Physical Character | Early Settlement | Indian Troubles|
County Organization | Official Roster | County Statistics|
Railroads | District Schools | Taxation
County Poor Department | County Societies
Lincoln: Early History | Incorporation | Official Roster|
City Institutions | Post Office
Lincoln (cont.): University of Nebraska|
Lincoln (cont.): University of Nebraska (cont.)|
Lincoln (cont.): Insane Hospital|
Nebraska State Penitentiary | The Second Revolt
Lincoln (cont.): Public Schools | Fire Department|
The Press | Churches
Lincoln (cont.): Societies, Associations, Etc.|
Temperance Societies | Musical Societies
Business Interests | Banks | Hotels
Lincoln (cont.): |
Wholesale and Manufacturing Establishments
Biographical Sketches- ABBOTT~ALLEN
10 - 24:
** Lincoln Biographical Sketches ** (cont.)|
| ALFORD~BONNELL | BOHANON~CARR |
| CARTER~CUMMINGS | DAILEY~FEDEWA |
| FULLER~GRIMM | GULICK~HOGE |
| HOLMES~KEELER | KELLY~McCONNIFF |
| McCORD~NANCE | NEWMAN~PHILLIPS |
| PHILPOTT~RANDLE | RAYMOND~SCOTT |
| SEATON~STRICKLAND | SWAN~WALSH |
| WEBER~WUNDERLICH |
Bennet: Churches | Societies ||
| Biographical Sketches - ALLSTOT~GRIBLING
Bennett: Biographical Sketches - HANSON~PIPER|
Bennett: Biographical Sketches - RHEA~WILSON|
Waverly: Biographical Sketches|
Firth: Biographical Sketches|
Roca | Other Points
Grant Precinct | Saltillo Precinct | Stockton Precinct
List of Illustrations in Lancaster County Chapter
(NEWMAN thru PHILLIPS)
NEWMAN & THACKARA, wholesale dealers in grain, flour and feed. Business established in fall 1880. They contemplate improvements this year that will give them elevator storage of about 10,000 bushels and a grinding capacity of twenty-five bushels hourly. J. E. Newman, of above firm, was born in Schenectady County, N. Y., July 16, 1855. In 1863 his parents moved to Rutland County, N. Y., and from there in 1873, to Nebraska, locating in Lincoln. The subject of this sketch engaged in printing in Lincoln and in 1876 went to Colorado and engaged in mining and milling, returning to Lincoln in 1879. He was married in Lincoln, August 21, 1878 to Miss Hargreaves, of Lincoln. They have one child, Walter H.
THOMAS OGLES, engineer, Commercial Hotel, was born October 1, 1844, at Indian Creek, Pike Co., Mo., and educated there. In 1861 enlisted in Company I, Missouri State Volunteers, under Gen. Henderson. Then re-enlisted in Company A, Tenth Missouri Cavalry, under Col. Smart, and participated in all the battles with his regiment and mustered out in the fall of 1865 at Macon City, Mo. Then went to Jacksonville, Ill., and engaged as agent in the agricultural business for about fifteen months. In 1868 engaged as captain and engineer on passenger ferryboats on the Mississippi, also acting at different times as pilot, for all three of which positions he holds certificates. In the fall of 1881 came to Lincoln and engaged by the Commercial Hotel as stationary engineer. Was married in January 1867, to Miss Katie Snow, of Jacksonville, Ill. Has two children, Ollie and William. Is a member of the I. O. O. F., Clarksville Lodge, No. 53. During the time Mr. O. was on the Mississippi he rescued the lives of two men who were on the point of drowning, the boat in which they were having been capsized in a storm which was then prevailing.
C. P. OLSON, superintendent of bridges B. & M. R. R. in Nebraska, was born in Sweden, April 3, 1844. He came to the United States in 1869 and settled in Burlington, Iowa, where he became connected with the C., B. & Q. R. R. in the bridge building department. In 1875 he removed to Lincoln and was appointed to his present position about 1877. He was married in Burlington, Iowa, May 17, 1870, to Miss Mary A. Waseland, of that city. They have two children, Ella A. and Robert F.
P. W. O'CONNER, meat market. Established in 1881. P. W. O'Conner, carriage manufactory and blacksmithing business was established in 1875. Employs fifteen men regularly and in summer their force is increased to about thirty men. Mr. O'Connor was born in County Mayo, Ireland, February 2, 1838. His parents moved to Canada in 1840 and in 1861 he came to the United States, locating in different parts of the States. In 1869 he moved to Nebraska, locating in Lincoln a short time and then settled in Crete, Neb., and established a carriage manufactory establishment. Removed to Lincoln in 1875. Mr. O'Connor has been engaged in the business about seventeen years. He was married in Hastings County, Canada, April 9, 1872, to Miss Brown. They have five children, Mary Bridget, Daniel Bernard, Alice Ann, Dominick George and Theresa Loretto. Mr. O'Connor is a member of St. Theresa Church, of Lincoln, and is a member of the land league.
R. C. OUTCALT, banker, member of the firm of Marsh Bros., Mosher & Co., came to Nebraska in 1870 and located in Lincoln. He entered the bank of James, Sweet & Brock and continued with that firm and their successors until he came into the present firm, October, 1878. He is a native of Rockport, Mo., where he was reared. He went to New York when he was fifteen years old and engaged in the commission business and afterward in the manufacturing of shirts.
[Portrait of C. J. Nobes.]
C. J. NOBES, warden of the State penitentiary, was born near Joliet, Will Co., Ill., May 26, 1849. In 1869 he became connected with the State penitentiary at Joliet as yardmaster. In July, 1874, he moved to Lincoln, Neb., and took the position of deputy warden of the penitentiary. Was commissioned warden September 3, 1880. He was married in Joliet, Ill., May 20, 1875, to Miss Helen J. Richardson, of that city. They have one daughter; Jane R. Mr. N. is a member of the Episcopal Church and is a Knight Templar in the Masonic fraternity.
PHELPS PAINE, Chief Clerk Money Order Department of the Lincoln Post office. He was born in Painesville, Ohio, May 23, 1844. His parents moved to Monmouth, Ill., in 1848 where the subject of this sketch received his education. In April, 1861 he enlisted in Company K, Ninth Regiment Illinois Volunteers for three months. Re-enlisted July 26, 1861, and commissioned First Lieutenant, January 1, 1862, and appointed Aid-de-camp on the staff of his father General E. A. Paine. March 11, 1863, he was commissioned Assistant Adjutant General, with the rank of Captain, by President Lincoln. Was mustered out May 31, 1865. Was on Gen. Conrod's staff at the close of the war. He returned to Monmouth and then entered a commercial school in Cleveland, Ohio. In May, 1870 he moved to Nebraska and settled at Plattsmouth and engaged in real estate business and insurance. He moved to Lincoln in the spring of 1877 and was connected with the State land department for four years. Was appointed to his present position in June 1881. He was married in Monmouth, Ill., September 3, 1868, to Miss Parker of that city.
B. L. PAINE, M. D., homoeopathic physician and surgeon, came to Lincoln in February, 1878. Since January, 1879, he has practiced alone, having had a partner before that. He was born at Rutland, Ohio, October 29, 1851. Read medicine with Dr. T. Curtis Smith, of Middleport, Ohio. Graduated from the Ohio Medical College in the spring of 1875, and practiced at Rutland until the fall of 1876: he then entered the Hahnemann Medical College at Philadelphia, and graduated in the spring of 1877. He practiced at Portsmouth, Ohio, until he came to Nebraska. He is a member of the Northwestern Academy of Homoeopathy, and of the Nebraska State Homoeopathic Society.
["LINCOLN INFIRMARY," DR. MRS. H. K. PAINTER, PROP., UNIVERSITY PLACE.]
HETTIE K. PAINTER, the proprietor of the Lincoln Infirmary, was a native of Philadelphia, Pa., the daughter of Joseph and Charity Kersey nee Cope. Her father having died when she was quite young, she was adopted by her uncle and aunt, Mordecai and Esther Hayes, of Chester County, Pa., who were widely known where ability, integrity, and finances were required to advance any humanitarian work, being a daughter of the late Jesse Kersey, a minister in the Society of Friends well known and beloved by all. Both her organization and early practical education well fitted her for the many positions she has filled. After marriage with Joseph H. Painter, of West Chester, Pa., they moved to Ohio, where they remained several years. A great portion of her time was devoted to benevolent and charitable enterprises. In 1852, they returned to the East and resided in Philadelphia and Camden, N. J., during this time she continued her medical studies, having had from her childhood a natural turn and desire to make herself useful in that profession, and after a regular course of lectures at the Penn Medical University, she graduated in 1860. At the breaking out of the war she offered her services and organized, under the auspices of Gen. Phil. Kearney, the first hospital south of the Potomac River, at the Theological Seminary. Here she had forty men detailed as her assistants. A great and grand work was achieved at this place. After the first battle of Bull Run, under a commission from Gov. Parker, of New Jersey, also one from Gov. Curtain, of Pennsylvania, she followed the army, laboring in hospital and on the field. Here her medical education, as well as elsewhere, was in constant demand. Gen. Grant gave her a free pass on all railroads and steamboats operating against Richmond, with orders to officers to assist her in her work. She received and dispensed large stores available to the benefit of soldiers from a number of different States, giving comfort to the weary and soothing the dying, far from their homes and friends, also writing letters to their loved ones (and ofttimes penning the last words of noble, brave men, who had fought valiantly under our flag) until after the surrender of Gen. Lee, when she withdrew to Washington and continued her services at the different hospitals, frequently accompanying the sick and wounded to northern hospitals and to their homes, by order of Surgeon Gen. Barnes, in hospital cars, continuing her services at hospitals until the troops had all been removed. After practicing her profession in Washington, D. C., Alexandria and Richmond, Va., until 1868, she visited her two sons, who were pioneers on the U. P. R. R.; J. K., at Cheyenne, Wy. Ter., and L. M., at Corinne, Utah Ter. Her health had thoroughly given away; after a time she recuperated and her services were in demand, her practice extended as far west as Sacramento, on special occasions to the family of Gov. Bigler, and others and south to Salt Lake, where she located. Here she had an extensive practice numbering among her patients were several of President Brigham Young's and Bishop John Sharp's families, also other prominent families in the Territory, until her health again failed, and she was compelled to cease business. She was reduced almost to death's door, when, recovering somewhat, through the earnest solicitation of her son, J. K., she sought restoration in the mountains of Colorado, without much benefit, thence came to Lincoln, Neb., (her husband had gone into business at this place). In the course of one year she was again able to resume practice, in which she has been remarkably successful. From her extensive travel and experience in medicine she saw the importance of erecting an infirmary, where chronic cases could be more successfully treated. This is the first institution of the kind in the West. In this enterprise she has been eminently successful. From the manner of treatment and the healthy and salubrious climate of Nebraska she has had patients from Connecticut to California.
HON. A. L. PALMER, attorney at law, came to Nebraska in March 1868, and has since been engaged in practice and in speculation. He was a member of the first City Council and of the School Board for a while. For four years he was County Judge. He has been an extensive operator in real estate and has erected a great many business blocks, among them the Opera House, the drug store near it, and a number of dwellings, including the row on R street, opposite the University. He was born in Chautauqua County, N. Y., town of Westfield, June 11, 1835. When four years old his parents removed to Jackson County, Iowa, and he lived there until he came to Nebraska. He enlisted in the fall of 1861 in Company I, Twelfth Iowa Volunteer Infantry, being a Lieutenant, and served until he was discharged on account of wounds received at Corinth, after eighteen months' service. He returned to Jackson County. He was married at Andrew, Jackson Co., Iowa, to Lydia Butterworth; she died in 1869, leaving one child--Carrie V. His present wife was Rocelia A. Chase, a native of Vermont. They have four children--Frank J., Don H., Hattie and Leet Roy. The Judge is a member of A., F. & A. M., Blue Lodge, Chapter and Commandery. He was Master of Blue Lodge in 1881.
T. J. PARDOE, merchant, was born July 24, 1846, in New York, where he was raised, and availed himself of an education at O'Bryant's Academy in the town of Rye, Westchester Co., N. Y.,; remained there four years, and graduated in 1857. Then went as bookkeeper to his grandfather until 1860. And when the war broke out, enlisted in the Nineteenth Illinois Infantry, Company A, under Col. Turchin and Capt. Wilson. In 1862 was commissioned Second Lieutenant, and same year Captain of Company A; participated in the different battles with his regiment, and mustered out in 1863, and discharged at St. Louis. Was wounded at the battle of Nashville and sent to Cairo, and from there removed to Chicago and engaged in the commission business on South Water street for about thirteen years. In 1872 came to Hastings, Neb., and engaged in the lumber business, and carried on a business of some $30,000 per annum. Remained there about eight years, then sold out and went to Central City, and from thence to Waverly and engaged in the grain business with a Mr. J. R. Cook, and in 1882 sold out and came to Lincoln. Is a member of the A., F. & A. M., Chapter and Commandery, and charter member of Mount Nebo Commandery of Hastings; also same of St. John's; also member of the I. O. O. F., and one of the first Masons initiated in Hastings, and same of I. O. O. F. Assistant Adjutant-General under Gen. McGilvery, afterwards occupied the same position with Col. Irvin, of Ohio, commanding the left wing of the defenses south of the Potomac, and same position with Gen. James A. Hale, commanding Camp Barry, and Artillery Camp of Instruction, Washington, D. C.; and during the time he was with his regiment participated in all of the principal battles from Dam No. 5 Rappahannock to Morton's Ford, and holds medals with inscriptions of each battle he was engaged in, presented to him at Washington by the officers of his battery.
C. B. PARKER & CO., proprietors of the Old Reliable Marble Works. Business established in 1874. The firm consists of C. B. P. and W. S. Glass. Do a general business. C. B. P. of the firm was born in Livingston County, N. Y., July 24, 1836. He removed to Lafayette, Ind., with his parents about 1844, where he received his education. In 1862 he went to the Pacific Coast and engaged in mining until 1866; he then returned to Indiana, and from there removed to Lincoln, Neb., in 1874. He was married in Salem, Ore., January 15, 1863, to Miss Almira Smith, a native of New York. They have one child, Minnie. Mr. William S. Glass was born in Pittsburgh, Pa., November 29, 1848. He came to Nebraska in 1874, located in Lincoln, and worked at his trade until the present firm was established. He is a member of the A., F. & A. M., and the I. O. O. F.
[COTTAGE OF JUDGE C. M. PARKER, COR. L AND EIGHTEENTH STREETS.]
C. M. PARKER, the subject of this sketch, was born in Geneseo, N. Y., August 28, 1840. In the fall of 1844 his parents removed and settled near Lafayette, Ind., where he resided until the summer of 1861, when he enlisted as a private in Company A, Forty-sixth Indiana Volunteers, May 16, 1863. He lost an arm while participating in the memorable "Vicksburg Campaign" at the battle of Champion Hill, Miss. Returning to his home in Indiana, he was offered a commission in the army by Gov. Morton, which he declined, as he desired to fit himself for his chosen profession--the law. After pursuing his studies in the office of Pratt & Rollins, he entered the law school of the University of Michigan, graduating in the spring of 1870. He at once selected Lincoln, Neb., as his chosen field, and has since been closely identified with that city, which has been his home since that time. In November, 1881, he was elected by the people of Lancaster County to the position of Judge of the County Court, a position which he fills with credit to himself and to the satisfaction of those who have business relations with him.
ALBERT F. PARSONS, attorney and money loaner, came to Malcolm, Neb., and lived there until he moved to Lincoln in 1880. Read law here two years, and was admitted to the bar in 1882. He is now engaged in the money-loaning business, the firm being Parsons & Andrus. They commenced business in February, 1882, being loan agents and dealers in all kinds of securities. Mr. P. was born at New Brunswick in 1851, and removed to McHenry County, Ill., in 1868, living there until he came to Nebraska.
BURNHAM D. PARSONS, farmer, Section 3, Malcolm Precinct, Neb., P. O. Lincoln, was born in New Brunswick, and moved from there to McHenry County, Ill., where he lived until 1870. In that year he came to Nebraska and located on Section 3, Town 11, Range 5, near Malcolm, where he has since been engaged in farming. He was married in McHenry County, Ill., in February, 1879, to Eudora M. Sherman, a native of McHenry, Ill. They have one child, Mabel A.
J. A. PATTERSON, dealer in agricultural implements, handles the "Advance" corn planter, for one or two men--his own invention; the "Advance" harrow and the "Utility" corn harrow; patent folding work-table, ironing boards, wagon jacks, etc. Mr. Patterson was born near Pittsburgh, Penn., in February, 1822. While an infant his parents moved to Cincinnati, Ohio. About 1830 they moved into the country, and then to Indiana, on the Wabash. About 1854 they moved to Sterling, Ill., where the subject of this sketch was engaged in business as farmer and drover. In 1876 he commenced manufacturing at Rock Falls, Ill., in which he continued until August, 1880, when he removed to Lincoln, Neb., and engaged in manufacturing at the State Prison. He was married in La Porte, Ind., in August, 1849, to Miss Judith Fosdick, of La Porte. They have three children, La Mona (now Mrs. Stewart, of Pleasantville, Iowa), Belle (now Mrs. Malinquist), Edith. Mr. P. is a member of the Christian Church.
L. F. PENNINGTON, train-dispatcher B. & M. R. R. in Nebraska, was born in Bartholomew County, Ind., December 9, 1856. He studied telegraphing in railroad office at Vernon, Scott Co., Ind., and in 1876 entered the service of the Mississippi Central R. R. Was train-dispatcher at Water Valley, Miss., with this company. Then he moved to Nebraska in April, 1880, and located a homestead in Furnas County, remaining only a few months. He then settled in Lincoln and entered the service of the B. & M. R. R. in his present capacity. He was married in Madison, Ind., December 24, 1876, to Miss Ollie P. Ransey, of Madison. They have two children, Nellie and Maud. Mr. P. is a member of the K. of H.
J. R. PERKINS, steam and gas fitter, agent of Hay & Prentice's steam heating apparatus, of Chicago. He makes a specialty of boiler and engine setting, and has the most complete set of tools in the State. He has lately completely renewed the heating apparatus at the State Insane Asylum. Mr. P. was born in Delaware County, N. Y., July 2, 1835. His parents moved to Hartwick, N. Y., when he was young. He left home in 1848 and commenced learning his trade in Oneonta, N. Y. He then engaged in the locomotive department of the N. Y. C. R. R., and had charge of an engine for several years. He enlisted August 5, 1862, in Company L, First New York Mounted Rifles, and served until mustered out in 1865. During the most of this time he was attached to the Provost Marshal's office, detached on special duty. He returned to New York at the close of the war, and shortly after removed to Freeport, Ill., where he resided until he came to Nebraska in 1881. He followed steam and gas fitting in Freeport. He was married in South Valley, Otsego Co., N. Y., October 20, 1858, to Miss Chloe L. Butler, a daughter of Thomas Butler, an old resident of that county. They have one child, Lillie A. Mr. Perkins is a member of the A., F. & A. M., Chapter, Council and Commandery.
R. A. PERRY, of the firm of Plummer, Perry & Co., came to Nebraska in the fall of 1879. Prior to that time he was a resident of Chicago for sixteen years. He has been engaged in the grocery business for the last eighteen years. He is a native of Shoreham, Addison Co., Vt., and removed from his native place to Chicago in 1864.
R. O. PHILLIPS, secretary and treasurer Lincoln Land Co. and South Platte Land Co.; was born August 29, 1842, at Jefferson, Greene Co., Pa., where he was raised, and educated at Waynesburg College, and availed himself of a scientific course. After leaving college he went to Washington, Pa., and learned the printing trade. In April, 1861, he enlisted as a private in Company E, of the Twelfth Regiment of the Pennsylvania Light Infantry. Then re-enlisted in Company D of the Eighty-fifth Pennsylvania Infantry, and was elected First Lieutenant of his company, and participated in all the battles with his regiment, and was mustered out in December, 1864; and in January, 1865 came to Illinois and engaged in mercantile business for one year, then read law for about two years, and was admitted to the bar at Pontiac, Ill., and in 1868 came to Marengo, Iowa. Remained there a year in business, and in 1869 came to Lincoln, and was nominated and accepted by the Commissioners as Deputy Clerk for three years, and afterward was elected County Clerk for two terms; and in 1877 was in the House of Representatives for one year; then practiced law for one year, and afterwards was appointed secretary and treasurer of the Lincoln Land Company and South Platte Company. Was married in Van Buren County, Ill., in 1872, to Miss M. J. Gudgel, of Chicago. Had three children, all of whom died and are buried in the Lincoln Cemetery. Is a member of the A., F. & A. M.