Physical Character | Early Settlement | Indian Troubles|
County Organization | Official Roster | County Statistics|
Railroads | District Schools | Taxation
County Poor Department | County Societies
Lincoln: Early History | Incorporation | Official Roster|
City Institutions | Post Office
Lincoln (cont.): University of Nebraska|
Lincoln (cont.): University of Nebraska (cont.)|
Lincoln (cont.): Insane Hospital|
Nebraska State Penitentiary | The Second Revolt
Lincoln (cont.): Public Schools | Fire Department|
The Press | Churches
Lincoln (cont.): Societies, Associations, Etc.|
Temperance Societies | Musical Societies
Business Interests | Banks | Hotels
Lincoln (cont.): |
Wholesale and Manufacturing Establishments
Biographical Sketches- ABBOTT~ALLEN
10 - 24:
** Lincoln Biographical Sketches ** (cont.)|
| ALFORD~BONNELL | BOHANON~CARR |
| CARTER~CUMMINGS | DAILEY~FEDEWA |
| FULLER~GRIMM | GULICK~HOGE |
| HOLMES~KEELER | KELLY~McCONNIFF |
| McCORD~NANCE | NEWMAN~PHILLIPS |
| PHILPOTT~RANDLE | RAYMOND~SCOTT |
| SEATON~STRICKLAND | SWAN~WALSH |
| WEBER~WUNDERLICH |
Bennet: Churches | Societies ||
| Biographical Sketches - ALLSTOT~GRIBLING
Bennett: Biographical Sketches - HANSON~PIPER|
Bennett: Biographical Sketches - RHEA~WILSON|
Waverly: Biographical Sketches|
Firth: Biographical Sketches|
Roca | Other Points
Grant Precinct | Saltillo Precinct | Stockton Precinct
List of Illustrations in Lancaster County Chapter
(BOHANAN thru CARR)
[BOHANAN BROS.' LIVERY AND EXCHANGE STABLE.]
BOHANAN BROS., proprietors of the Central meat market, established June, 1868. they pack in summer, twenty to forty head of hogs weekly. Sign of the black horse livery stable, Bohanan Bros. proprietors, established in 1875. Have in stock seventy-five head of horses, with carriages, hearse, etc. Capitol hack line, Bohanan Bros., proprietors, established in 1878, have five busses, six hacks, one baggage and one band wagon, and four herdicks. Mr. M. G. B., of the above firm was born in Peoria County, Ill., March 14, 1842; learned the trade of a butcher, with his father. Came to Nebraska, in February, 1868, located in Lincoln and opened a meat market. He was married in Lincoln, October 29, 1872, to Miss Lydia S. Rakestraw. They have three children, Edward Isaac, Myrtle Agnes and Clarence Otis. Mr. B. is a member of the Baptist Church, and the I. O. O. F. Lodge and Encampment, also of the butchers' Union of Lincoln. F. H. Bohanan, of above firm, was born in Peoria County, Ill., October 14, 1844. Learned the trade of butcher with his father. Came to Lincoln, Neb., in 1868, and opened a meat market. He was married in Peoria, in 1867, to Miss Brudencia C. Mosher. They have two children, William Franklin, and Phillip Edward. Mr. B. is a member of the I. O. O. F. Lodge and Encampment.
BOOGE & PRATHER, money brokers, and dealers in scrip and warrants of all kinds. In Lancaster County loans on chattel security is made a specialty. Business established in October, 1881. J. I. Booge, of above firm, was born in Coburg, Canada, May 27, 1846. His parents moved to DeKalb County, Ind., about 1850, where he received his education. About 1862 he settled in Sioux City, Iowa, where he engaged in the mercantile business until 1877. Was then engaged as traveling salesman until he settled in Lincoln, Neb., in October, 1881. He was married in Sioux City, Iowa, December 24, 1868, to Miss Alice Goewey, of that city. They have three children, Annie, Lutie and Harry. Mr. B. is a Royal Arch Mason. H. R. Prather, of above firm, was born in Franklin County, Penn., January 5, 1852. Educated there, and in 1871 moved to Louisville, Ky., remaining until 1874. Then went to Atlantic, Iowa, and from there to Sioux City. In 1880 he located in Topeka, Kas., and from there moved to Lincoln, Neb., in October, 1881. Mr. P. was engaged in bookkeeping during these years, in the different places mentioned, with the exception of two years of his residence in Sioux City, during which time he was superintendent of the Niobrara Branch Railroad. He was married in Council Bluffs, Iowa, November 26, 1875, to Miss Mary A. Baugh, a native of Centralia, Ill. They have one child, Henry Pawling.
ARTHUR H. BOWEN, M. D., physician and surgeon, came to Lincoln February 27, 1881. He was born at Waterford, Washington Co., Ohio, December 7, 1852. He lived there until he came to Lincoln. He was educated at Marietta College in the classical course, and graduated from the Ohio Medical College at Cincinnati in 1876. The following winter he took a post graduate course in New York City, connecting himself with the College of Physicians and Surgeons and the Bellevue Hospital Medical College, taking a clinical course in the hospitals and dispensaries. He commenced practice at Waterford, Ohio, in 1877, remaining there until he came to Lincoln. He is a member of the Delta Upsilon Fraternity, and a member of the Ohio State, Nebraska State and Lincoln Medical Societies. He is the senior member of the firm of Bowen & Hart, physicians and surgeons, and assistant surgeon to the B. & M. Railroad in Nebraska and leased lines.
GEORGE F. BOWER, freight agent of the Burlington and Missouri River Railroad, in Lincoln, Neb., was born in La Harpe, Ill., July 1, 1852; has been engaged since 1872, in freight and telegraph departments of railroads. In 1874 he moved to Iowa, and from there in 1878, to Nebraska. He first located in Brownville, in the service of the Burlington and Missouri River Railroad, from there he moved to Central City, Hastings, and to Lincoln, November, 1881, and took his present position. He was married in Knoxville, Iowa, January 3, 1878, to Miss E. M. Ely.
HERBERT S. BOWERS, County Superintendent of Schools, came to Nebraska, in the spring of 1873, and located in Yankee Hill Precinct. He taught in the schools of Lancaster County, for several years. In the spring of 1878 he was at Friendville and had charge of the village schools there, during the spring term. In the fall of 1878 he became principal of the graded schools at Palmyra, Otoe Co., Neb., and remained there until the close of the winter term. He then returned to Lancaster County, and in the fall of 1879, he was elected to his present position, and was re-elected in the year 1881. He was born in Fishkill, Dutchess Co., N. Y., October 25, 1854. When quite young his parents moved to Ohio, and a year later to Indiana, locating at Seymour. He remained there most of the time until he came to Nebraska. He was educated at the Seymour high school, and married at Wabash, Ind., February 19, 1881, to Nannie J. Lehmer, a native of Somerset, Ind. Mr. B. now edits the educational department of the Nebraska State Journal. He is a son of Joseph Bowers, a native of Massachusetts, who was born September 21, 1794, and died March 20, 1881. His mother's maiden name was Maria Stevens, a native of Massachusetts. They have seven children, four of whom, Arthur E., Dudley W., Edward H. and William E., are now living on Section 31, Yankee Hill Precinct, Lancaster Co., Neb. Mr. George E. Bowers, another son, is a machinist at Fitchburgh, Mass., and superintendent of a large factory there. Abbie Ellen, now Mrs. M. Osborn, lives on Section 20, Yankee Hill Precinct. Joseph Bowers had a daughter and a son by a previous marriage, Dr. Joseph Bowers of New York City, and Mrs. Annie B. Marshall, wife of Dr. J. A. Marshall, of Washington, D. C.
CHARLES H. BOYD, engineer of Lowry's mills, was born March 7, 1846, in St. Joseph County, Ind., where he was raised and educated, and was for one year at college, at Green Castle, Ind., after which he went to work for the St. Joseph Manfacturing Company, as machinist, for about three years. In 1874 he went to Elkhart and engaged with the L. M. & S. R. R. Co., as machinist, working in their shops for about two and one-half years. Then returned to St. Joseph, Ind., and worked for the Perkins Wind Mill Company; then to South Bend, as engineer and machinist, for the Burtzell Manufacturing Company, and in the fall of 1878 came to Lincoln, and acted as agent for the sale of wind mills, pumps and agricultural implements, for about three years. Then engaged with the A. & N. R. R. Co., for a short time and in January, 1880, engaged with Mr. Lowry, as machinist and engineer to his elevator and mill. Was married to his second wife, August 14, 1881, a Mrs. Franklin, who was born in Sweden. Has two children, Carl Joan Franklin, and Annie Thomisen Boyd. Is a member of the I. O. O. F., Monitor Lodge No. 286, Indiana; also member of the Machinists' and Blacksmiths' Union, of Elkhart, Ind., since 1876, and was appointed recording secretary and treasurer of the union, during the time he was in Indiana.
W. H. BOYER, meat market, business established in 1869. Mr. B. was born in Tuscarawas County, Ohio in 1841. He enlisted January 1, 1862, in Company H, Eighty-second Regiment Ohio Volunteers, and served until the close of the war. Was detailed on sharpshooting service under Gen. Mulroy, the organization being known as "Mulroy's Foot Cavalry," and engaged in leading the advance and defending the retreat of our forces. He was mustered out in 1865 and returned to Ohio. He then engaged in stock dealing and farming. Moved from Ohio to Iowa, residing about five years in Ottumwa, Iowa. In 1868 he moved to Nebraska, settled in Lincoln, and a few months afteward, commenced his present business. He was married in Lincoln in February, 1875, to Miss Cole, a native of Iowa City, Iowa, and a graduate of Leavenworth College. They have had three children, of which there survives but one son, Reginald Ralph.
J. Z. BRISCOE, lately of Barkley & Briscoe, and Secretary Lancaster County Agricultural Association, was born in Somerset, Somerset Co., Pa., March 1, 1838. Removed with his parents to La Porte County, Ind., in 1855, and from there to Jasper County, and in 1864 he moved with them to Sarpy County, Nebraska and engaged in farming. In 1871 he settled in Lancaster County. Was County Commissioner in Sarpy County, and in 1872 was appointed to same position in Lancaster County. Moved into the City of Lincoln in December, 1880. He was married in Oakland, Alleghany Co., Md., September 16, 1858, to Miss Ellie B. Brant of Oakland. They have one daughter, Florence. Mr. B. is a member of the Christian Church.
NELSON C. BROCK, vice-president of the State bank, came to Nebraska in April, 1865, and engaged in the banking business with his uncle, James Sweet, continuing thereat until he came to Lincoln. He was born at Milford, Otsego Co., N. Y., November 13, 1843, and resided at Davenport, Iowa for six years prior to coming to Nebraska. For five years he was engaged in the milling business in partnership with S. W. Little. Mr. B. has been Deputy Collector and Deputy State Treasurer under Mr. Sweet.
GUY A. BROWN, State Librarian, came to Nebraska City in 1867 and remained there until 1871, when he came to Lincoln. He was Clerk of the District Court in Otoe County for three years. He has been State Librarian since 1871, and Clerk of the Supreme Court since 1868. Since 1875 he has been Supreme Court Reporter. Is the author of two editions of the Nebraska Statutes. He was Secretary of the Constitutional Convention in 1875. Born in Batavia, Genesee Co., N. Y., December 8, 1846. Enlisted in the Twenty-second New York Battery, August 22, 1862, and was mustered out September 29, 1865. Appointed Corporal September 4, 1862, Sergeant June, 1863, Sergeant Major, April 4, 1864, First Lieutenant, December 4, 1864, Adjutant December 12, 1864, Brevet Captain April 2, 1865, promoted to Captain August 7, 1865. He participated in all the engagements after Grant took command. He was married at Nebraska City, July 22, 1869, to Mary E. Holmes, a native of Terre Haute, Ind. They have three children, Edward P., Eugene W. and Larue. They lost one son, Lawrence A., who died at the age of four months. Mr. B. is a member of the K. of H., and has been for many years a vestryman in the Episcopal Church.
ANSON & A. H. BROWN, proprietors of the Lincoln Marble Works. The business was established by Anson Brown in 1876, present firm was organized in the spring of 1877. They employ ten men and upwards. Anson Brown of the above firm was born near Mount Vernon December, 25, 1820. Was engaged in mercantile business in Mount Vernon, Bellefontaine and Columbus, Ohio, for over thirty-five years. Moved to Lincoln, Neb., in 1875. He was married in Logan County, Ohio, May 10, 1843, to Miss M. A. Hartley of same county. They had four children of whom three survive, A. Hartley, of the above firm, Mary A., now Mrs. J. H. Rhodes, Anna L., now Mrs. C. R. Cornell. A. H. Brown was born in Logan County, Ohio, February 16, 1844. Received his education in Ohio and New York City. Was married to Miss S. A. Nevin, of Bellefontaine, Ohio, April 10, 1867. They have four children, Emma N., Carrie S., Ernest H. and Bertha M. Removed to Lincoln, Neb., from Columbus, Ohio in the spring of 1876.
JOSEPH H. BROWN, Justice of the Peace, came to Plattsmouth, Neb., April 27, 1855, and located there to hold the town site. An Indian trader named Hugh Martin, died there in 1854, and William Garrison succeeded to the trade, locating there December 25, 1854. He now lives at Castle Rock, Col. Mr. B. was elected Clerk of the Legislature, in the winter of 1855 and 1856. In 1856 he was elected County Clerk, and served one term. In 1861 he was appointed Clerk of the Court and held that office nine years. He was also Clerk of the first State Legislature in 1866, he then made a trip to the mountains, and came to Lincoln, in 1873. He was tax agent for the B. & M. R. R. for five years, and was employed one year by the C. B. & Q. R. R. in Iowa. Since 1879 he has been Justice of the Peace, in the city of Lincoln. In the year 1856 three companies were organized to pursue the Pawnees, who had robbed some surveying parties. O. P. Mason, Gideon Bennett and J. H. Brown, commanded them. They were organized at Nebraska City, Bennett's Ferry and Plattsmouth, respectively. Mr. B. was born at Salina, Onondaga Co., N., Y., and lived there until nine years old, then he came to Fulton County, Ill., where he lived until he came to Nebraska.
HENRY W. BROWN, of the firm of Leighton & Brown, wholesale druggists, came to Lincoln, in June, 1868, from Leavenworth, Kansas, where for two and a half years he had been engaged in the mercantile business. He is a native of Sidney, Kennebec Co., Maine. In August, 1861, enlisted in Company E, Sixty-fifth New York Volunteer Infantry. On two different occasions was sent to New York City on recruiting service, where he remained, in the aggregate, about ten months. With the exception of this time, was constantly with his regiment, and participated in nearly all the battles of the Army of the Potomac, up to the 10th of May, 1864, when, at the battle of Spottsylvania Court House, he was taken prisoner. Was confined in Andersonville and Florence prisons until March 1, 1865, when he was liberated, sent to his regiment and discharged in August, 1865. Was married in Lowell, Mass., September, 1868, to Harriet L. Brown, a native of Lowell. They have one daughter, Florence L.
E. E. BROWN, attorney, came to Lincoln, in June, 1870, and has practiced here since. He is a director of the State National Bank and attorney for a number of counties in their tax litigation. He has been prominent in the defense of cases in which railroad tax litigation was involved. Born at Jordan, Onondaga Co., N. Y. He read law in the office of Wright & Pomeroy, and was admitted to the bar in December, 1861. He commenced practice at Moravia, Cayuga Co., N. Y., and continued practice here until he came to Nebraska. He has been Mayor of Lincoln and member of the State Senate, one term.
J. M. BROWN, engineer Little's Elevator, was born in the State of New York, in 1844. Left the State at an early age, and went with his parents to Columbia County, Wis., remaining on a farm with them for about two years, then engaged with the Milwaukee & La Crosse R. R. Company, as machinist, for one year, then went South, to Nashville, Tenn., and was employed by the government as machinist and engineer, to their saw mills, and in March, 1865, came to Saltillo, Neb., and engaged in teaming with oxen across the plains, from here to the Rocky Mountains and back, and in 1867, homesteaded a farm of 160 acres in this county, resided on the same until 1873, when he sold out, and went to work for the B. & M. R. R. Company as general helper in their round house, for about three years, and engaged again in farming in Greeley County, for about one year, and from thence to the Black Hills and Kansas, and in 1878, came to Lincoln, and was engaged as machinist and engineer to Little, Brown & Kerson elevator. Was married to a Miss Mary E. Walker, of Ohio, who died in 1875, leaving one child, Eliza S. He was married again in October, 1876, to Miss Annie Franke, who was born in Wisconsin.
D. C. BROWN, carpenter, builder and agriculturist. He is a native of Mississippi County, Mo., and was born October 10, 1845, when quite young he removed with his parents to Indiana, locating near Valparaiso, his father Presley Brown being among the pioneers of that section. Here the subject was raised to manhood and educated, making the pursuits of agriculture his chief aim in life. In 1870, he came to Nebraska, and after a temporary sojourn returned to Indiana, and in 1872, again came to the State, locating in Sandy Hill Township, Lancaster County, five and a half miles south of Lincoln, engaging in farming and was identified among Lancaster County soil tillers, until the autumn of 1881, when Lincoln became his abiding place, and at present he follows carpenter work. Mr. B. is an industrious, go-a-head gentleman, and Lancaster County has room for plenty such men. On the 6th of October, 1870, Miss E. S. Miles, a native of Indiana, became his wife. They have two children, Minnie C., and Ella.
L. E. BROWN, of the firm of Butts & Brown, commission merchants, deserving of mention among the business men of Lincoln, is the subject. He is a native of New York, and was born in Tioga County, December 3, 1833. When young he removed with his parents to Broome County, where he was raised to manhood and learned the blacksmith trade in the town of Windsor. When he attained his majority he went to Susquehanna County, Pa., where he embarked in the blacksmithing business, continuing two years, when the West attracted his attention and he became a resident of Galesburg, Ill., engaging in his vocation and in due course of time became one of the leading manufacturers of that city. 1877 found him in Lincoln, and for several years was acknowledged among the leading vulcans of this part of the country, carrying on and doing a lucrative business. In August, 1880, he engaged in the present line. Mr. Brown was married in Susquehanna County, Pa., in 1856 to Miss Emma Whitney, of that State, and by the union they have five children, two of who are living, Edith and Harry. They lost three, Emma, Frank and Charlie. Mr. Brown is a courteous gentleman and by his affability has made a host of friends in the business and private walks of life. He is a member of the I. O. O. F. Encampment and the Temple of Honor.
HENRY BRUGMANN, hardware, stoves, tinware and house furnishing goods, business established in 1879 by Mr. Brugmann. He carries a stock of about $6,000 and employs five men. Mr. Brugmann was born in Hamburg, Germany, January 15, 1845. In 1869 he came to the United States and settled in New Orleans. He removed to Chicago and from there to Nebraska in 1879. He was married in Chicago October, 1870 to Miss Mary Prinnan, a native of Hamburg. They have three children, Hermann, Mary and William. Mr. Brugmann is a member of the German Lutheran Church. He is president of the German Mannerchor Society and is a member of the Harmonic and I. O. O. F.
J. A. BUCKSTAFF, banker, real estate dealer and money loaner, is the proprietor of the opera house at Fairbury and the Lincoln Tanning company, established in 1881. He employs from thirteen to fifteen men, operating under the Dobson process. S. J. Dobson is the practical tanner in charge of the establishment, and patentee of the process. Up to 1881 Mr. Buckstaff became engaged in the lumber business. He is now engaged in the above mentioned business, and is also proprietor of the Farmers and Merchants' Bank at Fairbury, and does a general banking business. Bonds and well secured notes bought and sold. Special attention given to collections. Long-time loans placed on first-class real estate security. Mr. Buckstaff is a native of New Brunswick and was raised at Oshkosh, Wis., coming from there to Nebraska. He was married at Lincoln, October, 1875, to Sarah E. Montgomery, a native of Sparta, Wis. They have two children, Allen Frank and Clara C. He is a member of the A., F. & A. M.
LUCIUS J. BUMSTEAD, M. D., homeopathic physician and surgeon, came to Lincoln in December, 1871, and has practiced here since that time. He was born in Bloomfield, Hartford Co., Conn., May 8, 1840. When he was seven years old his parents moved to La Porte, Ind. In 1861 he moved to Sheffield, Bureau Co., Ill., living there until 1865, when he went to the Rocky Mountains and spent eighteen months in Montana, Idaho and Utah. He was educated at Lombard University, Galesburg, Ill., and graduated from the Hahnemann Medical College at Philadelphia, attending there in 1868-69. He commenced practice in New Jersey, and kept it up until he came here. He was married at Lincoln, May 5, 1874, to Celinda A. Ross, a native of St. Joseph County, Ind. They have two children, Royal E. and Lloyd Garrison. The doctor is a member of the Nebraska State Medical Society and of the Northwestern Academy of Medicine. He also belongs to the A., F. & A. M.
A. D. BURR, Clerk of the District Court for Lancaster County, came to Nebraska in the spring of 1869, and made several trips between that date and his permanent location, in the spring of 1874. In the summer of 1875 he was appointed Deputy County Clerk, which position he held two years. September 7, 1878, by authority of the Legislature, Hon. S. B. Pound, Judge of the District Court, Second Judicial District of Nebraska, appointed Mr. Burr Clerk of the District Court for Lancaster County, and the Legislature of 1879 making that office an elective one, he was elected to that position, October, 1879. His term expires in 1884. He was born at St. Charles, Kane Co., Ill., January 20, 1845. From 1852 to 1862 he lived at Dixon, Lee Co., and then enlisted in Battery D, First Illinois Artillery, serving three years. After the fall of Atlanta in 1864, and until his discharge at Louisville, Ky., June, 1865, he was private secretary for Maj.-Gen. Frank P. Blair, commanding the Seventeenth Army Corps. He located at Chicago and entered the army of commercial tourists, known as traveling men, and followed that profession until the fire in October, 1871, which swept occupation and home, No. 186 N. Dearborn street, into ashes. He then went to New York City, No. 93 Wall street, in the brokerage business, and there remained until he came to Nebraska. He is a member of G. A. R., and is Ex-quartermaster of Farragut Post, No. 25, Department of Nebraska, and was a Delegate to the last National Encampment at Indianapolis, Ind. He is also an A., F. & A. M.
[RESIDENCE OF HON. C. C. BURR.]
CARLOS C. BURR, attorney at law, came to Lincoln June 26, 1868, and has been engaged in practice all of the time since, except he worked for bread and butter for a time at the carpenters' trade, and helped to build the Statesman's office, old Catholic Church and other buildings. He was a member of the first City Council, and of the State Legislature in 1873-74. He was born at St. Charles, Kane Co. Ill., and reared at Dixon, Lee County. He read law with Hon. J. K. Edsall, at Dixon. He was married to Mary E. Smith, a native of Lee County, at Dixon, Ill., June 22, 1868. They have four children--Frank S., Bertie O., Grace and Helen. Mr. B. is a member of the K. of P. He enlisted in Company E, One Hundred and Fortieth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, in March, 1864, and served until February, 1865, when he re enlisted in Company D, Fifteenth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, joining the regiment at Raleigh, N. C. He has President Lincoln's thanks for meritorious services, and was finally mustered out in November, 1865.
LIONEL C. BURR, attorney at law, was born at St. Charles, Kane Co., Ill. in July, 1847, and was reared at Dixon, Ill. He lived at the latter place until he entered the army in December, 1862, in Battery F, Illinois Artillery. He served until the summer of 1865, when he was mustered out. He was engaged in the Atlanta campaign up to the capture of that place, and was laid up from wounds only two weeks during his service. He returned to Dixon, and for four years prior to coming to Lincoln, in October, 1872, he read law at Winona, Minn. He commenced his practice here. He was married at Dixon, Ill., October 12, 1868, to Aldana Giles, a native of New Hampton, N. H. They have two children--Charles L., aged twelve; and May A., aged seven.
SILAS H. BURNHAM, attorney at law, came to Lincoln in December, 1880, and has been engaged in practice here since January 1, 1881, though he gives most of his attention to money loaning on real estate and other good security. He was born in Norway, Oxford Co., Me., April 12, 1848. That was his home until he came to Lincoln. He was educated at the schools of his native place and at Dartmouth College, graduating there in 1874. He was married at Glasgow, Ky., in October, 1876, to Eliza Lewis, a native of Kentucky. They have two children--Sarah L., and Joseph. Mr. B. is a member of K. of P., and of the Union Club.
S. W. BURNHAM, farmer and stock dealer, was born in 1845, in Maine, and after leaving school, at the age of seventeen, enlisted in the army in the Seventeenth Maine, Company C, and participated in all of the principal battles of the army of the Potomac, and after the battle of Chauntillise was presented with a gold medal for acts of bravery, by Gen. Sickles, and during active service was promoted to First Lieutenant, and mustered out in 1865, at Portland, Me. After which engaged in the nursery business, in Maine, for about five years. Sold out and went to Kentucky, remaining there four years, carrying on the same business, and in 1876 came to Lincoln, Neb., and purchased an improved farm of some 200 acres, as well as a section and a half of herd land west of the farm, all situated in Yankee Precinct, Section 3 and 4, Township 9, Range 6, and engaged in stock raising, his herd consisting principally of graded cattle and hogs, and is considered to be one of the most prominent dealers in stock in the county. Was married to a Miss Sarah Deep, of Glasgow, Ky. Has been a Mason for sixteen years, and belongs to Lodge 55, State of Maine; also a member of the Grand Army of the Republic.
O. F. BUTT, locomotive engineer, B. & M. R. R., in Nebraska, was born in Burlington, Iowa, June 6, 1857. Came to Nebraska in 1875, and located at Plattsmouth. He then entered the service of the B. & M. R. R., as engineer on the Ferry Line, between Plattsmouth and East Plattsmouth. Has been in charge of a locomotive about three years.
CARPENDER & STEINER, drugs and druggists' sundries, commenced business in 1880, succeeding W. C. Newman & Co. Carry a stock of $4,500. C. L. Carpender of the above firm was born in Painesville, Ohio, May 10, 1844. In 1858 he went into the drug business and in 1868 engaged in the practice of medicine in different parts of the State, in which he continued until he came to Nebraska in 1880. He was married in Wapakoneta, Auglaize Co., Ohio, September 16, 1874, to Miss Celesta M. Steiner, of Hardin County. They have two children, Eda and Carl. Mr. Carpender is a member of the A., F. & A. M. Lodge, Chapter and Commandery of Ohio, of the I. O. O. F. Lodge and Encampment, of the K. of P. and of the Royal Arcanum. He is P. H. P. of the R. A. M., and P. C. of the K. of P. C. Steiner of the above firm, was born in Kenton, Ohio, April 22, 1859. Educated there and at the Western University at Pittsburgh, Pa. Was engaged in clerking until he came to Nebraska, April, 1880.
THOMAS CARR, liquor dealer, was born in County Dublin, Ireland, in November, 1848, where he was raised and educated. In August, 1866, he came to the United States and remained in New York for a few months. Returned to Ireland in order to take part in the Fenian rising. In 1867 came back to the United States. Located in New York and engaged in the grocery business. In 1869 came to Omaha and was employed by the U. P. R. R. Co. as clerk in the office of their purchasing agent for about one year. Then went to Minnesota and worked for the Northern Pacific R. R. Co. Then for the International at Texas. Then went to Arkansas and worked at bridge work on the Chico and Pine Bluff R. R., and from thence to Memphis. In December, 1872, came to Lincoln and acted as outside guard at the penitentiary for a few months. Then as clerk in a wholesale and retail store in the city, after which he started a soap factory in the north part of the city, carrying on that business for about one year, and in 1877 was elected City Marshal for one term and re-elected in 1878 for another term. Then went railroading until the spring of 1881, when he opened up a wine, liquor and cigar business in connection with a Mr. Heelon, on the north side of the Government Square, and now is sole proprietor of the business, and through close attention to business commands a large trade. Was married in 1881 to Miss Emma Graw, of France. Is a member of the I. O. O. F. Lancaster Lodge No 34, also of the Knights of Pythias and a member of the Land League.