Physical Character | Early Settlement | Indian Troubles|
County Organization | Official Roster | County Statistics|
Railroads | District Schools | Taxation
County Poor Department | County Societies
Lincoln: Early History | Incorporation | Official Roster|
City Institutions | Post Office
Lincoln (cont.): University of Nebraska|
Lincoln (cont.): University of Nebraska (cont.)|
Lincoln (cont.): Insane Hospital|
Nebraska State Penitentiary | The Second Revolt
Lincoln (cont.): Public Schools | Fire Department|
The Press | Churches
Lincoln (cont.): Societies, Associations, Etc.|
Temperance Societies | Musical Societies
Business Interests | Banks | Hotels
Lincoln (cont.): |
Wholesale and Manufacturing Establishments
Biographical Sketches- ABBOTT~ALLEN
10 - 24:
** Lincoln Biographical Sketches ** (cont.)|
| ALFORD~BONNELL | BOHANON~CARR |
| CARTER~CUMMINGS | DAILEY~FEDEWA |
| FULLER~GRIMM | GULICK~HOGE |
| HOLMES~KEELER | KELLY~McCONNIFF |
| McCORD~NANCE | NEWMAN~PHILLIPS |
| PHILPOTT~RANDLE | RAYMOND~SCOTT |
| SEATON~STRICKLAND | SWAN~WALSH |
| WEBER~WUNDERLICH |
Bennet: Churches | Societies ||
| Biographical Sketches - ALLSTOT~GRIBLING
Bennett: Biographical Sketches - HANSON~PIPER|
Bennett: Biographical Sketches - RHEA~WILSON|
Waverly: Biographical Sketches|
Firth: Biographical Sketches|
Roca | Other Points
Grant Precinct | Saltillo Precinct | Stockton Precinct
List of Illustrations in Lancaster County Chapter
(GULICK thru HOGE)
WILLIAM D. GULICK, bakery and groceries. Business established by Mr. Gulick's father in 1872. Carries a stock of about $2,000, employs five men, and runs two wagons. Mr. G. was born in Newark, N. J., February 17, 1857. When an infant his parents removed to Galesburg, Ill., where his father established a bakery. In 1872 they moved to Lincoln, Neb. The subject of this sketch was engaged in business in Texas about two years, then returned to Lincoln and on his father's death, took the present business. He was married in Lincoln, May 15, 1878, to Miss Ida Alexander, of Lincoln. They have one child, Ray.
WILLIAM A. HACKNEY, Justice of the Peace and attorney, came to Nebraska in November, 1871, locating at Seward. After an eighteen months' residence there he went to Butler County. In the fall of 1878 he entered the State University, attending that institution for two years. In August, 1880, he began the study of law in the office of M. Montgomery & Son, continuing with them until he was elected J. P. in the fall of 1881. He was born near Zanesville, Ohio, July 17, 1853. In the fall of 1865 he came to Iowa, living in Cass County for a year and a half, and then in Pottawattamie County until he came he came to Nebraska. He was married at Lincoln, February 22, 1882, to Margaret Decker, a native of Ohio. Mr. H. is a member of the A., F. & A. M., Blue Lodge. He was engaged in farming until the fall of 1876, then he began teaching school, which he continued in connection with his study at the university. Mr. H. owns a farm of 160 acres, situated on Section 32, Read Precinct, Butler Co., Neb.
JOHN HALEY, locomotive engineer of B. & M. R. R., was born in Upper Canada in July, 1852. He came to the United States about 1871, and located in Pittsburgh, Pa., and engaged in the locomotive department of the Alleghany Valley R. R. From there he removed to Kansas City, Mo., and engaged on the K. P. R. R. Entered the service of the B. & M. R. R. in 1881. He was married in Rawlins, Wyoming Territory, August 23, 1881, to Miss Lizzie McLaughlin, a native of Ireland. Mr. H. is a member of the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers.
E. HALLETT, jeweler. Business established in 1871 by Mr. Hallett. He employs two clerks, and carries a stock of about $12,000. Mr. H. was born on the Island of Nantucket, December 7, 1839. He moved to Milford about 1853, where he partially learned his business, finishing it in Providence. In 1860 he settled in Leavenworth, Kan., where he engaged in the jewelry business until 1871, in which year he settled in Lincoln, Neb. He was married at Ottumwa, Iowa, January 8, 1865, to Miss Martha J. Brown, of Ottumwa. They have three children, Fred Allen, Maggie Eugene and Hugh Brown.
T. F. HARDENBERGH, real estate and loan agent, came to Nebraska in April, 1866. For one summer he manufactured salt, and then commenced mercantile business. The next winter he sold out, and has since been in the real estate business. In 1877 he was appointed Deputy County Treasurer, and held that position four years. He was born at Hackensack, N. J., August 2, 1837. From the time he was two years old until he came to this State he lived in Jersey City, being employed as clerk and traveling salesman in New York City. He was married in Belvidere, Ill., in November, 1873, to Julia A. Randolph, a native of Illinois. They have three children, George E., Lewis R. and Gertrude V. D.
A. E. HARGREAVES, founder of the firm of Hargreaves Bros., commission merchants and wholesale dealers in fancy groceries, fruits, etc., was born in London, Eng., August 3, 1854. Came to America in 1872 and located at Lincoln. In July, 1874, he commenced with a capital of $28, dealing in a small way. He carried on the business successfully, and in 1881 he did a business of $200,000. January 1, 1882, the present firm of Hargreaves Bros. was formed. He was married in Lincoln, January 16, 1878, to Jennie W. Blair, a native of Manchester, Eng. They have two children, Martha Blanche and Clara Louise. Mr. H. is a member of the I. O. O. F. and of the K. of P.
WILLIAM HENRY HARGREAVES, of the firm of Hargreaves Bros., commission merchants and wholesale dealers in fancy groceries, fruits, etc., came to Nebraska in 1880, and engaged in business with his brother A. E. H., becoming a partner with him January 1, 1882. He was born in London, England, April 4, 1845, and came to America December 15, 1880. He was married at Leicester, England, September 16, 1875, to Harriet Fisher, a native of Melton, Mowbray, England. They have four children, William Henry, Alfred Ernest, John Walter and Alice Elizabeth. They lost one daughter, Sarah Elizabeth in infancy. He is a member of the Lincoln I. O. O. F., also of the English Manchester Unity of I. O. O. F.
WALTER BUNTIN HARGREAVES, of Hargreaves Bros., commission merchants and wholesale dealers in fancy groceries, fruits, etc., was born in London, England, in May, 1858, and came to Lincoln, Neb., in 1870. He was a student until 1872 and then was employed in the land department of the B. & M. R. R. Co., for five years, and since then he has been associated with his brother, A. E. Hargreaves. The firm employ seven men including the members of the firm.
M. B. HARRIS, proprietor Howard House, under present management about three years. House contains twenty-five rooms and will accommodate about forty guests. Mr. Harris was born in Geneva, N. Y., January 16, 1831. He moved to Detroit, Michigan, about 1852, and in 1862 moved from there to Fond du Lac County, Wis., and from there to Scott County, Iowa, kept a hotel in LeClaire, Scott County, about six years, and also for a time in Omro, Wis. Came to Nebraska in 1878 locating in Lincoln. He was married in Detroit, Michigan, September 1, 1853, to Miss Martha J. Johnson of Detroit, her father being one of the early settlers. Mr. H. is a member of the A., F. & A. M. Chapter and Commandery of Lincoln, also of the A. O. of U. W.
W. A. HARRIS, proprietor Passenger and Baggage Transfer, business established in May, 1876. Mr. Harris was born in Surrey County, England, in June 1835. He learned the trade of butcher, and followed the trade in London, some fifteen years. In 1866 he came to the United States, and settled in Rockford, Ill., where he remained only one year. In 1867 he settled in Otoe County, Nebraska, and engaged in farming and teaming, was also engaged in express business in Nebraska City. In 1876 he moved to Lincoln. He was married in London, England in 1864, to Miss Maria Ewins of that city. They have five children living, Nellie, Emma, Loretta, Fred and Frank. Mr. H. is a member of the Congregational Church.
J. H. HARLEY, drugs, books, etc., business established about 1873. Mr. H. had a partner for a short time when he first started. Carries a stock of about $10,000. Mr. H. was born in Bridgewater, Nova Scotia, June 10, 1848. In 1865 he settled in Geneseo, Ill., and one year later started in drug business. Removed to Nebraska in 1871, located in Lincoln where he was in the employ of Leighton & Brown wholesale druggists, up to the time present business was established. He was married in Geneseo, Illinois, June 10, 1871, to Miss Howell of Geneseo. They have four children, Henry, Dora, John, Laura. Mr. H. is a member of the Episcopal Church and also a member of the Union Club. Is now a member of the Board of Aldermen of Lincoln.
W. J. HARRIS, farmer and stock raiser, was born in 1832, in Butler County, Ohio, left school at the age of eighteen and went farming in Wisconsin and Indiana until the war broke out, and in 1861 he enlisted in the Thirteenth Indiana Infantry Company as private, and participated in all of the battles with his regiment, and in the winter of 1864 was sent to Florida, and from thence to Virginia, and was with Butler's expedition and was discharged in 1864 at Petersburgh, and in the spring of 1865 immigrated to Nebraska, and purchased a farm of 280 acres situated in Section 18 northeast, Town 10, Range 5, now all under cultivation with the exception of about five acres of timber. He is considered to be one of the best farmers in that section, with good buildings and all modern improvements. Was married in 1865 in Indiana, and has four children, Thomas, Lottie E., John R. and Anna Augusta. Belongs to Lincoln Lodge No. 19 as Master Mason, and to the I. O. O. F., Lodge No. 11, Saline Encampment No. 4, also to the G. A. R., Farragut Post No. 25 as private. Was Precinct Assessor for ten years, and Register of voters from 1870 to 1880. When Mr. H. first located, the town was then known as Lancaster, and there were but few houses, and they scattered. He being one of the old pioneer settlers.
CHARLES S. HART, M. D., physician and surgeon, came to Lincoln in February, 1881. He was born at Marietta, Ohio, May 13, 1856, and graduated from Roanoke College in Virginia in 1875. He read medicine with his father, Dr. Benjamin F. Hart. Graduated from the Columbus Medical College in 1877. He commenced practice at Marietta in 1876, and continued there until he came to Nebraska. He was married at Marietta, June 3, 1878, to Julia L. Holdren, a native of Washington County, Ohio and reared at Marietta. They have one child, Arthur H. He is a member of the Ohio and Nebraska State, and Lincoln Medical Societies, and of the Alpha Tau Omega Fraternity. Assistant surgeon to the B. & M. R. Railroad in Nebraska and leased lines.
HASS & SCHERRER, meat market, established in 1874 by Hass & Zeh. The present firm was organized in 1876. George Sherrer of above firm was born in Germany, November 18, 1850, came to United States in 1862 with his parents and located in Waterloo, Ill. Learned his trade in St. Louis, and followed it various places previous to 1873, in which year he came to Nebraska, engaged in clerking until he entered present firm.
N. S. HARWOOD, attorney, came to Lincoln in February, 1871, and engaged in practice. Was a member of the firm of Tuttle & Harwood until 1875, and of Tuttle, Harwood & Ames until 1877; since then of the present firm of Harwood & Ames. He was private secretary of Gov. Garber for two years. He was born near Constantine, St. Joseph Co., Mich., and lived there until twelve years of age; then moved with his parents to Waterloo, Blackhawk Co., Iowa. He enlisted in the Ninth Iowa Volunteer Infantry, Company G, August 1861, as a private. Near the close of the war he was transferred to Company D, Forty-sixth Iowa, as First Lieutenant. Was mustered out in November, 1864. He graduated from the Albany Law School in 1870. Read law at Marshall, Mich., after leaving school, and commenced practice in Nebraska.
A. G. HASTINGS, Deputy United States Marshal, Lincoln, Neb., was born in Suffield, Hartford Co., Conn., January 29, 1832. In 1853 he moved West and located in Buchanan County, Iowa. Two years later he settled in Blackhawk County, where he followed his trade of carpenter and builder until 1862, when he enlisted in Company C, Thirty-first Regiment Iowa Volunteer Infantry. He remained with his regiment until 1863, when he was transferred to Gen. Hurlbut's staff in the regular army, with headquarters at Memphis, Tenn., where he remained until mustered out in 1866. During this time he also had a command under Col. Eddy, Chief Quartermaster of that department. On leaving the army he returned to Iowa, and from there moved to Lincoln, Nebraska, in 1869, where he followed his trade of carpenter and joiner. In 1871 he was appointed Town Marshal, and in the same year elected City Marshal; a position he retained until 1873, in which year he was appointed Deputy United States Marshal. He was married in Suffield, Conn., in 1853, to Miss Catharine Pease. Mrs. Hastings' family were old residents of that section, and connections of the famous Dr. Pease. Mr. Hastings is a lineal descendant of Warren Hastings. Mr. H. is a member of Farragut Post, G. A. R., at Lincoln. He is also a prominent member of the Masonic fraternity. His record shows that he was admitted at Waterloo, Iowa, August 11, 1857; passed, March 11, 1858; raised to Master Mason, April 7, 1858; appointed Tiler, June 22, 1858; elected J. W., June 11, 1859. He demitted and joined Lincoln, No. 19, in 1870; elected W. M., 1871; J. C. W. of Grand Lodge in 1872; S. G. W. of ditto, in 1873; D. G. M. in 1874; G. M. in 1875. Penn Chapter. Took Chapter degrees in Tennessee, in 1865. Demitted to Lincoln, No. 6, at its organization in 1871; was elected H. P. in 1872. In the same year was R. E. G. S. of Grand Chapter; Grand King, in 1873; Deputy Grand H. P. in 1875, and Grand H. P. in 1879. Took Commandery degrees in Lincoln in 1871. Has held all the chairs in the Commandery but that of Eminent Commander. Was elected S. G. W. of the Grand Commandery in 1879. Was appointed 1st T. I. L. L. of Lincoln Council No. 4. Mr. Hastings is a member of the Baptist Church. Has been superintendent of the Sunday-school a number of years.
HIRAM D. HATHAWAY, business manager Nebraska State Journal: came to Nebraska in May, 1858, and immediately took a contract to run the mechanical work on the Wyoming Telescope for one year. He then worked as a journeyman printer at Nebraska City until 1865, when he went to Plattsmouth and established the Nebraska Herald. This he conducted successfully until March, 1872; coming to Lincoln in that year and buying a half interest in the State Journal. While at Plattsmouth he was elected a member of the first State Legislature, and was a member of the Senate when that body first met at Lincoln. Mr. Hathaway was born at Johnston, Trumbull Co., Ohio, October 20, 1835. That was his home until 1852, when he came to Kanesville (now Council Bluffs), Iowa. Remained there one year, going thence to California. There he was employed at mining, lumbering, farming, etc., until 1858. He was married at Nebraska City, August 1, 1860, to Anna Lauer, a native of New York City. They have four children: Fred H., Frank L., Lillie E, and Ralph H. They lost one son, Charles, who died November 3, 1881, aged about twenty-one years. Mr. Hathaway is a member of A., F. & A. M., Lodge, Chapter and Commandery.
ROBERT C. HAZLETT, bookkeeper for Raymond Bros. & Co., was born in 1838, at Pittsburgh, Pa., where he was raised and educated; then went to bookkeeping in Allegheny City and Pittsburgh till the war broke out, and in 1861 assisted to recruit battery of artillery known as Battery C, of the Pennsylvania Independent Light Artillery. He was mustered in as Quartermaster Sergeant, then as Second Lieutenant, and afterward as First Lieutenant, and holds brevets of Major and Captain. During the time of active service was mustered out, and discharged in February, 1865, at Washington City. After the war he entered into business for himself in Pittsburgh, Pa.; sold out and in the spring of 1878 came to Lincoln and purchased a farm of eighty acres of the B. & M. R. R. Co., situated on Section 11, Town 9, Ranges 5 east, which he has improved and put under cultivation. Remained on the same for about two years, then came into the city and engaged with Raymond Bros. & Co. as bookkeeper. Was married in October, 1865, to Miss Mary Lee Bartruff, of Washington, D. C. They have four children: Marcus Bartruff, Grace, Maud and Howard. His sons are both working on the farm. The family are all members of the Presbyterian Church. He is a member of the G. A. R., having been an active member for the last fourteen years, and participated in annual decorations up to the present time, and worked through all the Post commands, and was Vice-Commander Department of Pennsylvania, and since coming here has assisted to organize Farragut Post, No. 25, Department of Nebraska, September 8, 1879. He is a charter member and Quartermaster.
DR. J. T. HAY, assistant physician State Hospital for the insane, was born in Schoharie County, N. Y., August 3, 1849. His parents moved from there to Otsego County, N. Y. He received his preparatory education in the public schools. In 1870, he entered Cornell University, and graduated in 1874, with a degree of B. S. He then entered the medical department of the University of New York, and graduated in 1878, with a degree of M. D. He returned to Otsego County, and in the same year removed to Nebraska. Settled in Falls City, and engaged in the practice of his profession. In July, 1879, he moved to Lincoln, and took his present position. Dr. H. is a member of the Nebraska State Medical Society, and of the Lincoln Medical Society.
H. W. HEBBARD, foreman news department Nebraska State Journal, was born in Galesburg, Ill., December 30, 1858. In 1871, he went to Aledo, Ill., where he completed his education, and commenced to learn printing. In 1879, he moved to Nebraska; settled in Lincoln, and became connected with the Journal, as compositor. Was appointed to present position in 1881.
JESSE W. HEDGES, proprietor Capital Foundry, was born in 1827, in Orange County, N. Y., and was educated at the same place, and after leaving school, in the year 1853, went to work in a foundry for about three years, and then engaged in business at Chester, N. Y., until 1856, when he went to Burlington, Iowa, and acted as manager for the Hawkeye Foundry, and in June, 1857, went to Galesburg, Ill., in the foundry business until 1864, then to Kewanee, Henry Co., Ill., and purchased an interest in a foundry there, and in 1865, returned to Burlington, and took charge again of the Hawkeye Foundry, until 1871, when he bought an interest in joint stock company of Burlington Iron Works, and in 1873, came to Lincoln, and established himself in business, and was proprietor of the Lincoln Iron Works, which were burnt down in June, 1880, without any insurance, and in 1881, commenced business again, and is now proprietor of the Capital Foundry. Was married to Miss D. Hulse, of Bloomingrove, N. Y., in 1855, and have six children living--Clarence, Charles, Emma, Hattie, Harry, Bessie, and one deceased. Belongs to Iowa Lodge, No. 1, as Master Mason; also to the Temple of Honor, Lincoln Lodge No. 1, as Financial Recorder and Past Worthy Chief Templar; also, to the Social Temple of Honor, as Past Brother Presiding Templar. His wife is also a member of the same lodge. His family are all members of the Episcopalian Church.
H. HERPOLSHEIMER, wholesale and retail dry goods and notions. Business established in 1880, by Mr. H. He carries a stock of about $20,000; employs twelve clerks, and does the leading business in Lincoln. He was born in Prussia, November 28, 1844. He came to the United States in 1849, with his parents, and located in New Carlisle, Ind. From there the subject of this sketch moved to Buchanan, Mich., where he learned his business. He then removed to Grand Rapids, Mich., where he carried on a very successful business for a number of years. From there he removed to Nebraska, in 1880, and opened the present business. He was married in Ann Arbor, Mich., June 19, 1873, to Miss Krause, of Ann Arbor. They have had six children--Hattie, Ida, Albert and Alfred, twins. Oscar, who died in May, 1880, at the age of seven months and twenty days, and Walter, who died May, 1882, at the age of nine months and twenty days. Mr. H. is a member of the German Lutheran Church.
W. B. HICKOK & CO., groceries and provisions, business established in 1881. Firm composed of W. B. and H. Hickok. W. B. Hickok was born in Greene County, N. Y., October 23, 1857. Educated there, and in 1878 removed to Nebraska, locating in Lincoln, engaged in clerking until he formed present firm. H. Hickok, of above firm, was born in Greene County, N. Y., June 12, 1864. Lived in different parts of New York State, previous to 1878, he then came to Nebraska, and located in Lincoln.
MARTIN HILTNER, contractor and builder, was born in Montgomery County, Pa., in 1840, and remained there till the war broke out, and in 1862 enlisted in the One Hundred Day Volunteers, and in 1863, enlisted in the Fifty-first Pennsylvania Infantry, Company F, as private, and participated in all of the principal battles with his regiment, viz.: Petersburgh, Richmond, Fort Stedman, etc., and at the battle of Spottsylvania, was slightly wounded, but still took part in all engagements and was mustered out in 1865, at Alexander, Va., and from there went into the oil regions of Pennsylvania; remained there a short time, thence to Indianapolis, and other towns, and in the fall of 1867, came to Omaha, and opened up business as contractor and builder until 1869, when he married a Miss Martha Ann Jukes, who was born in Birmingham, England. Have five children living--Martha Ellen, Robert S., Martin Edward, Mary E., and Walter G. Is a member of the I. O. O. F., and Good Templars; also, member of the G. A. R., Farragut Post 25, for the last two years, and member of the Baptist Church. Mr. H. is considered to be one of the prominent contractors here, having contracted for and built some of the principal buildings, both private and otherwise, viz.; Clarke & Brown's, Putnam House, block of buildings known formerly as the Cody Block, the old post office, Layton & Brown's, and all the buildings on the River Side Farm, and now carries on a business of some $20,000 to $25,000 per annum.
C. E. HINE, farmer, was born July 6, 1837, in Ontario, N. Y. He was raised and educated in Michigan, where he remained until the age of twenty-one. Then went to Walworth County, Wis., and engaged with a Mr. George Esterly, in a repair factory, and afterward engaged in farming in Rock County. In 1861, enlisted in Company G, of the Eighth Wisconsin Infantry (which regiment carried the live eagle), as private, under Captain W. B. Britton and Col. R. C. Murphy, at the battle of Corinth, lost his right arm and was sent to Jefferson barracks, Mo., and was discharged in 1862, at St. Louis, and from there went to Erie County, Pa., remained there for three years, in business, returned to Genesee County, Mich., and engaged in farming for about four years, then went to Mower County, Minn., and in 1870, came to York, Neb., and took a homestead of 160 acres, and from thence to Lincoln. In 1871, was elected doorkeeper of the Senate, which position he has held ever since, being re-elected each term. Was married in 1868, to Miss F. Wilcox of Ontario, Canada, and has four children, Sidney, Ida, Grace and Lulu May. Belongs to the G. A. R., Farragut Post No. 25.
HENRY V. HOAGLAND, lumber merchant, came to Kearney, Neb., in 1872, where he was in the hotel business two years. Then farmed in Phelps County, until the fall of 1877, when he came to Lincoln. He was Deputy Sheriff in 1878-79. He was born in Somerville, Somerset Co., N. J., November 2, 1842. When fourteen years old his parents moved to Bunker Hill, Macoupin Co., Ill. Lived there until 1861, when he enlisted in Company F, Seventh Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and served until the close of the war, being mustered out as Lieutenant. He returned to Illinois, and afterward went to Chicago, where he attended Eastman's Business College. He was married at Bunker Hill, in February, 1867, to Marietta Randolph, a native of Somerset County, N. J. They have three children: Frank V., Evelyn and Albert LeRoy. Mr. Hoagland is a member of the G. A. R. and L. of H.
JOSEPH S. HOAGLAND, lumber merchant, came to Lincoln in April, 1872, and was engaged as a clerk in a store for a few months, then served at his trade until April, 1873, when he was appointed Deputy Sheriff. This position he held until 1877, when he was elected Sheriff, holding that place until January, 1880. In February, 1880, he engaged with his brother Henry in the lumber business. He was born in New York City, February 10, 1847. When one year of age his parents removed to Somerville, N. J., and lived there until 1856. He then came to Bunker Hill, Ill., he lived there until he entered the army, February 10, 1865, and was mustered out in October, 1865. he then returned to Illinois, and located at Virden, in the spring of 1867. He engaged in farming until he came to Nebraska. He was married at Ridgeley, Madison Co., Ill., December 29, 1869, to Maria L. Waples, a native of that place. They have three children; Walter, Arthur and Eugene. Mr. Hoagland is a member of I. O. O. F., Subordinate Lodge and Encampment, and of Temple of Honor.
F. R. HOGE, engineer B. & M. R. R., was born in Elizabeth City, Henry Co., Ind., August 3, 1858. His parents moved to Missouri, when he was an infant, and from there to Albia, Monroe Co., Iowa, where the subject of this sketch was raised. In 1874, he moved to Nebraska, locating in Kearney, and entered the service of the B. & M. R. R. Has had charge of an engine since 1879. He was married in Albia, Iowa, February 27, 1878, to Miss Ida Stout of Albia. They have two children; William and Clarence. Mr. H. is a member of the "Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers."
S. E. HOGE, locomotive engineer, B. & M. R. R., in Nebraska. Was born in Guernsey County, Ohio, May 23, 1852. His parents moved to Indiana, and from there to Tipton, Moniteau Co., Mo. He commenced with the B. & M. R. R., in 1872, and has since been in their employ, with the exception of about six months, during which time he was in the service of the U. P. R. R. Has had charge of an engine about seven years. He was married in Albia, Monroe Co., Iowa, October 30, 1871, to Miss Lizzie Potts of Albia. They have three children; Lawrence Curtis, Lewis Bertie and Lennie. Mr. H. is a member of the "Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers."