Physical Character | Early Settlement | Indian Troubles|
County Organization | Official Roster | County Statistics|
Railroads | District Schools | Taxation
County Poor Department | County Societies
Lincoln: Early History | Incorporation | Official Roster|
City Institutions | Post Office
Lincoln (cont.): University of Nebraska|
Lincoln (cont.): University of Nebraska (cont.)|
Lincoln (cont.): Insane Hospital|
Nebraska State Penitentiary | The Second Revolt
Lincoln (cont.): Public Schools | Fire Department|
The Press | Churches
Lincoln (cont.): Societies, Associations, Etc.|
Temperance Societies | Musical Societies
Business Interests | Banks | Hotels
Lincoln (cont.): |
Wholesale and Manufacturing Establishments
Biographical Sketches- ABBOTT~ALLEN
10 - 24:
** Lincoln Biographical Sketches ** (cont.)|
| ALFORD~BONNELL | BOHANON~CARR |
| CARTER~CUMMINGS | DAILEY~FEDEWA |
| FULLER~GRIMM | GULICK~HOGE |
| HOLMES~KEELER | KELLY~McCONNIFF |
| McCORD~NANCE | NEWMAN~PHILLIPS |
| PHILPOTT~RANDLE | RAYMOND~SCOTT |
| SEATON~STRICKLAND | SWAN~WALSH |
| WEBER~WUNDERLICH |
Bennet: Churches | Societies ||
| Biographical Sketches - ALLSTOT~GRIBLING
Bennett: Biographical Sketches - HANSON~PIPER|
Bennett: Biographical Sketches - RHEA~WILSON|
Waverly: Biographical Sketches|
Firth: Biographical Sketches|
Roca | Other Points
Grant Precinct | Saltillo Precinct | Stockton Precinct
List of Illustrations in Lancaster County Chapter
(PHILPOTT thru RANDLE)
HON. J. E. PHILPOTT, attorney at law, came to Lincoln in June, 1867. In 1857 he had been out to Nebraska City, and remained there a few months, going east with the intention of returning, but was taken sick. He was born at New Providence, Clark Co., Ind., June 5, 1839. His parents were residents of Kentucky, but were visiting in Indiana when he was born. From his fourth to his eighteenth or nineteenth year he lived in Ohio. He enlisted in the Nineteenth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, October, 1861, and was soon transferred to the Eighteenth Ohio, being commissioned Second Lieutenant of Company A., and detailed as Orderly of the Regiment, until the spring of 1863. He was promoted to First Lieutenant and Captain, meanwhile. In July, 1863, he was made Colonel of the Eighteenth Ohio Volunteer Infantry,, and was finally mustered out in November, 1864. He returned to Ohio, and resided at Carrollton, engaging in practice there. Both before and after the war he served as County Recorder and Clerk of the Common Pleas and District Courts, and in the Spring of 1867, went to Wyandotte, Kas. There he published a newspaper until he came to Lincoln. He was a member of the Constitutional Convention in 1871, and County Judge from January 5, 1880, to January 5, 1882. He was married at Lincoln, September 20, 1871, to Anna B. Field, a native of LaSalle, Ill. They have two children, Mary Imogene, and Charles Wescott. They lost one child. The Judge is a member of the A., F. & A. M., and G. A. R., being the first Provisional Commander of the G. A. R. of Nebraska.
MAJ. CHARLES W. PIERCE, Register of the United States Land Office, came to Nebraska in 1869, and bought a large tract of land near Waverly, Lancaster Co. He was born in Benton, Yates Co., N. Y., October 7, 1823, and removed with his father to Sandusky, Ohio, in 1829. There he lived until 1847, when he removed to Huntsville, Ohio, where he stayed until 1855. In that year he came to Havana, Mason Co., Ill. August 5, 1862, he enlisted in Company B., Eighty-fifth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and was elected First Lieutenant thereof. He continued with that regiment until the capture of Atlanta, when failing health induced him to be sent to Washington, D. C., becoming Brigade Quarter-master of Hardin's Division. He was commissioned Major at Washington, in December, 1865. He was sent to Alabama, but assigned to duty in the Freedmen's Bureau, and was District Commander of thirteen companies in Western Alabama. He held that position until January, 1867, when he was mustered out and elected member of Congress, in February, from the Fourth Alabama District. He served one term in the Fortieth Congress. He was then appointed Assessor of Internal Revenue, for the First Alabama District, with headquarters at Mobile. Remained in that position until February, 1872, when he moved to Nebraska. He was a member of the Constitutional Convention of 1875, and was elected to the State Senate in the fall of 1877, to fill a vacancy, and re-elected in 1880. He resigned his position as State Senator, in 1881, when he was appointed Register of the United States Land Office, in October. He took charge December 1, 1881. He was married in Republic, Seneca Co., Ohio, November 5, 1850, to Isabella Burton, a native of Norwich, Vt. They have two children living, Florence B. and Charles A. Three are dead, Eugene, James and Edith. He is a member of the A., F. & A. M., Lodge, Chapter and Commandery. Also of the G. A. R.
ELI PLUMMER, of Plummer, Perry & Co., wholesale grocers, came to Plattsmouth, Neb., March 23, 1863. He was employed in the mercantile house of Tootle, Hanna & Co., where he remained five years, being at first porter and then salesman. In 1867 he bought out their business and continued it until February, 1879, when he sold out. In August, he established his present business at Lincoln. They do a yearly business of about $500,000, which is double the amount done the first year. While at Plattsmouth Mr. P. carried on a grain business, being almost the first grain dealer in that region. He was born in Goshen Township, Clermont Co., Ohio, in 1835, and lived there until about sixteen years of age. He then moved to Yellow Springs, Des Moines Co., Iowa, where he lived four years, going thence to Afton, Union Co., Iowa, where he stayed until coming to Plattsmouth. He was married at Plattsmouth, August 24, 1871, to Henrietta Gaston, daughter of Judge Matthew Gaston, of Guernsey County, Ohio, a native of that county. They have two children, Fred and Ralph.
FABREN S. POTVIN, contractor and builder, was born in 1839, Quebec, Canada, where he availed himself of an education, until he went to sea as a cabin boy, and during the time he was at sea, he was shipwrecked, and taken prisoner by the Esquimaux Indians, and was held captive for about thirteen months, and kept secluded, but was treated the same as one of the tribe; living in a hut, made in the shape of an angle, constructed out of poles and bark, and covered with snow to the height of some twenty feet, and was fed upon game. He witnessed when there, a tent especially made for the dead, wherein they are placed in a standing position, perfectly frozen, and at different times in the day, the whole village comes and does homage to the dead, by dancing around the bodies, holding branches of trees in their hands, singing, etc.; and in the spring they take the bodies to the sea shore, and there bury them, filling the graves up with oysters, believing the dead should be fed. After thirteen months' captivity, he was liberated by a whaling vessel. He then returned to Quebec and engaged as a sailor to a whaling ship. In 1855 he took a timber claim of 100 acres from the British Government, in Lower Canada; held it for three years, and donated the same to his sister. In 1858 he went to Fort Edward, Washington Co., N. Y., and engaged in the carpenter business, as apprentice, for two years. Thence to New York City, and in the fall of 1860 cast his first vote. In 1866 he completed a large contract, amounting to about $100,000; then returned to Fort Edward, and started a furniture manufactory, for about five years, during which time he was City Alderman, and sustained a heavy loss, his factory being burnt down, without any insurance thereon. In the fall of 1878, came to Lincoln and went to work by the day, for about six months. Then engaged in contracting, and built the grand altar of the Catholic Church, block of buildings for Brigg & Burr, Zehrung & Son, D. B. Alexander, J. F. Lawsing, O. G. King, and several others. Was married in 1864, to Miss K. G. Dowd, who was born at Fort Edward, N. Y. Has three children, Mary, Lilly and Daisy, all members of the Catholic Church. Mr. Potvin is considered to be one of the most prominent builders in Lincoln, and does now a business of some $30,000.
HON. S. B. POUND, Judge of Second Judicial District, State of Nebraska, is a native of Ontario County, N. Y., where he was born January 14, 1835. His parents moved to Wayne County, N. Y., about 1836. His preparatory studies were made at Walworth Academy and the Macedon Academy, both institutions of Wayne County. In 1855 he entered Union College at Schenectady, N. Y., Dr. Knott being the president of the college. In 1859 he graduated and returned to Wayne County, and commenced the study of law under Judge Sherwood, of Lyons, then County Judge and Surrogate. Was admitted to the bar in 1863, and in 1864 entered into partnership with Judge Sherwood, the latter's time having expired. This partnership continued until Judge Sherwood's death, in 1866. Judge Pound then moved to Nebraska and settled in the town of Lancaster, what is now Lincoln, in 1867. After engaging about one year in mercantile business, he entered upon the practice of his profession, having formed a partnership with Seth Robinson. In the fall of 1869, he was elected Probate Judge, and took his seat in 1870. In 1872 he again commenced the practice of law with C. C. Burr. Was elected to the State Senate in 1872 and '73, and a member of the Constitutional Convention in 1875, and was elected District Judge in 1876. He was married in Macedon, Wayne Co., N. Y., January 21, 1869, to Miss Laura Biddlecome, of that county, her parents being old residents of Wayne County. They have three children, Roscoe, Emma Louise, and Olivia. Judge Pound is a member of the State Bar Association, and of the Lancaster Bar Association. Was the first president of the latter.
P. PECK, farmer and stock raiser, was born in 1821, in Genesee County, N. Y., where he was raised and educated, and in 1840, came to Elkhorn Grove, Carroll Co., Ill., and engaged in farming and stock raising for about nine years. Then went to California, and engaged in mining, etc., for about three years. Returned to Illinois, and engaged in farming at the same place, and on the old homestead. In 1867 came to Nebraska, remaining at Plattsmouth for about one year and a half, and in the fall of 1868 came to Lincoln, and purchased a farm of 600 acres, about one mile and a half east of Lincoln, of which about 120 acres are under a high state of cultivation, and the balance meadow, pasture, and orchard, consisting of abut 2,000 assorted trees, such as cherry, early Richmond apple, pears, etc., all of which are in full bearing. He set all the trees out himself. Improvements consisting of a two-story stone house, barn, shed, etc. He was married in 1852, to Miss Nancy Lawrence, of Polo, Ogle Co., Ill. They have four children--Florence A., now Mrs. Dr. W. A. Burr; Mary A., now Mrs. Fred Hovey; Jennie N., a natural artist, having executed some very fine paintings; and Miss Lilly, who has a great talent for music, and considered to be one of the finest soprano singers in Lincoln, and belongs to the Philharmonic Society. The family are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
JAMES K. POST, member City Police Force, was born November 10, 1844, at Rochester, N. Y., where he was raised and educated. Left school at the age of eighteen, and was engaged on the street railroad there, as conductor, which position he held for about two years. Then went to Kenosha, Wis., and engaged in farming with his uncle, and from thence to La Porte County, Ind., and purchased a fruit farm of sixty acres, and remained there until 1877, when he came to Lincoln, and was employed by Raymond Bros., as shipping clerk in their wholesale department. In 1880, was appointed by the Mayor to the city police force. Was married in July, 1877, to Miss Martha Pearce, who was born in Indiana. Has three children--Harry, Annie and Raymond. Family members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
H. A. POSTON, groceries and provisions. The business was established in 1875. He carries a stock of about $3,000, and employs two clerks. Mr. P. was born in Loudoun County, Va., July 27, 1846. In 1872, he removed to Wichita, Kan., where he remained about two years. After making a visit to Virginia, he returned west, and settled in Lincoln, Neb., and started his present business. He was married in Sangamon County, Ill., September 27, 1874, to Miss Mattie Chambers, of Sangamon County, formerly of Memphis, Tenn. They have two children--Bertie and Lottie. Mr. P. is a member of the Merchants' Protective Association.
ISRAEL PUTNAM, deceased, was a native of Ohio, but for the past twenty years had made the West his home. He was engaged in freighting during the Pike's Peak excitement, and later to the various military posts between the Missouri River and Camp Floyd in Utah. He commenced freighting on a very small scale, making his first trip with one or two teams, and closing the business when the U. P. R. R. had reached the far West, with quite a large train of wagons. He had his ups and downs in the business, and at one time his train was attacked by the Indians, and his stock run off, at another time he was caught in a snow storm far from any ranch, and half of his cattle perished. But nothing daunted him. He went to work and was soon on his feet again. In 1869, when the freighting business had ceased to be profitable, Mr. P. sold out, and came to Nebraska with Mr. Walsh, with a view of going into business. He visited Lincoln, and saw in the future a great city, and determined to settle there. Having means, they invested largely in real estate, securing at an early day, and at very low prices some of the most valuable property in the city. In 1873, the firm erected the handsome three-story brick block, known as the Academy of Music at that time, and for years afterward the handsomest block in the city. Other houses in various parts of the city were erected by the firm. They also erected the Lincoln Gas Works. At the time the works were started, they were very unprofitable, and continued as such for two years, but since then the growth of the city has made the investment a good one. At the time of Mr. Putnam's death, the firm contemplated building a street railway. Mr. P. was also an active member of the Board of Trade, and advocated the establishment of the organization long before it was started. He was a man of great business sagacity, ever ready to lend a helping hand to an enterprise that looked toward the further advancement of the city he loved so well. He was a man of strict integrity, and honest to a fault. He was taken off just in the prime of his usefulness, and his loss was deeply felt by the city and citizens. He died January 22, 1881, being at that time about forty-five years old. He was married in Lincoln, September 26, 1871, to Miss Amanda Saunders, of Mt. Pleasant, Iowa. Her parents were among the early settlers of Mt. Pleasant, and built the third or fourth house in the town. They have one daughter--Florence. Mr. Putnam's father was a Presbyterian minister, of New York State, and had temporarily taken a pastorate in Ohio at the time of the birth of Israel.
W. B. PUTNAM, engineer in charge of constructed line B. & M. R. R. in Nebraska; was appointed to his present position in June, 1879.
T. P. QUICK, was born December, 1833 in New Jersey, where he was raised and educated, and in 1850 went to Chicago and engaged in business, running steamboats on the canal for about twenty years. In the spring of 1870, came to Lincoln, and purchased 1,000 acres of land, situated west of Lincoln. Emerald Station being on southwest quarter of Section 23, of his farm. Shortly after purchasing the same, he commenced to improve, and to raising stock, and has now some 300 head of graded stock, and some fourteen head of pure bred Durham. Hogs of the Spanish Duroc breed, similar to the Jersey Reds, but considered to be of a finer grade, and will average in weight some 500 pounds when fat, and took five cash premiums on the same at the State Fair. Poultry consists of pure bred Brahmas, and the finest Bronze Turkeys in the county. He has also, for his private use, three thorough bred trotting horses, out of Bashaw and Ethan Allen. His improvements consist of an elegant house, of modern style, and ten acres of orchard, cattle barn 104x54, and sixteen feet high; horse barn 60x72; calf pen, 27x80; two wagon houses, 30x50 and 14x60; machine house, 14x60; stall barn, 24x36, for pure bred stock; barn for bulls, fourteen feet square; besides feeding sheds, pig pens, etc., four large corn cribs; two never failing wells, with Eclipse Wind Mills, and pumps attached, and water pipes are conveyed under ground to all of his sheds and buildings, etc., notwithstanding that Middle Creek runs through a portion of his farm. Was married in 1876, in Omaha, to Miss R. L. Thain, of Lincoln. They have one child living--Clara. Lost a boy, who died at fifteen months old. Mr. Quick is Chief of the Fire Department, and during the time he has been connected with the department, helped to suppress the following fires in the city: The Atwood House, Opera House, Pioneer Hotel, etc. Is also owner and proprietor of one of the finest liquor and billiard establishments in the city. Situated on the east side of the Government Square. Is a member of the Knights of Pythias, Lincoln Lodge, No. 16. Also was elected City Commissioner for two years, having a hot contestant in a Mr. Cramer.
DR. CHARLES C. RADMORE, physician and surgeon, was born in 1829, in Maryland (Queens County), and at an early age went to Indiana, and attended the Franklin Ministry there for about two years, and from there went to Cincinnati, and graduated at the Ohio Medical College, in 1856, after which he commenced practicing, and in 1861, was appointed Surgeon of the Forty-fourth Illinois, then as Assistant Surgeon of the One Hundred and Seventh, and in 1866, was appointed Surgeon to the One Hundred and Fourteenth U. S. C. T., and was discharged in 1867, at Louisville, Ky. Went to Sedalia, Mo., and remained there practicing until 1870, when he came to Lincoln, and engaged in the same profession. Was married in 1852, to Miss Rasaberry of Indiana. Has five children; Belle, Ellen, Elveso, Charles and Harry. Belongs to A., F. & A. M. Lincoln Lodge, No. 18., also to the G. A. R. Farragut Post, No. 25. On the 2nd of June, 1847, enlisted as private in Company F, of the Fourth Ohio, and served in the Mexican war and was discharged in 1848, 2nd day of July, and during the time he was with the One Hundred and Fourteenth was in charge of the Post Hospital, and Chief Medical Officer of the Rio Grande, also Surgeon in Chief of Second Brigade of First Division, Twenty-fifth Army Corps, and in 1878, was in charge of the Post Hospital of Lincoln.
R. R. RANDALL, General Agent of the B. & M. Land Department, was born in Butler County, Ohio, September 20, 1828. His parents settled in Rushville, Ill., November 23, 1831. When twelve years old, the subject of this sketch was bound out to learn the printing trade, which he followed until 1849. In 1850, he engaged in clerking in mercantile business and was appointed Deputy Sheriff of the county. In 1855, he entered into business for himself, in which he continued until he was burnt out in 1860, losing everything. He enlisted in 1861, in the Seventy-third Regiment Illinois Volunteers. Was at once commissioned by Gov. Yates, Adjutant of the regiment, with rank of First Lieutenant. Shortly afterward was appointed Post Adjutant, at Camp Butler, during the summer of 1862. He re-joined his regiment at Louisville, Ky., and in January, 1863, was elected Major of the regiment. He resigned in March, 1863, and returned home. He was then appointed to the Provost Department of the Ninth Congressional District, a position he retained until 1864. Was then appointed Deputy Internal Revenue Assessor, which position he held until Andrew Johnson became President, and in 1866, engaged as salesman with the Rushville Woolen Mills. In 1869, he removed to Mount Pleasant, Iowa, and in 1870, became connected with the B. & M. R. R., from 1873 to 1875, was on the A. T. & Santa Fe R. R., under Mr. Touzalin. Returned to the B. & M. in the latter year. During a few months in 1872, Mr. Randall had charge of the city office of the B & M., in Lincoln. Was appointed to his present position in July, 1880, settled in Lincoln the same year. He was married in Rushville, Ill., May 16, 1850, to Miss Rebecca A. Ellis, daughter of Judge William Ellis, who died in Sacramento City, Cal. They have seven children; Sarah T., now Mrs. S. S. Whiting of Cedar Rapids, Iowa, Mary E., now Mrs. H. E. Shean of Lincoln, Neb., Emma, now Mrs. T. Miltonberger of Lincoln, Neb., Phoebe, now Mrs. W. S. Cass of Lincoln, Neb., Jonathan William, Richard Rush, jr., Charles W. Mr. R. has been a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church thirty years.
W. E. RANDLE, locomotive engineer, B. & M. R. R., in Nebraska. Was born in Fairfield, Iowa, November 11, 1852. In 1859, he moved to Nebraska, where they located in Oreapolis, and in 1863, moved into Plattsmouth. The subject of this sketch was engaged with government surveying parties in different parts of Nebraska, and then became connected with the B. & M. R. R., in the locomotive department. He was married in Plattsmouth, November 11, 1874, to Miss Elizabeth Thonnevel of Plattsmouth. They have three children; William, Irving and Hiram.
W. C. RANDLE, engineer of city steamer and city jailor, was born in Madison County, Iowa, December 18, 1842, at an early age went with his parents to Fairfield, Jefferson Co., Iowa, where he was raised and educated, and in 1857, went to Plattsmouth, Cass Co., Neb., and remained there until the war broke out, in 1861. Enlisted in the First Nebraska Volunteer Regiment, Company A, under Col. John M. Thayer, and participated in all the battles of his regiment. Re-enlisted October 29, 1863, at St. Louis, Mo., after which his regiment was mounted and known as First Nebraska Veteran Volunteer Cavalry, went into Arkansas, December, '63, and remained until June, '64, when his regiment was ordered to Omaha, Neb., where the regiment received a veteran furlough. Re-organized at Omaha, August 15, 1864, to a man, on three days' notice, at the time of the Plum Creek massacre, the burning of Hendris mule train of Council Bluffs, Iowa, where he was made government wagon master, and remained until June, 1866, was mustered out July 1, 1866, at Omaha, Neb., and honorably returned to his home at Plattsmouth, and engaged at house building in connection with his father, until 1871. Engaged with the B. & M. R. R. R., as section watchman, then engine wiper to helper in shops, then locomotive fireman, then went into shop to learn the machinist trade, and remained until April, 1880, then moved to Excelsior Coal Mine, Mahaska Co. Iowa, and engaged as locomotive engineer for the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul R. R. Company, about one year. Then went to Marshalltown, Iowa, and engaged with the Central Iowa R. R., as locomotive engineer until November 15, 1881, when he came to Lincoln and was appointed Engineer City Fire Engine, and City Jailor, and has in charge all property belonging to the fire department, under T. P. Quick, Chief of fire department. He was married November 25, 1866, to Miss A. E. Armstrong, aged eighteen years, who was born in St. Joe, Mo. They have four children living, Henry F., Marion E., Myrtle A., Carrie Belle, ages ten, seven, five and two years. He is a member of the Good Templars, also of the G. A. R. Farragut Post, No. 25.