was made Superintendent of the State College farm, situated about two miles and a half north-east of the city. Section 19, Lancaster Precinct, No. 10. In 1881, was elected professor of horticulture, to the State Agricultural College. He was married in 1877, to Miss Ruth L. Hawley, of Lincoln. They have two children--Allen and James. Is a member of the Presbyterian Church. Prof. C., in connection with a Mr. Hawley, are sole proprietors of the Nebraska Sorghum Works, just erected, adjoining the State Farm, their intention being to promote the interest of farming, by developing the sorghum industry. The capacity of the mill is about 500 gallons per day. The works have all the modern improvements for the manufacture of the same. Also filter through bone black for refining purposes. Boiler of fifty horse power, engine sixteen horse power, mill, No. 4, Niles, 9,000 pounds in weight, Employ about sixteen hands; running night and day. The same being erected at a cost of some $4,000.
J. L. CUMMINGS, retired farmer, Eastern Nebraska, is fortunate in securing men of sterling merit, for its pioneers gave the country reputation, which has not diminished to the present time. Among those that contributed an ample share towards Nebraska's early developments, was Mr. J. L. C., of West Va., who was born October 3, 1816. His father, Enoch, was a native of old Virginia. The subject of this sketch spent his youthful days in his native State, following agricultural pursuits. In 1837, he removed to Marion County, Ohio, and for twelve years was a resident of the Buckeye State. In 1840, Miss Sarah Miller, of Ohio, became his wife, and in the year 1850 they emigrated to Iowa, locating in Bremer county, near Shell Rock, and for over twelve years was identified by the growth and development of that county. In 1862, he and his family came to Cass County, Neb., being among the early settlers of that portion of the State. After a three years' residence removed to Lancaster County, locating three miles south of Lincoln, in Yankee Hill Township, where he engaged in farming, being among the first farm openers of the county. After an industrious agricultural career of many years in the county, in 1880, he was obliged to relinquish his vocation on account of disability, and removed to Lincoln. During this long sojourn in the county there are but few who have been more closely associated with its progress. Being of a reticent disposition, Mr. C. has not come before the people as conspicuously as many of the pioneers. He has represented the county as Supervisor, and in that capacity, discharged his duty to the entire satisfaction of his constituents. Mr. and Mrs. C. are now living a retired life. They have raised a family of six children--Angeline, wife of Ellis Shane, of Nebraska; William H., Anderson A., Mary Ann, wife of Charles Miller, of Nebraska; Maria, wife of Martin Howe; Ida, wife of J. O. Phillips. Mr. and Mrs. C. are members of the Protestant Methodist Church.